Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, there is some livly discussion following the article, and naturally you've only posted those that support your position - cherry picking again?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/getreligion/2013... #
While I don't think Aslan's book makes any new arguments about Jesus, I do think that your focus on Aslan not having a History PhD is perhaps missing the mark. For example, Baylor's Rodney Stark has no history degrees (only sociology), and yet has written extensively on Christian history. In his recent "The Triumph of Christianity" the back cover even describes him as "acclaimed social and religious historian," instead of "sociologist." Now, Stark is a much more accomplished scholar than Aslan (I have only been able to find one peer-reviewed article published by Aslan), but it's not unheard of for a sociologist to find that their interests and studies overlap with religious history, and to present themselves as experts.....deleted for space
Lisa Hajjar :
" This article does catch something that Reza said during the interview that was not really accurate: that he has a PhD in the history of religion.... I can attest that his PhD is in Sociology. However, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he was being harangued by the interviewer and his academic credentials were on the line. He might have slipped about how he got that Sociology PhD: He made the move from Religious Studies to Sociology at the advice of his committee chair Mark Juergensmaye .... for--what I understood at the time--somewhat technical reasons, although my memory of this is fuzzy. I think the dealio was that he had a job offer ... and needed to defend quickly, and there were obstacles to fast tracking him out of Religious Studies.....He revised the dissertation to make it more explicitly sociological.... it was, really, an academic and elaborated version of his book which was already out,.... If there is a lesson in all this, it is: don't do Fox News interviews!"
My interest was the article, I didn't even read the comments, so your typical "cherry picking" comment is as irrelevant here as it always is.
But I do find the two comments you posted of interest. In the first, by Paul Putz, he himself mentions how he could only find one peer reviewed article by Aslan. And I see you ignored his second post where Mr Putz, while not conceding that Aslan misrepresented his credential, would agree that it would be "a problem" if he did. Mr Putz then went on to relate how he could find no confirmation of what Aslan's degrees were in, every site he went to said something different - I find that strange, how about you?
The second post you used first acknowledges that Aslan was not accurate in describing his curriculum vitae and then tries to make excuses for Aslan by saying that he was being "harangued". Ummm, nope. He made the first misleading claim that "I am a scholar with a PhD in the History of Religions" in his initial response to Green. He then repeated the claim twice. One might misspeak once, but three times - nope.
"I am an expert with a PhD in the History of Religions."
"I am a PhD in the History of Religions."
And when talking about religions in general, he states he is a "PhD in the subject" .
I think most academics would agree there is a teeny tiny difference between a PhD in History vs Sociology and that being accurate in ones credentials is a teeny tiny bit important.
He also claimed to have a degree in the New Testament. That was addressed in the original article.
----
I don't see you commenting on the atheist who had a problem with Aslan's article on atheism. Let's see, what was it the author said about Aslan again:
"Aslan didnít do his research.
And thatís just the first paragraph."
"This is an irresponsible piece written by a person who knows nothing about the subject heís writing about.
Refute him, ignore him, but donít take him seriously anymore."
OMTE

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Where wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation:
I'm sourpuss and my opinions are better than your opinions.
I think it could be translated like this
Tanslation:
I am a muslim, so, Shari'a forbids me to view your link of Robert Spencer, so, I will just assume he works for Fox.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is always right wingers that initiate all the wars you say.
You know better. What about facts. I know you hate them but here they are.
List of presidents, their political party, and their war.
Wilson, Dem., WW1
Roosevelt, Dem., WW2
Truman, Dem. Korea
Johnson, Dem. Vietnam
George H.W. Bush, Rep., Gulf War
George W. Bush, Rep., Iraq War
http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/ti...

He's already confused, truth will only confuse him more. He hasn't met a truth yet that he hasn't tried to change.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
And Fox News is relevant to that post How??

