Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#32628 Dec 4, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
The recording from the McResource line is probably that of Nancy Salgado. The conversation was heavily edited. The woman is 26 and has been working at McD's for 10 years and is still earning minimum wage. Assuming this information (as reported on many sites) is accurate and is not a lie, the question is not what McD's is doing. The question is how a woman can work at minimum wage for 10 years and not advance. That is a legitimate question.
In regard to Wal-Mart, the explanation is part of your own cut and paste - WM, "the biggest consumer of taxpayer supported aid" is also the "nation's largest private sector employer". However, apples shouldn't be compared to oranges. Wal-Mart needs to be compared to other retailers. Their turnover rate is approximately 44%, almost the industry average. When you have that much turn over, most of those new hires will start at minimum wage and then either move up the pay scale or move on to another job. And Grayson's claim is supported by two studies that are over 8 years old. I am not denying Wal Mart may have employees on public assistance, but Wal Mart's goal is low prices for consumers - 100,000,000 shop at a Wal Mart every week and 42% of those consumers make less than 40,000 a year.
Maybe the women is doing the best she can with what she has. Course the fact remains that enough of McDaonald's employees need assistance so that McDonald's felt the need to setup the helpline.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/15/news/economy/...
According to a University of California Berkeley Labor Center and University of Illinois study out Tuesday, 52% of families of fast food workers receive assistance from a public program like Medicaid, food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. That's compared to 25% of families in the workforce as a whole.

The report estimated that this public aid carries a $7 billion price tag for taxpayers each year.
The numbers are based on publicly available data on public assistance programs from 2007-2011.
"Because pay is low and weekly work hours are limited, the families of more than half of the workers in the fast-food industry are unable to make ends meet," the report said.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/23/news/companie...
...However, CNNMoney reviewed the full recording of the call.

...But she said that Salgado "definitely should be able to qualify for both food stamps and heating assistance."

...The operator also explained that the McResource line is available to help McDonald's workers who need help navigating the process of getting public assistance. The helpline's phone number is posted in fliers at many McDonald's locations.

http://www.demos.org/sites/default/files/publ...
...We find that if Walmart redirected the $7.6 billion it spends annually on repurchases of its own company stock, these funds could be used to give Walmart’s low-paid workers a raise of $5.83 an hour, more than enough to ensure that all Walmart workers are paid a wage equivalent to at least $25,000 a year for full-time work.5 Curtailing share buybacks would not harm the company’s retail competitiveness or raise prices for consumers. In fact, some retail analysts have argued that by providing a substantial investment in the company’s front-line workforce, higher pay could be expected to improve employee productivity and morale while reducing Walmart’s expenses related to employee turnover.6 With more money in their wallets, Walmart employees would likely spend a portion of the cash at Walmart itself, boosting the company’s sales. Sales might also increase as customers benefit from an improved shopping environment.7
just sayin

Warner Robins, GA

#32629 Dec 4, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the women is doing the best she can with what she has. Course the fact remains that enough of McDaonald's employees need assistance so that McDonald's felt the need to setup the helpline.
According to a University of California Berkeley Labor Center and University of Illinois study out Tuesday, 52% of families of fast food workers receive assistance from a public program like Medicaid, food stamps, the Earned Income Tax Credit and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. That's compared to 25% of families in the workforce as a whole.
The report estimated that this public aid carries a $7 billion price tag for taxpayers each year.
The numbers are based on publicly available data on public assistance programs from 2007-2011.
"Because pay is low and weekly work hours are limited, the families of more than half of the workers in the fast-food industry are unable to make ends meet," the report said.
...But she said that Salgado "definitely should be able to qualify for both food stamps and heating assistance."
...The operator also explained that the McResource line is available to help McDonald's workers who need help navigating the process of getting public assistance. The helpline's phone number is posted in fliers at many McDonald's locations.
...We find that if Walmart redirected the $7.6 billion it spends annually on repurchases of its own company stock, these funds could be used to give Walmart’s low-paid workers a raise of $5.83 an hour, more than enough to ensure that all Walmart workers are paid a wage equivalent to at least $25,000 a year for full-time work.5 Curtailing share buybacks would not harm the company’s retail competitiveness or raise prices for consumers. In fact, some retail analysts have argued that by providing a substantial investment in the company’s front-line workforce, higher pay could be expected to improve employee productivity and morale while reducing Walmart’s expenses related to employee turnover.6 With more money in their wallets, Walmart employees would likely spend a portion of the cash at Walmart itself, boosting the company’s sales. Sales might also increase as customers benefit from an improved shopping environment.7
Really, quoting left wingers from a non-profit "think-tank" so called is like asking your mechanic for medical advice. Course what else should one expect from a "navigator"? You know those that are employed by places like Mountain Project who get government grants to supposedly help people when the real job is to indoctrinate and provide duplicitous arguments online and on air.

