Dogs killed in drug raid

Dogs killed in drug raid

There are 6 comments on the Daily Camera story from Aug 14, 2008, titled Dogs killed in drug raid. In it, Daily Camera reports that:

A Westminster SWAT team shot and killed two dogs during a Tuesday evening drug raid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Camera.

BradleyD

Broomfield, CO

#1 Aug 20, 2008
I am a former resident of the home in question and was present when the unidentified dog was purchased. The dog was a 35 pound beagle mix and his name was Jake. He was not by any stretch of the imagination an "attack" dog and he was shot by the SWAT officers a total of 7 times in the corner of the house between the garage door and the bathroom door. All 7 shots were directed downward into the corner where Jake was huddled in fear. He was likely not identified because there was not much left of him after the 7 shot from an assault rifle did their work.

The other dog was correctly identified as a pit bull. His name was Zeus. Zeus was shot more times than Jake was and all shots fired at him were in a spray pattern leading AWAY from the front door point of entry for the SWAT team. The SWAT team fired at least 4 more shots at Zeus as he was crawling toward his owner no longer having the ability to use his hind legs and likely bleeding to death already from the first 4 bullets he was struck by.

The SWAT officers fired approx 22 shots in the home all directed at the two dogs. Does this sound like they were being attacked? No, they were fleeing the officers in the direction of the back door of the home. 22 shots at a 35 pound beagle and a 70 pound pitbull in a residential neighborhood in the middle of the evening.

The fact that they would even insinuate they have officers trained in handling dogs in situations is absurd. Who in their right mind would believe that the officers had no option but to shoot a beagle 7 times? With the high powered assault rifles carried by the SWAT officers would have cut Jake in two the instant the first round hit him. Zeus is a much larger and stronger dog and he carries the burden of being a gentle giant of a species with a large stigma associated with it. He was in no way an attack dog. He was always out running around at our annual BBQs playing with the other dogs of ours. He was at the off leash park on Sims all the time and did nothing but run and play with the other dogs there as well.

All I can say is that this is an absolute tradegy. I am glad I wasn't there with my 40 pound "attack" border collie or my wife's 15 pound "attack" Peek-a-Poo lest our dogs would no longer be with us as well.

I am in no way an anti police advocate, to the contrary I know many officers from past friendships, hockey teams, and through mutual friends. I do, however, feel that this was one of the worst displays of police investigation I have ever heard of. The original information the policeused in attaining the No Knock warrant included heroin, methamphetamines, firearms, large amounts or money, and approx 100 marijuana plants. Where this information came from is anyone's guess and it is very obvious that there was no verification of evidence by any of the detectives assigned to this case. The only thing found in this raid was 10 marijuana plants. There were no other drugs, cash, or firearms found beacuse they were never there to begin with.

My congratulations to the Westminster Police Dept and their SWAT officers...you took a harmless marijuana smoker with no criminal record off the streets. Or did you?

The policeare so afraid of what will happen do to their complete lack of any investigation, discretion, or general use of intelligence that they have dropped all charges and are keeping very quiet as to seem less like the total jackasses they were that evening.

Tell that to Jake, Zeus, and any neighbor in the area who has a child that was playing in the backyard when the Westminster SWAT team decided 22 shots from assault rifles was needed to subdue a beagle.

Kudos!
Anonymous

Longmont, CO

#2 Aug 22, 2008
This is a complete outrage. It is hard to believe that the 22 bullets were pumped out of assualt rifes because the SWAT officers were concerned for their own safety. Pitbull or not, any person who has been or is employed with any kind of pubilc safety deparment should have SUPERB training in how to handle dogs, or any kind of animal. And after all the damage and all that hurt that the local government has caused to these people and those INNOCENT animals... I hope they live with guilt in their hearts and frowns on their faces for the mistake they have made. This situation should have been handled completely different and the dogs should have been removed for the house the moment they walked in the door. And if those assholes would have cared half as much about those dogs as they do about themselves, this could have been very easily avoided. I hope the people in charge of this investigation and the people involved in the raid rot in hell. And so help them god because they killed two innocent animals that could have easily been their own. Shame on the Westminster SWAT team.
talllrider

