stelio kontos

Columbus, GA

#27208 Oct 14, 2013
whom wrote:
<quoted text>
Well now, if you are indeed a federal worker, and your ignorance proves it, shows why you are not aware that you will be paid while you are not working. A novel idea, giving you a free paid vacation while private employees can only depend on unemployment benefits, and then after a long waiting period.
But you are special, you are a federal gubmint worker. You get what no one else gets when not working....
go fishing, go boating, get in some traveling, have some fun while
the spouse has to work in a private business.
But wait, maybe the spouse also works for the federal gubmint. IN that case you both get paid while loggy-gagging around the house...
I personally don't care about the pay, other than it is just not helping me toward retirement. I was not talking about not getting paid this month, but all of my hours spent working last month are, at the moment, not being compensated for. I am not complaining about being on "vacation" as you call it. I am complaining because people go vote the same insignificant idiots into offices of any way, shape, and form, and turn right around and complain about it later. Hey, I could win a landslide election by offering two things in a campaign. My campaign slogan is as follows... "Do not contribute a dime or your time into my election, as you need both more than I do, and free beer for all". BOOM! Landslide win! But alas, as you can see, empty promises is what the poor voters keep voting for. They say if you don't like something, change it. Well, don't vote, and let them figure out what to do next. If a tree falls in the forest... You know the rest.
OMTE

Fitzgerald, GA

#27209 Oct 14, 2013
Rand Paul for President 2016! Hear! Hear!
http://crossmap.christianpost.com/videos/sen-...
Impeach Obama Today!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#27210 Oct 14, 2013
guest wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
Messick simply nails it here. Incredible insight. Rather lengthy but well worth the read.
http://www.salon.com/2013/10/12/modern_gop_is...
Good catch, thanks.

Just look at the postings in this discussion and other discussions in forums from this area, all support the points raised, especially this observation from the end of the article...

...This last point is especially important, because it highlights the absurdity of the notion that today’s conservatives have any meaningful relationship with libertarianism. One often hears, for example, Rand Paul or Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz referred to as members of the “libertarian wing” of the Republican Party. This sort of thing makes one wonder if the commentator thinks “libertarian” is a synonym for “intransigent.” It is, in fact, the name of a particularly stringent form of liberalism, one that differs from anarchism only in its belief that some kind of highly minimal, schematic state can be justified. The question, of course, is what fills the social space created by the contraction of the state. Libertarians, rightly called, believe this space should be filled by a principle of individual liberty. But this is not what Paul or Rubio or Cruz or any other Republican believes. Paul, for instance, opposes abortion rights and same sex marriage. Like Rubio and Cruz and the Tea Party generally, he seeks a smaller government in order to fill the resulting space with some other source of authority and power. He is a perfect example of Sunbelt business conservatism, which wants to displace government so corporate and personal wealth can prevail in a social world dominated by the traditional culture of the evangelical South.

United States

#27211 Oct 14, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Good catch, thanks.
Just look at the postings in this discussion and other discussions in forums from this area, all support the points raised, especially this observation from the end of the article...
...This last point is especially important, because it highlights the absurdity of the notion that today’s conservatives have any meaningful relationship with libertarianism. One often hears, for example, Rand Paul or Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz referred to as members of the “libertarian wing” of the Republican Party. This sort of thing makes one wonder if the commentator thinks “libertarian” is a synonym for “intransigent.” It is, in fact, the name of a particularly stringent form of liberalism, one that differs from anarchism only in its belief that some kind of highly minimal, schematic state can be justified. The question, of course, is what fills the social space created by the contraction of the state. Libertarians, rightly called, believe this space should be filled by a principle of individual liberty. But this is not what Paul or Rubio or Cruz or any other Republican believes. Paul, for instance, opposes abortion rights and same sex marriage. Like Rubio and Cruz and the Tea Party generally, he seeks a smaller government in order to fill the resulting space with some other source of authority and power. He is a perfect example of Sunbelt business conservatism, which wants to displace government so corporate and personal wealth can prevail in a social world dominated by the traditional culture of the evangelical South.
Exactly. I doubt, though, that any of the rightists will read the article and if they do they will vehemently deny the accuracy therein. After all it would only serve to legitimately challenge their comfortable sense of being the "normative".
stelio kontos

Columbus, GA

#27212 Oct 14, 2013
I rather enjoy seeing your judgements on my posts, as it is indicative of how you feel. Thank you for helping me know that I am a nutjob with burnt out light bulds with cans of spam in my world. It is truly eye opening. Now, get yourselves ready to go and vote for the next bunch of idiots to hold office, and complain about it six months down the road.
whom

