Family Asked To Pay For Guardrail After Son's Death | Ohio News Network (ONN)

Full story: 10TV WBNS

Earl and Mildred Mathis lost their son in March, when he crashed into a guardrail and was decapitated.
Comments
41 - 51 of 51 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
threewin

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

I only have one thing to say about this story.. There HAS to be more to it than what was reported in this article. When we get all the information I'm sure it will make some sense. Another great job or reporting......one side ONN, Columbus Dispatch, Channel 10.
mapleman

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

Just a shame how bad our government is getting. They can rebuild Iraq with our tax dollars but are begging dead people's families to pay for stuff? Sad.
FeliciaB

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2010

Judged:

SooperFunky wrote:
He had to have been driving like a crazy man to die like that there. I feel bad his parents have to foot the bill, though. He should have had some sort of insurance so if you do die under these circumstances your loved ones aren't left to pay it.
Have you ever lived in the Cleveland area? it says the son had his accident in March--still quite snowy that way usually!! The accident also occurred near the snow belt which means MORE SNOW than other areas of town. I feel bad for the family and hope that they are not seeing these awful remarks about their child (even if he was an adult he was still their son!) BE NICE!!!!
Potsy

Gallipolis, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Judged:

Have any of you jerks with you negative comments ever lost a loved one in an auto accident. It is really hard to deal with. You know nothing about this family. The person that died has already paid with his life. The parents have already paid with losing their son...As long as this drags on they will never get closure, ODOT can write it off as a loss.
cosmo123

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2010

Thats why I do not live in Ohio any more; People there do not obey the law its, do what ever they can to, get by. Everyone is correct; He should have, not been behind the wheel of a car; It could have beeen anyone on, this site he hit head on instead of the gaurd rail. Go Buckeyes;
Tabby

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2010

That is horrible that ODOT would even consider sending them or anyone else a bill. With the amount of money we pay towards taxes, this should be ODOTs responsibility to pay. Let these people move on with what is going to be a very difficult journey ahead of them.
2Halley

Nelsonville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

This is beyond ridiculous! I think the state of Ohio can suck up a $900 guardrail bill and leave this family alone. Just a form of harassment. Wonder how the person who is behind these letters sleeps at night. I think if someone passes the state tax dollars then pay for any ODOT damages, leave these families alone to grieve. But then again that would make too much sense now wouldn't it??
Kate

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Brook Park is the New Rome of Cleveland. Trust me. When I got in an accident up there ... they dragged me into court just to pay court costs when I could have paid it by mail .. but they refused because they make EVERYONE go to court to pay the court costs. That city is worse than New Rome. It is the worst. This act of pure stupidity doesn't surprise me from that stupid little town.
2 cents

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2010

Frank wrote:
<quoted text>So what you are saying is if your kid was driving without insurance and tore up somebody elses property and died doing it,you would not pay because he died,right?WRONG!!!!
Is this Dave?
2 cents

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2010

Net Guru wrote:
I'll pay the bill if it'll get all you people to shut up...
I have some bills will you pay them for me?...

Just kiddin' Net. >:)
kellie

Middleport, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2010

I'd say the bills need to be stopped. They shouldn't have to pay for something when they didn't even know what was coming. Its bad enough their son died.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brook Park Discussions

Search the Brook Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 min Pope Che Reagan Christ I 29,344
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Sat Go Blue Forever 2,218
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
Donald and Terry Johnson (Jan '14) Jul 20 Old classmate and friend 15
Revamped Brook Park Home Days haven't drawn or ... Jul 20 tim 1
1119 Deitsch resignation nov 19 2013 at board m... Jul 16 FP parent 1
pelosi is wrong and raping womens choices Jul 11 tommorrow 1
•••

Rip Current Statement for Cuyahoga County was issued at July 28 at 4:56AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Brook Park Jobs

•••