should I move my family to kentucky

Posted in the Brooksville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sothern Cali girl

Covina, CA

#1 Jan 2, 2007
So I need some advice. Me and my husband have been thinking about taking our family to kentucky near brooksville. He has family out there and we think we have a shot at doing better then just getting by out here. Ive heard both bad and good things but what I want to know is there anyone out there that has done this and it has worked out. We have five kids and were not what you would call normal kentucky people. We play music have tattoos and peircings and our oldest boys love to skate and punk rock. We are kind and have big hearts but im not sure if the people out there would judge and I would hate for our kids to get teased. I know my sister in law is from california too and she has never come back to live here. She loves to visit and go to the beach though. Dose anyone think this would work, any and all advice is welcome. We just want to get ahead and do better for our family. Its just to expensive out here and were just not making it anymore, I mean weve got five kids, things arent cheap out here in cali. Thanks everone
kattydid

Alma, GA

#2 Jan 10, 2007
I was raised in Ky.Married a guy from ky and left.Been gone about 22 years.I go back and visit about once a year.Peoples lives up there dont seem to change.I love to back for my visits,but as for going back to live ..no.I just wish I had left earlier.
habergimp

Sebastian, FL

#3 Jan 19, 2007
I miss living in Bracken County People are a little bit more forgiving than you think. tatoos and piercings are not limited to california. people in bracken county live close to the AA hwy it is a short distance to cincinati. I think you should give it a try . I was there over christmas and saw a friend that had just returned from california working as a sheriffs deputy I think he is glad to be back. If your Husbands father moved him out there with clopay its time to come home anyway!!
blessed2bme

Frankfort, KY

#4 Jan 29, 2007
I was born and raised in Kentucky. I am now raising my own family here. My husband and I have considered moving out of state simply because of the lack of good jobs. The school systems vary from city to city. Many of the people I grew up with have moved in order to find better jobs and support their families. On the other hand, although we have crime here, it doesn't seem to be as bad as other places. There are good and bad to both sides. I suggest you make the trip to the Bluegrass and see for yourself. Look around, ask a lot of questions and do your research. Best of luck to you. Oh, I almost forgot, don't worry about the piercings or tattoos. Some people are bad to judge just on looks. Not all of us are like that.
HAHAH

Ormond Beach, FL

#5 Feb 7, 2007
Wow, I lived in ky for most of my life. Let me tell they are very judge mental about anything that is different. There are no jobs, no industary, the education system is poor also. I have live many places in my life I love Ky but only to vist now. Oh and I have been to Bracken Co. ita hole in the wall. Huge change from Ca. I live in Fl now and make 4 times the money i did there and my child goes to much better schools.
Lisa

United States

#6 May 19, 2007
My husband and I are in the same boat. We will be moving to Cinci in the next year after he gets done with RN School. We are thinking of buying a house around Falmouth KY. We have 2 kids and are not the typical family. My husband has lots of tattoos and some piercings as well. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you can find people that you connect with. Heck. Not sure where the town you are thinking of is but if we move down there we may just have to say hi LOL.
cali girl

Covina, CA

#7 Jun 7, 2007
Thanks for the help everyone, we just keep going back and forth. I know Im gonna miss the beach and friends and family if we do make the move. We are always just getting by out here and now my mom is moving in with us and were in a 3 bedroom apt. Cant find a house out here we can afford or a bigger apt. My husband works at a music store and I stay home with the kids. Just looking for a simpler life, we want to afford a big enough place and live comfortably and not stress so much. My husband says well move out there for sure one day but Im woundering if we should have made the move this year since we are in the same position we always are out here. What kind of jobs are out there and how much do people make? still looking for answers, thanks :)
Neil Morrison Sr

