Who do you support for U.S. Senate in...
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#26856 Oct 10, 2013
Scott wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/blairsville-g...
By Thomas Sewell
When it comes to something as basic, and apparently as simple and straightforward, as the question of who shut down the federal government, there are diametrically opposite answers, depending on whether you talk to Democrats or to Republicans.
THU OCT 10, 2013 AT 09:44 AM PDT
How House Republicans guaranteed a shutdown: by changing the rules
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/10/1246...

Here's proof positive that Republicans own this shutdown. How badly did House Republican leadership wanted to shut down the government? Here's how much. They used an unprecedented parliamentary procedure to block any chance that the clean continuing resolution sent to them by the Senate would reach the floor. They did so by changing standing House rules.
Under normal procedure, here's how it would have worked the day it all fell down, September 30. The Senate sent over their clean CR. The House amended it with their anti-Obamacare stuff. The Senate rejected that change, and sent their resolution back. At that point, under normal procedure, any member would have been able to make a motion to bring the Senate bill to the floor. The rule that says they can do it is this:

When the stage of disagreement has been reached on a bill or resolution with House or Senate amendments, a motion to dispose of any amendment shall be privileged.
That means the chambers are deadlocked and any member trying to break the deadlock would be able to do so—would have privilege to do so. Except that in this case, for this continuing resolution only, Republicans changed the rule. They did it on the night of September 30, the eve of the shutdown, in a Rules Committee meeting. The rule change said that any motion to take up the Senate bill "may be offered only by the majority Leader or his designee." Meaning only Eric Cantor or with his approval. Which wasn't going to happen.

"I've never seen this rule used. I'm not even sure they were certain we would have found it," a House Democratic aide told TPM. "This was an overabundance of caution on their part.'We've got to find every single crack in the dam that water can get through and plug it.'"

Congressional historians agreed that it was highly unusual for the House to reserve such power solely for the leadership.

"I've never heard of anything like that before," Norm Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, told TPM.

There was no way John Boehner and Eric Cantor were going to allow a clean funding bill to reach the floor the night before the shutdown. Because they knew that there were plenty of Republicans who would vote for it and it would pass.
House Democrats knew this was happening from the beginning, but unlike the Senate, the minority party in the House has very little power to do anything about abuses like this. They've been doing what they can do, trying to pass a motion to recommit every mini-funding bill the leadership brings up, to replace them with the Senate's clean resolution. But the procedure is arcane and complex and it's easy for the so-called moderate Republicans to pretend like those efforts don't exist, and to not do what they say they want—reopen government with a clean spending bill.

That makes those "moderate" Republicans as complicit in this as their leadership. The entire Republican Party owns this shutdown, completely.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#26857 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
But the Federal Hwy System has not shutdown has it, and the airports are still open, and what has been shutdown is non-essential operations each of which was, or should have been, a known fact to those Republicans who have sought to shutdown the government. This shutdown is exactly what Republicans wanted, and to moan and groan about this or that non-essential part now being unavailable is really stoooopid.
Course, there's no surprises there.
What are you arguing about anyway? I never implied that the Federal highways or the airports were shut down. I said I wondered if Obama had thought about closing them down next to make his point of how he could hurt us and how powerful he was.
I guess you want the Democrats and Obama to rule without opposition. Yeah, I guess a dictatorship would suit you well.

Since: Jul 12

Douglasville, GA

#26858 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
But the Federal Hwy System has not shutdown has it, and the airports are still open, and what has been shutdown is non-essential operations each of which was, or should have been, a known fact to those Republicans who have sought to shutdown the government. This shutdown is exactly what Republicans wanted, and to moan and groan about this or that non-essential part now being unavailable is really stoooopid.
Course, there's no surprises there.
What is really stupid is shutting down open air memorials and parking sites on the sides of the roads and calling them non-essential shutdowns. Using armed police to make sure no one gets near a memorial that sits out in the open and furnishes no amenities. Gee, how horrible would it be to let a person take a picture of some buffalo's at Yellowstone, or walk around the WW11 Memorial that sits our in the open and can normally be visited 24 hours a day?

“Liberals are closet raaacists!”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#26859 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Dipsy Doodle,
Regarding Michelle's website, if you knew anything about websites you would know that once they are setup and running their is very little on going interaction required from the creators.
"Wonder why the Amber Alert site was shut down..."
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/missing/shutdow...
The DoJ's AMBER Alert web site only provides background information and statistics about the AMBER Alert system; it doesn't create, disseminate, or list the alerts themselves. AMBER alerts are issued locally, and they are compiled and tracked on the web site of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC), which is, and has been, available throughout the federal government shutdown...
Take the time to goto the links provided in the original post and educate yourself...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2...
53. Who decides which employees work and which go home? Each agency is responsible for coming up with its own contingency plan, based on guidance from the Office of Management and Budget and the Office of Personnel Management. Those plans are then sent to the White House for review.
guidance from the Office of Management and Budget
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files...
guidance from the Office of Personnel Management
http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-...
Those plans are then sent to the White House for review.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/contingency-pla...
You are just making your USUAL excuses. It is very obvious that the Obama administration is picking and choosing where to put the pressure on. Obama is so incredibly dishonest, it shouldn't be THAT difficult for you to accept. He has NO RESPECT for rules. Everyone knows that except you and a few other liberals. Wonder where Chickenbutt is? Would you happen to know?

Location hidden

#26860 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear 1 Big Dumby,
Why would the Federal Highway need to be shutdown, please try and explain your reasoning.
Government shutdown impact: Mail, air travel, prisons
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/governm...
Federal air traffic controllers would remain on the job and airport screeners would keep funneling passengers through security checkpoints. Federal inspectors would continue enforcing safety rules.
Perhaps Chickenbutt can explain that to you. Gee. Where is Chickenbutt when you need him?

Warrenton, VA

#26861 Oct 10, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you arguing about anyway? I never implied that the Federal highways or the airports were shut down. I said I wondered if Obama had thought about closing them down next to make his point of how he could hurt us and how powerful he was.
I guess you want the Democrats and Obama to rule without opposition. Yeah, I guess a dictatorship would suit you well.
Hey mister semantics.

Do you think that President Obama is the legitimate president?

Do you think that he hates America.

Do you think that his goal is to destroy America.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#26862 Oct 10, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What is really stupid is shutting down open air memorials and parking sites on the sides of the roads and calling them non-essential shutdowns. Using armed police to make sure no one gets near a memorial that sits out in the open and furnishes no amenities. Gee, how horrible would it be to let a person take a picture of some buffalo's at Yellowstone, or walk around the WW11 Memorial that sits our in the open and can normally be visited 24 hours a day?
Well, take it up with the Republican Tea Party, this is exactly what they wanted, they planned on it.

Location hidden

#26863 Oct 10, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I am far from satisfied with our government, or for that matter Obama. Its the Tea Party that's what I am 100% against. Its nuts like you and the Tea Party who seems to have taken control of the Republican Party. Since that time government has ceased to govern. The Tea Party was actually a good idea in the beginning, but the idea has been hijacked by whackos with no real idea of the ramifications of what they want, plus they don't care about anyone but themselves. The deficit is actually going down, the Dems for the first time in a while are willing to talk about changes to social programs and other cost cuts. They are not will to dismantle them or to shove the burden on future generations. The idea that current recipients and those close to receiving Social Security benefits should see no change while younger generations pay for the programs they will see little benefit from is ridiculous. Especially since that generation is the major cause of the problems we now have. A generation that wanted to control the world, a greedy, generation, a buy it on credit generation. A generation fathered by the greatest generation is now the generation that caused the second great depression.
And they claim its all Obamas fault, give me a break.
On thing we in the end will be thankful for is your attempts, they will be the building blocks of your demise. The frustrating standoff in Washington is weighing on each side's poll numbers, but Republicans are taking the worst drubbing. A Gallup poll put the approval rating for the Republican Party at a record-low 28 percent. Polls have consistently said the Republicans deserve the greater share of blame for the shutdown. Your side can't seem to play by the rules. In states such as Ga. and most southern states they have used redistricting in a way to make it hard for anything but Republican's to win office. They have changed campaign laws making it OK for rich Republicans to back a single candidate for President. They can't live with a law passed, they hold the whole country hostage till they get their way, it ain't gonna happen this time.
You are one confused individual. How do you come up with this stuff? You are supporting a WORLD CLASS narcissistic ego maniacal individual and you claim that the Tea Party people only care about THEMSELVES??????? I am not a Tea Party person, but I do support anyone who can stop or at least slow down what Obama is trying to do to this country. If the Republicans deserve the low approval rating, how do you explain Obama's 37% approval rating? Your redistricting excuse is laughable. YOu libs NEVER run out of excuses. You are ALL petulant children. No wonder you think so much of Obama. You all belong to the same play group. As far as playing by the rules, the House is playing by the rules. On the other hand, not ONE republican voted for that sorry healthcare law. Not one. That dictator you seem to think so much of didn't reach across the aisle. He wanted that law. No one had read it. He didn't care. Are you listening to yourself. Surely not. Obama is the reason for the 17% shutdown. He refused to negotiate. If you think for one minute that the democrats are going to come out of this unscathed, you are just as clueless as your posts point out that you are.

Location hidden

#26864 Oct 10, 2013
ChicknButt wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Anne Coultier can say anything he would like to say. That doesn't mean that you have to be stupid enough to take it as fact.
Perhaps you should be intelligent enough to listen to Anne Coulter. It will be over your head, but perhaps someone will be kind enough to explain it to you.
Oh my

Blairsville, GA

#26865 Oct 10, 2013
Synergy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are just making your USUAL excuses. It is very obvious that the Obama administration is picking and choosing where to put the pressure on. Obama is so incredibly dishonest, it shouldn't be THAT difficult for you to accept. He has NO RESPECT for rules. Everyone knows that except you and a few other liberals. Wonder where Chickenbutt is? Would you happen to know?
Everyone knows that it's simply impossible for you to accept a rational explanation, the Republican Tea Party knew exactly what was going to be shutdown, they wanted it, they cheered it when it happened, now they feign outrage.

No surprises here.

Location hidden

#26866 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
You've forgotten who you are responding, so being stooopid and believing Ann Coultier is a given.
lol Anne Coulter would eat your lunch in 5 seconds. She has forgotten more than you will EVER know. You are hilarious.

Location hidden

#26867 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
THU OCT 10, 2013 AT 09:44 AM PDT
How House Republicans guaranteed a shutdown: by changing the rules
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/10/1246...
Here's proof positive that Republicans own this shutdown. How badly did House Republican leadership wanted to shut down the government? Here's how much. They used an unprecedented parliamentary procedure to block any chance that the clean continuing resolution sent to them by the Senate would reach the floor. They did so by changing standing House rules.
Under normal procedure, here's how it would have worked the day it all fell down, September 30. The Senate sent over their clean CR. The House amended it with their anti-Obamacare stuff. The Senate rejected that change, and sent their resolution back. At that point, under normal procedure, any member would have been able to make a motion to bring the Senate bill to the floor. The rule that says they can do it is this:
When the stage of disagreement has been reached on a bill or resolution with House or Senate amendments, a motion to dispose of any amendment shall be privileged.
That means the chambers are deadlocked and any member trying to break the deadlock would be able to do so—would have privilege to do so. Except that in this case, for this continuing resolution only, Republicans changed the rule. They did it on the night of September 30, the eve of the shutdown, in a Rules Committee meeting. The rule change said that any motion to take up the Senate bill "may be offered only by the majority Leader or his designee." Meaning only Eric Cantor or with his approval. Which wasn't going to happen.
"I've never seen this rule used. I'm not even sure they were certain we would have found it," a House Democratic aide told TPM. "This was an overabundance of caution on their part.'We've got to find every single crack in the dam that water can get through and plug it.'"
Congressional historians agreed that it was highly unusual for the House to reserve such power solely for the leadership.
"I've never heard of anything like that before," Norm Ornstein, resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, told TPM.
There was no way John Boehner and Eric Cantor were going to allow a clean funding bill to reach the floor the night before the shutdown. Because they knew that there were plenty of Republicans who would vote for it and it would pass.
House Democrats knew this was happening from the beginning, but unlike the Senate, the minority party in the House has very little power to do anything about abuses like this. They've been doing what they can do, trying to pass a motion to recommit every mini-funding bill the leadership brings up, to replace them with the Senate's clean resolution. But the procedure is arcane and complex and it's easy for the so-called moderate Republicans to pretend like those efforts don't exist, and to not do what they say they want—reopen government with a clean spending bill.
That makes those "moderate" Republicans as complicit in this as their leadership. The entire Republican Party owns this shutdown, completely.
This is really funny coming from one of the members of the Cheating Party.

Location hidden

#26868 Oct 10, 2013
Bigdave1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have determined that is exactly why they are supporting Obama. They totally support a one party system. Then they won't have to take responsiblity for this own lives. The government will tell them what to do and how to live. Apparentlly, they aren't competent enough to do that for themselves.

Location hidden

#26869 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
You've forgotten who you are responding, so being stooopid and believing Ann Coultier is a given.
You are ONE to criticize someone else when ALL you do is cut and paste. Why don't you stop that and post in your owns words and include the link? I think I know why, but let's see if you'll start doing that.

