Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Are people in Brookville aware of the contentious debate in the Greensburg Topix forum over whether to expand Greensburg's existing airport, or to pursue a regional facility that combines air, high-speed rail, and the interstate at a location somewhere near New Point? The point of the latter option is to draw interest in a circle that would affect service for Decatur, Ripley, and Franklin Counties.

The following links are the (current) last two pages of that discussion....

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/greensburg-in...

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/greensburg-in...
Pebbles

Rushville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

That's Ok........
We still have bumpity Main street, St mary's Road and a sidewalk from hell overlooking a RR track with a nice bench behind the show.
No need for air travel a speeding train, or any new bypass access around Brookville.........
Thank you for the offer but our $ goes elwhere......
Where ever that is, I'm not sure.........

Pebbles
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

This is about building infrastructure that will stimulate economic development in southeast Indiana, which in turn, will draw more tax dollars for repair of those local streets and sidewalks.

If you are a young man or woman of thirty and below, this is about Brookville's economic welfare twenty, thirty, and forty years from now.

If you are an older man or woman, this is about committing to public improvements for your grandchildren.... Or will you have them to just be concerned over making repairs to the same local streets and sidewalks in the future?

People of Franklin County are encouraged to visit the TOPIX forum in Greensburg and join in the "Airport" conversation. And hopefully, your county council members will join, too.
Bea

Brookville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

1. People in Franklin County have a long history of not being interested in improving much, especially if it involves change, and most especially is somebody's precious farm ground is in the mix.
2. County Council has and even longer history and less actual motivation. Mostly because they either own or protect their buddies who own precious farm ground in the mix.
3. Thanks for the information--some of us will indeed take a look and see what's up. We aren't all backward and inert.
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Bea,

Our proposal for a regional airport isn't for placement on Franklin County land, but considers the effective driving distance to said airport as within the statistical base of support. Franklin, Decatur, and Ripley counties have a combined 77,700 residents (2011 data).

I see that someone rated my last post as being funny. Following is a post I made on page 108 of the Greensburg Airport thread, on January 13....
Nopo wrote:
Here's something for those against a regional transportation hub that connects air travel, high-speed rail, and the interstate. The following Erika D. Smith article is on page B1 of today's Sunday (Indianapolis) Star....

"Ads show mass transit talk finally is traveling from 'why' to 'how'"

[Quote]

If you've turned on a radio or TV in the past couple of days, you may have come across a series of new commercials that offer answers to what has become a decades-old question in Central Indiana: "Why do we need more transit options?" The answers in the commercials aren't new. But somehow, those answers have a new ring of truth to them.

You wopuldn't know it from the commercials, but in many quarters, the debate has moved beyond: "Why do we need more transit options?" Now the queswtion is: "How can we add transit in a way that makes financial, political and logistical sense?"

That's a big hurdle for Central Indiana to cross. It took only 30 years. "The exciting thing is we're starting to kick off the next phase of planning," said Anna Tyszkiewicz, executive dsirector of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization. "And this a point where we've really never been before."

Starting next month, Indy Connect, the band of public agencies pushing an expansion of buses and rail in Marion and Hamilton counties, will host a series of public hearings to get beyond the "why" to the "how" of transit.

The goal is is to collect residents' thoughts on whether light rail or bus rapid transit would be better for three corridors - one that runs east and west along Washington Street and two others that run north and south between Indianapolis and its suburbs. Indy Connect also wants opinions on whether those "rapid transit" corridors should run on new or existing lanes along city streets.

But perhaps the most interesting, and probably the most contentious, thing residents will be able to discuss is where to put their transit stops.[...]
The answers will either dispel or confirm people's firmly held beliefs about what transit can and cannot do for Central Indiana.[...]

When you start thinking about stops, and more to the point, when you start debating where they should go, you start to realize that transit is about more than just moving people from Point A to Point B.[...]

Its about the possibility for attracting new development and people to neighborhoods. Its about the potential of finding new ways to explore the region - especially if a stop ends up, say, two blocks from your house. Its about knowing there's always a credible alternative to driving.
Once you start hammering out the "how" of transit, suddenly, it becomes more relevant to people's lives. And just as suddenly, the "why" starts to make more sense.

