Moving to Brownsville Texas
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Caffeinated

Bartlett, IL

#21 Mar 26, 2010
Brownsville crime statistics:
http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp...
Jim

Mcallen, TX

#22 May 24, 2010
Brownsville is definitely not for everyone, but it can be an extremely low cost retirement option. My wife and I live in a gated RV park for $200 a month plus electricity. WiFi, cable, water, trash and sewage are free. In a park like this, you are really not integrated into the community. Your neighbors are from Canada and the northern states.

Outside the gates of the park are WalMart, all of the fast foods, the grocery stores, Walgreen's, CVC's, the malls and all the local small businesses. Although Spanish is the primary language spoken in every one of these businesses, SOMEONE always understands English.

Gardening is a delight. Shrubs bloom and fruit here that do not in other climate zones. A flock of noisy parrots may fly by in the afternoon. Our rv has a furnace but we've never used it. We use the park's pool and hot tub nearly every day of the year.

There is no VA hospital here despite thousands of veterans. The VA Outpatient Clinic in Harlingen is better than you might think. Dental care in Mexico can be very good at about a fourth of the U.S. price.

I doubt we could live as well anywhere else.

Jim

ps: I'm not discounting the horror stories, but I believe much of the problem is not taking the time to understand the local culture and working with it, not against it.
joe sierra

Harlingen, TX

#23 Mar 14, 2011
sandra wrote:
i dont think so we used to leave down there born and race. i think brownsville its a bad idea. bad school bornig place etc. we moved from there for those reasones,. now we leave in kyle tx. next to san marcos this is a great place to race your kids great schools great people .... if i were u i would not do that mistake sorry to say that but its true. The only thing i miss from brownsville is fam, food and the beach. well i guess this is it like i said its my own opinion. good bye and i hope u dont do that mitake chow!!!!!!

Are u serious? Ive lived here almost all my life and it is a nice place to live and what is up with you putting "race" instead of raise is that suppose to be a joke or are you a racist? Almost all of our schools have been recognized by the state.
roger

United States

#24 Jun 21, 2011
jeezz u guys are real downers. you dont know what hell on earth is until youve lived in yuma az. if the heat in the summer dosent get you. the rude snowbirds who overtake yuma in winter will! the canadians are the worst. i hate snowbirds. thats why im leaving az. im going to check out brownsville for myself. if you can survive yuma. you can make it anywhere!
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#25 Jul 5, 2011
King5114 wrote:
Can anyone who lives in Brownsvile,Texas please tell me about how much it cost to live there. My brother and I are moving to Brownsville becasue of the cold winters in Ohio are too much for us anymore. We both have had Open Heart Surgery and I also have had back surgey and the cold is too much. I hurt all the time from the begining to end of winter.
We have an income of $3,000 between the two of us, that is bring home $3,000 a month. Looking to live in a 55 plus community in a mobile home if we can find a place. If not, then an apartment on the bottom floor, no steps please.
Nothing fancy, but nothing in a run down place either. Any information would be of great help.I realize some may see this and think we are gay, but no we are brother with a family history of heart problems. Together we can afford more than on our own.
God Bless:
Gary and Ken
You must speak Spanish, have and use Pesos for exchange, and be prepared to spend weekends as a volunteer Border Patrol auxillary agent.
princess

United States

#26 Aug 30, 2011
You guys are such hateful bitches! I was raised in Brownsville and it is one of the nicest places to live: great schools, friendly people and lots to do. And fyi just bc you hear ppl talking spanish doesn't mean they don't speak english as well!

I live in abilene tx now and THIS is on of the worst places to live in tx!
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#27 Sep 1, 2011
princess wrote:
You guys are such hateful bitches! I was raised in Brownsville and it is one of the nicest places to live: great schools, friendly people and lots to do. And fyi just bc you hear ppl talking spanish doesn't mean they don't speak english as well!

