Family Asked To Pay For Guardrail After Son's Death | Ohio News Network (ONN)

Full story: 10TV WBNS

Earl and Mildred Mathis lost their son in March, when he crashed into a guardrail and was decapitated.
Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Dec 3, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
2 cents

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

dave your an idiot. do us all a favor and stop sucking up our oxygen.
pom pom

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

2 cents wrote:
sorry the guy died, but if he had insurance, it would have been paid for...why should we pay for it as tax payers??
SooperFunky

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

He had to have been driving like a crazy man to die like that there. I feel bad his parents have to foot the bill, though. He should have had some sort of insurance so if you do die under these circumstances your loved ones aren't left to pay it.
mpooh

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

If his parents are in their 70" I think its a safe bet he was an adult, Therfore I dont think its his parents responsibility that he did not have insurance.
SooperFunky

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

mpooh wrote:
If his parents are in their 70" I think its a safe bet he was an adult, Therfore I dont think its his parents responsibility that he did not have insurance.
Next of kin, I believe. If someone has something to settle with your estate after you pass, it becomes their responsibility. Someone correct me if that isn't how it is.
I see stupid people

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

If he did not have insurance then he legally was not allowed to drive. Was he driving a car owned by his parents? If so they should be responsible for the bill, not the taxpayers. As far as suing ODOT, what the heck for? Their son damaged a guardrail owned by ODOT and the taxpayers of Ohio, he should be responsible for the cost whether he died or not. Sorry for your loss, but just because your son was killed in a crash that was his own fault does not give the right to walk away from the monetary damages.
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

2 cents wrote:
So what you are saying is if your kid was driving without insurance and tore up somebody elses property and died doing it,you would not pay because he died,right?WRONG!!!!
cstealers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

I can't believe what people are writing here. It just shows you how greedy our world is. The fact is they lost a son no matter how old he was and regardless of if he had insurance. I think someone should look into how ridiculous that it is of odot to even ask for these parents to pay this. If i was the parents I would ignore the bill and if they kept sending it i would tell them where to stick it. As for everyone else posting comments about the parents having to pay the bill grow up and get a clue.
sally mae

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

cstealers wrote:
I can't believe what people are writing here. It just shows you how greedy our world is. The fact is they lost a son no matter how old he was and regardless of if he had insurance. I think someone should look into how ridiculous that it is of odot to even ask for these parents to pay this. If i was the parents I would ignore the bill and if they kept sending it i would tell them where to stick it. As for everyone else posting comments about the parents having to pay the bill grow up and get a clue.
so lets say, for argument sake, if he hit another car and damaged that persons car, should that person have to pay for the damage he caused...?? I think not, sorry the guy died, but everyone is responsible for what they do in life, good or BAD! It was selfish of him to not have insurance and if something happened to him, who did he think would pay for it??...that is why everyone should have insurance, especially burial insurance...why make your loved ones pay for something after you have died, especially if they are broke...not fair, you just never know
Reader 10

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

If these people are in their 70's, then I assume their son was an adult over 18. If he had no insurance or any money in his estate then the matter is closed. People are not responsible for the debts of deceased relatives. These folks should tell ODOT to go pound sand and contact their state representative about getting these government goofs off of their backs.
Reader 10

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

dave wrote:
pay the bill....your son crashed into it and tore it up.... now pay up...was he also driving around without car insurance?
If you are so worried about it why don't you pay it.
Lady Bug

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

As an adult, the son was responsible for damages, etc. If he had no estate, why should his elderly parents pay for anything (they wouldn't be liable for credit card bills, etc. unless they were cosigners)? So much money is wasted,$800+ is a drop in the bucket for ODOT but not for this elderly couple. If the damage was $500 or less, ODOT said they would not have requested payment. Let it go and let this family move on after the terrible loss of their son (it doesn't matter whether he was at fault or not; it was a terrible thing to happen). I'm sure all the McNastys would make a stink if they received a bill like that and say they were not responsible.
John

