Tracie Lambert-Fonville

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Jul 1, 2009
When I see pictures of Brownsville it makes me think of being a kid there.
Beth Tracy

Painesville, OH

#2 Jul 30, 2009
I have so many fond memories of growing up and living in Brownsville. I lived on Sheridan Ave. then Water Street.
I have not been back for 2 yrs now. It is so sad to see what has become of Brownsville. As a kid growing up there was a skating rink, several movie theaters, Isalys, etc. I wish someone would revitalize it.
Everyone knew your neighbors and when you went to town you always saw someone you knew. Those were truly the good times in life.
harry

Birmingham, AL

#3 Aug 8, 2009
Who remembers the swarms of gnats that seemed to hover at head height above the sidewalks in the steamy summer air of Dog Days and the smell of the Monongahela River in the quiet of dusk?

Who remembers the October fogs trapped in the valley? Warm steaming vapor from the Mon held down by cold clear air above? Summertime and the livin' is easy, playing on a radio as the last red hues darken away?

The word smog was born in that valley at Donora in 1948. Do you remember the smells in that warm fog?

Do you remember fog so dense that cars had to be led out of the valley by a person walking ahead of the auto?
harry

Spring Hill, FL

#4 Aug 28, 2009
Comment below to the story today in the Herald Standard. re: Liggett lawsuit. To recap. Somebody tied a chain to the back wall of a derelict bldg to a train parked behind the bldgs on Market St. AS the train moved, it pulled down the backwall.
==========
Liggett has a short ledge to stand for most of his positions, but he may have something here. I have visited Brownsville almost every year preparing the history of the settlement. Everytime I am there I see a train one mile long parked on those tracks for hours. I never saw them move from the parked position.

Certain boosters think that Brownsville has a riverfront that may be exploitable in the future, but what actually exists is two railroad tracks with a train parked on one of them and a 24 foot wide tunnel with a very steep incline to the water.
Ron

AOL

#5 Nov 6, 2009
I remember going there too with my parents and eating at Fiddles, buying things from the outside news stand and going too all the stores on the main street of Brownsville. It was a thriving city then.
Cynthia Smith

Rock Hill, SC

#6 Feb 14, 2010
Thanks for the pictures. They bring back happy memories for me too. I lived on Water Street and walked to town with my best friend several times a day during the summer. I remember all of the lovely buildings that housed the stores. It is such a shame that they were not taken care of and are sll disappearing. I miss the way things were back then.
phyllis

Inverness, FL

#7 Mar 31, 2010
I also grew up on 2nd street in the 1400 block. There is nothing like the good old days and all the respect and love of friends, neighbors and strangers. You could walk the streets at night and no one ever bothered you. The children of today should have the experience we had growing up in Brownsville.
Beth Tracy wrote:
I have so many fond memories of growing up and living in Brownsville. I lived on Sheridan Ave. then Water Street.
I have not been back for 2 yrs now. It is so sad to see what has become of Brownsville. As a kid growing up there was a skating rink, several movie theaters, Isalys, etc. I wish someone would revitalize it.
Everyone knew your neighbors and when you went to town you always saw someone you knew. Those were truly the good times in life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brownsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
newell post office Aug 15 Jack 1
Police Still At It Aug 3 American 1
Angela frye Jul 27 Randy 1
News Police: Rostraver convenience store robbers are... Apr '16 Sadieh 1
TP To Close (Feb '16) Feb '16 MeMe 1
News The Hot Dog Place Under the Bridge in Brownsville (Jan '14) Dec '15 Nick M 5
Talent Show (Nov '15) Dec '15 Tom Horwatt 2

Brownsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brownsville Mortgages