Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom. Full Story
youyo

Tupelo, MS

#2061 Jul 1, 2013
HerpADerp wrote:
Still irrelevant comments, so welcome to obscurity.
Epicurus taught moderation and the ancient Greeks had a solution for democracy as they each year voted to banish the most popular for 10 years. The idea is people are equal in government no one should have more power than the next. One vote is just one vote not the power to control others. Under those conditions there would be no Kennedy, Bush, Obama, or Ronald Reagan.
NoWops

Ringwood, NJ

#2062 Jul 1, 2013
youyo wrote:
"Make your comments relevant to the topic, or you'll be ignored by me like you've been ignored by so many others."
==========
You ignored life since you have been born. Your schooling has been Skinner/Pavlov conditioning.
Your opinions are meaningless.
WesleyD

Ringwood, NJ

#2063 Jul 1, 2013
Horn Lake or Walls.
HerpADerp

Booneville, MS

#2064 Jul 1, 2013
NoWops wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinions are meaningless.
I am a shell of my former self now that you've said that. Your words, they wound so well.
Roger Wicker

Biloxi, MS

#2065 Jul 2, 2013
mickey123 wrote:
Don't we have rights in this country?
this is a test to see what happens and prove a point

Since: Jul 13

Biloxi, MS

#2066 Jul 2, 2013
This is a test to prove a point and nothing more

Since: Jul 13

Biloxi, MS

#2067 Jul 2, 2013
I am not the U.S. Senator with the same name, THis is a dummy account set up to prove that you can sign up here and post under any name you so choose and your real identity is shielded from all but Law Enforcement
Mini me

Jackson, MS

#2073 Jul 24, 2013
I think I was in the 3rd grade when we had to learn the new Pledge of Allegiance. They added"under God". All the girls could remember but the boys would stumble over it every time. That was in early 1950's. Cant believe my old brain can stii remember!
Rework

Tupelo, MS

#2074 Jul 24, 2013
Mini me wrote:
I think I was in the 3rd grade when we had to learn the new Pledge of Allegiance. They added"under God". All the girls could remember but the boys would stumble over it every time. That was in early 1950's. Cant believe my old brain can stii remember!
Take Cover! Still hiding under your desk in case of war?

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#2075 Jul 25, 2013
National Briefing | South

Mississippi: Judge Punished for Ordering Pledge

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: June 9, 2011

A judge will be reprimanded and fined $100 for jailing a lawyer who refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in his courtroom. The State Supreme Court affirmed the recommendation from the Commission on Judicial Performance against Chancellor Talmadge Littlejohn of New Albany. The commission said that Judge Littlejohn acknowledged violating the rights of the lawyer, Danny Lampley, in October with a contempt of court order.
Danny

Biloxi, MS

#2076 Jul 30, 2013
mentul_autocrat wrote:
<quoted text> i love the "one nation under god" and people scream that this country wasn't founded on christian beliefs.
"under god"blah blah was ADDED under Eisenhower as a perceived way to combat the Godless Soviet Union,it has NOTHING TO DO with the original pledge ,period,,IGNORANT MORON
alicenholmes

Ashburn, VA

#2077 Jul 30, 2013
And cuss'n & name-call'n somehow raises our IQ.......hmmmm (ps:this was a blanket statement)
Propaganda

Tupelo, MS

#2078 Jul 30, 2013
If someone is wrong let them know it anything less is not doing them a service. Children have been manipulated in public school with Skinner/ Pavlov conditioning and the government has been soft on ignorance so it can have wage slaves that pay taxes.
keyman-

Arlington, MA

#2080 Aug 5, 2013
mentul_autocrat wrote:
<quoted text> i love the "one nation under god" and people scream that this country wasn't founded on christian beliefs.
I believe the "under God" part was added sometime in the 50's
Fred Flintstone

Hollywood, FL

#2081 Aug 5, 2013
HerpADerp wrote:
<quoted text>I am a shell of my former self now that you've said that. Your words, they wound so well.
CTR, I see you! OLO!
BWD

Duluth, GA

#2082 Aug 6, 2013
I used to say it with pride until I got to thinking, what does pledging allegiance to a flag mean, anyway? It has long been forgotten that we are a republic. I mean, govt school American "history" and govt "teachers" will tell you we are a "Democracy" and probably don't even know what a "republic" is. If you read something in a history book about the reasons behind the civil war 70 yrs ago it would be completely different from the garbage they put out today.

Govt school U.S. history/govt classes are designed for one thing, to make the children little, obedient govt servants. Don't question their authority, because they know better than you.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#2083 Aug 7, 2013
Under god doesn't have anything to do with Christianity, god could be construed to mean anything anyone wants it to be, god could mean a tree to a druid.
frthy

Tupelo, MS

#2084 Aug 8, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
Under god doesn't have anything to do with Christianity, god could be construed to mean anything anyone wants it to be, god could mean a tree to a druid.
==========
Except in this case God is spelled with a capital.

“Uzi Does It”

UZILAND

#2085 Aug 13, 2013
frthy wrote:
<quoted text>
==========
Except in this case God is spelled with a capital.
Still could be Allah or Buddha, a tree, a unicorn, etc. The constitution is quite clear on this, the state cannot endorse a religion.
Pirthan

Tupelo, MS

#2086 Aug 13, 2013
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>Still could be Allah or Buddha, a tree, a unicorn, etc. The constitution is quite clear on this, the state cannot endorse a religion.
==========
But it does, Secular Humanism. The Constitution has been trashed by the Government all three branches and few want to defend it. We have a state run by tyranny and the sheeple just go along. Few want the responsibility to take care of themselves like the founding fathers expected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. House in Mississipp... (Oct '10) Sep 10 c ainsworth 58
Carli durr Myles Becker (Feb '14) Sep 2 Holley 2
Review: Ajfc Community Action Agency Sep 2 Reet stree 1
Review: Expectations Too Aug '14 Linda Fisher Coleman 1
Mark Pace (Mar '11) Jun '14 Answere 2
Gays May '14 Jimbo 1
Theft May '14 Jim 1
•••
•••
•••

Brookhaven Jobs

•••
•••