AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

I attended PS 56 1940-1947
Any classmates reading this perhaps we can reminisce.
Joan
leslie

Ridgewood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2010

11th Apr 2010

i grew up on putnam ave went to P S 56 looking for eugine orlando
Larry

Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2010

I also grew up on Putnam Ave (1149 to be exact) and attended PS 56 from 1950-52.

I remember that above the main entrance to the school, the year 1863 was engraved --this contrary to the 1885 date shown above.
Anthony Terranova

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

I was born on Bushwick Avenue on the corner of Halsey Street, We later moved to Madison Street between Evergreen and Central. I attended P.S. 56
I was born in 1934 , attended Halsey Junior High School 85, then Bushwick High.
Joan

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Anthony Terranova wrote:
I was born on Bushwick Avenue on the corner of Halsey Street, We later moved to Madison Street between Evergreen and Central. I attended P.S. 56
I was born in 1934 , attended Halsey Junior High School 85, then Bushwick High.
Hi Anthony:
Do you remember the names of some of your teachers, I had Miss Booton in Kindergarten,Miss Sticter in first grade, Miss McSherry, Mrs Kerbs, Miss Wallace. Did you have any of these teachers?
Joan
Larry

Secaucus, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

How about Mr Buschell--principal
Miss Barbash --1st grade
Miss Coca--kindgergarden
Marilyn

Sayreville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Hi, I attended PS 56 until 1952. I too lived at 1149 Putnam Ave. My teachers were: Coca, Sticter, Sheridan, Donakee, Donalyn, Mc Sherry, Mc Creight. Miss Mc Sherry was really tough, but she made me into a student.
Joan

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

[
Hi Anthony:
Do you remember the names of some of your teachers, I had Miss Booton :
I was also born in 1934 and lived on Palmetto Street.
I went to Halsey Junior High School and Franklin K Lane.
We must have passed in the halls of 56 or Halsey Junior
High School
Joan
Judy Donlon Wacker

Kirkland, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2010

I attended P.S 56 from 1948 to 1955. I remember most of the teachers who were mentioned above, but not all of them. There was also a male 5th grade teacher, Mr. Speisser (sp.?) who was there for only one year, I think. There was also a Ms. Burns, Ms. Donecke, Ms. Doyle (whose favorite expression was "I'm on the warpath...."), and Ms. Donlan.
I kept up a long-time acquaintance with Mrs. Coker, whom I had for kindergarten, but who remained in my life until her death. She is probably the one person who was a contributing factor in my eventually becoming a teacher.
I don't know if all of you felt that the education you got in the NY public schools of the 40's and 50's was excellent, but, in retrospect I DO, because I see that there is so much remedial work for students today who enter colleges, that was NOT necessary when WE entered college in the late 50's, early 60's.
My sister, Cynthia Donlon, and I, Judy, lived on Madison St., just 1/4 block from the elevator line on Broadway, and I attended Halsey Jr. High after P.S. 56.
Judy Donlon Wacker

Kirkland, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2010

Judged:

P.S. I am constantly reminded by my sister that I was the strongest person in school, because when children could not open their thermos bottles at lunchtime, they always came to me, and voila, I was able to open them at once. This was MY claim to fame.
Anthony Terranova

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2011

Hi Joan,
some of the teacher i remember fondly,
Miss Sticter, Miss McSherry (I was fascinated with here ring watch ), Miss Wallace, Miss McCutchen, Miss McConnel I know live in Brooklyn Heights. I have gone back to Bushwick Avenue and of cours our school is gone, much has changed , but it seems to be attracting young people .
Joan

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2011

Anthony Terranova wrote:
Hi Joan,
some of the teacher i remember fondly,
Miss Sticter, Miss McSherry (I was fascinated with here ring watch ), Miss Wallace, Miss McCutchen, Miss McConnel I know live in Brooklyn Heights. I have gone back to Bushwick Avenue and of cours our school is gone, much has changed , but it seems to be attracting young people .
Hi Anthony
After you mentionned Miss McSherry's Ring I remembered she wore large pieces of costume jewelry and I remember the watch ring.
Do you remember having assembly they opened the doors between several classes, and I remember Music Appreciation. The teacher played records for us, then we identified them
Regards
Joan
Anthony Terranova

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2011

Wow, here are some of the names of my classmate from 56. Ann Rosen, Edwin Trautman, Ronald De Luca, Dorothy Nau, Dorothy Shick, Arthor Shick, Vita Olivetti, Maryann Sicuro, Tim Brophy, Alan Rosenberg,
Anthony Napi,Natalie Ardizoni, Katherine Laudicini.
I'll reach back in time and find some more. wow
Joan Levy Labow