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

He did the damage and needs to be billed, which is typical and standard practices, so unless the estate claims and proves the poor roads or someone else caused the accident, the estate is on the hook for the bill. If there were no estate assets, then the estate will need file that they have no money to pay the claims, so the burden is not unfairly placed on the other grandmother and young adult taxpayers. It is a terrible tragic loss and sad all around.
I see stupid people

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Reader 10 wrote:
If these people are in their 70's, then I assume their son was an adult over 18. If he had no insurance or any money in his estate then the matter is closed. People are not responsible for the debts of deceased relatives. These folks should tell ODOT to go pound sand and contact their state representative about getting these government goofs off of their backs.
"When somebody dies, how can they pay?" Earl Mathis said. "He didn't have insurance. He didn't have a bank account and he was just living day to day."
If he was living day to day, chances are it was his parents car. ODOT will send the bill to the registered owner of the car and it is their responsibility to pay for damages resulting from the use of their uninsured vehicle. If the car was insured then the insurance company would pay the bill.
taxed to much

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

My point is its not his parent responsbilty to pay ,then we pay state taxes for road work so I think that would come under taxes already paid by the people living in Ohio
Stupid is as stupid does

Bellefontaine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

Frank wrote:
<quoted text>So what you are saying is if your kid was driving without insurance and tore up somebody elses property and died doing it,you would not pay because he died,right?WRONG!!!!
Frank, you are mistaken. A debtor, creditor, etc. can make a claim against an estate, but the next of kin doesn't inherit debt. Examples:

1. Person dies in a car wreck like this and he is a lien on the car. The lien holder collects insurance (if there is any) and can make a claim against the estate for anything else that might be due. If he estate is insolvent, the lien holder is out of luck.

2. Person dies in a hospital after racking up a bill. Hospital can bill insurance and try to collect from estate. If there's no money, them hospital is out of lick.

3. Credit cards are the same way assuming thy aren't joint accounts. That's why the insurance the CC companies sell is a scam.
hmmmmm

Carey, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

All you people on here saying all these hurtful comments to these people is awful. I am sure ODOT has the money to pay it, they waste enough money anyways. Besides this guy died isn't that enough for you people? Also you dont know a thing about why this guy didn't have insurance, maybe he lost his job last year or something. Obviously you rude people on here have never been on hard times before or I think you would shut your mouth. And dont give me that taxpayers bullshit.....ohio wastes enough money also. If you would think that this is wasting money that is your cold heart thinking that. I would rather waste tax money on helping someone, then giving goverment workers a raise because that is where most of your tax money goes into the pockets of greedy goverment workers and elected officials!
R U SERIOUS

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

mpooh wrote:
MY EXACT SENTIMENTS!!!

Why should his parents be responsible for HIS fatal accident. Like they said, the guy didn't have insurance, therefore, I doubt he has an estate that would be willing to pay the claim.

ODOT needs to just take this on the chin and chalk up the loss.
Sauerkraut

Tulsa, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

The family does not have to pay the bill since they did not cause the damage, ODOT needs to go after the dead person who did the damage, or his estate. They cannot hold others responsable for what someone else did. Heck anyhow if it was a illegal alien I bet ODOT would not say a thing. Besides if $500.00 and under is not billed why don't they just bill the difference between the cost minus the $500.00? If one of my family members did something they cannot hold me responsable for it.
R U SERIOUS

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2010

Judged:

SooperFunky wrote:
<quoted text>
Next of kin, I believe. If someone has something to settle with your estate after you pass, it becomes their responsibility. Someone correct me if that isn't how it is.
Only the executor of the estate can "dibby" out funds to SECURED creditors FIRST and then any other claims can be paid after. BUT, there is absolutely NO familial obligation (only moral) to pay for your deceased loved one's final expenses.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brook Park Discussions

Search the Brook Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 min Pops 29,180
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 22 hr not 2,214
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Wed They cannot kill a Spook 231
Donald and Terry Johnson Jul 20 Old classmate and friend 15
Revamped Brook Park Home Days haven't drawn or ... Jul 20 tim 1
1119 Deitsch resignation nov 19 2013 at board m... Jul 16 FP parent 1
pelosi is wrong and raping womens choices Jul 11 tommorrow 1
•••
•••
•••
Brook Park Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Brook Park Jobs