Why is Austin so full of pretentious people?

Posted in the Brushy Creek Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tell me more

San Antonio, TX

#1 Jul 19, 2012
Seriously, why is it so full of pretentious people? I moved here about 3 months ago from Chicago, and I cannot get over how cool people think they are here. Yes, there are some nice things here, and yes, it is nicer than living in San Antonio, but seriously people, it's still Texas. I have never seen so many soulless, pretend environmentalist, attachment parenting, self involved morons in all of my life. You are all a bunch of sheep who just follow the latest "cool thing." Get a clue.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#2 Jul 20, 2012
tell me more wrote:
Seriously, why is it so full of pretentious people? I moved here about 3 months ago from Chicago, and I cannot get over how cool people think they are here. Yes, there are some nice things here, and yes, it is nicer than living in San Antonio, but seriously people, it's still Texas. I have never seen so many soulless, pretend environmentalist, attachment parenting, self involved morons in all of my life. You are all a bunch of sheep who just follow the latest "cool thing." Get a clue.
It did nto used to be like this. This is the result of all the California Raisens and Yankee Carpetbaggers who have flooded into the area these past 20 years.
JULIO

Dallas, TX

#3 Jul 20, 2012
ok i tell why mister. is all the pot smoke happen this place ok? is alo turn these people gay!
El Cid

Austin, TX

#4 Jul 20, 2012
JULIO wrote:
ok i tell why mister. is all the pot smoke happen this place ok? is alo turn these people gay!
You must speak from direct experience then.
tell me more

San Antonio, TX

#5 Jul 20, 2012
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>
It did nto used to be like this. This is the result of all the California Raisens and Yankee Carpetbaggers who have flooded into the area these past 20 years.
That's what long-time residents have been telling me. I hear it used to be a cool hippie town, but all of the transplants from Cali have ruined it. That's too bad, it really is a cute little city, but it's overrun with hipsters and lululemon moms.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#6 Jul 20, 2012
tell me more wrote:
<quoted text>That's what long-time residents have been telling me. I hear it used to be a cool hippie town, but all of the transplants from Cali have ruined it. That's too bad, it really is a cute little city, but it's overrun with hipsters and lululemon moms.
Yup, born and raised here and these 20 or so years I have seen the city go down the toilet and taxes shoot up more than double.
Was a nice somewhat sleepy, and very affordable univeristy and government town.
People are fleeing the sewers they created and are recreating it here.
tell me more

San Antonio, TX

#7 Jul 20, 2012
El Cid wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, born and raised here and these 20 or so years I have seen the city go down the toilet and taxes shoot up more than double.
Was a nice somewhat sleepy, and very affordable univeristy and government town.
People are fleeing the sewers they created and are recreating it here.
I agree, it's too bad Austin has to suffer for it. I have met some really nice people here, who were born and raised, and I am a transplant myself, but I do not push my Chicago ways and ideas on the people here. Wish the other transplants would do the same....
Chuggaboom

Austin, TX

#8 Jul 20, 2012
tell me more wrote:
<quoted text>I agree, it's too bad Austin has to suffer for it. I have met some really nice people here, who were born and raised, and I am a transplant myself, but I do not push my Chicago ways and ideas on the people here. Wish the other transplants would do the same....
Well my family come to Texas from Ireland in 1842 and I never try to pass judgement on another. Afterall, good judgement comes from experience and alot of that comes from bad judgement.
In Texas remember three things, drink upstream from the herd, never slap a man chewing tobacco, and marry a big and tall woman cos she can work hard on the ranch, keep yer warm in the winters, and will give off good shade in the summer.

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#9 Jul 21, 2012
It's still one of the best places I've lived IMO.
A Thought

Vacaville, CA

#10 Jul 21, 2012
Surprised to see this info. Was there on a roadtrip last month; only a few days. Didn't notice the attitude. But then again when your spending money at a local business, people seem to like you ok. Who knows what they said about me when I left. :-)
JULIO

Dallas, TX

#11 Jul 21, 2012
mister if you smoke the pot they say ok here another gay!
Tim

Paso Robles, CA

#12 Jul 29, 2012
I was in Austin, TX from April untill July, and I couldn't agree more. The two things that were the most aggravating was the heat and the hipsters. The heat I could tolerate. Hipsters, not so much
You can blame California transpants,, but i'm from San Diego, and the attitude is nowhere as bad as Austin.
It's funny, they cling to "keep Austin weird" slogan, but I've never been to such a gentrified (i.e segregated) city.
I will say the bars on Red River, which most of the patrons were rockabilly/biker/punk were laid back with no bullshit attitude. Same goes for the Broken Spoke.

Good luck, and if a hipster gives you attitude, call em out, they back peddle and change their tine real quick.
El Cid

Austin, TX

#13 Jul 29, 2012
JULIO wrote:
mister if you smoke the pot they say ok here another gay!
Sounds like you speak of experience, lay off the dope then maybe you not gay anymore. Is reason it is called dope and not smart.
mike

United States

#14 Aug 15, 2012
you know i agree ive been here for a few months and live wth a self proclaimed hipster who judges people left and right its killing me i ve met realy cool almost modern hipie ppl and i love them but these ppl who think their better than ppl becouse they shop at whole foods everyday I cant stand it I love whole foods but ur a person just like the ppl who shop at wal mart or heb or were ever im starting not to like this place becouse of these ass whole ppl
cch

Houston, TX

#15 Aug 15, 2012
Liberalism has ruined Austin. I wish all those coming from liberal states would leave there liberal mentality behind or just don't come here at all.
Leon

San Antonio, TX

#16 Aug 16, 2012
You obviously need to pack your duds and leave Austin. The sooner, the better
cwl94

Austin, TX

#17 Feb 16, 2013
@cch My guess is that you are a conservative transplant to Houston from another state expecting the whole state to be conservative. Austin has been the liberal oasis of texas since the 60s. I remember my grandma still talking bad about Liberal Austin in the 60s and 70s. So regardless of your opinion that liberals are making Austin a 'bad' place you are unaware of its liberal history. In fact, my observation of the last 20 years is Austin has continued to move more conservative. Maybe ti is about time we go back to the Liberal ways and make Austin 'awesome' again.
Newbie

Edinburg, TX

#18 Feb 24, 2013
Cause they have been here and you are probably new to Austin like myself.
White People

Austin, TX

#19 Feb 25, 2013
Austin gives Texans a bad name.
"Only steers and queers come from Texas, private cowboy..."
-Full Metal Jacket
sick of em all

Houston, TX

#20 Mar 19, 2013
I hate the hipsters, queers and transplants. There was a time when "lady bird lake" was "town lake" when there were no such thing as traffic. Whole foods and the vegans were gone.... I miss those days

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brushy Creek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 2 hr K 678
need that balck 23 hr newntown22 1
need party favors Fri newntown22 1
Where is Charlie brown ? Fri newntown22 1
The republicans party only want the white rich ... Fri iknow 3
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Fri Manny 535
trying to meet that black Fri germs123 4
Brushy Creek Dating
Find my Match

Brushy Creek Jobs

Brushy Creek People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brushy Creek News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brushy Creek

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]