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Anthony Terranova wrote:
Wow, here are some of the names of my classmate from 56. Ann Rosen, Edwin Trautman, Ronald De Luca, Dorothy Nau, Dorothy Shick, Arthor Shick, Vita Olivetti, Maryann Sicuro, Tim Brophy, Alan Rosenberg,
Anthony Napi,Natalie Ardizoni, Katherine Laudicini.
I'll reach back in time and find some more. wow
Hi again Anthony
Edwin Trautman signed my autograph book and I knew Ann Rosen.
Mrs Wallace was my teacher when I graduated in 6th grade was she yours also? I knew Via Olivetti.
Please write and tell me more of your memories.
Joan
Antthony Terranova

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Did you know that both MS. Wallace and Ms. McCutcheon lived on Buswick Avenue? I graduated with Ms, McConnel I have a story, I live in Brooklyn Heighs. And for many years i recognized a man that also lived here, I recognized him as Ann Rozen's brother, you have to remember elementary school was centuries ago , yet i remember Bruce Rosen , i told him , he told Ann who is now teaching and lives in Greenwich Village, he was stunned that i should remember him, i have that kind of memory Did you go to Brooklyn College?
tony
Joan Levy Labow

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2011

Antthony Terranova wrote:
Did you know that both MS. Wallace and Ms. McCutcheon lived on Buswick Avenue? I graduated with Ms, McConnel I have a story, I live in Brooklyn Heighs. And for many years i recognized a man that also lived here, I recognized him as Ann Rozen's brother, you have to remember elementary school was centuries ago , yet i remember Bruce Rosen , i told him , he told Ann who is now teaching and lives in Greenwich Village, he was stunned that i should remember him, i have that kind of memory Did you go to Brooklyn College?
tony
Hi Tony:
I knew Bruce, my friend Joan Lewis lived on Linden Street and Bruce and Ann lived in an apartment building across the street.
I believe their Dad was a dentist. How did you know Bruce? If you see him again see if he remembers me. I didnt go to Brooklyn College did you? I went to Adelphi for one year and then transferred to Boston Univ.
Was Ms Wallace one of your teachers, no I didnt know that she lived on Bushwick Ave. I remember Ms McCutcheon as being stern and old looking.
Did you know Charles Zirpolo? Write soon
Regards
Joan
Anthony Terranova

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

I actually did not know Bruce RosenI just remembered him as Ann's brother, this is the amazing part of remembering. Maybe i remember becausse i had a bad crush on ANN.
Miss McCutchen.... Well that stern teacher, It turn out that do to a problem that developed , she was assigned as our teacher for a second term. At then end of that second term, she become so human and caring that on the last week of the end of that term she personall brought sandwiches, cookies and treated our class to a lovely day and she was in tears. And so were a lot of us.
Charles Zipolo! how did you know him? He lived 4 doors down from us. We were childhood friends. Charlie went to private Catholic school his entire school career. Tell me how you know him?
joan L

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2011

Anthony Terranova wrote:
I actually did not know Bruce RosenI just remembered him as Ann's brother, this is the amazing part of remembering. Maybe i remember becausse i had a bad crush on ANN.
Miss McCutchen.... Well that stern teacher, It turn out that do to a problem that developed , she was assigned as our teacher for a second term. At then end of that second term, she become so human and caring that on the last week of the end of that term she personall brought sandwiches, cookies and treated our class to a lovely day and she was in tears. And so were a lot of us.
Charles Zipolo! how did you know him? He lived 4 doors down from us. We were childhood friends. Charlie went to private Catholic school his entire school career. Tell me how you know him?
Hi Tony:
What an interesting story about Miss McCutchen thanks for sharing.
Charlie was in a few of my early classes at PS 56, he was a fun person always kidding around. I guess in the early grades he went to PS 56 for a while. I remember his Mom she was a very pretty nice lady. He had a brother dont remember his name but he lived near me on Long Island, and a relative told me about 5 years ago that she was related to Charlie and gave me an email address to get in touch with his brother but he never responded to me. I think Charlie passed away after that.
Its amazing how writing to you has triggered so many memories for me, Im so pleased that we have made contact and you have such a good memory. When I get home from Florida will look at my autograph book from 56 and send you more names of my classmates.
Regards
Joan
leslie H

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

does anyone remember a tire store on the corner of putnam and bushwick ave.my grandfather owned it.i was in p s 56 1955 to 1959 anybody from that time
Larry

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

Yes Leslie...I remember that tire store...wasn't it called Sachs?
I lived in 1149 Putnam Ave near Bushwick. My father had a grocery store nearby on Broadway.

I attended PS 56 K-2nd grade...had Miss Cocoa, Miss Barbash, Miss Johnson.

Too bad I can't upload pics on this site...I've got a photo which was taken in front of that tire store.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Brooklyn Forum right now

Search the Brooklyn Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Mexican Mitt Romney 6,284
pastor jim cymbala do you trust him 3 hr btnomore 1
Miley Cyrus hospitalized 4 hr Papyrus 20
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 4 hr YUP 16,736
Gay Brooklyn teen looking to meet (Dec '11) 4 hr Def Brat 95
Hazleton is better than Brooklyn (Jan '12) 4 hr Def Brat 35
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr whoever 6,184
•••
•••

Brooklyn News Video

•••
•••

Brooklyn Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Brooklyn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••