Moving to Brownsville Texas

Posted in the Brownsville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
King5114

Canal Fulton, OH

#1 Dec 15, 2008
Can anyone who lives in Brownsvile,Texas please tell me about how much it cost to live there. My brother and I are moving to Brownsville becasue of the cold winters in Ohio are too much for us anymore. We both have had Open Heart Surgery and I also have had back surgey and the cold is too much. I hurt all the time from the begining to end of winter.
We have an income of $3,000 between the two of us, that is bring home $3,000 a month. Looking to live in a 55 plus community in a mobile home if we can find a place. If not, then an apartment on the bottom floor, no steps please.
Nothing fancy, but nothing in a run down place either. Any information would be of great help.I realize some may see this and think we are gay, but no we are brother with a family history of heart problems. Together we can afford more than on our own.
God Bless:
Gary and Ken
Sug

Rio Grande City, TX

#2 Dec 15, 2008
three thousand a month is more than enough, i think. 500 a month will get you a decent apartment.
Vanessa Vidos

AOL

#3 Jan 9, 2009
There is a little place here called Winter Haven, as far as the cost I am not sure, but it is inhabited by Winter Texans. I believe Brownsville is quite an inexpensive place to live.
The average two bdrm is about 530 monthly.
alana

Sun City, FL

#4 Feb 3, 2009
It will cost you your sanity!!!!! They do not realize they belong to the USA.
sandra

Austin, TX

#5 Feb 5, 2009
i dont think so we used to leave down there born and race. i think brownsville its a bad idea. bad school bornig place etc. we moved from there for those reasones,. now we leave in kyle tx. next to san marcos this is a great place to race your kids great schools great people .... if i were u i would not do that mistake sorry to say that but its true. The only thing i miss from brownsville is fam, food and the beach. well i guess this is it like i said its my own opinion. good bye and i hope u dont do that mitake chow!!!!!!
Alana

Sun City, FL

#6 Feb 6, 2009
My husband and I moved from New Port Richey, FL to Brownsville. We hated it! The summmers are hot, humid and dusty. The winters are ok except for the wind that blows out of the west. They can be of hurricane proportions. I really don't think that you are going to enjoy it there. We stayed about 18 months, sold and came back to FL. Try the west coast of FL before you move anywhere. New Port Richey is close to two VA hospitals and the VA clinic is 10 minutes up the road. If you are a vet there are clinics down in Brownsville, but the closest hospital is in San Antonio, over 5 hours away. Maybe try staying for a summer and a winter before you commit to the move. We also have a meager income on Social Security and we just fine in NPR, FL. We even bought a foreclosure and you can get a foreclosure in a decent neighborhood for you $500 or $600 a month. If you want more information feel free to e-mail me at retired50@verizon.net and I will be glad to give you more i nfo on either location. But, up front I have nothing good to say about the Texas Valley!
Marie

Memphis, TN

#7 Feb 24, 2009
BEAUTIFUL SOUTH TEXAS RESORT HOME!

River Bend Resort is a safe gated community for ages 55+ in Brownsville, TX, right on the Rio Grande River just north of the Mexican border. See the resort's website here: http://www.riverbendresort.us/ , and call office for our contact numbers.
The house is in like-new condition ~ built in 2002. The former owner worked many hours and travelled frequently, so he was rarely home and took fantastic care of this property!
It's a CHEERFUL and RELAXING home on waterfront property in a desirable and SUNNY golfing community. Cruise around in the sunshine on your golfcart, swim under the palm trees, or participate in the many resort activities listed on the resort's calendar. It's an deal spot for fishermen, golfers, and beach lovers. It's close enough to the beach but far enough away to escape the busyness of Padre Island.
There is a very low cost of living in the Brownsville area! Taxes in 2008 were $2,694.
3 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms, large airy kitchen with oak cabinets & appliances only used a few times, large pantry, spacious living room and dining area, high ceilings, and many ceiling fans
Open Floor Plan with rear covered porch facing waterfront
Large Master Bdrm.& Bath with jacuzzi tub
All furniture & appliances stay
Several upgrades, including reinforcement along resaca (waterfront) behind house, security sytem, underground sprinkler system, new garage door and painted garage floor, freshly painted interior
Approx. 1,508 SQ. FT. living space tiled in high traffic areas of kitchen, living room, hallways, and bathrooms but carpeted in the bedrooms
18-hole (par 72 golf course at resort) & home has own small garage door for a personal golf cart
Pool and hot tub at the clubhouse along with many other regularly planned resort activities listed on schedule at www.riverbendresort.us/
Resort tennis courts and orange/grapefruit grove for picking
11,000 sq. ft. Clubhouse with fully equiped kitchen, laundry, shower, shuffleboard, horseshoe pits, barbecue facilities & picnic area, game room, library, satellite TV, night time security, and boat launch to the Rio Grande River.
Home sits on very peaceful cul-de-sac
A snowbird's paradise on earth! Live out your retirement dream in peace!
Ranger Garcia

