Montgomery, AL

#21 Dec 1, 2009
Well stated Rainbow Generation
UnionAcademyGrad uate

United States

#22 Dec 8, 2009
SouthernExposure wrote:
<quoted text>
There used to be an unaccredited "school" in Georgetown called Union Academy, but thankfully, the feds shut it down for tax evasion. It was more like a cult anyway, and specialized in teaching white supremacy.
I know this post is several months old, but as a UA graduate, I'd like to set the record straight (apologies if this post is redundant... but it looks like Topix lost my earlier reply to this post):

UA was an accredited school (at least, it was at the time I attended... I don't know what its status was at the time it closed.) I had no problems being accepted into a four year college after I graduated.

UA did *not* teach white supremacy. True, it was a white-only private school; and that commitment to segregation spoke volumes about its true values. But I attended the school from 1st grade through 12th, and at no time did I ever hear any teacher claim that whites were superior to other races.

UA was also not cult-like by any definition of the word. It was operated as a "Christian" school so it had things like prayer at special events, the "A Beka" curriculum was used in the elementary classes, and there was a 15-minute Bible "period" for upper classes. Your opinion may vary, but for most people, this is not exactly the stuff of cults.

UA was not a great school; truth is in most ways it was really lousy. It had the same problems that every other school in the area had (insufficient funding, discipline problems, athletics were over-prioritized, teachers were under-qualified, etc.) But lets tone down the rhetoric: UA was just a small school in a small rural town. Its stated Christian values were undermined by its commitment to segregation, but it was not a white-supremacist cult.
1981 UA GRAD

Sioux Falls, SD

#23 Dec 9, 2009
UnionAcademyGraduate wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this post is several months old, but as a UA graduate, I'd like to set the record straight (apologies if this post is redundant... but it looks like Topix lost my earlier reply to this post):
UA was an accredited school (at least, it was at the time I attended... I don't know what its status was at the time it closed.) I had no problems being accepted into a four year college after I graduated.
UA did *not* teach white supremacy. True, it was a white-only private school; and that commitment to segregation spoke volumes about its true values. But I attended the school from 1st grade through 12th, and at no time did I ever hear any teacher claim that whites were superior to other races.
UA was also not cult-like by any definition of the word. It was operated as a "Christian" school so it had things like prayer at special events, the "A Beka" curriculum was used in the elementary classes, and there was a 15-minute Bible "period" for upper classes. Your opinion may vary, but for most people, this is not exactly the stuff of cults.
UA was not a great school; truth is in most ways it was really lousy. It had the same problems that every other school in the area had (insufficient funding, discipline problems, athletics were over-prioritized, teachers were under-qualified, etc.) But lets tone down the rhetoric: UA was just a small school in a small rural town. Its stated Christian values were undermined by its commitment to segregation, but it was not a white-supremacist cult.
Thanks for your comments. I agree with you. I feel that i got an adequate education at UA. It was at least as good as what I could have gotten at CS or CA. Was it perfect? No. I know now that we lacked in so many areas. I enjoyed being at a small school and being part of a "family" type atmosphere. You certainly could not get lost in the crowd at UA. Were the teachers any good? Some were and some were not. However, considering the paltry sum that they were paid, I do think that all of them at least tried to do a decent job. Like you, I had no problem getting into college and later grad school at Vandy. We should thank our parents for doing what they felt was best at the time. I know that it was a financial hardship for my divorced mother to send me to UA, but I am glad that she did.
SouthernExposure

Columbia, VA

#24 Jan 21, 2010
UnionAcademyGraduate wrote:
<quoted text>
UA was an accredited school (at least, it was at the time I attended... I don't know what its status was at the time it closed.)
You have no idea what you are talking about since you weren't there after you graduated. I stand by my original comments.
UnionAcademyGrad uate

Austin, TX

#25 Jan 25, 2010
SouthernExposure wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea what you are talking about since you weren't there after you graduated. I stand by my original comments.
Did you attend UA? What is your source of information?

I attended the school for well over a decade. I know the teachers and the people who ran the school. I know exactly what was and was not taught at that school. What is your source of information, exactly?
i love everyone

Crystal Springs, MS

#26 Mar 9, 2010
To al those out hthere thats talking about colored you need to stop it right now because the reason why COPIAH COUNTY is full of black student is because mostly black stays in that area,and races has nothing to deal with the facts about COPIAH COUHNTY so all of those thats trying to put copiah county down listen to this--"YOU MAY TRY TO MAKE US FALL IN AN HOLE BUT WE WILL CLIMB OUT OF IT[it may take us an little while but we gone make it no matter what].so all of those who hating start appreciating REAL talk this is reality.
GOD

Opelousas, LA

#27 Mar 12, 2010
A old black man turned 105 years old and was asked how he has lived so long. He replied "Praise the Lord Jesus Christ everyday and minded my own damn buisness".

ill be here all night

GOD
Concern parent

Marshall, VA

#28 Oct 19, 2010
Our schools systems have dropped again this year.Drop out rate is higher, lawsuits against our county for out dated policies.

We can make a difference, but we have to vote the old out and put committed parents in the positions, who have something to fight for.
concerned mother

Hattiesburg, MS

#29 Nov 2, 2010
There is definitely a "Wesson Mafia" at WAC. They need to clean house and get someone on the school board who has the drive and the brains to stand up and do what is right for the children. The present meMbers merely collect a paycheck. The majority of the teachers have a bad attitude but it could be due to the school board and the principal!!!They give out study guides 1-2 days before 9 week tests...WHY NOT GIVE THESE OUT THE FRIDAY BEFORE SO STUDENTS CAN STUDY ON THE WEEKEND!!! THE MCT2 STUDY GUIDES ARE ON THE MS DEPT. OF EDUCATION WEB AND COULD BE USED TO STUDY AT HOME. NOONE HAS EVER TOLD THE STUDENTS OR PARENTS THIS BECAUSE THEY REALLY DON'T CARE...THE LIST GOES ON AND ON...
Happy Reader

Atlanta, GA

#30 Jan 30, 2011
Why are you surprised that the schools are bad? It all began with integration and the interference of the hated Federal Government back in the late '60s, early '70s. I personally would not send my dog to a Government school.

If feel you really have no other choice than to send your child to an intergrated Government school, I would urge you spend time at home with him reading to him and supplementing and correcting what is being taught in these black board jungles.

I am thankful my parents sent me to Council Schools (private).
jeb

Pearl, MS

#31 Feb 12, 2011
Why are the public schools in copiah county so bad, the same reason they are inferior all over the south.
Years ago the whites did not want there kids to go to school with blacks, thus the private schools. Since most affluent whites and blacks go to private schools where the teachers are better..the public schools get neglected. All of the politicians that have anything to say about the public school system send there kids to private schools and could care less about the public schools.....I am white and moved to Mississippi 30 years ago.
Educator

Atlanta, GA

#32 Feb 12, 2011
jeb wrote:
Why are the public schools in copiah county so bad, the same reason they are inferior all over the south.
Years ago the whites did not want there kids to go to school with blacks, thus the private schools. Since most affluent whites and blacks go to private schools where the teachers are better..the public schools get neglected. All of the politicians that have anything to say about the public school system send there kids to private schools and could care less about the public schools.....I am white and moved to Mississippi 30 years ago.
Sad to say, with the advent of interference by the federal government, it is well-nigh impossible for there to be be quality education in government [public] schools. The only solution is to send your child to a private school OR home school. If you are so unfortunate as to have to sent your child to a government school, monitor what he is learning. The textbooks -- especially the history ones -- are slanted. Correct what is amiss. Without dismissing other people, make him proud that he is a Southerner. Teach him about Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, George Washington and other great Americans and Southerners. Children need heroes ... and yes limit exposure to sorted, ungodly television and hand-held games.

I majored in English and minored in Education at Mississippi College, and I would recommend -- again if you MUST send your child to a government school -- to go over his work, encourage him and give them extra material. Read to him from the King James Bible. Teach him not just how to put letters together to form words, but virtue. More than that, begin early. There is no greater work.

Government schools iron out all intellectual curiosity a child might have. Teachers -- who may be very good -- haven't got time to teach -- they have too much paperwork and, of course hall patrol. I think we can give up on government schools; they are a monstrosity, a perversion of education.

If you find yourself in a situation where home schooling is an option, partner with other parents. One person might be gifted in math; another in English literature; another in history. Work together; another Latin.

You can do it! Your child is the most precious gift God has given you. Make whatever sacrifice necessary.
jeb

Pearl, MS

#33 Feb 12, 2011
I agree educator. But the fact remains that the public schools are only that way because of the private schools. I had 2 children graduate from North Wast Rankin High School over 40 years ago, back then the public schools were great.

Its also not just the schools, it is the attitude of the parents. Actually, parents are more important in the education of the kids than the schools are. Too many parents are so tied up in other things, they have no clue what the kids are doing and in a lot of cases they don't care.

Sad but true
Copiah Academy student

Chicago, IL

#34 Jul 13, 2012
I am a black student who goes to the private school in Hazlehurst Mississippi (copiah academy) i will be a 10th grader next year.My mother sent me there when i moved there because the education at the public school is very poor. not all public schools are bad but my mother sent me there to get a better education. the school itself isnt racist other schools that are private that we play against are sometimes i have actually been called named at other schools because of my color. but my WHITE friends were behind me. i will also be the only black person in my grade next year and I will be class president in the band marching and concert and i am on the flag team i have excellent grades and have awesome friends.now the public school in hazlehurst is the way it is because the kids dont want to learn. some do want to but they cant because the teachers have to controll the kids before they can teach. the white people generally have more money than blacks so they sent there children to the private school its ot racist its just how it is. my school even tries to get more people in such as if you come from a low income family they will take money of your tution. and that is just how it is.
Middle of the roader

Pearl, MS

#35 Jul 17, 2012
The two main things that are taught in the Bible are
1. Love God
2. Love thy neighbor as thyself.

You can't do one without the other.....!! Come on people, if you are Christians then be Christians, you can't have it both ways.
sadbutso

Hazlehurst, MS

#36 Nov 13, 2012
BLH, if you're still there and interested, the military school you're looking for is Chamberlain-Hunt Academy in Port Gibson,MS.

Since: Dec 12

Loganville, GA

#37 Dec 18, 2012
"White Pride" is no more racist than "African-American". Now, since you suggested "American Pride", why do you have to have "African" in fron of YOUR "American"?? What part of Africa were you born in, CONCERNED PARENT? I didn't think so...

Loganville, GA

#38 Dec 18, 2012
If the above statement is what you really want, then why can't you drop that "African-" business before the "American" and "move forward as one people, as one nation - with AMERICAN PRIDE" as you said???
Answer that?

Loganville, GA

#39 Dec 18, 2012
Rainbow Generation wrote:
I'm a white girl. I'm 18. I've gone to public schools all my life and I'm completly blown away by this. What are your problems. White is right? White Pride? Are you serious? You in yourselves are segregating. You're hypocritical and pointing fingers at this person. They really are concerned. Most of the schools around here do suck. The daily process of school work is like a carosel and children come home from school without anything amazing to say about there day... "What did you do at school today, Jacob?"
"Oh, nothing."
I used to live in Jackson, where there are lots of people of different races. Blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, but it wasn't until I moved here that I encountered such racism from white people. One of my favorite comments from someone was, "God, you must be really relieved to have moved here, because they don't have so many black people in the school systems."
What kind of white trash says that bull?
I've dated black people, Indians, Native Americans, and you people still have grown up with your sick, sadistic, racist mother and father's values. You judge people automatically on the way they speak, dress, and especially their skin color because one, it's how you were brought up, and two because you're stubborn. You don't want change. Change makes you uncomfortable and shows how ugly your hearts were at one point. I'm so dissapointed in you.
Private schools in jackson are a way to escape race. About 90 percent of the people there are white. Free education isn't good enough I guess. I went to public schools all my life and I've made great friends. You grow up and you aren't a blind idiot when it comes to going to college and realizing that there is a different, but it takes maturity to look beyond all of that. Obviously, "White Pride" your name proves that you fail in that category. And "White Is Right"? You stereotypical bastard. How dare you judge someone on the way that they type. You automatically assumed that just because they typed a certain way that they sold drugs. You're sick. How dare you say that. If you stand for all the people in Pearl MS, then Pearl MS might as well not exist. To hell with you.
Awww, go back to datin' every hooptie you see with a bulge in his pants and a low ridin' car. Nobody cares about you immature opinion.
OMG

United States

#40 Nov 29, 2013
OMG

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Mississipp... (Oct '10) 5 hr BigDan 59
Carli durr Myles Becker (Feb '14) Sep 2 Holley 2
Review: Ajfc Community Action Agency Sep 2 Reet stree 1
MS Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) Aug 25 fyi Jackson Missi... 1,986
Review: Expectations Too Aug '14 Linda Fisher Coleman 1
Mark Pace (Mar '11) Jun '14 Answere 2
Gays May '14 Jimbo 1
•••
•••
•••

Brookhaven Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Brookhaven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE