Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciting Pledge of Allegiance

A Mississippi judge jailed a lawyer for several hours for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, ordering the attorney to "purge himself" of contempt by standing and repeating the oath like the rest of the courtroom. Full Story

“Simple educated country woman”

Since: Dec 11

America

#1849 Dec 9, 2012
So, responsibility is your moral thought? It is alright to be responsible only for yourself and no one else? I suppose that you can take complete responsibility for you. You own your own property, provide your own roads, manufacture your own clothing and food, take care of your own waste removal.

Perhaps responsibility fit more in an ethic than a moral sense?
Truth

Dallas, TX

#1850 Dec 9, 2012
What the heck does the person get that makes the last post on this thread? Must be a new car or a case of beer.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1851 Dec 10, 2012
"Perhaps responsibility fit more in an ethic than a moral sense? "
==========
If you want services you are responsible to pay for them. It is the moral thing to do. Does a freeloader sound moral to you?
Ron Dionne

Brookhaven, MS

#1852 Dec 10, 2012
Truth wrote:
What the heck does the person get that makes the last post on this thread? Must be a new car or a case of beer.
Just in case there is a case of beer. I'm in....!!!!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#1853 Dec 10, 2012
Your attention please. We are producing a new tv show to exploit the most ignorant people in the United States. Our filters flagged this post for favorable content. Please respond if interested.
George

Toronto, Canada

#1854 Dec 13, 2012
Lee Gee

Medford, NY

#1855 Dec 18, 2012
mickey123 wrote:
Don't we have rights in this country?
You have rights, but not the right to take from others in the name of 'govt. benefits'.
Watson Moss

Yuba City, CA

#1856 Dec 20, 2012
mentul_autocrat wrote:
<quoted text> i love the "one nation under god" and people scream that this country wasn't founded on christian beliefs.
You do know that the pledge wasn't written until 1892 don't you? I am pretty sure that every single one of our founding fathers were long dead and burried by that time.It's pretty easy to inform yourself on these matters and not come across as so completely ignorant of US history.
Watson Moss

Yuba City, CA

#1857 Dec 20, 2012
nuff said wrote:
Guess its alright for the lawyer not to salute the flag. Our president doesn't!!!! Have you seen the pictures with everyone else having hands over hearts when the pledge was being made? Not O'Bama, he holds his hands over his crotch, guess that is why it is being referred to as a "crotch salute". Disgusting piece of work!!!
You certainly are an easily influenced simpleton.I have issues with the President on many issues but repeating this made up garbage does nothing but dumb down any possible debate.There are hundreds of pictures of him saluting the flag but still the liars out there will find one where his hand is down instead of up and in the face of hundreds of photos to the contrary will say something as resoundingly stupid as "our president doesn't(salute the flag)" I don't think that most people im MS are as stupid as you,or as dishonest.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1858 Dec 20, 2012
Explore the original 13 Amendment that never was repealed. It tells that no american can hold foreign title yet all lawyers are Squires as they pledge to the BAR.British Accredited Registry.

However this has not been proven as the legal community defines Bar as the railing between the spectators and those involved in the action.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1859 Dec 20, 2012
It doesn't stand for British Accredited Registry. It is merely a reference to the wooden railing (or bar) that separates the court gallery from the area reserved only for the lawyers and judges. In order to get past (pass)the bar and into the area reserved for judges and lawyers, you had to take a test (Bar exam) to prove that you are sufficiently familiar with the law.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1860 Dec 20, 2012
You do not have to be a member of the bar to defend yourself or address the court. They we have the idea of accepting the judge as an authority and agreeing you are a property of the state if you call yourself by all Capital letters such as the government identifies ownership by.
Rod Knox

Tupelo, MS

#1862 Dec 31, 2012
And, BTW, the "Pledge of Allegiance" was written by northern leaders during Reconstruction to humiliate southern leaders. I wonder what Robert E Lee thought about being forced to stand and repeat the "Pledge?" Of course, "under God" was not part of the pledge then. I guess that the Yankees were snickering and laughing at the Southern boys when they had to take the oath to vote.

Maybe this judge was a Yankee.
eric

United States

#1863 Jan 1, 2013
Watson Moss wrote:
<quoted text>You do know that the pledge wasn't written until 1892 don't you? I am pretty sure that every single one of our founding fathers were long dead and burried by that time.It's pretty easy to inform yourself on these matters and not come across as so completely ignorant of US history.
"Under God" wasn't added until the 50s.
Mike Oxlong

Georgetown, KY

#1866 Jan 3, 2013
When was "I'm A Little Tea Pot" written? Was short and stout always in it? John Adams wouldn't have stood for that!
jayco

Ocean Springs, MS

#1867 Jan 5, 2013
A lawyer is an officer of the court and should demonstrate fidelity to the court, not to the flag. Even though the judge may have had his reasons I think this was wrong headed.
Bayside Dev

Sacramento, CA

#1869 Jan 7, 2013
jayco wrote:
A lawyer is an officer of the court and should demonstrate fidelity to the court, not to the flag. Even though the judge may have had his reasons I think this was wrong headed.
Totally
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1870 Jan 7, 2013
The judge does not make the rules for the citizens. In a democratic republic the legislators make the laws.

The judge is a public servant.
More Guns

Duluth, GA

#1871 Jan 7, 2013
If you don't like America, leave. If you don't like what America stands for, leave. If you don't like the bill of rights, leave. No one is keeping you in a place that you don't love. You are free to leave whenever you choose.
anon

Tupelo, MS

#1872 Jan 7, 2013
"You are free to leave whenever you choose. "
==========
You are free to step n the flag and free to not pledge to it freedom and liberty is the right to bad mouth the country and even have a revolution if the Government imposes tyranny. You have a right to have a guns to defend yourself from the government.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Expectations Too Nov 29 Anon 2
Duncans shooting Oct '14 cobaxinchic76 1
new to Brookhaven (Jul '08) Sep '14 moonlight drive 16
Who do you support for U.S. House in Mississipp... (Oct '10) Sep '14 BigDan 59
Carli durr Myles Becker (Feb '14) Sep '14 Holley 2
Review: Ajfc Community Action Agency Sep '14 Reet stree 1
Mark Pace (Mar '11) Jun '14 Answere 2

Flood Warning for Lincoln County was issued at December 26 at 1:08PM CST

Brookhaven Dating
Find my Match