Sun City, FL

#8 Feb 24, 2009
He's telling you what property taxes are...Now ask him what the school taxes are...They are about the same as property taxes.
If you find that hard to believe call the county clerk or better yet check out Brownsville Property Appraiser web site and the Brownsville School tax web site.
Texas is one of the most expensive places to live...tax wise. Other wise the costs are lower than the national average.
art

United States

#9 May 15, 2009
the taxes would include school taxes in that amount at riverbend. A nice home at one of the other golf course would run around $100 to $125,000 plus fees of around $100 a month. Summers are hot but you have air conditioning just as you have furnaces up north. The cost of living is less than most places especially vegetables and fruit.
no es buen lugar

Mcminnville, TN

#10 May 20, 2009
i lived there for 2 years in 1996 to 1998..being from tennessee, i found it to be the most expensive place i had ever been.. we were going to buy a house and stay there, because of the weather.. first week we were there, got our car stolen from the driveway..looked at a 95 thousand dollar home, real estate taxes were over 4 thousand a year.. property taxes and insurance on vehicles and homes, twice as high as here..the house the company rented for us ran around 1200 a month, and was nothing extra..nope!! i will take middle tennessee any time over that mess with all the rude people.. like the other poster said, it will cost you your sanity..
Ranger Garcia

Sun City, FL

#11 May 22, 2009
art wrote:
the taxes would include school taxes in that amount at riverbend. A nice home at one of the other golf course would run around $100 to $125,000 plus fees of around $100 a month. Summers are hot but you have air conditioning just as you have furnaces up north. The cost of living is less than most places especially vegetables and fruit.
Thats all BS!!! Before you decide to buy or move do a complete check for yourself. Call Cameron County and ask about property taxes and school taxes. This person is just looking to unload their expense onto some unsuspecting sucker!
Ranger Garcia

Sun City, FL

#12 May 22, 2009
no es buen lugar wrote:
i lived there for 2 years in 1996 to 1998..being from tennessee, i found it to be the most expensive place i had ever been.. we were going to buy a house and stay there, because of the weather.. first week we were there, got our car stolen from the driveway..looked at a 95 thousand dollar home, real estate taxes were over 4 thousand a year.. property taxes and insurance on vehicles and homes, twice as high as here..the house the company rented for us ran around 1200 a month, and was nothing extra..nope!! i will take middle tennessee any time over that mess with all the rude people.. like the other poster said, it will cost you your sanity..
You are telling it like it is, before you move check everything out very carefully, then don't! I lived there for years my self and I couldn't wait to get out of that HELL HOLE! Rude people are not the word for it, try the "moron's from hell". If they like it so much why are they selling, to go home, thats why. That is if they even bother telling you the truth. I found that central Florida, New Port Richey area is much much better and I originally from KY and have family in middle TN myself, you better listen to the voice of reason and experience.
no es buen lugar

Mcminnville, TN

#13 May 22, 2009
i like the new port richey and hudson florida areas.. my brother in law has lived there for nearly 30 years.. i like going to visit for sure..trust me , he wouldnt stay there if it cost too much to live there..my house in tennessee is over 2700 square feet.. last time appraised, it appraised for 188 thousand, the property taxes here for both county and city are in the 900 dollar range, not 2800 to 4000...no extra school taxes, etc...no state income tax, and not in a bustling city like brownsville of over 100000 people, and many of them cant even speak english...and if you want a job, forget it, unless you speak both languages, your chances are slim..

brownsville is no place for this ole boy..before deciding on buying, you need to check with everyone there that sets the tax base for that county and city..
Ranger Garcia