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#32630 Dec 4, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Your solution is?
just sayin

Warner Robins, GA

#32631 Dec 4, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>"NAFA by Clinton"- you may want to check on that...Clinton may have been in office when it was signed but there were at least two former republican presidents that advocated for its' passage, FYI.
So was Clinton right? Clinton, while signing the NAFTA bill, stated that "NAFTA means jobs. American jobs, and good-paying American jobs. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't support this agreement."
jeb stuart

Cordele, GA

#32632 Dec 4, 2013
Skippy Peanut Butter wrote:
<quoted text>
One can only hope that your kind never, ever procreates.
I don't know, maybe they could use them stem cells for animal research or something.
jeb stuart

Cordele, GA

#32633 Dec 4, 2013
just sayin wrote:
<quoted text>So was Clinton right? Clinton, while signing the NAFTA bill, stated that "NAFTA means jobs. American jobs, and good-paying American jobs. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't support this agreement."
Personally, I don't think it was such a good idea. You look at companies like Hersey candies and they have all but shut down their American plants and moved to Mexico. But my point was that it had widespread bipartisan support- with former presidents, Ford, Bush(1), and Carter all lobbing congress for its' passage..
Skippy Peanut Butter

Blairsville, GA

#32634 Dec 4, 2013
jeb stuart wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know, maybe they could use them stem cells for animal research or something.
Maybe for AIDS research. Bill's DNA would probably kill anything.
silver foxx

Ocilla, GA

#32635 Dec 4, 2013
MSNBC sinking fast. Good riddance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25183...
there

Canton, GA

#32636 Dec 4, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do I spot a Toby Keith fan, by any chance?

yeah, I like his songs.......

there

Canton, GA

#32637 Dec 4, 2013

@ Bill

"In other words, people are all for it, until it impacts them. Then, they're against it. Too bad they don't see the big picture."

sorta like the uninformed was in favor of obamacare, and are now opposed after getting informed........even some of the them sorry libroid senators and congresspeople.....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#32639 Dec 4, 2013
there wrote:
@ Bill
"In other words, people are all for it, until it impacts them. Then, they're against it. Too bad they don't see the big picture."
sorta like the uninformed was in favor of obamacare, and are now opposed after getting informed........even some of the them sorry libroid senators and congresspeople.....
+1 Yep.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32640 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Nope. I understand the concept, it's just rather flawed. Whether a person who has $1 million laying around gets 10% return, 5% return or even 2% return they're still going to invest it. No one with that kind of money will put it in a Mason jar and plant it in the yard for safe keeping. There's no need to reward investors with lower capital gains tax rates.
And you are presuming there will be a positive return on that investment. Such is not always the case, sometimes investors lose some and sometimes they even lose all. Therein comes the risk and the reason for a lower tax rate to compensate for that risk.
Skippy Peanut Butter

Blairsville, GA

#32641 Dec 4, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are presuming there will be a positive return on that investment. Such is not always the case, sometimes investors lose some and sometimes they even lose all. Therein comes the risk and the reason for a lower tax rate to compensate for that risk.
That shouldn't even be a consideration. Life is risky. If there are gains, it's still income no matter how you slice it. If an investor doesn't want to take the risk, they don't have to. No one is forcing them. There's no real good reason that taxes on capital gains should be less than those on income taxes, at least in my opinion, take it or leave it.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32642 Dec 4, 2013
<quoted text>
That shouldn't even be a consideration. Life is risky. If there are gains, it's still income no matter how you slice it. If an investor doesn't want to take the risk, they don't have to. No one is forcing them. There's no real good reason that taxes on capital gains should be less than those on income taxes, at least in my opinion, take it or leave it.
I'll definitely leave it as it displays no understanding of incentivizing risk or of the benefits to the economy that result from those who are willing to shoulder that risk.
Skippy Peanut Butter

Blairsville, GA

#32643 Dec 4, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll definitely leave it as it displays no understanding of incentivizing risk or of the benefits to the economy that result from those who are willing to shoulder that risk.
Like I said before, there is no reason whatsoever to give investors an incentive in order for them to invest. That's nonsense. The potential for return on their investment is enough incentive.

People with surplus cash will not plant it in the yard in a Mason jar, they will invest no matter what the return. We don't need to reward people for making money, nor do we need to subsidize them when they lose money.

Put all this into perspective, it's like saying we should give $1,000 to everyone who goes out and gets a job - similar principle or rewards.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#32644 Dec 4, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
+1

A fine example of the clueless and uneducated, isn't it? It's only those evil rich people that are taking advantage of long term capital gains rates...

