Brookfield Zoo marks its 75th anniversary

Full story: Chicago Tribune

If there were some way to tell her, the late Edith Rockefeller McCormick almost certainly would be proud to know that the poop of every Southern hairy-nosed wombat living in North America is sent on a regular basis to Brookfield Zoo .
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Feb 15, 2011
null

United States

#1 Jun 30, 2009
A terrific day out in nature! This is a family memory factory - you will remember the day forever.

Go and Enjoy!
japa

Streamwood, IL

#2 Jun 30, 2009
I have a membership. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's like $100, part is tax deductible and if you have a family it pays itself off in a couple visits.

I have a family with 3 young children and I dont feel like spending $50 on just a few hours (their time limit before one gets cranky and the others get tired). So each time we go we just go for about 3 hours and focus on one section of the park.

It really has changed from 15-25 years ago when I went as a child
Angel

Aurora, IL

#3 Jul 1, 2009
As a Brookfield kid, I practically grew up in the zoo. I love being able to take my own kids there now.
Just Sayin

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 1, 2009
No mention of Cookie??? He has been there for 75 years.
some guy

Barrington, IL

#5 Jul 1, 2009
Do the right thing :

Go online and become a Brookfield Zoo member. If you visit the zoo one time, you will practically pay for the membership.

I am no radical, but I feel the animals need and deserve our help.
gorge

Palatine, IL

#6 Jul 1, 2009
thats cool
Lynne

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 1, 2009
$8 to park.$12 admission fee.$9 for a 2" hamburger with a bun so dry you knew it was made the day before....

Stick to the Lincoln Park Zoo
lennny

United States

#8 Jul 1, 2009
The Zoo food is not as horrable as some are led to believe. It's not served on fine china and silver plated utensils, but? All kidding aside, support Brookfield Zoo (all zoo's in fact). Some of the things I see still wants me to come back. It's more fun with the kids (grand children). Mild weather makes for an easier walk.

Zoo Member and glad to be one.
Oak Park Lefty

Edmond, OK

#9 Jul 1, 2009
One of Chicagoland's (many, many) great institutions.

I have many fond memories of my folks taking me there and also the Trailside Museum at Thatcher and Chicago Avenue in River Forest.

Great to know countless others of all generations can continue to enjoy real culture back to nature-style in the middle of the city at both places!
Quit

United States

#10 Jul 1, 2009
With $17 million in state funds going to the zoo for infrastructure improvements, admission should be free for all Illinois residents.
daytripper

Roseboro, NC

#11 Jul 1, 2009
Love Brookfield Zoo I take my grandchildren every summer, When I was a kid I went at least 4xs a year great fun and memories(Love the elephants)
Americas Best Zoos Author

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jul 2, 2009
Congrats, Brookfield Zoo!
I love this zoo. It's truly one of the very best zoos in the Midwest, and indeed, in the nation.

It's rich history not only includes being the first US zoo with giant pandas, but I believe they were the last US zoo to exhibit duck-billed platypuses, an animal I've never seen in person!

With Tropic World, Habitat Africa, Living Coast, The Swamp, Fragile Kingdom, Australia House, and other great exhibits, this will be a great zoo into the future.

Allen Nyhuis, Coauthor: America's Best Zoos
born in the usa

Chapmanville, WV

#14 Feb 14, 2011
Just Sayin wrote:
No mention of Cookie??? He has been there for 75 years.
last time i went thay just made ziggie a place to go outside it was so sad watching him chain to the wall all them yrs yes it was in the 70s
Noah

Aurora, IL

#15 Feb 15, 2011
I just need 2 of each.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr Duane Mills 49,476
Summit village manager resigns over unauthorize... 4 hr INJUSTICE 7
Village of Broadview Website DOA??? 7 hr The Watcher 1
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 10 hr annonymos 44
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 12 hr newpoly 1,903
Ed Moody fights West Nile (Sep '13) 17 hr its time 16
Look what Tay-Lard Fox said about Huck Finn wai... 20 hr Patrice 2
•••
•••
•••

Brookfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000