Columbus County Needs An Honest Sheri...

Columbus County Needs An Honest Sheriff, Replace Batten.

Posted in the Brunswick Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ron McCauley

United States

#1 Mar 27, 2011
You got rid of a corrupt District Attorney and took the first step. Remove the Sheriff that does not follow the law and operates from his own created law. Remove Chris Batten. Restore the people's faith in the criminal justice system. Justice should be for everyone, the black, the white, the young, the old, the rich and yes even for the poor citizens. Remove Chris Batten and put in a Sheriff that does not lie and one that will not continually get the County sued.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rex Jones

Benson, NC

#3 Apr 3, 2011
Not only is the Sheriff gone bad but so have most of the judges. We ehould be thankful that Rex Gore was thrown out and thankful that Pope did not make it in. Pope would have allowed business as usual. This David guy is not from here and these corrupt officials are sweating. They are not going to be able to pull the wool over this guy's eyes too easily. Anyway I wish I could say we did better by losing Mr. Soles but I see that Mr. Tyler is courting the new Senator so this might be bad. If the new Senator does not start distancing himself from Mr. Tyler and the Dems we need to replace him in 2 years. The Democrat party in this area has corrupted County Commissioners, Judges, Senators, Mayors and other elected officials. There are some good Dems, I am one of them but I voted otherwise this election as I am sick and tired of what a few at the top have done. Half of our officials should be in jail. We need more Mr. Davids and we need 'em now.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Abby-Lake Waccamaw

Wilmington, NC

#4 Apr 5, 2011
Lake Waccamaw- By the North Carolina State code definition a camper does not require a permit to travel down the highway. Go Figure- the mobile home that Mr. Batten has at Lake Waccamaw is too wide and not legally allowed to travel down the state roads. Our officials should abide by State Codes, but he did not. Not only is he leaving his mobile home there, but this mobile home traveled from location to his location without a permit. Now- to me who loves to party with the campground folks,that sets a bad example to our society who wants to not abide by county or state codes.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Halley Monteo

Benson, NC

#5 Apr 9, 2011
Mr. Batten does not respect the law himself. He does as he pleases and feeds Edwin Russ and others. Batten is a true bully and will use the taxpayers and his office to run his own investigations, lie, allow corruption to go on and do everything he can to facilitate Columbus County's past history of corruption. There are more cases than this that show Mr. Batten is a lawbreaker himself.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Liza Jane

Benson, NC

#6 Apr 12, 2011
Ok well let's talk about 'em all. I mean the rest of the gang in our county. Look at Russ, he is fed by the Sheriff who buys cars like crazy and shifts titles between Wilson at the Lake and others so that such appears "honest." Russ gets all of the wrecker calls that the Sheriff can push his way. Never mind the rest of us that have paid fortunes for insurance and earned the right to be on rotation. Russ is rumored to have had substance abuse problems and problems with a VERY young neighbor. This is from a few years back but do we really need a "sniffer" leading our administration? Byrd, look at his years of corruption going back to the late 80's. He was ruled incompetent and mentally defective yet he is reelected? And the corruption out of that courthouse, if you can even call it that. It is bad here and we need help.
Mike Watts

Benson, NC

#7 May 5, 2011
Slugs. they are all slugs. especially this Batten, he's the worst one.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
IndianaKirk

Ocala, FL

#8 May 16, 2011
Vote me in! I am currently in the law enforcement trenches and see unfair crap like this constantly! I would love a chance to be at the top and fix things.
Rachael Fipps

Russellville, TN

#9 Sep 15, 2011
Can you even find an honest official in Columbus County?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
To Rachael

Benson, NC

#10 Sep 17, 2011
You will find 1 out of 10 that are honest. But the 1 should be faulted for looking the other way.
amos adkins

Conway, SC

#13 Oct 16, 2011
wake forest viewer, we checked the records at the courthouse. looks like the ex was charged many many times, found guilty many many times and set free. strange as the ex admitted many many times that she had in fact commotted acts of domestic violence. if mr. mark did call someone and the ex had to pay an inspector, i hear you saying that the ex broke the law, was reported and you are upset that she got caught? like most of your stories, someone did wrong but you blame mr. mark and when you have to pay up for doing wrong you blame everyone else.
Clock

Kenly, NC

#14 Oct 16, 2011
That type of behavior is taught in the local schools and is past on from generation to generation here in
Columbus County. Its called NOT taking responsibility for your own actions. It brings to mind one of many sayings they have around here like, "Look what you made me do". As long as no one is held accountable for there actions we have no one to blame but our selves.
viewer

Rocky Mount, NC

#15 Oct 22, 2011
if you will check closer you will see that her ex is the one who pressed the charges to get her out of the house so he could move another woman in.
viewer

Rocky Mount, NC

#16 Oct 22, 2011
yes we have heard all aboutit.
Jim Bridgers

East Liverpool, OH

#17 Oct 23, 2011
I thought the topic here was about Batten the Sheriff. Get on point folks or get off of this forum and create another. Chris Lee Batten is a liar and he should be prayed for. I cannot believe you elected a man of such character as the chief law enforcement officer. Did you not have any better choices? He's a thug and if left in office will become a millionaire. This deputy that is running around with his zipper open and sampling all of the married women is his KIN. Be for real. Do you not know this? This is the main reason he keeps this deputy that has stolen funds from the county's taxpayers. Batten should be arrested just like Ronnie Hewett, Sheriff of Brunswick County. Hewett done far less than Batten. Columbus voters just tolerate more corruption or are denied the facts thanks to the local paper failing to report the corruption.
Columbus County

Benson, NC

#18 Oct 31, 2011
Please find the attached pdf file showing the minutes from the Columbus County Commissioner's meeting wherein the Marva Scott DSS "Chris Batten Lie" is addressed. This was costly to the Columbus County taxpayers and NEVER addressed in the local Whiteville News Reporter. Wonder why? Scroll to the bottom of the public document and see for yourself what kind of man this Sheriff batten really is. To find greater detail of how he lied on the SBI, Marva Scott and others you would have to obtain a copy of the "Finding of Facts" and the depositions in the matter. These are not so hard to find. http://www.columbusco.org/minutes/2000s/2006-...

It is shameful that such a man can act as the head and top cop. He is clearly a liar and any case he works on or comments on should be suspect and his comments should be examined for truthfulness and accuracy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Found this

Benson, NC

#19 Nov 1, 2011
Remember when the Frink guy hung himself? Good ole Sheriff Batten told all sorts of lies as he tried to shovel the liability to neighboring Robeson County. The Good ole Sheriff is a real piece of work and cannot be trusted unless he has his hands in your pockets. He is a big tool and the long arm of the corrupt political players in the county and he must go. He bullies the good commissioners that want nothing better than to fix all that is broken in the county. Oh yeah almost forgot. It looks like the BIG lie that he told which COST the taxpayers has now climbed out of its bag. The Marva Scott lawsuit and eventual settlement caught Good ole Batten dead to right. He clearly lied on this hard working lady that has done so much for the citizens of the county and it damaged her reputation. He lied on a few more as it was also discovered during the depositions. Anyway those did not sue the county. Marva won here case thanks to Good ole Batten's actions and lies. The nearly $200,000 that Good ole Batten's lies cost the county to pay should have been much more. I am wondering when Good ole Batten will cost the county another lawsuit. Good ole "Bruno" Sheriff Chris Batten, a real loser for the county and its taxpayers.
John Harper

Benson, NC

#20 Nov 4, 2011
If there was an award for the sleaziest sheriffs it would have Chris Batten's picture beside of it. I am a Democrat that is ashamed of the way a few in my party have acted in Columbus County. The few corrupt judges and commissioners and the men behind the scenes AND Sheriff Chris Batten have destroyed the public's faith in my party in Columbus County. The name that we hold among the 99 other counties is shameful and embarrassing to say the least. Sheriff Batten and whoever dug him up from his hole he slithered around in should be ran out of Columbus County. As far as this new Republican DA, I am taking a wait and see approach. I will say this, I did not vote for him but neither did I vote for Rex Gore. The former DA was more for himself, his wallet and those that supported his campaign and his pocket more than he was about seeing justice in this area. Sheriff Batten mirrors the former DA as does a few of these longtime politically connected judges. It is sad to say but I trust no elected official in Columbus County. He who has not been already bought off has looked the other way one time too many. As a fellow Democrat that is frustrated, please, do not ask Sheriff Chris "thug" Batten to comment on anyone else. You will find that he cannot keep a straight story and will ALWAYS go back on what he says. See how there is now controversy surrounding what the story read and what he NOW claims he told the reporter? This is typical Chris Batten getting caught and crying wolf. My guess would be that the reporter told it exactly right, Batten got caught in his words and decided to change his mind. But them again, that is good old sheriff Chris Batten standing true to the name he has earned,“Liar, Liar Batten.” I have little doubt you will print this as the local News Reporter has failed to print several of my articles surrounding Chris Batten and complaints from the general public. But look around and you will see that I am 100 percent right. Thanks
linenbuyer

Paulsboro, NJ

#21 Nov 5, 2011
well you only have a few days to do something about Batten.... election day is around the corner and he is still running un-opposed. this is the only way he stays in office. It will be another two years before you get another chance. Are you willing to let this low life stay the sheriff???
If he had any balls he would just resign and end the lies and bullshit he has done in office.
Good Luck to those in Columbus County, I feel your pain.
Joel Stevens

Conway, SC

#22 Nov 6, 2011
Is Batten still Sheriff in that County? I was surprised when he got elected. But then again Etheridge bought Batten's way in so who am I to be surprised? Batten has always been a not so good person and does not have a hair of honesty in his bones. He was a liar as a boy, a liar in school and in church. So who believes he could be otherwise. Mary Kate is a ggod woman and much better than what Batten should have gotten. I feel sorry for her. Whoever wrote the Dukes of Hazard must have known Sheriff Christopher Lee "thug" Batten. God help you all in Columbus County.
Jamie

Conway, SC

#23 Nov 7, 2011
If the DA would pay the sheriff of or help him throw a few cases he would love the DA. That is how it is played in Columbus County. Ring ring, "Hello" "Hi this is Mr. Lawyer." "Oh I was waiting for your call." "The trial's tomorrow at 9:30." "Yep, I see, do you have my fee?" "Yes I do or I could represent your cousin in her divorce for nothing." "Nope, times are hard, she's on her own." "I see I was only thinking about the barter system, times are hard." "My officer will be sick for the $5,000 we spoke of and he will not show again." "I'm sending it on over."
Next day: Prosecuting witness does not show and the judge dismisses the case. The DWI offender, a local business owner and a supporter of certain campaigns-walks. Now that's real justice, Columbus County style.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aug 24 Robert Blackwell 2
Lewis Hatcher is not a Sheriff (Feb '15) Aug 19 Craziness 47
Did Anyone Get Kilt In The Shootout (Dec '11) Aug 18 Redneck 2
family nurse practioner Robert Huffman (Feb '12) Aug 5 maybe maybe not 20
News Becky Johnson Nance Jul '15 cheryl pruitt 1
Rollin 3o crip (Aug '07) Jul '15 BklaCCx39 233
Judge Douglas Sasser and Judge Jerry Jolly rele... (Sep '11) Jul '15 So 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brunswick Mortgages