'I am a drunken murderer'

'I am a drunken murderer'

There are 114 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 28, 2008, titled 'I am a drunken murderer'. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Last April, Thomas Postulka, 46, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for running over Francis and Helen Lilly, an elderly couple crossing the street on the way to their Brookfield church.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
u gotta be kidding

Hoffman Estates, IL

#1 Dec 28, 2008
The state sees this as business and revenue. Anybody check to see what Rod's and Jesse's cuts are from the company that sells those starting devices?
Brown Betty

Chicago, IL

#2 Dec 28, 2008
I think it's a great way to get revenue AND it and keeps the public safe from idiotic, self-centered drunk drivers who don't give a care about whether they hurt or kill anyone else.

Now if we could just come up with a device for drug users too ...
Big Chief

Sterling Heights, MI

#4 Dec 28, 2008
Somewhere in all of this is a new business startup to get bar patrons home safely.
Nancy Mortonthal

Westchester, IL

#5 Dec 28, 2008
This will hopefully deter some of these selfish people who insist upon drinking too much alcohol and then operating a motor vehicle. Driving is a privilege these selfish people must forfeit for allowing their atrocious anti-social behaviors to endanger innocent people. Obey the laws and you will have no problems.
Jennifer

Plainfield, IL

#6 Dec 28, 2008
It's about time.....
Jennifer

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 28, 2008
Good laws, but there's nothing to stop these people from begging friends and family for use of another car. No doubt they'll make up a story, like:

* the interlock device is frozen
* it's not working right
* it is working right but all I had was one wine cooler at home, I swear
* I need a car because the baby needs formula
* I need a car because a friend of mine is threatening to kill herself
* I need a car because I HAVE TO go to the bar to pick up my daughter/boyfriend/mother who is drunk and needs a ride
* it's really an emergency, I swear

Addicts make up a million stories to get what they want. I know, because I'm the daughter of a drug abuser.

If you know someone who is a chronic alcoholic, please do not ever let them use your car. Don't buy the teary-eyed stories. Offer to drive them somewhere, or tell them to take a cab.
Nancy Mortonthal

Westchester, IL

#8 Dec 28, 2008
Big Chief wrote:
Somewhere in all of this is a new business startup to get bar patrons home safely.
Alcoholics are drug addicts. They are selfish and do not want to give up anything in the pursuit of their drug of choice. No business start-up will end their selfish behaviors.

“LONELY BEACON OF TRUTH”

Since: Oct 07

Drifter

#11 Dec 28, 2008
Another reason to leave Illinois.
Thank yoou MADD LIES

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Dec 28, 2008
Thank you for shedding some clear thoughts on the issue "MADD LIES"! I seriously appreciate your comment because it actually addresses the issue of the public's illogical assumptions on individuals who drink and drive.
Kevin

La Grange, IL

#14 Dec 28, 2008
MADD LIES wrote:
The article and this law implies that a first time offender is as bad as a person that commits homicide through intoxicated use of a motor vehicle.
Remember, don't eat a piece of bread and blow into the ever reliable BAIID device. It has been proven you will blow .03 after consuming no alcohol and eating a piece of bread.
Legislators in Illinois trip over themselves to pander to this lying MADD organization. What a joke.
All those that claim I am pro drunk driving, look out. They are now going after the cell phone users and speeders. The 2,000 fine for speeding and cell phone use are right around the corner.
Keep blaming the drinkers for societal ills when the SOBER speeders and SOBER innattentive's are doing over 65% of the killing on our roadways.
Remember, MADD profits from every arrestee regardless if innocent or not innocent.
When will we strip MADD of the non profit charity status. They flaunt their ability to influence legislation which violates rules for being a non profit.
www.duiblog.com
www.motorists.org
www.ridl.us
www.getmadd.com
I've had the pleasure of working with MADD several times in the past. Their members are truly committed to stopping drunk driving. Why? Because most of them have been the victims of drunk drivers. It is incredible that in this day there are still people who are protective of drunk drivers and attack organizations like MADD. I love all of these conspiracy theories about how MADD wants to outlaw everything. Get a live and don't drink and drive. It's not difficult, but what you do is stupid. I say if you drink and drive you lose your car. Whether it belongs to you or a friend or relative. If you drive it you lose it. I'm sure you or your friends and relatives will be very happy paying for a car they no longer own so that you can drink and drive. But it has to stop somehow. Look at all of these families who have had members killed by drunk drivers and tell them it's not fair to you. You'll look like a bigger IDIOT than you are.
Thank you MADD LIES

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Dec 28, 2008
Get a live and don't drink and drive. It's not difficult, but what you do is stupid. I say if you drink and drive you lose your car.

Kevin- you're telling me you have NEVER, not even ONCE in your life, had a drink or two and been close/over the legal limit and drove? Really. What about a friend or family member- do you know any single other human being that has ever made this mistake? Would you say all this to their face- about how they are stupid and it's "not difficult"?

Have you ever driven over the speed limit? Have you ever driven while angry? Have you ever driven while talking on your cell phone or texting? Have you ever driven when you were really tired? Have you ever driven while distracted? These are all causes of fatalities and accidents, but I don't see organizations being formed to end these, especially ones that operate on a non-profit status but miraculously obtain millions of dollars in taxpayer money. While drunk driving is nothing to be applauded by any means, it's people like you who have no capacity for logical arguments that spread the uninformed and unintelligent opinions that drunk drivers are stupid and deserve such strict punishment, whilst you and millions upon millions of other drivers commit acts that are right up there in the causation of accidents, etc. on a daily basis. How about you get a life, and a better education.
Sam

Champaign, IL

#16 Dec 28, 2008
The US federal debt is rising each year. The government spends more than it taxes, and borrows from foreign governments to make up the difference. That money has to be paid back, in the future with interest.