That is what Indy Connect is trying to get across in its commercial;s, especially to the skeptics. Because transit, if done right, is indeed, as they say, "for all of us."

[End of quote]

The question for folks in southeast Indiana to consider is whether (Greensburg's) airport expansion at its current location is really "for all of us."
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Consider that according to 2011 data, Franklin, Ripley, and Decatur counties have a combined 77,700 residents who are co-located between metropolitan areas. Wouldn't it make sense to combine resources for this endeavor?

Since: Oct 08

Brookville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

I would support an airport in Greensburg. If it brings jobs and income to the area, I'm all for it! And yes, I'm from Brookville.
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

DMKfromIN,

At issue is whether to expand Greensburg's existing airport at its current location, or to relocate to a new location (near New Point) and build a facility that combines the resources of a modern airport with high-speed rail and the intertate highway.

The New Point option is for what your support is solicited.
questions

Rushville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Nopo wrote:
DMKfromIN,
At issue is whether to expand Greensburg's existing airport at its current location, or to relocate to a new location (near New Point) and build a facility that combines the resources of a modern airport with high-speed rail and the intertate highway.
Could this airport support national air traffic to and from all areas of the US or just used for personal wealthy people's small aircraft and Honda private company planes. In otherwords, could I get to Florida or California from this airport instead of going to Indy or Cincy?
Same question about high speed rail service. And why Newpoint instead of Greensburg?
questions

Rushville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Are you wanting Franklin County to partially fund this? They won't! We are broke!
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Get to Florida or California?

Allegiant is a small airline that services various eastern cities twice a week. It hubs out of Sanford, Florida which is another airport just northeast of Orlando on Interstate 4. A drive of thirty miles east, and one can be in Daytona. Just west is the Orlando metropolitan area. From Sanford, one can also catch connecting flights to international destinations around the Caribbean.

http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/

http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/airlines...

I recently answered a similar question for another. Allegiant Airlines services Lexington, Kentucky and Fort Wayne, Indiana. My suggestion is that if a facility exists, small airlines can be enticed to southeast Indiana as an option in lieu of landing in Indianapolis or Covington, Kentucky. Co-locating a high-speed rail facility is for drawing others to use the facility as a destination to embark to and/or debark from other destinations.

Why New Point? Looking at the map, New Point is an area where zoning can allow for future growth in the adjoining area as the airport/train/bus facility gains usage. Greensburg's current airport is hemmed in by roadways, a city park, ball diamonds, swimming pool, bowling alley, and fairgrounds. In light of the recent crash which took four lives, then consider that the City Park lake has numerous geese that could be a hindrance to aircraft. And yes, airport expansion at its current location would chiefly serve the interests of Decatur County's wealthy who can afford surreal weekend trips to places most others can afford only once a year.

Am I wanting Franklin County to partially fund this? There isn't a free lunch. In a prior post I wrote, "Consider that according to 2011 data, Franklin, Ripley, and Decatur counties have a combined 77,700 residents who are co-located between metropolitan areas. Wouldn't it make sense to combine resources for this endeavor?"

Franklin County would get the benefit of an airport that 77,700 can afford, at a partial cost. It would require the formation of an airport authority that encompasses a tri-county area. Then toss in some federal aquisition money, and federal grants which would obligate the airport authority for the long haul.

How about maintenance and operational costs? I've suggested that a national guard or a federal reserve military unit could occupy the backside of the runway. Also consider that the military's Urban Warfare Training Center is located near Butlerville. It needs a place where troops can be landed. It has received troops in Terre Haute and transported them across the state. It isn't unusual for a civilian facility to have a shared mission with the military.

The possibilities are there for packaging.
addie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

DMKfromIN wrote:
I would support an airport in Greensburg. If it brings jobs and income to the area, I'm all for it! And yes, I'm from Brookville.
Iagree with DMK. and I am From Brookville and own a 400 acre farm.
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Nopo wrote:

This thing isn't going to happen by itself. The Gary Herbert administration (in Greensburg) is doing all it can to be an obstacle to progress. He doesn't envision things beyond the length of his arm.

If you can see the benefit of such a facility as I am proposing, then please alert your county councilman of the possibilities and perhaps the Franklin County Council will combine with the Ripley County Council to present Gary Herbert a way of saving face without a defeat of purpose.

The object is to build what benefits people most.

Since: Oct 08

Brookville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Yes, I support the New Point option, with high speed rail and an airport close to the interstate. Not sure where the money would come from though. Perhaps the federal government? I know they support high speed railways.
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

The following exchange appears on page 113 of Greensburg's "Airport" thread....
SkyKing wrote:
Let us not forget the infamous HIGH-SPEED NON-STOP TRAIN that will be roaring through Greensburg NON-STOP. This non-stop train would be an alternative to an expanded airport.
And my response....
Nopo wrote:
The statement (above) is misleading.

As written, it never will be figured out.

In the planning scheme of converting our country to a high-speed rail system, the federal government has targeted certain rail paths to be the first for upgrade, with upgrades to other rail paths to follow. The Chicago to Indianapolis to Cincinnati route is one chosen for the intitial upgrade. It passes through Greensburg, New Point, and Batesville, which are centrally located in the tri-county area (Decatur, Franklin, and Ripley counties).

No stop in southeast Indiana is currently planned for the high-speed train. It means that people of southeast Indiana, and particularly the Greensburg-Batesville corridor, WILL LITERALLY WATCH PROGRESS PASS THEM BY ... EVERY DAY.

The object is to create feature that will entice rail officials to alter their planning scheme by adding a point to embark and debark the high-speed rail system. And why not? Why shouldn't the people of southeast Indiana be able to board the train? As the railway is situated at about the same distance from Indianapolis toward Chicago, a stop is planned for Lafayette (2011 estimated population of 67,947). The 2011 estimated population of the tri-county area (Decatur, Franklin, Ripley) is 77,700.

These numbers are gathered so astute politicians can make an argument with rail officials to include southeast Indiana in the planning mix. To use an analogy ... as things are, dinner is being prepared and the people of southeast Indiana haven't a place at the dinner table.

Where are your local and state politicians? Why aren't they in the fight? Are you aware that a crowd gathered at the Indiana Statehouse on Wednesday to voice their position regarding upgrades to the transit system in the City of Indianapolis? Arguments over public transit are in political season.

http://www.indystar.com/proart/20130123/news1...

If the tri-county area is to get into the fight, then what will they have to offer? What do your politicians have that will entice other politicians to enjoin them? A high-speed rail station located in the boondocks isn't an appealing prospect to those in the (Chicago) Region, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, or the southwest.

However, the language of "infrastructure" resonates. "Infrastructure" in the tri-county (Decatur, Franklin, Ripley) is better justified by a "transportation hub" which combines the services that high-speed rail can offer in conjunction with a modern airport and a bus terminal.
Nopo

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

I've posted the same information for people in Batesville and Versailles to read, with no response. There is moderate response in Brookville.

Is this really a non-issue, as it seems?

Don't people want to help themselves?
Pebbles

Rushville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

Nopo wrote:
I've posted the same information for people in Batesville and Versailles to read, with no response. There is moderate response in Brookville.
Is this really a non-issue, as it seems?
Don't people want to help themselves?
Yes we are hearing you but we have a bed and breakfast to get up and running and a bunch of apartments on top of or below Jud's fitness center..........
We also have to go stand on a deck to see the dam river for some reason!
Jud and LLC must not have any info on this here airport!
I am all for your idea!
Good luck with Franklin county though.

Pebbles

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Brookville Forum right now

Search the Brookville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Border crossings Answer! 11 hr big blue goose 12
Where is Amanda Spurlock ? (Jan '13) 17 hr Agree 26
Valley House Thu tinkerbell 9
House Fire Jul 9 bartender 4
Midtown Tavern Jul 8 Bartender 3 29
Walks the dog Jul 8 Ron 9
Is it safe to donate blood if you smoke pot? (Dec '09) Jul 7 StonerDonor 55
•••
•••