Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
OMTE

Ashburn, GA

#32375 Nov 29, 2013
Oh my wrote:
Just more envy of the Right's ability to get their message out...
A Progressive Pope is Driving the Wingnuts Batty
by Vyan
THU NOV 28, 2013 AT 02:26 PM PST
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/28/1258...
As Pope Francis comes more and more out of the Progressive Closet he begins to gain more and more pushback from the Rightwing who have long claimed that their Unrepentant Greed was Godly.
Unfortunately it isn't, and the Pope has been most clear on this.
“As long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems,” the pope said in the 224-page document that essentially serves as his official platform.
...The Pope's comments apparently got deeply under the skin of Fox Business Host Stuart Varney.
“Capitalism, in my opinion, is a liberator,” he said.“The free choice of millions of people is the essence of freedom. In my opinion, society benefits most when people are free to pursue their own self-interest. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it is not. When individuals are free, we collectively are better off in every way, financially and spiritually.”
It doesn't seem to matter to Varney that the Pope didn't criticize "People's Freedom or Self-Interest" - he criticize The Markets. He criticized the manipulation of those markets using financial speculation. It's not an accident that Varney gets this wrong, because he's a knave. A lapdog of the Markets. His job is to make sure that his True Religion - Unfeterred Greed - is never questioned, never criticized and if it is that persons veracity and character has to be Destroyed.
It just becomes a little difficult when that person - Is the Holy Pontiff.
See how he tries to rewrite and redefine the Pope's word for him.
“I go to church to save my soul,” Varney said.“It’s got nothing to do with my vote. Pope Francis has linked the two. He has offered direct criticism of a specific political system. He has characterized negatively that system. I think he wants to influence my politics.”
A political system? He criticized a Political System? No actually, he didn't. He criticized a Financial System, by putting that system into a Moral Context. A context in which it is sorely, severely lacking. Politics is about how people make choices in who their Political Leaders will be. In this case Varney is confusing Politics with Finances, and not hardly an accident.
For years we've been hearing from the Right-wing how the U.S. is a "Christian Nation". How we should and must let our Christian Value guide how we vote, and how we govern. That such considerations are what drives the anti-Choice movement, and the Prayer-In-Schools movement and the Creationist/Anti-Science movement - yet when the Head of the Largest Christian Organization in the World says that our financial systems should have a moral component.
Heads Start to Explode.
I guess even the Pope has limits to his progressiveness.... Even he knows abortion is wrong....
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/...
Either that or he just doesn't like Nancy Pelosi... Huh?:)

Judged:

12

12

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#32376 Nov 29, 2013
THU NOV 28, 2013 AT 05:02 AM PST
How ACA can save lives: let’s visit my Emergency Room on Thanksgiving morning
by ERdoc in PA
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/28/1258...

One of the more hackneyed and deceptive statements throughout the Affordable Care Act debate was how we have “the best healthcare delivery system in the world”. I’ve been an ER doc for about a decade, and I know from first-hand experience that it just ain't so.

But what really stuck in the collective craw of emergency physicians was the glib response to the lack of insurance coverage for millions. More than one politician suggested that people could always go to the Emergency Room. Uh huh. News flash: Emergency Rooms are for, you know, emergencies. When folks visit the ER for conditions not deemed to be life threatening, well-intended providers often don’t fix the problems, or even dig deep to figure them out – there just isn’t time or resources to do it. And poorly-treated, less dangerous conditions can sometimes blossom into full-blown disasters. Without insurance, and therefore without access to non-emergency providers, these situations become very expensive, and… they can kill. The ACA, bringing many patients under the umbrella of coverage, will avert the severe outcome for many....
done with shopping

Alpharetta, GA

#32377 Nov 29, 2013
I see the obamatards are out in full force again. Should make for an enjoyable reading and laughing afternoon.
Scott

Nicholasville, KY

#32378 Nov 29, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it should be easy for you to offer a scathing rebuttal to these flawed cut and paste offerings. Yet no scathing rebuttal can be found anywhere in your posts.
That's because I just can't seem to get the hang of scathing. The few times I have tried to scathe, I admit I have failed. I guess I am just not a scathing rebuttal kind of guy.

B.T.W., this morning after performing some housekeeping on my computer, I noticed your cut and paste about the ER doctor in the bottom of the Internet Dumpster. It was under an article on how to make your own Twinkies and another about a taxidermist in Iowa who specializes in mounting common house mice in various poses.

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Draketown, GA

#32379 Nov 29, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Will not waste anymore time with you, your motives are as obvious as your source of information, why not just own what you are. You can't hide it no matter how hard you try.
They only comment I will make in parting is that I feel really sad for a person who puts such a low value on children, especially dead children. Thinking that an AK 47 is a weapon of defense shows just how ignorant you really are. And the comment asking what is next to be banned if and AK47 is banded, I ask you want is next that's OK for a citizen to have, a nuclear warhead or a ICBM?
I can see the arguments for that coming, just think how many children some nut can kill when he gets one of those at the local gun show. Wake up, Grow up and take some responsibility for your actions. Your lack of action when it comes to responsible gun laws is ALSO responsible for the death of those children. NOBODY wants to take guns from Americans, you can still kill people with responsible gun laws, just not in mass. Would you care to tell the people on Topix why you insist on guns with one purpose, to kill lots of people real fast.
I for one don't care what you say, hell, nothing you say makes any real sense. You really need to look at other sources for your information, if you really cared you would, so you don't~
And don't say I am the same, I watch and listen to ALL the people that you do. Adding other points of few and real news to your list and maybe over time you will wake up and find out that no issue is all black or white.
Would you care to tell the people on Topix why you insist on punishing the law abiding citizens, and not the criminals?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32380 Nov 29, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Uhmmm, "a drive led by religious conservatives", you are soooo transparent, I wonder if those in the South viewed them as "religious conservatives", or those in the North who believed in the superiority of one race over another.
Then just more blah, blah, blah, welfare state, blah, blah, blah, liberal agenda blah, blah, blah.
Truth usually is transparent.

As for the rest, speaking of blah, blah, blah.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32381 Nov 29, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that be businesses that are really just intangible corporate entities, established to protect their founders from legal liability?
Now that an intangible corporate entity has a political voice paritially protected under the First Amendment, should the remainder of First Amendment protections be extended also?
If the religious beliefs of an intangible corporate entity are recognized, and these religious beliefs are allowed to impact the package of benefits offered an employee, what of the religious beliefs that are contrary to your own?
Should Christian Science corporate entities offer no health coverage?
Should Jehovah's Witnesses corporate entities not cover blood transfusions?
If personal beliefs are allowed to flow from the Corporate Officer to the intangible corporate entity, does liability flow back to the Corporate Officers?
How should this impact their Federal Protections, can a corporate entity only hire individuals of a particular religion (the one true path), one particular race (the one true race, no mixed race households), or just one sex (women should not work outside the home)?
“MY FAMILY AND I ARE ENCOURAGED THAT THE U.S. SUPREME COURT HAS AGREED TO DECIDE OUR CASE. THIS LEGAL CHALLENGE HAS ALWAYS REMAINED ABOUT ONE THING AND ONE THING ONLY: THE RIGHT OF OUR FAMILY BUSINESSES TO LIVE OUT OUR SINCERE AND DEEPLY HELD RELIGIOUS CONVICTIONS AS GUARANTEED BY THE LAW AND THE CONSTITUTION. BUSINESS OWNERS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN VIOLATING THEIR FAITH AND VIOLATING THE LAW.”
— DAVID GREEN, HOBBY LOBBY’S FOUNDER AND CEO

As for the rest of your post, I will simply refer back to post #32254 which you may look back to or ignore as you see fit.
Pray

