J & J Packaging - Closing Doors

Posted in the Brookville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
gottoknow

Newtown, PA

#1 Jul 29, 2009
Told employees today, they are closing January 1, 2010.
poop

Cleveland, OH

#2 Jul 29, 2009
No they are consolidating everything into the Sunman plant. 90% of the employees will still keep their jobs
Pottsie

Brookville, IN

#3 Jul 29, 2009
many employees may not want to want to make the drive to Sunman, the county will lose all the tax base and Brookville businesses will lose the groceries, hardware and lunches purchased by employees after work and at lunch.
busy body

Brookville, IN

#4 Jul 30, 2009
Wonder why we have a new EDC director and 6 months later there is a factory moving into Connversville and one leaving Brookville? You think since Patterson seems to represent J&J and has been pushing their property so hard to the EDC he could have given them a heads up that J&J was leaving town?
cheesehead

Brookville, IN

#5 Jul 31, 2009
Not too long ago we read it was reported to the EDC by J&J's management that J&J was going strong. Don't know if they happened to mention that they use mostly temporary help to avoid paying benefits. Anyway-- what happened?
gottoknow

Newtown, PA

#6 Jul 31, 2009
busy body wrote:
Wonder why we have a new EDC director and 6 months later there is a factory moving into Connversville and one leaving Brookville? You think since Patterson seems to represent J&J and has been pushing their property so hard to the EDC he could have given them a heads up that J&J was leaving town?
J & J Packaging is not owned by the Franks family and has not been for some time. A company from Germany owns it. EDC is not worried about jobs in Franklin County. Haven't you read the paper? They are more concerned with tourism in Franklin County than job creation. They don't want Franklin County to change!
gottoknow

Newtown, PA

#7 Jul 31, 2009
cheesehead wrote:
Not too long ago we read it was reported to the EDC by J&J's management that J&J was going strong. Don't know if they happened to mention that they use mostly temporary help to avoid paying benefits. Anyway-- what happened?
When was this reported?
gottoknow

Newtown, PA

#8 Jul 31, 2009
Pottsie wrote:
many employees may not want to want to make the drive to Sunman, the county will lose all the tax base and Brookville businesses will lose the groceries, hardware and lunches purchased by employees after work and at lunch.
Exactly - Franklin County will take a huge loss on the tax revenue generated by 350 employees!

Since: Oct 08

United States

#9 Jul 31, 2009
gottoknow wrote:
<quoted text>
J & J Packaging is not owned by the Franks family and has not been for some time. A company from Germany owns it. EDC is not worried about jobs in Franklin County. Haven't you read the paper? They are more concerned with tourism in Franklin County than job creation. They don't want Franklin County to change!
I totally agree, well put! They care more about fried chicken and canoe races than resident's jobs and well-being!
wrong

United States

#10 Jul 31, 2009
EDC has nothing to do with the fried chicken and Canoe races.
DMKfromIN wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree, well put! They care more about fried chicken and canoe races than resident's jobs and well-being!
razorsharp

United States

#11 Jul 31, 2009
cheesehead wrote:
The move to Sunman doesn't necessarily mean they AREN'T "going strong"--just consolidating to streamline and save money. Maybe that's WHY they continue to be "going strong"--because they are managing differently in hard times. If Frankin county wants industry, they'd better figure out how to compete and offer incentives to attract it. Right now, can you name me ONE SINGLE good reason why any industry would locate or stay in Frankin County? Probably not. I wouldn't do it if I was considering it for my operations.
busy body

Brookville, IN

#12 Aug 4, 2009
Most of the employees were temporary help and didn't even live in this county. Did the county give J&J any tax incentives when they moved here? Did it run out?

Since: May 09

Windsor Mill, MD

#13 Aug 4, 2009
Less Mexicans in town then!
cheesehead

Brookville, IN

#14 Aug 4, 2009
veritok wrote:
Less Mexicans in town then!
Too bad there aren't less bigoted, redneck jerks.
jandjcandie

Greenwood, IN

#15 Aug 4, 2009
look people the only reason that j&j is still there is because of one temp service that hires mostly mexicans and screws over real americans trying to support there families. When was the last time a full time employee was hired through cfa a long long time. The balance is a pos factory gone compared to less mexicans i choose less mexicans.
gottoknow

Dubois, IN

#16 Aug 4, 2009
busy body wrote:
Most of the employees were temporary help and didn't even live in this county. Did the county give J&J any tax incentives when they moved here? Did it run out?
Tax incentives ran out a long time ago. J & J has approximately 350 full-time employees. The temporary help that was hired, was on a limited basis for a limited time frame - three to four months. It is hard to find the number of employees that they needed to work for that short period of time.
If the Mexicans who were willing to work for those three months and were legal, then so what. If, however, they were illegal, then the temporary hiring service would be responsible for that. A huge problem was the mandatory drug testing and the number of applicants and employees who would fail.
Buck

Greenville, SC

#17 Aug 5, 2009
I have family there. They always told me that plenty of folks got canned whenever they had the whiz quiz.

So anytime they needed to reduce the workforce they'd do a drug testing.

I hope all these folks find jobs. Franklin County needs to WAKE UP and smell the toast burning before it is too late!
JandJsucks

Grayslake, IL

#18 Aug 7, 2009
I used to work at J&J, and now i work at a packaging company in Cincinnati. I do the exact same job, and make $9 per hour more here that I did at J&J. Its a long drive every day but more than worth it to drive to Cincy. If they offered you a position at the sunman plant i would look around for other jobs before accepting. Trust me there are much better jobs you just have to drive a little.
Work

Britton, MI

#19 Aug 7, 2009
A much better job for $9.00 an hr? What is the price of gas? WOW,I would keep on looking. I bet the drive sucks.
JandJsucks wrote:
I used to work at J&J, and now i work at a packaging company in Cincinnati. I do the exact same job, and make $9 per hour more here that I did at J&J. Its a long drive every day but more than worth it to drive to Cincy. If they offered you a position at the sunman plant i would look around for other jobs before accepting. Trust me there are much better jobs you just have to drive a little.
commishboycott

Hummelstown, PA

#20 Aug 7, 2009
cheesehead wrote:
Just a thought. Maybe it's a move to make money. How much do you think someone that wants to be involved with carbon motors would pay for an empty building.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nixle stinks. Not needed 12 hr Thrrrrrptttt 7
Western store Sun Ummmm 26
Who died at the Race house thursday? Sun Ummmm 5
Someone stile my package Jan 13 Goose 12
beaters vs cheaters Jan 13 Oswald cobblepot 5
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Jan 12 Citizen 96
The diner Jan 10 Danny 1

Brookville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brookville Mortgages