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#32645 Dec 4, 2013
ster402005 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I misinterpret nothing. You all, however, have no clue. Do me a favor and throw up the little hateful cartoon icons again. It's rather becoming of the narrow minded.
You are so self important, you must be Obama's twin separated at birth.*smh & l *

Location hidden

#32646 Dec 4, 2013
there wrote:
Chris Matthews and his LEG THRILLS to interview Obama...
"On Thursday, MSNBC host Chris Matthews, who infamously claimed that President Obama gave him a “thrill” up his leg, will be interviewing Obama at American University in Washington, D.C. Obama will also answer questions from the student audience, as well as some questions submitted online."
“Softball” with Chris Matthews..........
the man never throws a hardball.......he just another leftist lobber.......
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/...
Obama knows Chris Matthews is "safe".'Ole Chris will fall on the sword for President Inept.

Location hidden

#32647 Dec 4, 2013
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
Said Matthews, "I just cannot begin to say how thrilled my leg is to have this opportunity to interview the most brilliant man ever to inhabit the White House." He added, "I just hope I can conduct this interview with President Obama without slobbering too much, even though, he has all the questions in advance."
The questions will be chosen and approved in advance.
The audience will most likely ALL be Obama supporters and their questions will be screened in advance.
Chris Matthews was specifically chosen because he licks Obama's boots.

Yeeeah, that's a nonpartisan event. Gonna get some REAL answers from THAT interview. A complete waste of time. ROTFL

Location hidden

#32648 Dec 4, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiotspeak is all you know. If nobody talks about the fact that American corporations are at fault with the decline of the middle class it just gets worse. Most Americans don't talk about this problem because they don't understand it. A lot of people today try to buy American when they can and that's a start. It needs to be talked about more, even more than the hated ObamaCare, its a MUCH bigger problem for the future of the middle class. But it won't get any ratings on conservative talk, so they don't talk about it.
You really think that a billionaire pays the same amount as you at McDonalds AS A PERCENTAGE OF INCOME AFTER DEDUCTIONS, you are just as stupid as you are an arrogant ass. Its not about apples and oranges, its about the percentage of a persons income they keep after taxes, and its much heavier on the middle class than the 1%.
Investing in a corporation that sends our jobs somewhere else in the long run is stupid, just look at our current condition caused by that very concept. Corporations are not evil, top executives that will do anything to get those amazingly huge bonus each year that the hand picked overpaid board of directors gives them are evil. The ones that put profits above employees and the people who made that corporation what it is today, should be locked up, that's just my opinion. But corporate theft is not illegal and neither is putting an American Corporation before its employees, but that doesn't make it right. And they ARE the reason our counties middle class has become the working poor. Doesn't happen in Asia counties, they are prospering while we decline totally because of corporate greed completely out of control and people like you who don't have the grey matter to understand.
1% of this nations population has taken control of 75% of this nations wealth!! While they pay approx. 22.3% of income tax paid, the upper middle class pays approx. 20% of the tax burden and the hated poor pay 3/10 of 1 %. Anyone with even a hit of common sense attached to a working brain can see that the rich 1% are getting a hell of a deal, the middle class is carrying the largest burden when you consider what they ALL pay as a PERCENTAGE of the INCOME after all the bought and paid for deductions thanks to their friends in Congress that just don't apply to the middle class. The poor have nothing so they pay nothing, like you.
If you are truly worried about the middle class, then you had better keep talking about the hated Obamacare because it's going to decimate the middle class. If you were really informed, you would know that. You describing Bill as: 1. lacking in grey matter, 2. unable to understand AND 3. not paying his share of income tax actually shows YOUR lack of intelligence. He is simply explaining to you how corporations proceed. You don't agree with him, so you post ridiculous unsubstantiated trash to make YOURSELF feel better. Those of us who know Bill personally are laughing at your innate stupidity. Seriously, Dahlonega, you are waaaaaaay out of your league with Bill in D'ville. You have the brainwashed mindset that the conservatives are the only greed driven, big corporation supporters. You need to take a look at the liberals in this administration. They are greed driven and big corporation supporters, too. They TELL you gullible libroids that they are the good guys and you lap it up like babies downing Pablum. All the while, they are making you look like fools because you KEEP believing their lies. They know you will, so they keep feeding them to you. Please drink some fertilizer and grow a brain. We'll ALL appreciate it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Speed Trap along the I-95 corridor in Mcintosh ... (Nov '15) Oct 6 Joe 56
where in Darien can i use draw net to catch shr... Sep '17 Dvht 3
Jekyll Public Oyster Beds Aug '17 Brief 1
Jennifer aka Snow (Jun '14) Aug '17 Ja nuttz 4
Job Corps info. (Aug '11) Aug '17 Jenforbus 6
Looking Aug '17 Truth 10
are great white sharks in altamahal river ? Aug '17 FLNDN 6

Brunswick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance