Motorcycle crashes kill 5 over weekend

Motorcycle crashes kill 5 over weekend

There are 60 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 11, 2008, titled Motorcycle crashes kill 5 over weekend. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

It was a deadly weekend for motorcycle riders in Northeast Ohio. The Medina and Wooster posts of the State Highway Patrol are investigating four motorcycle crashes that killed five people.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#43 Aug 12, 2008
Ohioians should always be able to choose whether they prefer to wear a helmet or not, these rights should never be taken away by the ultra left liberal weeneies who think they've been put on this earth to protect us since we don't have the mental means to protect ourselves. Stay out of OUR business!!

Since: Oct 07

United States

#44 Aug 12, 2008
Use Common Sense wrote:
Ohioians should always be able to choose whether they prefer to wear a helmet or not, these rights should never be taken away by the ultra left liberal weeneies who think they've been put on this earth to protect us since we don't have the mental means to protect ourselves. Stay out of OUR business!!
Hate to tell you... its not just liberals. I am a conservative and I like helmet and seatbelt laws. Please see my earlier posts for explanation. I do not care about protecting you... I care about protecting my (financial in this case) well being.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#45 Aug 12, 2008
Uncle Ed wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to tell you... its not just liberals. I am a conservative and I like helmet and seatbelt laws. Please see my earlier posts for explanation. I do not care about protecting you... I care about protecting my (financial in this case) well being.
Then as a conservative you would believe that if you want to wear a seat belt or helmet that should be your own choice, since that's the view of conservatism,(smaller gov't, lower taxes, less intrusion and etc). The liberal weenies stand for, more taxes, more gov't intrusions, gov't support programs, more costs to workers, more tax money to people who don't want to work.

United States

#46 Aug 12, 2008
Use Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Then as a conservative you would believe that if you want to wear a seat belt or helmet that should be your own choice, since that's the view of conservatism,(smaller gov't, lower taxes, less intrusion and etc). The liberal weenies stand for, more taxes, more gov't intrusions, gov't support programs, more costs to workers, more tax money to people who don't want to work.
You are a moron if you believe it is that black and white.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#48 Aug 12, 2008
Uncle Ed wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see, a weenie posing as a conservative. Cute
Well There You Go

Bedford, OH

#49 Aug 12, 2008
Use Common Sense wrote:
I agree. You can also throw in that mix the ridiculous smoking law that was passed too.

United States

#50 Aug 12, 2008
Use Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I see, a weenie posing as a conservative. Cute
Ah... so we get to the crux of the matter. I do not completely agree with your views, so I MUST be a "liberal weenie". That makes a lot of sense.

Call me whatever you want. You have nothing logical to say about my stance, so you result to name calling.

Regardless, I could care less what people do. Spend your money on lottery tickets, smoke cigarettes, drink all day long... as long as you do not impact me, I could care less.

However, to bring this conversation back around to the topic, those who do not wear a seatbelt could get injured worse in an accident than if they were wearing one... thus I am financially responsible for more medical bills because of their decisions.
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#51 Aug 12, 2008
Well There You Go wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. You can also throw in that mix the ridiculous smoking law that was passed too.
Amen to that!!
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#52 Aug 12, 2008
Uncle Ed wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless, I could care less what people do. Spend your money on lottery tickets, smoke cigarettes, drink all day long... as long as you do not impact me, I could care less.
However, to bring this conversation back around to the topic, those who do not wear a seatbelt could get injured worse in an accident than if they were wearing one... thus I am financially responsible for more medical bills because of their decisions.
Well I have to admit you're screwing me up pretty badly here.

You don't care what people do as long as it doesn't impact you.(Bravo, applause, applause) we'd all be better people if everyone stopped worrying what the other people are doing.

But you believe everyone must wear a seatbelt because it'll impact you financially. Isn't that the same thing as saying "everyone must not eat eggs because it will impact you financially"??
Please tell ME how me not wearing a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet could possibly hurt YOU personally.

PS. Liberals are weenies so by association if you're a liberal you're a weenie, no name calling intended.
May Fong

Sheffield Lake, OH

#53 Aug 12, 2008
half million miles bike wrote:
<quoted text>GOODIE,You are sooo right ,you shouldnot drink and drive, YOU are sooo WRONG in your statement in Wayne co it is OK to pass on the right THE MOTORCYCLE HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY he passed in a single lane, not on the birm ,you see two mc's fit in one lane side by side , therefore he had the right of way, the onecoming car NEVER opened their EYES wide to EVEN pay attention to the second bike JUST ASSUMED they would also turn [in other words driving with eyes WIDE SHUT ]and TURNED RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE BIKE! now in this SITUATION whether drunk or sober I DO STILL HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY !!!!!!!
You may have the right of WAY but the cars and Trucks out there have the right of WEIGHT...

Best to be on guard constantly when you ride.
concerned citizen

Jeffersonville, OH

#54 Aug 12, 2008
Uncle Ed wrote:
<quoted text>
no - common sense made a good point - does it help your little ego to call people moron?

United States

#55 Aug 12, 2008
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
no - common sense made a good point - does it help your little ego to call people moron?
I never called him a moron. I simply stated that only a moron would believe that a political affiliation is as simple as a few issues. People are complex, as are their political beliefs.

Now if I wanted to insult him... I would use the name you just gave him... NO COMMON SENSE
Use Common Sense

Kent, OH

#56 Aug 12, 2008
Uncle Ed wrote:
<quoted text>
I never called him a moron. I simply stated that only a moron would believe that a political affiliation is as simple as a few issues. People are complex, as are their political beliefs.
Now if I wanted to insult him... I would use the name you just gave him... NO COMMON SENSE
I think there was a -(dash) in there somewhere.

Oh by the way I doubt that you can insult me. I'm pretty thick skinned.
a praying person

Mansfield, OH

#58 Aug 18, 2008
I feel for the families. Including the Griffiths. They have to live with this for the rest of their lives. They were NOT on their cell phones. Where were the helmets and protective gear?? I see many motorcycle drivers without helmets. i just got passed on a two lane road yesterday by a motorcylist. Where is the compassion and forgiveness that God wants us to have?? Maybe we should all pray a little more for each other. I will be praying for all those involved!

Since: Jul 08

Louisville, OH

#59 Aug 18, 2008
There is no compassion from the conservatives and no forgiveness from the liberals. They're all weenies.

Maybe we should start a new thread for all this being that this was about the 5 deaths originally.
TDS

Orrville, OH

#61 Sep 13, 2008
My daughter saw the Orrville couple near the intersection of Co Rd 27 and SR 57 moments before the crash. She told me the bike was running terribly - making alot of racket and she thought the head light was flickering off and on. Where this happened - there is a slight dip in the road - the bike may have had enough mechanical problems combined with the dip in the road that the kid from Orrville just did not see it in time?
Terrible shame this happened.
BrainyBroad

Mansfield, OH

#62 Sep 14, 2008
Alexandra wrote:
<quoted text>
No. No more nanny state, thank you. I wear a seat belt and fasten my son in not because it's the law, but because I feel it's safer.
That should be up to the individual. People should be aware of the risks and act accordingly. Laws are NOT needed.
I'm totally in favor of leaving it up to the individual...as long as the individual signs a document that says the "nanny state" (including hospitals) shall have no requirement to care for said individual in case of an accident.

In effect, if you're riding without safety gear and you can't afford the hospital, don't expect the public to foot the bills for you. We wouldn't want to infringe on your "rights", but that means you'll have to deal with the consequences, up to and including death due to lack of medical care that you can't afford.

Since: Mar 08

Massillon, OH

#63 Sep 14, 2008
BrainyBroad wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm totally in favor of leaving it up to the individual...as long as the individual signs a document that says the "nanny state" (including hospitals) shall have no requirement to care for said individual in case of an accident.
In effect, if you're riding without safety gear and you can't afford the hospital, don't expect the public to foot the bills for you. We wouldn't want to infringe on your "rights", but that means you'll have to deal with the consequences, up to and including death due to lack of medical care that you can't afford.
If your going to mandate things like this why not add:
Businesses have coverd walk ways entering and exting a store out to the parking lot to protect from ice so people dont fall.
Stop lights at EVERY cross street.
People who drive and cant afford more than liability ins should drive around in tanks so they cant get injured.
People who cant afford health care should just live like a hermit and not leave the house because if they get hurt they cant afford the bills.

If you are going to do this you should do it all the way, why just stop there.
WALKWITHGODNOW

San Francisco, CA

#64 Jul 9, 2009
goodie wrote:
<quoted text>
He will be charged with vehicular manslaughter. If he was drunk, then it will be a felony because it is considered intentional. If he was sober, it will be a misdemeanor vehicular manslaugher because it was unintentional.
The intersection where this happened has had two fatal accidents in four months. Both accidents involved passing. This is a dangerous intersection with 55 mph country roads! Intersections should be no passing zones! The first accident involved a repeat offender drunk driver who was 0.228 BAC, no helmet, making a dangerous pass on the right of another motorcycle in a no passing zone. He t-boned an SUV and lost his life. The sober man driving the SUV is being charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter. Please understand that in Wayne County, motorcycles are ALLOWED to pass on the right (crazy). And, apparently, it is OK to drink and drive as long as you have enough experience that you are good at it. The Wayne Co. prosecutors are now using tax payer dollars to defend a drunk driver!!!
My sympathies to all involved. These are terrible accidents. We all need to do what we can to be safe--cars AND motorcycles! Please wear helmets, don't make dangerous passes, and DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!
You say that a motorcycle can leagally pass on the right in Wayne County? According to a jury member who has been posting on another thread, the jury based the acquittal on Shanklin making an "ILLEGAL" pass on the right. This jury member stated that the alcohol level was not a factor in the jury's decision, it was the fact that Shanklin passed "ILLEGALLY". Did Shanklin make a legal pass on the right after all?
Here Here

Stockbridge, GA

#65 Jul 11, 2009
Paul Kersey Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
If your going to mandate things like this why not add:
Businesses have coverd walk ways entering and exting a store out to the parking lot to protect from ice so people dont fall.
Stop lights at EVERY cross street.
People who drive and cant afford more than liability ins should drive around in tanks so they cant get injured.
People who cant afford health care should just live like a hermit and not leave the house because if they get hurt they cant afford the bills.
If you are going to do this you should do it all the way, why just stop there.
I agree with ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Medina County auditor releases financial and re... Aug 16 KEM 2
the music thread (Apr '12) Aug 11 Musikologist 22
News Second Strongsville Teacher is Arrested, Charged (Mar '13) Aug 5 Nicehirestrongsville 8
Shooting range? Aug 1 mobile99 1
Drunk driver northbound on Prospect Road crosse... Jul 23 Catchthem 1
News Medina County revenues break pre-recession record (Jan '17) Jul '17 Whitey 2
Rental shoes sole falling apart Jul '17 Toni 1

Brunswick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brunswick Mortgages