Broken Arrow, OK

#27213 Oct 14, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, all of this freedom brought to you by Republicans....
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/12/1246...
...I told him to look at the calendar of deadlines.“The House and Senate have to go to conference to reconcile the differences between their two budget resolutions. When Reid tried to get the process started in the Senate, the usual suspects from the GOP rose one by one with objections. This was a charade that went on for weeks. They made it clear that they wanted the Democrats consent agreement in advance on all of the elements in the Ryan budget passed by the House or there would be no conference. They were the ones who didn’t want to negotiate. Read the verbatim transcripts in the Congressional Record from April 24 to May 15. The Republicans never even appointed conferees to the conference because they didn’t want to negotiate. Instead they let the clock run out on the fiscal year knowing that they made no appropriations for the new fiscal year. They didn’t even reauthorize 2013 spending to avoid disruptions on October 1. They thought it would be easier to extract concessions from the Democrats once they were faced with the urgency of a government shutdown. The President is wise not to negotiate with Republican extortionists.“

Since your nondescript response to my post does not address my post, I'll forego replying to your usual babble...
whom

Broken Arrow, OK

#27214 Oct 14, 2013
stelio kontos wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally don't care about the pay, other than it is just not helping me toward retirement. I was not talking about not getting paid this month, but all of my hours spent working last month are, at the moment, not being compensated for. I am not complaining about being on "vacation" as you call it. I am complaining because people go vote the same insignificant idiots into offices of any way, shape, and form, and turn right around and complain about it later. Hey, I could win a landslide election by offering two things in a campaign. My campaign slogan is as follows... "Do not contribute a dime or your time into my election, as you need both more than I do, and free beer for all". BOOM! Landslide win! But alas, as you can see, empty promises is what the poor voters keep voting for. They say if you don't like something, change it. Well, don't vote, and let them figure out what to do next. If a tree falls in the forest... You know the rest.

Since your post appears to be non-political, I will agree with you.

whom

Broken Arrow, OK

#27215 Oct 14, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I doubt, though, that any of the rightists will read the article and if they do they will vehemently deny the accuracy therein. After all it would only serve to legitimately challenge their comfortable sense of being the "normative".

Well blow me down with you being right just once in all your posts...

You are correct, I won't read the dribble.
And why should I even make an attempt to deny something posted by Oh my, as most everyone here knows, he's wrong 99.9% of the time, as you are....

I'm still waiting on you to give rebuttal to any of Obama's Diary entries....

Fact is, I've got some more of his diaries to be posted.....

whom

Broken Arrow, OK

#27216 Oct 14, 2013
Here's the real timeline on the shutdown....

July 23: Senate Republicans Warn They Won't Fund Government If Affordable Care Act Funding Is Included. On July 23, The New York Times reported that Senate Republicans were planning to refuse "any spending measure to keep the government operating after Sept. 30 if it devotes a penny to put in place Mr. Obama's health care law":

In the Senate, Republicans are circulating a letter to Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, warning they will not approve any spending measure to keep the government operating after Sept. 30 if it devotes a penny to put in place Mr. Obama's health care law. Signers so far include the No. 2 and No. 3 Republican senators, John Cornyn of Texas and John Thune of South Dakota, as well as one of the party's rising stars, Marco Rubio of Florida.

The letter, drafted by Senators Mike Lee of Utah, Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky, states: "If Democrats will not agree with Republicans that Obamacare must be repealed, perhaps they can at least agree with the president that the law cannot be implemented as written. If the administration will not enforce the law as written, then the American people should not be forced to fund it." [The New York Times, 7/23/13]

Aug. 21: House And Senate Republicans Send Letter To Boehner Urging Him To Defund Affordable Care Act. An August 21 letter sent by "eighty House Republicans" to Speaker Boehner (R-OH) urged the Speaker to "defund the health-care law as part of a short-term bill to fund government operations." As Bloomberg News wrote:

Eighty House Republicans -- less than half of the caucus -- sent an Aug. 21 letter to Boehner urging him to defund the health-care law as part of a short-term bill to fund government operations. In the Senate, Cruz and Lee have 13 signatures -- also less than half of the chamber's Republicans -- on a similar letter.[Bloomberg News, 8/29/13]

Sept. 27: Senate Sends Bill Funding Government To House For Approval. On September 27, the Senate passed a bill funding the government through November 17 and restoring funding for the ACA. The bill then went to the House for approval, as The New York Times explained:

The Senate on Friday approved stopgap spending legislation to keep the federal government open without gutting President Obama's health care law, putting new pressure on Speaker John A. Boehner to find a way out of an impasse that had the government on a steady course to a shutdown at midnight Monday.