I live in abilene tx now and THIS is on of the worst places to live in tx!
Everyone knows that Abilene is real crap.
sscrubb

Fairfield, CA

#28 Feb 21, 2012
OMG! I hope you did not move to Brownsville.. it's disgusting. Lived there for 12 years and I'm glad I'm finally gone and now in NorCal (where I first started). The water is gross, the people there are really rude and a waste of space, and to get a job there is ridiculous. It's more of a who knows who bases, or else you would not make it. The friendliest people I've meet there are probably people who aren't from there. About everyone there takes advantage of the government and feed off of food stamps and housing. I think everyday about 30+ teens become pregnant and it's a never ending cycle. Yuck! Hated it, hated it, HATED IT! also, UTB/TSC is dead stupid.
TexasGirl

United States

#29 Mar 7, 2012
TexasGrandma wrote:
This is a beautiful warm place to live - sorry most of the rude people are those from up north who come here and this isn't Kansas. Its NOT that expensive, people are warm and friendly and there is no rat race....biggest problem is traffic in Brownsville, but if you are retired, you can travel around at convenient hours. Rarely does it freeze, the plants are beautiful, lots of wildlife, you can't go wrong.....just don't try to change us to your ways, just enjoy ours!!
. yes!!! You ARE right!Anyone who don't like it can leave.We have our own ways and culture and no one will come and change that.This IS a beautiful place and nice.

Since: Apr 12

Lithonia, GA

#30 Apr 1, 2012
I hate it period!after being born and raised in alabama and movin' here bout year and half ago has been nothin' but hell and I agree with sscrubb
Ashley A

Waterville, NY

#31 Apr 7, 2012
Hello. I was wondering how Brownsville's winters? I have a Lot of friends down there saying it's an amazing place!? I live in the North and I hate these 12 below winters! How bad is the humidity? How warm does it get? Could you get randomly hurt? What is the best school to go to? I have already found a nice house for atleast 115,900$. Would it be safe walking around? How are they neighbors? How are jobs. I'm trying go convince my mum to let us all live there, how do I convince her?
streetrunner

United States

#32 May 24, 2012
Brownsville
streetrunner

United States

#33 May 24, 2012
I would move to brownsville if I were you ... They have a.nice beach, excellent reaturants, friendly people and good real estate deals. The taxes are little high but you get a nice house or condo at a good price
Wayne

Prince Albert, Canada

#34 Jul 23, 2013
I have a place for sale at Riverbend Resort just west of Brownsville it is a gated community, very nice this is a park model 400 sq. ft . With an attached
Texas room and a shed its on the fifteenth hole of the golf course.
It's fairly new and completely furnished with a washer and dryer. We are
Open to offers
Email wcstewart@sasktel.net
Meme

Miami, FL

#35 Feb 7, 2014
Brownsville is a grate place to be I think that it's not the place that is bad it's mostly the way you see things. If you are happy with who you are and what you have accomplish in life,
You can be happy anywhere.
Human Debasement Team IV

San Antonio, TX

#36 Feb 9, 2014
Electric & other utility bills in Brownsville are some of the highest in the state. Corruption by government officials seems very high as well or these officials are getting burned by other cronies as they fight for a bigger piece of territory.
hannah

Herndon, VA

#38 May 9, 2014
Can anybody tell me about the high schools in Brownville? We are planning to move over there
Paco Pinto

San Antonio, TX

#39 May 10, 2014
hannah wrote:
Can anybody tell me about the high schools in Brownville? We are planning to move over there
If illiteracy is the goal, then you just hit the jackpot.
Truth 101

Hampton, GA

#40 Jul 9, 2014
FYI: there are no bookstores in Brownsville, let that say it all.
melodyrueda

Charlotte, NC

#41 Nov 14, 2014
Ranger Garcia wrote:
<quoted text>
You are telling it like it is, before you move check everything out very carefully, then don't! I lived there for years my self and I couldn't wait to get out of that HELL HOLE! Rude people are not the word for it, try the "moron's from hell". If they like it so much why are they selling, to go home, thats why. That is if they even bother telling you the truth. I found that central Florida, New Port Richey area is much much better and I originally from KY and have family in middle TN myself, you better listen to the voice of reason and experience.
I think all of you are MISS READING this post!!!! There NOT looking for a school, they have no kids??? There brothers looking for a cheap little place TO RENT, cause of their health issues???? I'm so confused by all of you guys answers cause NONE OF THE APPLY?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brownsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Attorneys move to dismiss Traci Rhode case: Loc... (Apr '07) Jan 30 lllllllllllllllll... 63
moving to Brownsville (Oct '12) Jan 29 Driller 8
Important Bulletin: Jan '18 Dahrma 1
have u seen lupita gamez she went to porter hig... (Jun '10) Dec '17 jazz 4
News Border patrol confirms TX agent hit by bullet f... Dec '17 tronic 1
News Comedy Central Comic 'Roast' Demands Open Borders Nov '17 Prophet Meowmed 2
News An American flag flies over the international b... Oct '17 Richie 2

Brownsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brownsville Mortgages