ROFL, post of the day.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, there is some livly discussion following the article, and naturally you've only posted those that support your position - cherry picking again?
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/getreligion/2013... #
While I don't think Aslan's book makes any new arguments about Jesus, I do think that your focus on Aslan not having a History PhD is perhaps missing the mark. For example, Baylor's Rodney Stark has no history degrees (only sociology), and yet has written extensively on Christian history. In his recent "The Triumph of Christianity" the back cover even describes him as "acclaimed social and religious historian," instead of "sociologist." Now, Stark is a much more accomplished scholar than Aslan (I have only been able to find one peer-reviewed article published by Aslan), but it's not unheard of for a sociologist to find that their interests and studies overlap with religious history, and to present themselves as experts.....(deleted for space)
Lisa Hajjar :
" This article does catch something that Reza said during the interview that was not really accurate: that he has a PhD in the history of religion....., so I can attest that his PhD is in Sociology. However, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he was being harangued by the interviewer and his academic credentials were on the line. He might have slipped about how he got that Sociology PhD: He made the move from Religious Studies to Sociology at the advice of his committee chair Mark Juergensmayer ... for...-somewhat technical reasons, although my memory of this is fuzzy. I think the dealio was that he had a job offer ... and needed to defend quickly, and there were obstacles to fast tracking him out of Religious Studies..... He revised the dissertation to make it more explicitly sociological..... it was, really, an academic and elaborated version of his book which was already out,.... If there is a lesson in all this, it is: don't do Fox News interviews!"
My interest was the article, I didn't even read the comments, so your typical "cherry picking" comment is as irrelevant here as it always is.

But I do find the two comments you posted of interest. In the first, by Paul Putz, he himself mentions how he could only find one peer reviewed article by Aslan. And I see you ignored his second post where Mr Putz, while not conceding that Aslan misrepresented his credential, would agree that it would be "a problem" if he did. Mr Putz then went on to relate how he could find no confirmation of what Aslan's degrees were in, every site he went to said something different - I find that strange, how about you?

The second post you used first acknowledges that Aslan was not accurate in describing his curriculum vitae and then tries to make excuses for Aslan by saying that he was being "harangued". Ummm, nope. He made the first misleading claim that "I am a scholar with a PhD in the History of Religions" in his initial response to Green. He then repeated the claim twice. One might misspeak once, but three times - nope.

And when talking about religions in general, he states he is a "PhD in the subject" .

I think most academics would agree there is a teeny tiny difference between a PhD in History vs Sociology and that being accurate in ones credentials is a teeny tiny bit important.

He also claimed to have a degree in the New Testament. That was addressed in the original article.

----
I don't see you commenting on the atheist who had a problem with Aslan's article on atheism. Let's see, what was it the author said about Aslan again:

"This is an irresponsible piece written by a person who knows nothing about the subject heís writing about.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
No surprise that you misrepresent both my post and the Fox interview. Green asked him WHY a Muslim would wish to write about Jesus, she did not say "Muslims are incapable of discussing any religion but their own" - that's all you, "dearie". And, as was stated in my post, it was a "softball" question that Ms Green should have let go of. Now on to your next post.

Slammed, nailed, and locked. Good job.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

^^^^^^^^^^Sorry, I double posted - again.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Inquiring mind wrote:
<quoted text>You really are an idiot aren't you?

And you are just now finding out?
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still wondering, like Ag, what Fox News even had to do with it?

Nothing at all.

Oh my always looks for a strawman and comes up with a pine needle.
OMTE

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
----
If the dude says he's muslim. That destroys any credibilty at all they have.(IMO) Only dummies and convicts believe in that horse shit.(IMO) I don't know how any woman at all would even pick up a quran.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

On the Evening News:
The Clintons, Bill and Hillary, ask Weiner to drop out of the race because of his sex escapades.

I would say Bill and Hillary have a lot to answer for themselves.

Bill, king of sleaze preaching to Weiner.

Gotta love those libroids sleazers who feel superior to their other libroid sleazers.

Sorta like the Gays saying I'm normal, it's those phedophiles who have mental problems.

Hey Oh my, IO, and Ugly Eve.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Synergy wrote:
Well, now Obama has praised Ho Chi Mihn. What a guy! I'm not surprised. Ho slaughtered hundreds of thousands of his own people. Why am I not surprised about Obama's response?.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/26/uh...
Of course he praised Ho Chi Mihn. Ho was a murdering Communist that may have murdered 500,000 people.
Now this whole episode tells us that Obama doesn't know a thing about America or Her history. He actually thinks that Jefferson and Ho are alike. I think we all could tell that Ho was just another spitting image of Thomas Jefferson.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Good news but not good enough.

"NC Gov. McCrory signs abortion clinics rules bill."

"RALEIGH, N.C.(AP)-- North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory on Monday signed into law a measure directing state officials to regulate abortion clinics based on the same standards as those for outpatient surgical centers, a change that critics say will force most to close."