Morehead, KY

#8 Jun 8, 2007
My wife and I moved back to Kentucky two years ago from Raleigh-Durham, NC and let me tell you it has been the most negative experience we have ever had.
First: I had relatives here (Bracken Co) but returning was totally different from visiting. Once here they were'nt so friendly. Now we have no contact with them, which was the biggest reason for returning in the first place.
Next: the cost of living is too high here. Car insurance doubled from NC. They have "No Fault" insurance here plus NO vehicle inspections period, resulting in HIGH accident rates, NO eye tests EVER to get and keep your drivers license- 95 year old drivers who cant see well enough to drive,etc.
This results in HIGH insurance rates.
Medical care is a bad joke- one of the highest cancer rates we have seen anywhere (Next county-Fleming- has a hushed up Nuclear Waste disposal burial sit which still leaks since 1965- Maxey Flats)
Drugs are as bad as NC- hushed up a lot.
People ARE VERY conscious of tattoos, piercings, etc. Overall- VERY DISAPPOINTING. We are now selling our house and returning to NC. GOOD LUCK. You'll need it if you return here.
Neil Morrison Sr

Morehead, KY

#9 Jun 8, 2007
No jobs here unless you can live on minimum wage and enjoy restaurant work.You WILL have more stress here as we found upon returning. Good Luck. We are returning to NC at a great cost. Used our savings trying to make it here but its hopeless.(Unless your I.Q. is under 85.

Kym

“Truth,Justice &theAmericanWay”

Since: Jun 07

Maysville KY

#10 Jun 24, 2007
Neil Morrison Sr wrote:
No jobs here unless you can live on minimum wage and enjoy restaurant work.You WILL have more stress here as we found upon returning. Good Luck. We are returning to NC at a great cost. Used our savings trying to make it here but its hopeless.(Unless your I.Q. is under 85.
You know, it's incredibly unfair for you to judge this entire state because of your bad experience. I can empathise with what you have gone through, however, KY is not as bad as you have painted the picture to be. In addition, IQ doesn't have anything to do with it. If that were the case, I'm willing to say you may well have a hard time finding anywhere to live.

I neither work in a restaurant nor is my IQ anywhere close to being below 85. This situations you have described could have happened anyhwere.
opinion

Lexington, KY

#11 Sep 23, 2007
Sothern Cali girl wrote:
So I need some advice. Me and my husband have been thinking about taking our family to kentucky near brooksville. He has family out there and we think we have a shot at doing better then just getting by out here. Ive heard both bad and good things but what I want to know is there anyone out there that has done this and it has worked out. We have five kids and were not what you would call normal kentucky people. We play music have tattoos and peircings and our oldest boys love to skate and punk rock. We are kind and have big hearts but im not sure if the people out there would judge and I would hate for our kids to get teased. I know my sister in law is from california too and she has never come back to live here. She loves to visit and go to the beach though. Dose anyone think this would work, any and all advice is welcome. We just want to get ahead and do better for our family. Its just to expensive out here and were just not making it anymore, I mean weve got five kids, things arent cheap out here in cali. Thanks everone
I was raised in Brooksville and I no longer live there, it is a nice place but there really is nothing there(jobs)
FAST TICKET

United States

#12 May 29, 2009
Neil, you really need to go back to NC. Ky doesnt need all that negativity. If your relatives was friendly at first and now their not, maybe it was..........YOU.
Pay No Mind

United States

#13 Jul 17, 2009
Don't worry what others may think is best for your family. You have to make that choice. I have lived here for 8 years and moved from a big city. No theres not many jobs here, but if your willing to drive the AA than its worth it! This is a small town , so there is a lot of gossip and slander. Just stay away from it. Not that everyone gossips or slanders others, but you have to exspect that in a small town like this. Any town in Bracken county that is. The View is Breath taking! Although your hand may go numb after waving to so many people on your way to the store with each passing car or truck. LOL
Follow your heart and you will be where God Intended.
bcresident

United States

#14 Jul 18, 2009
Neil Morrison Sr wrote:
My wife and I moved back to Kentucky two years ago from Raleigh-Durham, NC and let me tell you it has been the most negative experience we have ever had.
First: I had relatives here (Bracken Co) but returning was totally different from visiting. Once here they were'nt so friendly. Now we have no contact with them, which was the biggest reason for returning in the first place.
Next: the cost of living is too high here. Car insurance doubled from NC. They have "No Fault" insurance here plus NO vehicle inspections period, resulting in HIGH accident rates, NO eye tests EVER to get and keep your drivers license- 95 year old drivers who cant see well enough to drive,etc.
This results in HIGH insurance rates.
Medical care is a bad joke- one of the highest cancer rates we have seen anywhere (Next county-Fleming- has a hushed up Nuclear Waste disposal burial sit which still leaks since 1965- Maxey Flats)
Drugs are as bad as NC- hushed up a lot.
People ARE VERY conscious of tattoos, piercings, etc. Overall- VERY DISAPPOINTING. We are now selling our house and returning to NC. GOOD LUCK. You'll need it if you return here.
I am sorry to hear about your disappointments, but I live in Bracken County, living is more affordable. The only problem people have is the fact that everyone thinks they know everyone's business, and the best thing for all to do is the same thing my family does, my neighbors are my family we help one another out and even the ones that aren't family we look out for one another but mind our own business. I need to correct you on the Maxey Flatts happens to be monitored by the Local College Biology majors. The Head of the science department is in charge of it. The area is tested in 5 different area's above & below & direct at Maxey Flatts the results of the water & soil samples are sent to the EPA every other week. The reason I know is because I did the project for 6 months, and not once in that period of time did we get a bad PH reading. Far as prices are concerned I just drove through NC & gas is 12 cents higher than Bracken County! NC is higher than all the states it that surround it. I have spent time in NC and it is as dumpy as Western Kentucky.
Brianna

Miami, FL

#15 Oct 12, 2009
I agree!!! You shouldn't judge a town because of what happened in your lifetime. It doesn't mean it will happen now! Kentucky is probably one of the most beautiful states I have ever seen in my life!! Their is quite a few jobs. Their system is not poor!!! It is really beautiful! You probably haven't seen the full scenery of the state!
chris harris

Nicholasville, KY

#16 Oct 13, 2009
Sothern Cali girl wrote:
listen im like the only punk kid in the school system and i got ur kids back if there in high school but yea they will get called skaterfag alot and made fun of for having bright red or green hair but i think it wud be good in a way so these close minded rednecks will have ta open there minds a lil bit... theres really no1 else into punk there more emo scene or metal heads but theres alotta skaters and they all got each others back
JUST DONT DO IT

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Oct 13, 2009
Whatever u do don't move to Bracken Co. try Campbell County or Kenton Co. or Florence, those are nice areas if you were not raised in Bracken Co. you definitely do not belong there they judge you on your last name and background and look like you like you are aliens if you do not have any roots from here TRUST ME
P-nut

Wallingford, KY

#18 Oct 13, 2009
that is true.. NO jobs.. i lived in bracken county all my life.. when i got out of high school recently..08 i went to work at a place called brownings.. good place to work.. wokred there for 6 months got laid off.. cant find a job one..
womp womp

AOL

#19 Oct 13, 2009
Hell no....don't do it!! Can't wait to leave myself!! Sucks out here, everything....And if your Black you'll really hate it!! Everyone and there mother is a racist out here!! Prolly everyone who's posted so far except me, are all racist...lol. BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU
womp womp

AOL

#20 Oct 13, 2009
Kym wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, it's incredibly unfair for you to judge this entire state because of your bad experience. I can empathise with what you have gone through, however, KY is not as bad as you have painted the picture to be. In addition, IQ doesn't have anything to do with it. If that were the case, I'm willing to say you may well have a hard time finding anywhere to live.
I neither work in a restaurant nor is my IQ anywhere close to being below 85. This situations you have described could have happened anyhwere.
Thats true it could happen anywhere!! But I have to agree, Ky is a piece of Sh*t as a whole, sorry!! Just being honest, and as far as the IQ goes...This is one of the dumbest states I've ever seen, maybe you should do some research!! What other states kids learn in 6th grade, Kentucky's kids learn in 11th-12th....Id say your all a bunch of dumb a*s racist pieces of sh*t any day, and proud to say it too!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brooksville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mount olivet snitch (Oct '10) 8 hr melinda 57
Seeking house keeper and more. 10 hr Tango 2
Swingers group 19 hr Better 23
Green mustang Mon Matt 6
Travid Golden Mon Tang-mus 1
pub Mon Boink 5
M&M farms Mon Jeff 2

Brooksville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance