Motorcycle crashes kill 5 over weekend

There are 20 comments on the Aug 11, 2008, Akron Beacon Journal story titled Motorcycle crashes kill 5 over weekend. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

It was a deadly weekend for motorcycle riders in Northeast Ohio. The Medina and Wooster posts of the State Highway Patrol are investigating four motorcycle crashes that killed five people.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Soulman

Akron, OH

#1 Aug 11, 2008
They should charge Brien Griffith with vehicular homicide.

“LOCAL REPORTER DISCOVERS.....”

Since: Jul 08

What? My birth town?

#2 Aug 11, 2008
Wow, how sad. Some were caused by the rider, but others were so sad. As a former biker it hurts to hear this.

A bad weekend indeed
Steve G

United States

#3 Aug 11, 2008
Soulman wrote:
Based on the very limited information we have I would agree. I am a motorcyclist and I know how dangerous it is. That is why I wear full safety gear (helmet, pants, jacket, boots & gloves) all the time. But when somebody crosses into your path with a larger vehicle and crashes with a motorcycle head on no amount of safety gear is going to protect you.

Very sad. Sorry for the loss of my fellow riders.
Kim

Park Ridge, NJ

#4 Aug 11, 2008
My husband and I don't ride anymore due the higher precentages of injuries and deaths on motorcycles. Yes, some injuries and deaths are caused by the motorcyclist themselves, but its the other people on the road that have no regard to motorcycles or are less aware of them on the road. People, pay attention!!!!
Just my opinion

Akron, OH

#5 Aug 11, 2008
My sympathy to all of the families for their loss. I wish they would change the law and make it mandatory to wear a helmet; I lost a friend recently to a motorcycle accident, he wasn't wearing a helmet.

It is the law that you must wear a seatbelt while riding in a car, with metal all around you, but you are not required to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. This just doesn't make sense to me.
Tom Action Jackson

Tuscarawas, OH

#6 Aug 11, 2008
Soulman wrote:
not if he was sober it's bad enough he has to live with thisbut they do call them accidents that highway is bad when you get people going 30 mpg UNDER limit you pass dangerous yes need passing lanes
Alexandra

Wooster, OH

#7 Aug 11, 2008
Soulman wrote:
Agreed. He was apparently in a hurry and two people died because of his impatience. You have to watch passing on two-lane roads (which Route 57 is).
Alexandra

Wooster, OH

#8 Aug 11, 2008
Just my opinion wrote:
My sympathy to all of the families for their loss. I wish they would change the law and make it mandatory to wear a helmet; I lost a friend recently to a motorcycle accident, he wasn't wearing a helmet.
It is the law that you must wear a seatbelt while riding in a car, with metal all around you, but you are not required to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. This just doesn't make sense to me.
No. No more nanny state, thank you. I wear a seat belt and fasten my son in not because it's the law, but because I feel it's safer.

That should be up to the individual. People should be aware of the risks and act accordingly. Laws are NOT needed.
Steve G

United States

#9 Aug 11, 2008
Just my opinion wrote:
Sorry for your loss, but your friend should have been wearing a helmet. I am not a big fan of helmet laws, or the time and energy spent fighting against them them. But I believe that every rider should wear full protective gear. I won't even ride with somebody that doesn't wear a helmet.

What we need is some revisions to laws so that people who kill or injure vulnerable road users (motorcyclist, bicyclists, pedestrians, etc.) are charged with serious crimes. I've read too many stories where somebody kills another in an accidnent with their car and they are given a citation for some minor traffic violation. No more serious charges like vehicular homicide, etc. People say "well it was just an accident, they didn't mean it." But if you drive a 2 ton vehicle, and kill somebody with it that shouldn't matter. Without some potential consequences people will continue to kill/mame others on the road.
Steve G

United States

#11 Aug 11, 2008
Tom Action Jackson wrote:
<quoted text>not if he was sober it's bad enough he has to live with thisbut they do call them accidents that highway is bad when you get people going 30 mpg UNDER limit you pass dangerous yes need passing lanes
Disagree completely. This is the mentality of many. It was only an accident. They didn't mean to do it. They will have to live with it the rest of their lives. But the people they killed don't get to live the rest of their lives. And their families lose a loved one.

If you are driving a car and have an accident that seriously injures or kills another person there should be a penalty for that. Not just a traffic citation. It shouldn't matter whether you were impaired, or not. If you cannot drive a vehicle responsibly and watch for all other users on the road then you shouldn't be driving.

Now if the person who was injured is at fault (a kid who jumped out into the street, the motorcyclist who is speeding in and out of traffic and gets hit, etc.) I don't think the driver of the car should be found guilty.
defensive rider

Akron, OH

#13 Aug 11, 2008
I ride and wear a helmet and jacket. I do it because I believe my life is more important than feeling the wind, looking cool, or whatever excuse people who don't wear them use. I have avoided sooo many accidents from stupid people not paying attention.

