Ship from Suisun Bay mothball fleet i...

Ship from Suisun Bay mothball fleet is heading for Texas on fin...

There are 21 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Dec 5, 2009, titled Ship from Suisun Bay mothball fleet is heading for Texas on fin.... In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

The first ship to leave the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet's mothball fleet in three years began its journey Friday from San Francisco to Texas.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tramky

Vallejo, CA

#1 Dec 5, 2009
The most stupid, wasteful, inefficient program possible--this is how they spend OUR tax money--on derelict ships!!! Are we all just STUPID??!!

Understand, folks, that this derelict hulk is being towed through the Panama Canal to get from 10 miles away to Texas, rather than being dismantled on the west coast of the United States.

Somebody in the government should go to PRISON for this malfeasance!
jus fine

Milpitas, CA

#2 Dec 5, 2009
it's fine with the progressives that fear industry in vallejo. waste all you want to keep that crabp out of mare island.
"the housing market will turn around, it did before"-crone
GregoryZephyr

Vallejo, CA

#3 Dec 5, 2009
Evidently Rep. Miller and Gov. Schwarzenegger see no problem with ensuring jobs are available in Texas. Unless it involves installing solar panels or serving $5 drinks in a nightclub, California doesn't want the jobs.
Robert

Vallejo, CA

#4 Dec 5, 2009
Why can't these be towed to the Dry Docks in Vallejo and the work done there? We could sure use the jobs and one would think it would be cheaper.
Brown Toast

San Francisco, CA

#5 Dec 5, 2009
Like the saying goes "You can't make everybody happy." No matter where these ships are recycled, somebody will always find something wrong with it. In fact just sitting in the water is already causing a lot of environmental accusations.
Duh

Vallejo, CA

#6 Dec 5, 2009
Brown Toast wrote:
Like the saying goes "You can't make everybody happy." No matter where these ships are recycled, somebody will always find something wrong with it. In fact just sitting in the water is already causing a lot of environmental accusations.
No, dumb arse, we would just like the work done here.
VHS

San Francisco, CA

#7 Dec 5, 2009
I believe the estimate was 200 tons of diesel needed to move the scrap iron down to Texas. 200 tons of pollutants into the atmosphere and not a peep out of our local faux environmentalists. Phony as 3 dollar bills.
IRT

Petaluma, CA

#8 Dec 6, 2009
VHS wrote:
I believe the estimate was 200 tons of diesel needed to move the scrap iron down to Texas. 200 tons of pollutants into the atmosphere and not a peep out of our local faux environmentalists. Phony as 3 dollar bills.
200 tons of diesel is about 57,000 gallons, it takes about 300,000 gallons of diesel to get there almost 1100 tons. And about the environmentalist in California, just take a look at our highways and all the trash on them, in Texas seldom do you see even a scrap of paper. California environmentalists are a joke
Did I Say That Outloud

United States

#9 Dec 6, 2009
IRT wrote:
<quoted text>
200 tons of diesel is about 57,000 gallons, it takes about 300,000 gallons of diesel to get there almost 1100 tons. And about the environmentalist in California, just take a look at our highways and all the trash on them, in Texas seldom do you see even a scrap of paper. California environmentalists are a joke
It seems in other states prisoners are used to clean the highways. Here, we use prisoners to watch T.V. and lift weights.
IRT

Petaluma, CA

#10 Dec 6, 2009
Did I Say That Outloud wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems in other states prisoners are used to clean the highways. Here, we use prisoners to watch T.V. and lift weights.
What the hell does prisoners have to do with 1100 tons of diesel fuel ?????
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#11 Dec 6, 2009
CA Drydocks is just a pipedream. I would like to see the ships come here, but the US Gov't gave the contract to BAE. Complain to them, the ships going elsewhere doesn't have a lot do to with Vallejo.
Kurshan for Council 2011

United States

#12 Dec 6, 2009
In the early part of 2008, when I was still a loyal supporter of his, I attended a town hall meeting that Congressman George Miller conducted in Martinez, CA.
At tha meeting I publicly asked Miller what his position was concerning the reopening of the Mare Island Dry Docks.
The Congressman's response was word for word quote:: The dry docks are part of Vallejo's past, we need to be concerned with Vallejo's future.
This arrogant political instantly lost my support and my vote in his re election.

His attitude is why the ships are going to Texas instead of all and not just a few of themb being dismantled on Mare Island.

Wake up people and learn who not to vote for when it comes to Vallejo's wefare. And prosperity.

George Miller needs to look out for Vallejo and he is not and has not done so for a long time.

Please remember this the next time he is up for re election.

There sahould be an investigation. This reminds me of the over sight scandal over the $400.00 toilet seats the pentagon squandered. Our money on before it became public knowledge.

Write to and call Miller's office to voice your outrage over this scandal!
Irish Mike

AOL

#13 Dec 7, 2009
they didn't want to locate here after seeing the spokesperson they thought they were dealing with, sam kurshan, getting pulled away by the neck at a city council meeting by 3 vpd on the ten oclock news
VHS

San Francisco, CA

#14 Dec 7, 2009
Good morning brain dead Irish Mike.

Nancy Pelosi's nephew, Lawrence Pelosi was senior vice president of land acquisition and Lennar communities while the Hunters Point and Vallejo land grabs took place. Gavin Newsom is Nancy Pelosi's nephew and received millions of campaign contributions through Lennar's land grab in San Francisco. There is a political momentum here that moves in the direction of Lennar's previous strategy of minimizing industry on MI in the clearly marked INDUSTRIAL zone, despite signing agreements with the citizens of Vallejo to the contrary, to favor the more profitable particle board shacks called homes. George Miller is obligated to this political cabal and dare not advocate against the monetary interests of the Pelosi family and Lennar. This should now slowly change as the political marching orders from the speaker of the house filter down through the ranks and finally reach George Miller. There is a silver lining to this second greatest economic crime of all time, greed and criminal mortgage activity of housing developers like Lennar. Now that Lennar and other criminals have destroyed the residential housing markets, they are forced to honor the letter and spirit of the agreement they made with Vallejo to develop the zones clearly marked INDUSTRIAL.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2004/10/22/1...

http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2...

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php...

http://www.fogcityjournal.com/news_in_brief/k...
color

San Francisco, CA

#15 Dec 7, 2009
Robert wrote:
Why can't these be towed to the Dry Docks in Vallejo and the work done there? We could sure use the jobs and one would think it would be cheaper.
Vallejo City Council member Gomes does not want the ships on MI, they are too noisy and they will pollute the waters. Forget that they would bring jobs, make the city money, Gomes wants condos, houses and boutiques. When will Vallejo wake up, only 7% of the voters were at the polls and they run the city. Very Sad

Since: Jun 09

Walnut Creek, CA

#16 Dec 7, 2009
color wrote:
<quoted text>
Vallejo City Council member Gomes does not want the ships on MI, they are too noisy and they will pollute the waters. Forget that they would bring jobs, make the city money, Gomes wants condos, houses and boutiques. When will Vallejo wake up, only 7% of the voters were at the polls and they run the city. Very Sad
Your beloved Mayor feels the same way as Gomes, why no anger with him? Oh, that's right, he's black so he can p1ss in your cheerios and you will thank him.
color

San Francisco, CA

#17 Dec 8, 2009
CRRAAAZY wrote:
<quoted text>Your beloved Mayor feels the same way as Gomes, why no anger with him? Oh, that's right, he's black so he can p1ss in your cheerios and you will thank him.
We will pray for you, our leader Mayor Davis has spoken and we must follow him. Please join us at city council meeting tonight for a prayer before the meeting in city chambers. "The black man shall prevail once again" were spoken by the famous James T. Hornsworth.

Gomes has no history in Vallejo and her intentions are not good for Vallejo. She is now a sinner, supporting the sinners.

Since: Jun 09

Walnut Creek, CA

#18 Dec 8, 2009
color wrote:
<quoted text>
We will pray for you, our leader Mayor Davis has spoken and we must follow him. Please join us at city council meeting tonight for a prayer before the meeting in city chambers. "The black man shall prevail once again" were spoken by the famous James T. Hornsworth.
Gomes has no history in Vallejo and her intentions are not good for Vallejo. She is now a sinner, supporting the sinners.
You can "follow" him all you like, just don't call me when you wind up in the bay. Davis is afraid to stand up to Gomes. Why is that? No FAITH? Yeah all his praying has helped Vallejo alot hasn't it?
tramky

Vallejo, CA

#19 Dec 9, 2009
It looks like the opponents of opening the Mare Island dry docks will get their wish. The Maritime Administration appears to be close to awarding contracts for ALL the remaining Suisun reserve fleet derelicts to a company in San Francisco. The ships will be towed from Suisun to San Francisco, cleaned up in dry docks THERE, then towed through the Panama Canal to Texas to be dismantled.

So rather than waiting to get the Mare Island dry docks opened & operating to ship dismantling--or pushing hard to get them opened for this purpose even sooner--we the taxpayers are going to pay over 300% more to deal with these derelict ships than it would cost if done on Mare Island.

And we wonder why we are going bankrupt. Do these people think we are stupid?!
VHS

San Francisco, CA

#21 Dec 10, 2009
Next time one of Vallejo's faux environmentalists begin wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth over the "environmental harm" ship breaking at MI would do, ask them to take a minute and see the ship breaking that will take place in Texas.

http://maps.google.com/maps...

Ship breaking down under will be done in earthen ditches where contaminates are able to leech into the wetland bottom soils. The world is flat when the frauds are selling their propaganda but when actual demonstrable issues come around close to home they are NIMBY's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brownsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tick Riders: Guarding U.S. from deadly pest (Apr '08) 11 hr Tom 3
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Sat Fartman 904
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jul 1 Farters 742
Swingers Jun 30 Stxfuncouple 1
Any DTF girls out there ? (Aug '12) Jun 9 Thatcucci 7
News Will amnesty survive the full 5th Circuit Court... May '15 wild child 2
News Tracy Rhode faints after guilty verdict is read (May '08) May '15 Rod 35
More from around the web

Brownsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Brownsville Mortgages