Local Best Buy employees try to catch...

Local Best Buy employees try to catch shoplifter, lose their jobs

There are 63 comments on the Fox 31 KDVR story from Aug 18, 2009, titled Local Best Buy employees try to catch shoplifter, lose their jobs. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

The crime scene at Best Buy in Broomfield, Colo. BROOMFIELD, Colo. - Jared Bergstreser and Colin Trapp lost their income and lost their jobs, but to hear them tell it, they wouldn't change a thing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
SimpleMan

United States

#1 Aug 18, 2009
What a bunch of corporate pu##ies! You have two employees that risk their lives to save company property and you fire them for it. What a sad day in America….good guys loose, bad guy win. Looks like I need to find another place to shop.
fubar

Denver, CO

#2 Aug 18, 2009
anyone want to go get some free stuff at bestbuy, i had heard this was true. im sure best buy is glad this is in the news
DST

Fort Collins, CO

#3 Aug 18, 2009
Sounds like a great place to shop! Make it out the front door and it's yours!!
Dan

Aurora, CO

#4 Aug 18, 2009
If they are going to tackle me in a parking lot because they think I shoplifted. They better be positive that I did the crime.
bgR3

Pine, CO

#5 Aug 18, 2009
GREAT! Now all the shoplifters know where to go. What an excellent policy. I FEEL SORRY FOR THOSE POOR GUYS WHO LOST THEIR JOBS. THERE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING AND GET IN TROUBLE FOR TRYING TO STOP SOMEONE FROM STEALING.
Bob

Las Vegas, NV

#6 Aug 18, 2009
Arm them with guns and shoot the perps. Who needs that trash around anyway.
Vee

Aurora, CO

#7 Aug 18, 2009
Best Buy, you just let anyone who steals where to go and what to do....GOOD ONE!
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#8 Aug 18, 2009
What gutless cowards run Best Buy? Instead of talking a hard stance against crime and corrupt liberal democrat judges, and supporting your employees who were protecting your property, you chose instead to bend over for the punk on the street and fire the very employees you hired to protect your property from the punk on the street in the first place. You can't be a much bigger spineless coward than that.

You gutless liberals make me sick. You have a No-Touch policy for shoplifters who make it out the door, the liberal-run public school system in many places have a N0-Touch policy between boys and girls, that is boyfriends and girlfriends, yet, it is okay for two queers, be it two males or two females to walk down the aisle or walk down a sidewalk, in public, and with the state's blessing, and apparently yours! I bet you would not object to homosexuals walking through your stores, holding hands and kissing. Yet you keep your "loss prevention" people from preventing a loss! How twisted is that? How completely devoid of any rational thought is that? Not to mention moral turpitude. But then this is what you gutless, spineless liberals are all about.

I was at your Best Buy store in Aurora yesterday. I almost bought a computer. I went to the MicroCenter, another merchant, to see what they had to offer. I decided to purchase the computer I was eyeing at your store. That was until I read this story. You have lost a customer for life and I will encourage as many others as possible to do the same.
Nancy from Denver

Denver, CO

#9 Aug 18, 2009
Best Buy needs to give them a raise instead of fire them.
Willie Scott

Savannah, GA

#10 Aug 18, 2009
Here's my comment if the the policy states a no touch policy then why isn't the manager being fired as well. This proves that Best Buy policies have double standards that borderlines discrimination. The worker is expendable but the manager is not. That's total BS and only a fool would think differently.
Batman

Denver, CO

#11 Aug 18, 2009
Great job to the two fine young men that have some stones. If we had a few more MEN like Bergsteser and Trapp, this world would be a safer place. Stand up for what is right. Do not fire them. Give them a pay increase.
JEH

Harmony, NC

#12 Aug 18, 2009
What a joke Best Buy you've got some real heroes working for you trying to do what is right for Best Buy and all the customers and you fire them!!! I'm sure you don't have a problem passing the cost of the shoplifting the maggots got away with to the rest of us do you? Guess I'll shop some where else where they give a damn about keeping the price down for the honest customer!!!!!
Batman

Denver, CO

#13 Aug 18, 2009
Hey Politically Incorrect Post. What a great post you hit it right on the head. Keep up the great postings.
Batman

Denver, CO

#14 Aug 18, 2009
What is so special our elected office thinks they can keep taking as well.
Willie Scott

Savannah, GA

#15 Aug 18, 2009
Politically Incorrect wrote:
What gutless cowards run Best Buy? Instead of talking a hard stance against crime and corrupt liberal democrat judges, and supporting your employees who were protecting your property, you chose instead to bend over for the punk on the street and fire the very employees you hired to protect your property from the punk on the street in the first place. You can't be a much bigger spineless coward than that.
You gutless liberals make me sick. You have a No-Touch policy for shoplifters who make it out the door, the liberal-run public school system in many places have a N0-Touch policy between boys and girls, that is boyfriends and girlfriends, yet, it is okay for two ****, be it two males or two females to walk down the aisle or walk down a sidewalk, in public, and with the state's blessing, and apparently yours! I bet you would not object to homosexuals walking through your stores, holding hands and kissing. Yet you keep your "loss prevention" people from preventing a loss! How twisted is that? How completely devoid of any rational thought is that? Not to mention moral turpitude. But then this is what you gutless, spineless liberals are all about.
I was at your Best Buy store in Aurora yesterday. I almost bought a computer. I went to the MicroCenter, another merchant, to see what they had to offer. I decided to purchase the computer I was eyeing at your store. That was until I read this story. You have lost a customer for life and I will encourage as many others as possible to do the same.
If you think that's something, wait until you here my story. As of today I am on suspension from Best Buy because I tried to follow a manager's instructions on preventing a shoplifter from leaving the store by turning the power off on the doors. When I was unable to comply with the manager's instructions, I did what we have always done since I've been employed there. And that is stand in front of the door to attempt to stop the shoplifter from leaving. However; I was well aware of the touch rule and me standing in front of the door was an attempt to talk with the shoplifter without in confrontation. But when the shoplifter saw me standing in front of the door; the suspect ran directly towards me and hit me with his fists and elbows in my chest and under my chin. The shoplifter engaged me first. So when I grab the guy in self defense only, I'm suspended. The manager that told me to turn the power off on the doors had the to ask me did I ask the guy for a receipt and that I was wrong and that I didn't follow procedure. But when I stated to the manager to show me where it indicates that turning off the power is apart of procedure. There were four witnesses that step forward and stated that I was only defending myself from the shoplifter who attacked me first so that he could get away. It's been over a month and I have not been told if I'm still employed or fired. You ask me by doesn't care about it little workers; its obvious my manager isn't on suspension for not following procedure I am.
Bruce

Littleton, CO

#16 Aug 18, 2009
I am done with Best Buy---BOYCOTT
CompuQueen

Littleton, CO

#17 Aug 18, 2009
Best Buy CEO: what are you losers thinking?
Your 2 Broomfield, CO employees are heroes!
Go on local TV and own up to your idiotic blunder.
I hope you didn't take any TARP money, you morons.
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#18 Aug 18, 2009
Willie Scott - Sounds to me like you have a case for your job back with back pay. Don't do like upper management at Best Buy does and grab the ankles for the punk on the street. Stand your ground and fight for what is right: A written and verbal apology from Best Buy Corporate specifying that you were suspended wrongly and presented at your store in front of your fellow employees, and reinstatement at your previous position and wage with feel back pay for wages lost while on suspension.

Get this out into your local media. If there is a FOX News affiliate in your city, contact them and ask them to cover the story. Get them to put it on the airwaves that you need an attorney to represent you, on the house hopefully. Get a map of your city. Locate and mark on the map the closest Best Buy's to yours. Then draw a line roughly halfway between your store and the next nearest stores surrounding it. Get a petition started. Get some friends to help you get names supporting you. It's a lot to do, but then nothing worth it ever came easy. If you back down and just go away, the bast**** will have won. Trust me, Best Buy does not want this publicity. They don't want to be contacted by an attorney representing you. Rather than to fight you on this, and really suffer in the public image, it'll be easier for them to bend over for you. They seem to be getting a lot of practice in that department lately! Good luck kid!!!
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#19 Aug 18, 2009
Sorry for the typo, that was supposed to be "full back pay, not feel back pay...

Listen, you were told to do something by your supervisor. You did it. Then, it sounds like you were chastised for not following procedure, when, apparently, your supervisor was not following procedure. And as for your failure to ask the thieving little liberal obamanite if he had a receipt, well, you didn't get a chance, you were too busy pulling HIS fist out of YOUR face!!!
Politically Incorrect

Denver, CO

#20 Aug 18, 2009
One more thing. The purpose of the map is to identify the households closest to your Best Buy store. Those households will comprise the majority of that store's clientele. Make up a small card with your stores Name, Address, Phone Number, and Manager's Name. Include his supervisors name and phone number, and his supervisor's info as well. Hand this card out to everyone you contact while getting signatures on your petitions and ask them to call your supervisors and demand justice for you. Don't let them get away with this. Go after their balls - nevermind that, they don't have any.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broomfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kids Just Want To Have Fun Jun 17 Hmm 1
Computer Repair and Mac Repair in Arvada Jun 9 brichter3233 2
News Old evidence at new trial (May '06) May '16 Dad 1,122
Private Personal Training at the Westminster Pr... May '16 RiskyBlonde 1
News Boulder, Broomfield counties weigh impact of fr... May '16 CO Honkey 1
Ridge Home Information (Dec '06) Apr '16 paige 60
News Dozens Arrested In Sex Trafficking Crackdown Apr '16 Elise Gingerich 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Broomfield Mortgages