Voters: Official's arrest no big deal

The news about Planning Board Chairman Nick Cate's arrest last week and the drug charge against him has perplexed Leigh Ann Maher, who remembers him as a nice kid from the school bus. Full Story
Huh

Pepperell, MA

#1 Jan 14, 2010
Cate has said he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and does not associate with "bad people." ???

felon in possession of a dangerous weapon, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, attempting to falsify physical evidence, and resisting arrest or detention. pound of dope,$72,000 in cash

Ayuh.. sounds like wrong ploace at the wrong time already
concerned citizen

Westminster, MA

#2 Jan 14, 2010
Just one more reason we should all be opening our eye's and voting for change in April!!!
Wrong place Wrong time ? RIGHT!!!!!!

Gotta wonder if Joe S. sits around on saturday night doing Bong hits????
dirt bag

United States

#3 Jan 15, 2010
No comment from Cate as to his drug use. Hmmm, well, what are we left to suspect? Geez, paraphrasing, but he said he was concerned about the fact that his kids might lose their friends because their parents might be concerned about them hanging out with kids whose dad associates with bad people. Forget about the dad hanging around with bad people! How about the fact that the dad was caught with pot? Who is to say if he does or does not smoke it at home, potentially when his kids' friends are over the house?!?! What is the response from the various town officials about the fact that the planning board chairman may be a drug user or dealer? What was he doing with pot? He either smokes it or he sells it. Regardless of whether it's a personal matter, it's now public knowledge. He should be pressured to step down immediately, IMO.
Disappointed

United States

#4 Jan 15, 2010
A town offical charged with possession?? Guess it was for medical purposes and he was just having a Doctor visit...or was that for his Cousin...that works in the NFL...just ask Ty Law...lol

Time for a change...get rid of them all!!!
whitewash

Pepperell, MA

#5 Jan 15, 2010
Voters? Let's see what we have in our representative voter sample: Father of a selectman, someone no longer living in town (Soupy?), and father of a Pepperell police officer and proxy for Nick's pals?
Okay, no problem with voters.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Jan 15, 2010
If found guilty, he should do the right thing and resign. He does not deserve to hold public office
whitewash

Pepperell, MA

#7 Jan 15, 2010
"A court document filled out by Cate shows he has a prior conviction for stolen property. Cate said last night that it was from "the days of youth" when he and some friends took a table out of a buddy's home as a practical joke."

Just keeps getting better, doesn't it? People get convicted for "practical jokes on buddys" everyday. Come on - enough of this in your face to the townspeople!

Seeing our selectmen and new administrator circle the wagons is not good!
Angry Resident

Southbridge, MA

#8 Jan 18, 2010
Does anyone realize that Nick's vending company delivers snacks to our schools? If it's not a problem to our town officals, maybe it will concern our school commitee members??
Rolling my eyes

AOL

#9 Jan 23, 2010
You people are really something else. Would love to have all of your "skeletons" come out in the front page of the paper. You would be singing a different tune I am sure. Nick is a good person. Bottom line. He is not a murderer or a child molester for God's sake. Leave their family alone. My kids can and do go over there any time. There is no one I trust more with my children.
flrguru

Worcester, MA

#10 Jan 24, 2010
what a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrites. In mass. the possesion of a small amount of cannibis is not even a criminal offense. Its the same as when you go 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit. Or if you leave youre car running while you run into the store. Or even a superbowl pool you might buy a square for. I know this incident occured just over the line in NH but please. Why don't you take all that manufactured outrage and try to put it to good use. (I cant believe how many small minds we have around here)
R U Voting

Pepperell, MA

#11 Jan 25, 2010
flrguru wrote:
what a bunch of sanctimonious hypocrites. In mass. the possesion of a small amount of cannibis is not even a criminal offense. Its the same as when you go 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit. Or if you leave youre car running while you run into the store. Or even a superbowl pool you might buy a square for. I know this incident occured just over the line in NH but please. Why don't you take all that manufactured outrage and try to put it to good use.(I cant believe how many small minds we have around here)

Good point. Why get our pants in a knot over a small amount of drugs in our schools?
flrguru

Worcester, MA

#12 Jan 26, 2010
in our schools? What are you talking about. Thats quite a leap.(your kids are prob. the ones bringing the drugs to school.)
David

Auburn, MA

#13 Feb 10, 2010
He should resign in disgrace immediately! Pot is a gateway drug. This Shows the lack of moral character of our Town officials.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nashua's Sheehan picks up firefighter endorseme... 10 hr reality is a crutch 3
Nashua's Aubuchon Hardware closed on Monday Sep 17 reality is a crutch 1
Review: Strongman Movers LLC (Jan '13) Sep 3 Jannie123 8
Nashua's Broad Street Elementary begins school ... Aug 27 reality is a crutch 1
Hudson town, police accused of violating panhan... Aug 22 reality is a crutch 1
Family of Merrimack drowning victim looking for... Aug '14 Sanchez 2
Subject: Online Privacy - Personal Information ... (May '12) Aug '14 Mike 25
•••

Brookline News Video

•••