[...]

He can accept the Senate bill, which finances the government through Nov. 15 without Republican policy prescriptions, or listen to his conservatives, who will accept a government shutdown unless the health care law is suspended or weakened.[The New York Times, 9/27/13]

Sept. 29: House Responds By Sending Funding Bill Back To Senate With Different ACA Demands. As Politico reported, the House responded on September 29 by sending the Senate a funding bill that demands a delay to the Affordable Care Act and a repeal on a tax on medical devices:

House Republicans forced through a short-term government funding bill that delays Obamacare and permanently repeals a tax on medical devices, setting up their most dramatic face-off ever with President Barack Obama and Senate Democrats.

[...]

The House also passed a bill to fund U.S. troops in case of a shutdown. The chamber further adopted a "conscience clause" that postpones until 2015 an Obamacare requirement that employers cover birth control as part of their health-insurance packages. Their funding resolution keeps government open until Dec. 15 at a level of $986 billion.

Passage of the funding bill late Saturday night, following several hours of acrimonious debate the House, sets the stage for two days of political drama over whether the federal government will actually shut down on Oct. 1.[Politico, 9/29/13]

continued....

whom

Broken Arrow, OK

#27217 Oct 14, 2013
continued.......

Sept. 30: Boehner Refuses Democrats' Offer To Fund Government At Sequester-Level Spending. While Senate Democrats originally sought $1.058 trillion to fund the government, on September 30 House Democrats agreed to accept sequester-level funding --$986 billion, an amount previously endorsed by Republicans -- "as part of a short-term spending bill to prevent a government shutdown," according to The Hill:

House Democratic leaders said Monday they'll accept the sequester cuts as part of a short-term spending bill to prevent a government shutdown.

The lawmakers framed their concession as a counteroffer to the Republicans' latest continuing resolution (CR) strategy, which will include language designed to derail President Obama's healthcare law.

"Take that [language] off and we'll accept your number," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said at a press briefing in the Capitol. "That's our compromise, that's our offer. We'll take your number to keep government open. Give us a chance to vote for it."

Pelosi said she called Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Monday with the offer, which Boehner refused.

Pelosi and the other House Democratic leaders were quick to note that the sequester-level spending of $986 billion was first championed by Republicans in their initial CR proposal. By contrast, Senate Democrats were pushing for a level of $1.058 trillion.[The Hill, 9/30/13]

Sept. 30: Senate Twice Rejects House Funding Bills That Include New ACA Demands. On September 30, the Senate removed the House's language delaying the ACA. The House responded with a new funding bill and new demands, which the Senate also rejected, as the Associated Press detailed:

--2:20 p.m. EDT: The Senate removes House provisions postponing the health care law and erasing the medical device tax.

--8:41 p.m.: The House approves a new shutdown bill with different demands. It delays for a year the health care law's requirement that individuals buy health insurance, and requires members of Congress and their staff to pay the full expense of health insurance, without the government paying part of the costs.

--9:37 p.m.: The Senate strips the House provisions on individual health insurance and federal health coverage subsidies for Congress.[Associated Press, 10/9/13]

Oct. 6: Boehner Reiterates He Won't Reopen Government Without Concessions On ACA. On October 6, The New York Times reported that Speaker Boehner insisted ending the shutdown would depend on getting concessions from President Obama on the ACA:

Speaker John A. Boehner stood his ground on Sunday alongside the most conservative Republicans in Congress, insisting that the House would not vote to finance and reopen the government or raise the nation's borrowing limit without concessions from President Obama on the health care law.

"The fact is, this fight was going to come one way or the other," Mr. Boehner said on the ABC News program "This Week," adding, "We're in the fight."

With his hard line, Mr. Boehner reaffirmed that the stalemate with the White House over the six-day-old government shutdown was now compounded by an even more economically risky fight over raising the government's borrowing limit by Oct. 17 to pay for bills already incurred.[The New York Times, 10/6/13]

stelio kontos

Columbus, GA

#27218 Oct 14, 2013
whom wrote:
<quoted text>
Since your post appears to be non-political, I will agree with you.
Thank you, as I affiliate myself with no political party. The division of the country as a whole is based on left, right, republican, democrat, liberal, conservative, black, white, asian, hispanic, and so on. Sadly, people have lost their way in the form of disagreeing with others based on one word labels. I'll be ok though. I'm the guy that will always hold the door for you, let you go ahead in line at stores, give you 20 bucks just because, and push you out of the way of traffic and endure the hit, even if I don't know you. Labels? HA! Who needs 'em?