United States

#3 Aug 29, 2008
First things first, I wanted to let you know what really happened at the scene because your report is not correct at all! This came from the so called "suspects" mouth that was the only one there except our lying, murdering, cover-up artist police department. The police kicked in the door to the house, my friend was coming up the stairs trying to figure out what was going on, "not running away" like the supposed report said. The two dogs that were shot named "Jake" a beagle that weighed around 27 lbs., and "Zeus" who yes, is a pit who was raised around a child from birth and I would trust around my two and a half old daughter, were barking at the officers as they barged into the house! DOGS BARK!! That's what they do, especially when strangers that dogs don't know enter there domain! The officers shot Zeus and he fell to the floor crawling to his owner but before he could get to his owner his head was blown off right in front of his owner! Then the guns were turned toward Jake who now with all of the shots fired was cowering in the corner of the room. The officer's shot him as well! Both of the dogs were loving, active dogs that were their owners "best friends" and known around the neighborhood as good dogs. The police get my friend into custody "with no confrontation or resist" and cannot explain to him why they shot his best friend? He is taken to the station for questioning while the police search the house for drugs. They find some pipes and a small amount of marijuana but nothing more! No charges filed that can stick, a small amount of marijuana was found but nothing else that would be considered incriminating was found in the home! No gun's or money, like the warrant said there was gonna be, and they use this force? My friend is released and now has to deal with cleaning up his house, DEALING WITH THE DEATH OF HIS BEST FRIEND and paying for the cost of cleaning up where the murders of his dogs had taken place, not to mention all of the bullet holes in the walls and floors of the home! I think this is bullshit! When is excessive force too much force??????????

When do the police cross the line?

Did the police know that there were children playing in the green belt behind the house? If one of those kids were hit, what would the cops say then? "There was a gun battle but they got the bad guy" and the parents of the children that were killed just have to deal with it? Bullshit it would probably be another cover up again because they new they messed up!

So again when is excessive force too much force? That should be your real story!

Not trying to place blame on you for doing the reporting, just trying to set the record straight!
Realistic

Westminster, CO

#4 Jan 7, 2009
It is unfortunate that what you heard, "from the horses mouth," is so inaccurate. The public deserves a fair representation from what truly occured, and what "Tallrider" has listed is grossly incorrect. Your description of the cops blowing the dogs heads off is kind of like the movies, that's not what really happens. This is an example of what the police released, what the media prints, and what you think occured gets drastically changed, and the public makes a decision all the while being mis-informed. Check your facts, a pipe and baggie????????? Not even close.
Tim

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Jan 20, 2009
The Westminster Police engage in this unlawful type of behavior due to their former chief of police, Dan Montgomery. He stay at chief of police far exceeded the normal tenure for such a position. He fostered and allowed for this type of conduct to flourish and remain within the ranks. Unfortunately, such narfious behavior continues tooday under the current administration. Only when such officers are summoned to answer for this type of tortious practice before a jury will it cease.
EDWARD

Sonora, CA

#6 Feb 8, 2009
This is a COMPLETLY pathetic law enforcment department, I hope they are held accountable, from the top down. Truly out of line. This makes me sick........... rotten bast*****

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broomfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Edgewater to host Jefferson County's first recr... (Feb '14) 1 hr Tn Treetop Daddy 2
News Old evidence at new trial (May '06) Aug 20 DAD 1,126
News Boulder to celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day on... Aug 4 In the bubble 2
News Local restaurant chain closes after CEO's arrest (Jul '10) Jul '16 bbm181 31
Michael D. Brown, Attorney in Arvada, CO Jul '16 unhappy camper 1
News Broomfield teacher testifies in his defense dur... Jul '16 irahs 1
Kids Just Want To Have Fun Jun '16 Hmm 1

Broomfield Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Broomfield Mortgages