Doerun, GA

#32382 Nov 29, 2013
My teenager said, "conservatives are greedy and liberals are stupid!!! That's true. We need to pray people. Pope Benedict said, " people care more about the stock market dropping or going up more than they care about an elderly person or an elderly family member". That's true! We must pray for the greedy conservatives in this world. Pray hard, it's so so sad!!!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32383 Nov 29, 2013
Oh my wrote:
Just more envy of the Right's ability to get their message out...
A Progressive Pope is Driving the Wingnuts Batty
by Vyan
THU NOV 28, 2013 AT 02:26 PM PST
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/11/28/1258...
As Pope Francis comes more and more out of the Progressive Closet he begins to gain more and more pushback from the Rightwing who have long claimed that their Unrepentant Greed was Godly.
Unfortunately it isn't, and the Pope has been most clear on this.
“As long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems,” the pope said in the 224-page document that essentially serves as his official platform.
...The Pope's comments apparently got deeply under the skin of Fox Business Host Stuart Varney.
“Capitalism, in my opinion, is a liberator,” he said.“The free choice of millions of people is the essence of freedom. In my opinion, society benefits most when people are free to pursue their own self-interest. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it is not. When individuals are free, we collectively are better off in every way, financially and spiritually.”
It doesn't seem to matter to Varney that the Pope didn't criticize "People's Freedom or Self-Interest" - he criticize The Markets. He criticized the manipulation of those markets using financial speculation. It's not an accident that Varney gets this wrong, because he's a knave. A lapdog of the Markets. His job is to make sure that his True Religion - Unfeterred Greed - is never questioned, never criticized and if it is that persons veracity and character has to be Destroyed.
It just becomes a little difficult when that person - Is the Holy Pontiff.
See how he tries to rewrite and redefine the Pope's word for him.
“I go to church to save my soul,” Varney said.“It’s got nothing to do with my vote. Pope Francis has linked the two. He has offered direct criticism of a specific political system. He has characterized negatively that system. I think he wants to influence my politics.”
A political system? He criticized a Political System? No actually, he didn't. He criticized a Financial System, by putting that system into a Moral Context. A context in which it is sorely, severely lacking. Politics is about how people make choices in who their Political Leaders will be. In this case Varney is confusing Politics with Finances, and not hardly an accident.
For years we've been hearing from the Right-wing how the U.S. is a "Christian Nation". How we should and must let our Christian Value guide how we vote, and how we govern. That such considerations are what drives the anti-Choice movement, and the Prayer-In-Schools movement and the Creationist/Anti-Science movement - yet when the Head of the Largest Christian Organization in the World says that our financial systems should have a moral component.
Heads Start to Explode.
Let's see, who would an objective bystander reasonably conclude had the greater credibility in discussing the concept of "capitalism" and commenting on the current Pope's regrettable (apparent) leanings towards liberation theology.

Stuart Varney -a graduate of the London School of Economics who served as the host of CNBC's "Wall Street Journal Editorial Board with Stuart Varney", co-anchor of CNN's "Moneyline News Hour", helped launch CNN's business news team in 1980 and hosted many of their financial programs including, "Your Money," "Business Day" and "Business Asia." His reporting and analysis of the stock market crash of 1987 helped earn CNN a Peabody Award for excellence in journalism. And who now hosts Fox Business News' "Varney and Co."

Or "Vyan" - a MUSICIAN who blogs on Daily Kos and lists as one of his groups Occupy Wall Street.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32384 Nov 29, 2013
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because I just can't seem to get the hang of scathing. The few times I have tried to scathe, I admit I have failed. I guess I am just not a scathing rebuttal kind of guy.
B.T.W., this morning after performing some housekeeping on my computer, I noticed your cut and paste about the ER doctor in the bottom of the Internet Dumpster. It was under an article on how to make your own Twinkies and another about a taxidermist in Iowa who specializes in mounting common house mice in various poses.
I do so enjoy your posts.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32385 Nov 29, 2013
OMTE wrote:
<quoted text>I guess even the Pope has limits to his progressiveness.... Even he knows abortion is wrong....
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/...
Either that or he just doesn't like Nancy Pelosi... Huh?:)
Thank you for sharing this and I would like to take the liberty to post some excerpts.

"Just a week ago, on Vatican Radio, he spoke against “adolescent progressivism,” and said believers should keep fast to faith and avoid the pull of the world.
“Today also brings us this desire to be progressive, following a single thought,” he said, days ago on radio.
But when it comes to abortion — progressive thoughts are the enemy, he made clear, in his exhortation."