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#27219 Oct 14, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
And lets not forget, he is the 1st and only President to serve during a period when one 1/2 of one of the three branches of government decided to force their opinions and beliefs of a minority on the masses. Resulting in what amounts to NO government from the legislative branch in going on 9 years. That's why a lot of what you list has happened, nobody else was doing a damn thing and that's still the case.
( Most of your sources are either blogs or commentary, places you can find agreement on almost anything! Wake up and smell the stench, its a do nothing Congress created by the Tea Party)
All this nonsense results in just more nonsense, crime in the western plains oil fields is growing, nobody at work to take care of the problem.
"More people equals more money equals more crime," Purdon said, adding that the federal shutdown is making the situation worse.
"We're in this very, very serious fight against organized crime for control of the streets of the oil patch, and I've got about half of my employees home on furlough," he said. "We're in this fight now with one arm tied behind our back."
For this and the other things dragging our economy back again you can thank the Tea Party and its political leaders with only one concern, their future political aspirations. The Tea Party is being used and they don't even have the common sense to know it.
AND you may also thank the left wingnuts who "won't compromise". Your one sided thinking is laughable.

Location hidden

#27220 Oct 14, 2013
stelio kontos wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I am well over it. I am one of those not paid for last month, while being furloughed thanks to the dipnits you all voted into office. I do my job working for this country, and this is what I get? And then the majority complains in great detail on the internet, while never voicing out to those ACTUALLY responsible for your problems. I personally don't give two drops of piss about what people think about me, as a lot of the crap I read on here is not worthy of being wrapped in toilet paper, but to complain about people you vote in after the fact, is just asinine. Or maybe it is because you all know you were lied to the last time around, and the time before that, and the time before that...
Sooooo, whom did YOU vote for?

Location hidden

#27221 Oct 14, 2013
stelio kontos wrote:
<quoted text>
So! Whom did YOU vote for???????

Location hidden

#27222 Oct 14, 2013
stelio kontos wrote:
I rather enjoy seeing your judgements on my posts, as it is indicative of how you feel. Thank you for helping me know that I am a nutjob with burnt out light bulds with cans of spam in my world. It is truly eye opening. Now, get yourselves ready to go and vote for the next bunch of idiots to hold office, and complain about it six months down the road.
Again, whom did YOU vote for?

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#27223 Oct 14, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
And lets not forget, he is the 1st and only President to serve during a period when one 1/2 of one of the three branches of government decided to force their opinions and beliefs of a minority on the masses. Resulting in what amounts to NO government from the legislative branch in going on 9 years. That's why a lot of what you list has happened, nobody else was doing a damn thing and that's still the case.
Pssst, let me tell you a little secret, over the last 9 years Democrats had both the House and Senate from 2007-2011. And Obama had two full years with a Democratic House and Senate with, in your words, "NO government from the legislative branch". So just who is the problem here???

Of course, we on the Right were thrilled that the Democrats proved so inept during those two years, with the unfortunate exception of their attempt to ruin our healthcare system with Obamacare.
stelio kontos

Columbus, GA

#27224 Oct 14, 2013
Aggie23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Pssst, let me tell you a little secret, over the last 9 years Democrats had both the House and Senate from 2007-2011. And Obama had two full years with a Democratic House and Senate with, in your words, "NO government from the legislative branch". So just who is the problem here???
Of course, we on the Right were thrilled that the Democrats proved so inept during those two years, with the unfortunate exception of their attempt to ruin our healthcare system with Obamacare.
I have never voted, as I refuse to be held responsible for the bag of tricks that politicians pull out to gain my individual approval. I don't let myself become a puppet to the absolute mayhem, and subtle stupidity that is almost every person running for any office. Call it what you want, and I know the mind of the voting public always says "If you don't like it, vote for a change", but why? So I can fall into believing the jargon, and the fictitious things they say to gain votes? NOPE! I do not enjoy being lied to, and certainly will not vote for anyone blowing smoke up my butt because they think that is what I want to hear. Politicians are just like the worst form of criminals walking the planet today, such as doctors, lawyers, and auto mechanics. They can tell you anything is wrong, and they have a way to fix it, but be prepared to own crutches, as you always walk out minus an arm and a leg. Notice I always say "you voted in". If I had my way, I'd vote myself in, and not try to punish people by telling them things that I know are impossible, and yanking them dry of money every chance I got. Y'all keep them there votes a comin' though.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#27225 Oct 14, 2013
stelio kontos wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never voted, as I refuse to be held responsible for the bag of tricks that politicians pull out to gain my individual approval. I don't let myself become a puppet to the absolute mayhem, and subtle stupidity that is almost every person running for any office. Call it what you want, and I know the mind of the voting public always says "If you don't like it, vote for a change", but why? So I can fall into believing the jargon, and the fictitious things they say to gain votes? NOPE! I do not enjoy being lied to, and certainly will not vote for anyone blowing smoke up my butt because they think that is what I want to hear. Politicians are just like the worst form of criminals walking the planet today, such as doctors, lawyers, and auto mechanics. They can tell you anything is wrong, and they have a way to fix it, but be prepared to own crutches, as you always walk out minus an arm and a leg. Notice I always say "you voted in". If I had my way, I'd vote myself in, and not try to punish people by telling them things that I know are impossible, and yanking them dry of money every chance I got. Y'all keep them there votes a comin' though.

I can't let this one pass without a comment.
First of all we all know a fictitious animated cartoon character can't vote. Maybe that is why you don't vote.
Is it better to just sit back, watching the raging rivers rise up their banks and scream the river is rising, we are going to have a terrible flood? Or is it better to try and fill sandbags and at least try to protect your family and home?
You feel proud of never voting, which for some odd reason makes you feel superior to those that do. At least those voting are trying to do something even if their goals are not achieved. They are not allowed to vote against a candidate, which I think would help.
Have you ever run for office yourself? Have you ever given your time or donations to some obscure political party that you believed in?
Seems you only bitch and moan and never participate in any kind of process for which you might actually want to vote.
Apathy can be a dangerous thing which evil politicians will and do use for their own advantage.
Your approach of hiding in a cave, seeing bad in everything is no solution.
go team

Cordele, GA

#27226 Oct 14, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, whom did YOU vote for?
Damn Syn, did you just wake up or something- for the past three days this guy has been telling everyone that he doesn't vote and that anyone who does has no right to complain. Get with the program, girl!
stelio kontos

Columbus, GA

#27227 Oct 14, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't let this one pass without a comment.
First of all we all know a fictitious animated cartoon character can't vote. Maybe that is why you don't vote.
Is it better to just sit back, watching the raging rivers rise up their banks and scream the river is rising, we are going to have a terrible flood? Or is it better to try and fill sandbags and at least try to protect your family and home?
You feel proud of never voting, which for some odd reason makes you feel superior to those that do. At least those voting are trying to do something even if their goals are not achieved. They are not allowed to vote against a candidate, which I think would help.
Have you ever run for office yourself? Have you ever given your time or donations to some obscure political party that you believed in?
Seems you only bitch and moan and never participate in any kind of process for which you might actually want to vote.
Apathy can be a dangerous thing which evil politicians will and do use for their own advantage.
Your approach of hiding in a cave, seeing bad in everything is no solution.
You want me to cast my ballots and vote? I vote to fire them all. Every last one. As I have stated before, I would run for President on the premise of " Hold on to your money, I don't need it, you do. Free beer for all". Now, I would run a landslide victory, but even I know I can't provide those things, or guarantee promises made to get votes. I just simply decided not to vote in life, as popularity contests only go so far until the most popular fails to deliver the promises made to their voters, leaving them scratching their heads as to what the heck went wrong. You all have your God given right to vote if you want to, as I have the same not to. I will end by saying this, if, by some weird act of chance I wind up voting, I will write in my fictitious cartoon character name for mayor. I think Stelio could do a way better job than the Buffoons running the show right now, and if anything is truly fictitious, it is the promises the foolish voters fall for EVERY time, only to turn right around and "bitch and moan" as you put it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Okefenokee EMS (Mar '14) 35 min Paige 2
How do you change your IP address location (Mar '10) 17 hr dolorees 5
Power outage (Mar '07) Dec 21 Teacher 2
Rupert Blackman has AIDs Dec 17 me2youlol 3
Looking for info on Felisha Ponsell Dec 17 me2youlol 4
Georgia hospital losing $2 million a year in mi... Dec 17 northernboy62 1
Miles Crews Dec 2 just wondering 1
Brunswick Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web