Now here comes the Tribune. It has declared bankruptcy. The taxpayers must protect this bloated company with its oak-encrusted high rise on Michigan Avenue.

Reporters have thankfully been fired. More should be.
mbspringer

New Gloucester, ME

#17 Dec 28, 2008
Why would anyone defend drinking and driving?
LET ME GUESS, IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION?
Troll

Sugar Grove, IL

#18 Dec 28, 2008
MADD Lies and you would never do that would you.
MADD LIES wrote:
The article and this law implies that a first time offender is as bad as a person that commits homicide through intoxicated use of a motor vehicle.
Remember, don't eat a piece of bread and blow into the ever reliable BAIID device. It has been proven you will blow .03 after consuming no alcohol and eating a piece of bread.
Legislators in Illinois trip over themselves to pander to this lying MADD organization. What a joke.
All those that claim I am pro drunk driving, look out. They are now going after the cell phone users and speeders. The 2,000 fine for speeding and cell phone use are right around the corner.
Keep blaming the drinkers for societal ills when the SOBER speeders and SOBER innattentive's are doing over 65% of the killing on our roadways.
Remember, MADD profits from every arrestee regardless if innocent or not innocent.
When will we strip MADD of the non profit charity status. They flaunt their ability to influence legislation which violates rules for being a non profit.
www.duiblog.com
www.motorists.org
www.ridl.us
www.getmadd.com
Troll

Sugar Grove, IL

#19 Dec 28, 2008
Which amendment would that be? I'm asking because you make a statement without anything to back it up. I know what is going to happen, you will respond not with a reasonable statement but with name calling.
mbspringer wrote:
Why would anyone defend drinking and driving?
LET ME GUESS, IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION?

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#20 Dec 28, 2008
Don't drink and drive.
It's that simple, simpleton
Sheesh,.....
How dumb can you be?
:)
Rhonin

Santa Ana, CA

#21 Dec 28, 2008
The only idiot on here is you. MADD is a idiot organization that only cares about ITSELF! You want to get the "real drunks" off of the road? Increase the alcohol level back to where it belongs. Then actually enforce the laws WE ALREADY HAVE! Oh, and don't only go after the easy ones so that the numbers look good. That is how the state normally operates. I know people with 5 or more dui's and they are STILL DRIVING with court approval. Now stop pandering to self centered MADD and get a life.
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
I've had the pleasure of working with MADD several times in the past. Their members are truly committed to stopping drunk driving. Why? Because most of them have been the victims of drunk drivers. It is incredible that in this day there are still people who are protective of drunk drivers and attack organizations like MADD. I love all of these conspiracy theories about how MADD wants to outlaw everything. Get a live and don't drink and drive. It's not difficult, but what you do is stupid. I say if you drink and drive you lose your car. Whether it belongs to you or a friend or relative. If you drive it you lose it. I'm sure you or your friends and relatives will be very happy paying for a car they no longer own so that you can drink and drive. But it has to stop somehow. Look at all of these families who have had members killed by drunk drivers and tell them it's not fair to you. You'll look like a bigger IDIOT than you are.
Cal

United States

#22 Dec 28, 2008
Your editorial group should talk with marketing. Reducing drunken driving is very important as you editorial states. I think the ad of the opposite page is mis-placed to say the least. The old girl looks like she is about to fall off the stairs with her Guiness in hand. Thank God she is not driving!
Rhonin

Santa Ana, CA

#23 Dec 28, 2008
Actually fairly difficult. 99.9% of the people don't live within walking distance to where they "go out". I would be willing to bet that at least 90% of the people leaving a bar or after having dinner with a couple of drinks are dui. These people aren't the ones causing most of the accidents, but let's arrest them anyway because MADD wants us to and our idiot politicians who drive drunk all of the time, need more revenue.
loose cannon wrote:
Don't drink and drive.
It's that simple, simpleton
Sheesh,.....
How dumb can you be?
:)
Truth about it

Warrenville, IL

#24 Dec 28, 2008
The forth and fifth admendments are violate everytime some is stopped and suspected of DUI. The lying cheating no good wothless piece of **** cop decides if you guilty, not the courts. The is no Due Process. You are guilty period. You have no forth admendment rights to improper serch and seisuue, no fifth admendment right to Due process or double jeopardy. Cops make big money off the commissions they get for each DUI arrest, why do they get commission? Same reason salemen do they bring in revenue and get their cut. Supream court has rules not that any of this is constitution, but that the constitution can be violated because the crime is so bad. What other crimes have they ever said that about? MADD has really done a great snow job. Do not for any reason drive after midnight anywhere in the burbs, because you will be arrested for dui, no matter what the facts. And once arrested, you cannot bring out the truth in court, because you have no right to a fair trial. Even if you could you still have to deal with a suspesded licence. Drive on it and you go to jail. As more and more regular people get caught up in ths BS hopefully it will change and common since will be restored.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) 13 hr Four Seasons Movers 701
Missing Mail 13 hr Resident 2
News Chicago: My kinda town 21 hr bozo 1
Why is melrose starting to look like maywood ? (Oct '15) Thu Brazer 5
who else blames mexicans for Melrose Park's dem... (Nov '13) Thu Brazer 10
Can we please get rid of all the Mexicans in Me... Thu Geronimo 20
Summers around the corner do we need Mexicans i... Thu pete 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brookfield Mortgages