'He wrote:“This defense of unborn life is closely linked to the defense of each and every other human right. It involves the conviction that a human being is always sacred and inviolable, in any situation and at every stage of development. Human beings are ends in themselves and never a means of resolving other problems. Once this conviction disappears, so do solid and lasting foundations for the defense of human rights, which would always be subject to the passing whims of the powers that be.”'

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32386 Nov 29, 2013
Pray wrote:
My teenager said, "conservatives are greedy and liberals are stupid!!! That's true. We need to pray people. Pope Benedict said, " people care more about the stock market dropping or going up more than they care about an elderly person or an elderly family member". That's true! We must pray for the greedy conservatives in this world. Pray hard, it's so so sad!!!
Your teenager is an interesting mix. When it comes to the opinion on conservatives, he or she is a textbook example illustrating Churchill's quote regarding liberals at 20 and conservatives at 40. However, when it comes to describing liberals - what a brilliant child.

And when it comes to greed vs charitable giving, I will simply refer you to the many studies that show conservatives/Republicans/red states beat liberals/Democrats/blue states in charitable giving hands down. Liberals are very good at handing out other people's money in order to claim the mantle of being caring and compassionate, but somehow their own pockets are left untouched - go look up charitable deductions for Clinton, Gore, Biden and Obama prior to their White House years. Conservatives reach into their own pockets.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32387 Nov 29, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Will not waste anymore time with you, your motives are as obvious as your source of information, why not just own what you are. You can't hide it no matter how hard you try.
They only comment I will make in parting is that I feel really sad for a person who puts such a low value on children, especially dead children. Thinking that an AK 47 is a weapon of defense shows just how ignorant you really are. And the comment asking what is next to be banned if and AK47 is banded, I ask you want is next that's OK for a citizen to have, a nuclear warhead or a ICBM?
I can see the arguments for that coming, just think how many children some nut can kill when he gets one of those at the local gun show. Wake up, Grow up and take some responsibility for your actions. Your lack of action when it comes to responsible gun laws is ALSO responsible for the death of those children. NOBODY wants to take guns from Americans, you can still kill people with responsible gun laws, just not in mass. Would you care to tell the people on Topix why you insist on guns with one purpose, to kill lots of people real fast.
I for one don't care what you say, hell, nothing you say makes any real sense. You really need to look at other sources for your information, if you really cared you would, so you don't~
And don't say I am the same, I watch and listen to ALL the people that you do. Adding other points of few and real news to your list and maybe over time you will wake up and find out that no issue is all black or white.
Looks like my original response to you got lost in the ether. To repeat, your argument is shallow at best when you try to equate defending the 2nd Amendment with not caring about the tragic deaths of children. And you double down on exposing your weakness (as well as your foolishness) by bringing nukes into the mix. You are sounding more and more hysterical with each post, it would probably be best for you to take a break from Topix if this is the level to which you have been reduced.
damn it all

Cordele, GA

#32388 Nov 29, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing this and I would like to take the liberty to post some excerpts.
"Just a week ago, on Vatican Radio, he spoke against “adolescent progressivism,” and said believers should keep fast to faith and avoid the pull of the world.
“Today also brings us this desire to be progressive, following a single thought,” he said, days ago on radio.
But when it comes to abortion — progressive thoughts are the enemy, he made clear, in his exhortation."
'He wrote:“This defense of unborn life is closely linked to the defense of each and every other human right. It involves the conviction that a human being is always sacred and inviolable, in any situation and at every stage of development. Human beings are ends in themselves and never a means of resolving other problems. Once this conviction disappears, so do solid and lasting foundations for the defense of human rights, which would always be subject to the passing whims of the powers that be.”'
....interesting post, considering that you are applauding a guy that believes Catholics are evil and the Pope is the antichrist- but then, who said an ideologue ever had to be consistent, huh.
the real poor

Ford City, PA

#32390 Nov 30, 2013
Last month from Vatican radio.....
I know a few Catholics & Protestants who think church & a nightly prayer will save them. How evil can money lovers & those saturated in materialism be???? Evidently, there are NO limits.

http://en.radiovaticana.va/m_articolo.asp...
then

Jefferson, GA

#32391 Nov 30, 2013
damn it all wrote:
<quoted text>....interesting post, considering that you are applauding a guy that believes Catholics are evil and the Pope is the antichrist- but then, who said an ideologue ever had to be consistent, huh.

Ole dum-de-dum still playing with his drums of agitation......

the truth

Dawsonville, GA

#32392 Nov 30, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you care to tell the people on Topix why you insist on punishing the law abiding citizens, and not the criminals?
Punishing!?!?! Tell me and the people of Topix why you think you need weapons of mass destruction such as an SK 47 and extra large clips. I am more than willing to listen to reason, if you can show me why you or anyone else needs one I will listen and reconsider.
just sayin

Monroe, NC

#32393 Nov 30, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your teenager is an interesting mix. When it comes to the opinion on conservatives, he or she is a textbook example illustrating Churchill's quote regarding liberals at 20 and conservatives at 40. However, when it comes to describing liberals - what a brilliant child.
And when it comes to greed vs charitable giving, I will simply refer you to the many studies that show conservatives/Republicans/red states beat liberals/Democrats/blue states in charitable giving hands down. Liberals are very good at handing out other people's money in order to claim the mantle of being caring and compassionate, but somehow their own pockets are left untouched - go look up charitable deductions for Clinton, Gore, Biden and Obama prior to their White House years. Conservatives reach into their own pockets.
A very inconvenient truth.

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Draketown, GA

#32394 Nov 30, 2013
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Punishing!?!?! Tell me and the people of Topix why you think you need weapons of mass destruction such as an SK 47 and extra large clips. I am more than willing to listen to reason, if you can show me why you or anyone else needs one I will listen and reconsider.
Stop getting hysterical, WMD's? Give that "argument" a rest. Until you can solve the problem with the rapidly growing criminal element that exists today, I'll keep my guns, whatever kind they may be.
just sayin

Monroe, NC

#32395 Nov 30, 2013
Oh my wrote:
I guess the Pope just doesn't understand how shiftless and lazy folks really are.
A pope’s pointed message
By Eugene Robinson
2013-11-28
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene...
“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories, which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naive trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting.”
That passage is not from some Occupy Wall Street manifesto. It was written by Pope Francis in a stunning new treatise on the Catholic Church’s role in society — and it is a powerful reminder that, however tiresome the political trench warfare in Washington may be, we have a duty to fight on.
...“To sustain a lifestyle which excludes others, or to sustain enthusiasm for that selfish ideal, a globalization of indifference has developed,” Francis wrote.“Almost without being aware of it, we end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people’s pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else’s responsibility and not our own. The culture of prosperity deadens us; we are thrilled if the market offers us something new to purchase; and in the meantime all those lives stunted for lack of opportunity seem a mere spectacle; they fail to move us.”
Francis explicitly calls for “financial reform,” though he wisely does not lay out a policy agenda. But in a passage likely to make libertarians want to hide amid the dense thickets of Ayn Rand’s prose, where no light can penetrate, Francis wrote that “the private ownership of goods is justified by the need to protect and increase them, so that they can better serve the common good; for this reason, solidarity must be lived as the decision to restore to the poor what belongs to them.”
I really enjoy it when the progressives start quoting the pope. They always pick and choose which of his statements, writings and stances are worthy, while ignoring those they feel are not worthy. I happen to agree with his teaching on serving two masters- God or manna. I also agree with his teaching on the sanctity of human life and his stance on marriage and the ordination of women.
Sly as a serpent and innocent as a lamb he is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nasty woman. you've been warned. Tue Danny Noonan 5
Speed Trap along the I-95 corridor in Mcintosh ... (Nov '15) Mar 8 Ben 30
What McIntosh/Darien does not want you to know (May '13) Feb 28 Barbara78 33
Poll Is Brunswick a racist town Feb 28 dverdan363 1
Part 12 Guy Heinze Jr. (May '10) Feb '17 Blue 1,221
i-95 accident (Mar '09) Feb '17 GodsPrincess2939 6
immigration issues Jan '17 Heywood 1

Brunswick Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brunswick Mortgages