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
He has NEVER hidden it from me nor anyone else with a brain.
What is amazing is that he never hid what his ambitions were. He told everyone that he wanted to transform this country into a country that was like a European country. He said he wanted to fundamentally change America. He said he wanted to redistribute the wealth.
What is so amazing is that he said all this, and the stupid people of this country didn't even hear it. All they could hear was that everything was d*mn Bush's fault, and the stupid word, CHANGE.
That is called liberal selective hearing.
Where

Alto, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course he praised Ho Chi Mihn. Ho was a murdering Communist that may have murdered 500,000 people.
Now this whole episode tells us that Obama doesn't know a thing about America or Her history. He actually thinks that Jefferson and Ho are alike. I think we all could tell that Ho was just another spitting image of Thomas Jefferson.

Obama is nothing more than a goofy Alfred E Neuman, pic to prove it.

http://www.google.com/imgres...

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Where wrote:
<quoted text>
He's already confused, truth will only confuse him more. He hasn't met a truth yet that he hasn't tried to change.
What do you mean tried?? IO is the greatest history revisionist in the world.
OMTE

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ho Chi Mihn is loved by his people, because he had the will to stand up to the French. The French treated these people like dogs. Ho Chi Mihn meant to rid Vietnam of the French BAMN. Even at the peril of his own people. We had no business over there backin the French in their exploitation of the Vietnam people. Ho Chi Mihn was different than the communists or Islamic terrorists of today. He was a great warrior, but a horrible politian. He allowed the communist to take over, I guess he thought anything was better than being a french slave. The Vietnam war should have been all the proof we needed to never again enter a war that didn't concern us. Just like Iraq and just like what's going on in the middle east now. The USA is not terrorists, we should not involve ourselves with terrorists for no amount of money or political interest. Obama should not talk about things, he obviously knows nothing about.(IMO)

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Where wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama is nothing more than a goofy Alfred E Neuman, pic to prove it.
http://www.google.com/imgres...
I couldn't download the picture. Server unavailable.

Douglasville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>Ho Chi Mihn is loved by his people, because he had the will to stand up to the French. The French treated these people like dogs. Ho Chi Mihn meant to rid Vietnam of the French BAMN. Even at the peril of his own people. We had no business over there backin the French in their exploitation of the Vietnam people. Ho Chi Mihn was different than the communists or Islamic terrorists of today. He was a great warrior, but a horrible politian. He allowed the communist to take over, I guess he thought anything was better than being a french slave. The Vietnam war should have been all the proof we needed to never again enter a war that didn't concern us. Just like Iraq and just like what's going on in the middle east now. The USA is not terrorists, we should not involve ourselves with terrorists for no amount of money or political interest. Obama should not talk about things, he obviously knows nothing about.(IMO)
I see him as nothing but a murdering communist. He was just another Fidel Castro, fighting for the freedom of his people so he could later murder them and try to take over and control a free S. Vietnam.
He didn't just allow the communist to take over, he was a communist from way back.
A communist is a communist and he or she may wear clothes of peace and harmony but they all are the same. They are communist and want communism to dominate everything.

http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/ho-...
OMTE

Moultrie, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2013

Judged:

Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see him as nothing but a murdering communist. He was just another Fidel Castro, fighting for the freedom of his people so he could later murder them and try to take over and control a free S. Vietnam.
He didn't just allow the communist to take over, he was a communist from way back.
A communist is a communist and he or she may wear clothes of peace and harmony but they all are the same. They are communist and want communism to dominate everything.
http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/ho-...
I don't think he was a communist at heart. I just think they were the only ones that would help him overthrow the French. We backed the French, because companies like Michelin tire had interest in the textile industry in Vietnam. That produced them millions of dollars a year, all produced by slave labor in Vietnam. Overseen by the French. I don't agree with Ho Chi Mihn's tactics, but I would rather die than be a slave, and I think that's why his people, were so ready to die for him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brunswick Discussions

Search the Brunswick Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Kim Devore Tue Rumor 3
Review: The Georgia Crab Co Mon faisha 1
Handicap Parking Patrol in Glynn County (Aug '07) Jul 21 Nonliberal 20
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 16 what 2,045
Blueberry growers go to 'pick-it-yourself' model Jul 11 LocavoreT 3
Dukes of Iron MC Jul 9 Itty Bitty Dick Committee 3
Juneteenth festival celebrates freedom Jun '14 Shining Electron 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Brunswick Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••