Losing control can happen at anytime to anyone. But inattentiveness is not an accident, whether on cell phone or just not watching.
Working stiff

Akron, OH

#14 Aug 11, 2008
Just my opinion wrote:
I agree, wearing a helmet should be a law. There will always be accidents on the roads, car vs car, but when it is car vs motorcycle and they do not wear a helmet, then you can almost always guess the outcome. You can't charge the driver of the car with a homicide, when the person may not have died it they were wearing a helmet.
lady rider

Beachwood, OH

#15 Aug 11, 2008
Wearing a helmet is not going to help when you are hit by a car, truck, etc.
Just my opinion wrote:

Since: Oct 07

United States

#16 Aug 11, 2008
Alexandra wrote:
<quoted text>
No. No more nanny state, thank you. I wear a seat belt and fasten my son in not because it's the law, but because I feel it's safer.
That should be up to the individual. People should be aware of the risks and act accordingly. Laws are NOT needed.
Wrong. Seat belts and helmets need to be law not to protect the rider, but to protect my financial liability as another driver.
lady rider

Beachwood, OH

#17 Aug 11, 2008
Wearing a helmet is not going to save a bike rider when you are hit by a car, truck, etc. People need to put down the cell phones and watch where they are going. Ban cell phone use in vehicles.
defensive rider

Akron, OH

#18 Aug 11, 2008
lady rider wrote:
Wearing a helmet is not going to help when you are hit by a car, truck, etc. <quoted text>
I am a lady rider too and I'm sorry but I do believe hitting my head on something with a helmet on will bring about a better outcome than hitting it on something without one...at least the chances of survival are going to be a little higher. I'd rather have to heal from being busted up than to die from a major head injury or worse, to live with a major head injury.
defensive rider

Akron, OH

#19 Aug 11, 2008
lady rider wrote:
Wearing a helmet is not going to save a bike rider when you are hit by a car, truck, etc. People need to put down the cell phones and watch where they are going. Ban cell phone use in vehicles.
Yes I think cell phones should be banned too...how many times have u avoided a near wreck and see the stupid driver on a cell phone. It aggravates the crap out of me. But we have to do what we can to be as safe as we can, cuz there will always always be stupid people behind a wheel.
concerned citizen

South Vienna, OH

#20 Aug 11, 2008
Steve G wrote:
<quoted text>
Disagree completely. This is the mentality of many. It was only an accident. They didn't mean to do it. They will have to live with it the rest of their lives. But the people they killed don't get to live the rest of their lives. And their families lose a loved one.
If you are driving a car and have an accident that seriously injures or kills another person there should be a penalty for that. Not just a traffic citation. It shouldn't matter whether you were impaired, or not. If you cannot drive a vehicle responsibly and watch for all other users on the road then you shouldn't be driving.
Now if the person who was injured is at fault (a kid who jumped out into the street, the motorcyclist who is speeding in and out of traffic and gets hit, etc.) I don't think the driver of the car should be found guilty.
I disagree,Steve. The very word accident implies unavoidable. now I realize its usage in car wrecks isnt limited to that meaning but.. there is a huge difference between a wreck where your negligence caused it vs a 'true' accident and I think the current laws handle that. Unfortunately, proving negligence after the fact is admittedly difficult. maybe, the more I talk, the more I agree with you ..smile. We use the presence of alcohol to 'prove' you were at fault even though that might not be the case.

I think I will shut up on this one.
Just my opinion

Akron, OH

#21 Aug 11, 2008
lady rider wrote:
Accidents are not always caused by cars, and it helps if you are wearing a helmet when you hit a tree, which unfortunately happens quite often. I know someone who had an accident on a motorcycle, no car was involved, he had a head injury because he wasn't wearing a helmet, and he is not completely right anymore.

Since: Aug 08

Hyattsville, MD

#22 Aug 11, 2008
Yes-very sad weekend indeed. I can say I have never been on a motorcycle, but when I see one, I am on full alert! They look very vulnerable and especially if they aren't wearing a helmets. It is beyond me why this isn't a law already. It just might save alot of heartache. My heart goes out to the families!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Animal Planet Investigates Petland (May '10) Apr 20 AliceClare59 33
Review: Crawlers Unlimited (Mar '14) Apr 13 rons 5
News Second Strongsville Teacher is Arrested, Charged (Mar '13) Mar '15 Brian King nimby 6
Cowardly Thomas Truelson (Mar '13) Mar '15 Secrets 3
News Video of Substitute Teacher is Making Waves in ... (Apr '13) Mar '15 King Victim Too 4
Looking for a nice lady Mar '15 Bad dude 2
Debate: Marijuana - Brunswick, OH (Aug '10) Feb '15 Judge Judy 6
More from around the web

Brunswick People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]