Sun City, FL

#14 May 23, 2009
no es buen lugar wrote:
i like the new port richey and hudson florida areas.. my brother in law has lived there for nearly 30 years.. i like going to visit for sure..trust me , he wouldnt stay there if it cost too much to live there..my house in tennessee is over 2700 square feet.. last time appraised, it appraised for 188 thousand, the property taxes here for both county and city are in the 900 dollar range, not 2800 to 4000...no extra school taxes, etc...no state income tax, and not in a bustling city like brownsville of over 100000 people, and many of them cant even speak english...and if you want a job, forget it, unless you speak both languages, your chances are slim..
brownsville is no place for this ole boy..before deciding on buying, you need to check with everyone there that sets the tax base for that county and city..
Truer words were never spoken!
George

United States

#15 Oct 16, 2009
Hi guys I'm moving to brownsville Texas and I need you opinion about jobs I'm an air conditioning technician and here in Florida pay good around 20 an hour but, it's the same over there? Also I have experience in ice machines ! Is good bussines ice machines in the area ?,please someone can give a clue about jobs thanks guys
Shalon

Atlanta, GA

#16 Oct 26, 2009
sandra wrote:
i dont think so we used to leave down there born and race. i think brownsville its a bad idea. bad school bornig place etc. we moved from there for those reasones,. now we leave in kyle tx. next to san marcos this is a great place to race your kids great schools great people .... if i were u i would not do that mistake sorry to say that but its true. The only thing i miss from brownsville is fam, food and the beach. well i guess this is it like i said its my own opinion. good bye and i hope u dont do that mitake chow!!!!!!
You did us a be favor we don't need dirty people like you guys.
Shalon

Atlanta, GA

#17 Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for moving out. We don't need dirty people like you guy's and you sure know who this is.
Chris

Harlingen, TX

#18 Feb 13, 2010
I've lived in the Valley all my life and just recently moved to the asshole of it (Brownsville). You should move to a nicer town like McAllen. In Brownsville everyone just assumes you speak spanish. The people are generally RUDE. The only thing it has going for it are all the dumb sluts and how close it is to the beach. I plan on leaving soon.
TexasGrandma

Mcallen, TX

#19 Mar 23, 2010
This is a beautiful warm place to live - sorry most of the rude people are those from up north who come here and this isn't Kansas. Its NOT that expensive, people are warm and friendly and there is no rat race....biggest problem is traffic in Brownsville, but if you are retired, you can travel around at convenient hours. Rarely does it freeze, the plants are beautiful, lots of wildlife, you can't go wrong.....just don't try to change us to your ways, just enjoy ours!!
Caffeinated

Elk Grove Village, IL

#20 Mar 26, 2010
King5114 wrote:
Can anyone who lives in Brownsvile,Texas please tell me about how much it cost to live there. My brother and I are moving to Brownsville becasue of the cold winters in Ohio are too much for us anymore. We both have had Open Heart Surgery and I also have had back surgey and the cold is too much. I hurt all the time from the begining to end of winter.
We have an income of $3,000 between the two of us, that is bring home $3,000 a month. Looking to live in a 55 plus community in a mobile home if we can find a place. If not, then an apartment on the bottom floor, no steps please.
Nothing fancy, but nothing in a run down place either. Any information would be of great help.I realize some may see this and think we are gay, but no we are brother with a family history of heart problems. Together we can afford more than on our own.
God Bless:
Gary and Ken
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I must agree with many people here. Do NOT move to Brownsville. The crime rate is not good. There are many lovely places for you to live in the United States. This isn't one of them.

I would also avoid disclosing your personal information on line....income, health issues etc... I would like to think that most people are good, but the truth is that there are people out there who will try and take advantage of you...or worse.

Do NOT....and I mean do NOT contact ANYONE personally that you have met on a forum....no matter how well meaning that they seem.

I would hate to see you robbed, beaten...or worse.

If you are looking for real estate, contact a credible realtor in the phone book. The book store, like Borders....sells retirement magazines that will give you good insight on locations.

Best of luck to you. I wish you well.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brownsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 16 hr Fartman 904
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jul 1 Farters 742
Swingers Jun 30 Stxfuncouple 1
Any DTF girls out there ? (Aug '12) Jun 9 Thatcucci 7
News Will amnesty survive the full 5th Circuit Court... May '15 wild child 2
News Tracy Rhode faints after guilty verdict is read (May '08) May '15 Rod 35
News Joe Lopez of Grupo Mazz found guilty on 3 counts (Oct '06) May '15 leeray68 6,469
More from around the web

Brownsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Brownsville Mortgages