Hey Mom, What happened to the Sewing ...

Hey Mom, What happened to the Sewing Machine?

Posted in the Brookings Forum

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1 Aug 12, 2010
Any evening during the late 1950s would often find me sitting at the kitchen table building my latest model. I was a real nut for models. Boats, airplanes, tanks, I built them all. Mom always said something about wasting time and money with my endeavor but I figure she would rather see me doing that going to my room to read my latest batch of comic books. What mom didn't realise that while building those models I was learning how to read and follow instrutions as well as building up mechanical apptitude and understanding how to put things together. All of these things would help me later in my life. Ironically as I was "wasting time" in the kitchen Mom was in the dining room cutting out the patterns for a new dress. That's right, You could go to the store an buy patterns then go and pick out a nice fabric and MAKE YOUR OWN CLOTHS! No I am not kidding. People accually did things like that. My Mom had a sewing machine as well as my grandmother and they knew how to use it.
Today of course we Americans do not have to stoop to such lowly activity. We have a whole world of economic slaves to labor for us. We have big stores everywhere to sell us these products with Daddy's plastic card. It is just as well though. You can't buy the patterns anymore or the faberic. If you want a sewing machine you have to order it from a person that looks at you like you are crazy. Kids can no longer buy models anymore and learn how to build somthing with your own hands. So what! we don't have anything to build anyway. What models are available today are all made in China and they are the poor slobs that have to make things. We all can just site back and enjoy letting our Government take care of us. Thanks to my model building experiance I was able to be a very good cabinet maker, yacht builder, commercial helicopter pilot and it probably got me into the Marine Corp out of the nineth grade..
So boys and girls if you give it some thought maybe you will understand why when you go out for a job the guy tells you to GO TO HELL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John K. Hutchison - Is this the famous self-pr... May '15 Johnhutchison 2
News Oath Keepers Seem To Want A Shootout Over Orego... Apr '15 Sugar Pine Mine 1
Gold Beach Jukebox (Jun '12) Jan '15 Musikologist 13
Nursery (Nov '14) Nov '14 Kapi Taka 1
News Murder suspect refuses extradition to Oregon (Aug '08) Oct '14 total BS 36
News Gold Beach woman drowns in Rogue River after go... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Renee Brewer 1
Curry County Oregon Politics & Corruption (Oct '13) Nov '13 whodunit 2
More from around the web

Brookings People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Brookings Mortgages