Location hidden

#26870 Oct 10, 2013
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I am far from satisfied with our government, or for that matter Obama. Its the Tea Party that's what I am 100% against. Its nuts like you and the Tea Party who seems to have taken control of the Republican Party. Since that time government has ceased to govern. The Tea Party was actually a good idea in the beginning, but the idea has been hijacked by whackos with no real idea of the ramifications of what they want, plus they don't care about anyone but themselves. The deficit is actually going down, the Dems for the first time in a while are willing to talk about changes to social programs and other cost cuts. They are not will to dismantle them or to shove the burden on future generations. The idea that current recipients and those close to receiving Social Security benefits should see no change while younger generations pay for the programs they will see little benefit from is ridiculous. Especially since that generation is the major cause of the problems we now have. A generation that wanted to control the world, a greedy, generation, a buy it on credit generation. A generation fathered by the greatest generation is now the generation that caused the second great depression.
And they claim its all Obamas fault, give me a break.
On thing we in the end will be thankful for is your attempts, they will be the building blocks of your demise. The frustrating standoff in Washington is weighing on each side's poll numbers, but Republicans are taking the worst drubbing. A Gallup poll put the approval rating for the Republican Party at a record-low 28 percent. Polls have consistently said the Republicans deserve the greater share of blame for the shutdown. Your side can't seem to play by the rules. In states such as Ga. and most southern states they have used redistricting in a way to make it hard for anything but Republican's to win office. They have changed campaign laws making it OK for rich Republicans to back a single candidate for President. They can't live with a law passed, they hold the whole country hostage till they get their way, it ain't gonna happen this time.
BTW, this IS Obama's fault. Also, you do want a one party system,, don't you? Just answer that question and we'll all know all we need to know about you. Go ahead. Admit it.

Location hidden

#26871 Oct 10, 2013
Doo wrote:
<quoted text>
So you deny that fact that we had two wars that cost trillions and over 6,000 Americans lost their lives. Didn't happen? Oh yes it surly did. Are you blind or just crazy? Obamacare is the law of he land and will be funded like it or not. This is the Republicans last ditch effort to kill it for their rich buddies that got them elected. Everyone should pay in so everyone can have coverage and doo away with the leaches that are too sorry to buy insurance and put their hospital bills on my tab and yours too. Blinc, lame, and dumb sounds like you friend.
Have you signed up for Obamacare, yet?

Location hidden

#26872 Oct 10, 2013
Doo wrote:
<quoted text>
Great Post and I agree completely. The Tea Party poops will soon be sent home and a lot of Moderates will loos the election in 2014 and the Democrats will again run the Senate, House and Presidency. They don't all this damage to themselves.
Are you sure about tha?

Location hidden

#26873 Oct 10, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO - Bachman, the darling of backwoods, knuckle dragging rednecks and other religious fanatics...too damned funny.
"Impeach Obama..." - On what grounds retard? On the grounds that you and a hand full of fanatics hate his guts? Your hatred is all you've got. Too damned funny x2 -
Wow. This is profound. Talk aobut a knuckle dragger. I vote....YOU.

Location hidden

#26874 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
THU OCT 10, 2013 AT 08:45 AM PDT
Republicans finally admit the obvious: It's THEIR shutdown
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/10/1245...
Boehner lets 'em keep shutdown in exchange for 6wk DL ext MT @BenjySarlin Labrador says he backs DL increase to continue fight against Ocare
[email protected]
Republicans have been hilariously trying to lay blame for their shutdown on Democrats. It's not a tactic that has worked, given the brutal anti-GOP lean in recent polling. But in today's GOP caucus meeting, it was the teabaggers who fought House Speaker John Boehner for the right to keep the government shuttered. And National Review's Robert Costa, who has reported from inside the GOP caucus better than anyone else, has confirmed it.
It's their shutdown, and they don't want to give it up.
Obama is responsible for the shutdown. You know it. Wnat to talk about anti? The polls seem to be anti-Obama these days. 37%. lol

Location hidden

#26875 Oct 10, 2013
Oh my wrote:
<quoted text>
THU OCT 10, 2013 AT 08:45 AM PDT
Republicans finally admit the obvious: It's THEIR shutdown
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/10/1245...
Boehner lets 'em keep shutdown in exchange for 6wk DL ext MT @BenjySarlin Labrador says he backs DL increase to continue fight against Ocare
[email protected]
Republicans have been hilariously trying to lay blame for their shutdown on Democrats. It's not a tactic that has worked, given the brutal anti-GOP lean in recent polling. But in today's GOP caucus meeting, it was the teabaggers who fought House Speaker John Boehner for the right to keep the government shuttered. And National Review's Robert Costa, who has reported from inside the GOP caucus better than anyone else, has confirmed it.
It's their shutdown, and they don't want to give it up.
More cut and paste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brunswick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Part 12 Guy Heinze Jr. (May '10) 2 hr TheOriginalCoolio 1,201
The Villas at Golden Isles May 26 LoriAnne 2
Speed Trap along the I-95 corridor in Mcintosh ... (Nov '15) May 20 KJay 7
What McIntosh/Darien does not want you to know (May '13) Apr '16 darienspeedtrap 24
What Y'all think of District Attorney Jackie Jo... (Nov '11) Apr '16 David 99
Trump may be doing us a favor Mar '16 JillyJelly 1
megan swantek (Jun '13) Mar '16 yo!! 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brunswick Mortgages