Upstate NY paper company shuts down

Upstate NY paper company shuts down

There are 4 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 3, 2008, titled Upstate NY paper company shuts down. In it, Newsday reports that:

An upstate New York paper company is shutting down, leaving 75 people without jobs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

liner

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 3, 2008
Hmmm, shut it down after a worker was crushed to death on the job. Anyone smell a lawsuit in the air?
MorgaineA77

Springfield Gardens, NY

#2 Jul 3, 2008
wheres hillary to save the jobs
tammy

Jasper, IN

#3 Jul 12, 2008
Good job liner blame it on a dead man. Just for the record, you can't sue your employer. Workers comp provides a portion of benefits based on a percentage of the workers pay and a allowance for funeral cost usually around 5,000 to 6,000. Try to give someone a decent good by with that, it is not going to happen. Then if the poor guy/gal had no spouse or children then the only payment received it is the allowance for the funeral. If by chance there is a way to sue it is capped and most of the time families can not discus the small amount they do get because that is part of the settlement and 40 percent plus expenses go to an attorney.

I am so sick of people bringing up law suits like it is a horrible thing for someone to do. We are not talking about hot coffee here or killing an animal which gets more attention than a family member being killed. We loose 6,000 workers a year in the workplace not including the 60,000 who die from workplace illness, diseases, and injuries. These should be treated as manslaughter whether it is voluntary or involuntary but for now we have to rely an a week system to take care of the issue and if that means suing to protect the workers then so be it. After all the company had 35 violations!
Noisette

Long Beach, NY

#4 Jul 13, 2008
I hate to see American jobs lost but I also hate to see companies profit by allowing unsafe working condidtions.

Every April 28th, the United States marks Workers' Memorial Day. It is a day of remembrance of those who lose their lives on the job. Google the Workers' Memorial organization in your area. You will be shocked to see how many of your neighbors went to work and didn't come home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brownville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i work in assembly at the arms 1 hr william 1
Bye Bye Remington 1 hr StopDrinkingTheWater 46
remington drug test 6 hr Mike 9
Ilion Water. WTF 7 hr Hey Now 14
News Little Falls Woman Has 'Escape' Added to Her Li... 7 hr robbie 21
CVA football 9 hr Resident 5
Frankfort's Topix Forum (Aug '11) 20 hr Stick 10

Brownville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance