Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom. Full Story
Ga Girl 56

Roswell, GA

#2133 Dec 24, 2013
Merry Christmas to all in the old Homestead. I have no access to a computer where I live but think of you often. Growing up there, I have only wonderful memories. The best of all the places I have ever lived. Several states but my heart will always and forever be a Laurel girl. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.
Must

Tupelo, MS

#2134 Dec 24, 2013
Not everyone believes in that holiday just as they do not make the pledge.

The secret to a better life for all is keeping cultural traditions private and not force them on the public.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#2135 Dec 26, 2013
It seems to me, tho I've not read them all, that there are a few good posts here, pro and con. But if we don't salute or pledge allegiance to our flag, then that just serves to further break down faith in America. Our kids see this and sooner or later there will be no honor in our country but this is exactly what the opposing force is trying to do. Besides, there are a lot of dead soldiers who are asking,......"why!" This is a beautiful country, let's keep it that way ..(despite Obama.)
Synn

Tupelo, MS

#2136 Dec 27, 2013
"This is a beautiful country, let's keep it that way ..(despite Obama.)"
==========
It is not what the founding fathers made. They never required people to pledge or bow down to the leaders. We do not need a kingdom or strong national government. Let each have their freedom then they will fight for it. They will not fight for a leader or national tyranny.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#2137 Dec 27, 2013
Synn wrote:
==========
It is not what the founding fathers made. They never required people to pledge or bow down to the leaders. We do not need a kingdom or strong national government. Let each have their freedom then they will fight for it. They will not fight for a leader or national tyranny.
Sir,.......I made no mention of pledging or bowing down to (somebody's) leaders, only that I believe we should preserve faith in America through our children. If this is not done,.....then naturally, the opposite will prevail. I, for one, do not care for the "opposite."
Synn

Tupelo, MS

#2138 Dec 28, 2013
" I believe we should preserve faith in America through our children."
==========
Beliefs get you nowhere. Show the children that the system works by example or shut it down. At this point it does not work and is not worth fooling the children which is dishonest.

“Indians are not extinct!”

Since: Dec 13

Shiloh, TN

#2139 Dec 28, 2013
Synn wrote:
==========
Yes this was a beautiful country; then the white man came. You say founding fathers as if you think we were lost before the white man. We wanted freedom but the white man stole our land and put us in compounds. You are right about letting a man have his freedom; but the white man does not know this concept.

Shiloh, TN

#2140 Dec 28, 2013
Synn wrote:
" I believe we should preserve faith in America through our children."
==========
Beliefs get you nowhere. Show the children that the system works by example or shut it down. At this point it does not work and is not worth fooling the children which is dishonest.
You sound foolish and not informed. You sound indoctrinated by bad doctrine watch too much fox.

Shiloh, TN

#2141 Dec 28, 2013
snuffsmith wrote:
<quoted text> like I said. I don't do those things for the gov. And as for obamass care . In not for it. And for my phone. Im not with that either. And if the f'n Muslim would guit trying to kill us. We wouldn't have to be searched by the tsa.
You have the right name as you are to be taken as serious as a cartoon.

Shiloh, TN

#2142 Dec 28, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
It seems to me, tho I've not read them all, that there are a few good posts here, pro and con. But if we don't salute or pledge allegiance to our flag, then that just serves to further break down faith in America. Our kids see this and sooner or later there will be no honor in our country but this is exactly what the opposing force is trying to do. Besides, there are a lot of dead soldiers who are asking,......"why!" This is a beautiful country, let's keep it that way ..(despite Obama.)
You can not be serious. No honor in a country where symbolism more important than the people. You see with clouded eyes and know little truth.
Synn

Tupelo, MS

#2143 Dec 28, 2013
Indian-Chief wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes this was a beautiful country; then the white man came. You say founding fathers as if you think we were lost before the white man. We wanted freedom but the white man stole our land and put us in compounds. You are right about letting a man have his freedom; but the white man does not know this concept.
==========
You are correct, might has made right as nature has practiced since the beginning of time. There were others before the American Indians. What happened to them?
Synn

Tupelo, MS

#2144 Dec 28, 2013
Indian-Chief wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound foolish and not informed. You sound indoctrinated by bad doctrine watch too much fox.
==========
There is no doctrine only humans treating themselves and others poorly. In a world of finite resources and over population you are only going to have more losers with growth.
Synn

Tupelo, MS

#2145 Dec 28, 2013
" You see with clouded eyes and know little truth."
==========
There is only perception.

Shiloh, TN

#2146 Dec 28, 2013
Synn wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
You are correct, might has made right as nature has practiced since the beginning of time. There were others before the American Indians. What happened to them?
The Indians were from the beginning. If you speak of evolution? Then you have your answer. You are well aware of what happened to the Indians. To say there are murders and thievery everyday does not excuse the actions.

Shiloh, TN

#2147 Dec 28, 2013
Synn wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
There is no doctrine only humans treating themselves and others poorly. In a world of finite resources and over population you are only going to have more losers with growth.
You are correct. Sorry may have mistook the direction you come from as so many blame all wrong on one individual. as if all was well before he appeared.
Synn

Tupelo, MS

#2148 Dec 28, 2013
Indian-Chief wrote:
<quoted text> The Indians were from the beginning. If you speak of evolution? Then you have your answer. You are well aware of what happened to the Indians. To say there are murders and thievery everyday does not excuse the actions.
History and DNA studies show different waves of populations in America. Several from Europe and several from Asia. Why they died off is not exactly clear it seems climate has a effect.

Humans have an illusion of morals and ethics. In the real world people try to survive the best they can. Knowledge gives them power.
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#2149 Dec 28, 2013
Indian-Chief wrote:
<quoted text>
You can not be serious. No honor in a country where symbolism more important than the people. You see with clouded eyes and know little truth.
You are reading your own meaning into my post and rather inaccurately at that. Maybe....just maybe you've clouded "your" eyes with one too many smokes on your pipe! Now "Tonto",...take a run'n jump for Scout and hope that he doesn't move! HA ha ha ha

Shiloh, TN

#2150 Dec 29, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You are reading your own meaning into my post and rather inaccurately at that. Maybe....just maybe you've clouded "your" eyes with one too many smokes on your pipe! Now "Tonto",...take a run'n jump for Scout and hope that he doesn't move! HA ha ha ha
You Post:

1. You say that there are good post against forcing people to pledge. Then why be for forcing people to do it? That is the essence of what the judge is doing.

2. How can people being coerced to pledge cause others to have faith?

3. Most soldiers I know are for people excising their rights. Even ones they do not agree with. You see that is what this country stands for that sets it apart and above the rest. Not sure why the soldiers would have a change of heart after they die. Never talked to a dead soldier.

4. Obama is not the worse one in government. To suppose our woes are attributed to him to any greater degree then any others is silly.

5. I ride a Toyota. Ha! Ha!

Shiloh, TN

#2151 Dec 29, 2013
Synn wrote:
<quoted text>
History and DNA studies show different waves of populations in America. Several from Europe and several from Asia. Why they died off is not exactly clear it seems climate has a effect.
Humans have an illusion of morals and ethics. In the real world people try to survive the best they can. Knowledge gives them power.
You must not be talking of Pre-Colombian Era.
Luck

Tupelo, MS

#2152 Dec 29, 2013
Indian-Chief wrote:
<quoted text>You must not be talking of Pre-Colombian Era.
==========
There is evidence as far back as 40,000 years. Humans killing woolly mammoths with spears.
The earth was not populated by nations or loyal beings. Rather it was separate people trying to survive. There is even evidence of Neanderthal and human mix.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Expectations Too Nov 29 Anon 2
Duncans shooting Oct '14 cobaxinchic76 1
new to Brookhaven (Jul '08) Sep '14 moonlight drive 16
Who do you support for U.S. House in Mississipp... (Oct '10) Sep '14 BigDan 59
Carli durr Myles Becker (Feb '14) Sep '14 Holley 2
Review: Ajfc Community Action Agency Sep '14 Reet stree 1
Mark Pace (Mar '11) Jun '14 Answere 2
Brookhaven Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web