WE THINK THIS IS HORRIBLE OF Great Lakes Auto Sales Inc.

Posted in the Brook Park Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 81 Comments Last updated Jun 13, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Daniel

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Judged:

WE WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND AGAINST BUYING USED CARS FROM THIS DEALER!!!!!!! BAD BUSINESS IN MY OPINION!!!
Great Lakes Auto Sales Inc.
4927 Brookpark Road
Parma OH 44134
If you’re thinking about buying a vehicle from Devin Eckels, or his manager Wally, at Great Lakes Auto Sales Inc., you may want to take a minute to read this.

A guy who I’m sure is not the first one in this situation, and DID sign an as-is disclaimer, was sold a lemon from these guys and you know, it’s so so hard to swallow that after dodging bullets and bombs for a year in Afghanistan - and then again for a second deployment in Iraq – he then comes home to get this kind of stuff from a couple of guys he and his brothers are protecting. You get a more trusting sort of nature in the service because you come to BELIEVE IN THE SUPPORT. It’s a sad thing to have to be brought to reality like this:

He called Devin Eckels at Great Lakes Auto Sales Inc. to ask about a car he had listed. He was told “it’s in perfect condition; you will not have any problems whatsoever”[1]. He then rents a car and drives 252 miles to Parma, OH to buy the car.

The “Check Air Ride" light immediately comes on and Devin tells him that he was not previously aware of the problem. Devin did say said “it’s because it’s cold, give it a while and if it doesn’t change I‘ll cover you to have it fixed”. Again, he unfortunately did sign an as-is disclaimer but foolishly trusted the salesman’s word.

The pictures are still viewable on the Great Lakes Auto Sales website and it is clear that the rear end of the car was sitting a bit low, this tells us that Great Lakes Auto Sales may knew that the air ride was bad because the “Check air ride” light comes on every time the vehicle is started. They could have disclosed it at anytime during the sale. This repair alone is more than $1100.00.

Three days after the sale the alternator goes out and the car completely shuts off on the highway while his wife is driving with their 8 week old son. Not taking any chances, he immediately paid $300.00 for a new one to be installed. The “Service Engine Soon” light comes on next; this is at day five and the car now intermittently stalls during idle. He’s looking at about $2200.00 in repairs so far and he said it seems like there’s something else everyday.

When he bought it Devin told him,“If you have any problems bring it back and we’ll trade the car for something else”. He has called everyday only to get the run around; so far Devin hasn’t kept his word on anything.

If you’re not convinced yet, try asking the dealer to put a 30 day bumper to bumper warranty in writing when you buy a car, if it’s the perfect car they say it is, they should have no problems doing that. I myself tested this theory and was quickly told “oh no, we can’t do that”. Also keep in mind that the 4 month/4500 mile engine and transmission warranty that some dealers peddle at their shop are worth no more than the paper they’re written on (if it ever arrives in the mail that is). Just ask if their 4 month warranty will cover an alternator or starter or a high dollar repair like rear suspension. You’ll see.

We all understand that he made a bad decision by trusting someone’s word during this deal but Devin and Wally knew that this customer had just came home from a second deployment in the Middle East not long ago and has just had a newborn baby boy. Now the three of them have to ride in an unsafe car because it’s tough to afford these kinds of repairs on a soldier’s income. Rent and other bills may be late now so that the family can pay for what repairs they can afford.

NO ONE should have to go through what this soldier has endured here in the past week. As a matter of fact, THERE SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST THIS kind of stuff and I just wanted to tell this story to all the consumers and honest Americans I‘m able to reach!
Jack

Bath, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2007

They also are on ebay so watch out!!!
Randy

Bath, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2007

Judged:

"They sold me a car with a busted molding but promised to have it fixed. Never came thru, these guys will do whatever it takes to take your money!!
A-rod

Bath, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2007

Seems like this shady dealer has pulled this garbage on a few of us. I could tell you a story about a transmission falling out but I'm sure you already get the picture.

SHADY used car dealer GREAT LAKES AUTO SALES INC. in Parma, OH Dealer Used Cars BROKEN!!
Randy

Bath, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2007

Randy wrote:
"They sold me a car with a busted molding but promised to have it fixed. Never came thru, these guys will do whatever it takes to take your money!!
I don't know why it said I'm from VA, I'm actually in lower MI.-Randy
Split

Bath, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2007

Judged:

Great Lakes Auto = crooks!!!
JACOB ASHBURRY

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2007

Judged:

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GUYES? I BOUGHT THREE CARS FROM DEVIN AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.THEY WERE VERY KIND AND HELPFULL.2005 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY,2001 CADILLAC STS, AND A 2002 PONTIAC BONNIEVILLE.I WOULD HOWEVER NEVER BUY A CAR WITH AIR RIDE SUSPENCION.
Steve

Maumelle, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Huh! The screwed me too. I bought a car off Devin back in October. When I checked it out, I saw the power steering hose is leaking so I bought it to Devins attention.

he said, "lets go ahead and close the deal and when you get back to arkansas get it fixed, fax me the receipt and I'll send you a check"

I had the repair done as soon as I got home and faxed him the receipt. He claims he didnt get it. so i faxed it again. Then he said his boss wally needed to write the check but that he wouldnt be in for a couple of days. Days go by and I call again and he says a check was sent out. It never arrives.

So I ask that another check be sent out OVERNIGHT with tracking so it cant get lost again. He says wally needs to find out what happened to the check before he sends another one- basically its just a stall technique to try and wear you down.

So when he says he sent the next check REGUALR MAIL I knew I was screwed. Sure enough, the check didnt come.

I am going to do everything in my power to hurt this man financially so that maybe he'll learn not to screw people the way he does.

7 weeks later I have received nothing. he is a liar and a fraud

Everyone who has been screwed should contact the attorney generals off in Ohio and report their bad deals and the lies that he has told them. Contact the licensing division and maybe they will pull his license. Contact ebay and have them pull his auctions.

I am looking at filing a lawsuit against this jerk. I hope he screws someone who puts him in his place. he deserves it.
Steve

Perryville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2007

Update.

After reading this post and getting all my associates ready to jump into action, I made a last ditch call to great lakes to tell them exactly what I had in store for them. I am now holding a COPY of a check and a reciept for an overnight mailing that is supposedly being overnighted to me for the repair they promised to pay for.

If it does show up and if the check DOES clear, I will settle down and call off the dogs. if it either doesnt show or if it doesnt clear, I will be looking for names of others to put this place out of business.

I'll update again tomorrow after the delivery is supposed to come.

just to let you know, I had his promise to pay me written into the bill of sales. ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING!!!
Prashant H

Merrimac, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2007

Judged:

Hi all,
I have bougt two cars from this dealer over a period of two years. Both run perfectly great!. I often recommended this dealer to my friends and they have bought from them. I have not heard any one that I know, of, complain about this dealer!..

One persons experience can not over rule, my experience of buying/witnessing at least 4 different cars!..

The dealer is fully trust worthy!, if you ask me.
Prashant
Steve

Maumelle, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

I received a check in the mail today. It wasn't sent overnight as he stated but it was priority mail. The check has been deposited and hopefully it will clear. I will post back later to say whether it has or has not cleared (although to send a check and cancel payment would only further aid my case so I expect it to clear)
Daniel

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

Judged:

JACOB ASHBURRY wrote:
WHATS WRONG WITH YOU GUYES? I BOUGHT THREE CARS FROM DEVIN AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM.THEY WERE VERY KIND AND HELPFULL.2005 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY,2001 CADILLAC STS, AND A 2002 PONTIAC BONNIEVILLE.I WOULD HOWEVER NEVER BUY A CAR WITH AIR RIDE SUSPENCION.
nICE TRY PAL, WE KNOW THIS IS JUST THE DEALER POSTING MESSAGES TO TRY AND CLEAN UP HIS MESS. YOUR SALES NUMBERS WILL DECLINE NOW... AND FOR THE GOOD!!!!
Wally

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

I think this guy should just try to trade the car in at another dealer. That takes the burden off of all of us.
Nicholas

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2007

You should've checked the Better Business Bureau, you could have then seen that Great Lakes Auto Sales in Parma Ohio has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB.
http://cleveland.e-asp.net/Nis4/bbbreportaccb...
rip off dealers
Daniel

Bath, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2008

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE. After speaking with them on the phone a few times, Great Lakes sent a check for $1400 for repairs. Thumbs up!
Steve

Maumelle, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

you got your money after threatening them (much like i did) but what about the so-call warranty we were promised???

I never received anything in the mail concerning the warranty. Did you? I bet they never even mailed it in (because that costs them money). Since the warranty WAS part of the deal, LEGALLY, they OWE US for the premium they SHOULD HAVE paid. I doubt we'll see a warranty or a refund on that.

I must state that I feel that if it wasnt for me threatening to sue them, and shut down their Ebay auctions, and contacting the attorney general, that I would not have gotten anywhere with them.

At least I got the ps hose paid for. but it wasn't easy and DEFINETLY not as easy as Devin said it would be as he was taking my money.

NEVER AGAIN WOULD I PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM GREAT LAKES AUTO SALES OR DEVIN ECKELS.
Lin

Mount Gilead, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks so much to all of you! We were going to purchase a car from them today for over 10,000. dollars!!!!! We appreciate you sharing, can you tell me how they have only 6 negative feedbacks on ebay? 244 positive feedbacks, did any of you purchase through ebay? We found them online and through research also found them on ebay and looked to be a good honest ethical company. Thanks again and thanks for serving Daniel!
Lin

Mount Gilead, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience, you saved us at least 10,000. just for the purchase! We have been researching th ecompany in many sights and found them on ebay and checked the feedback and everything (244)were positive, only (6) were negative feedbacks. Did any of you purchase through ebay? Anyway, thanks again and thanks Daniel for serving!
steve

Maumelle, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2008

What he did with me at least was to close the deal outside of Ebay. I called the number on the ebay ad to see if he would accept a lower price and he did but required that I send a cashiers check overnight- not thru ebay or paypal. Once the auction ended with no sale, there was no way to leave feedback. I bet that happens with most of his sales.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Steve from Little Rock, AR,

I would like to have your contact info. If you do not want to post it over the internet (which I don't blame you,) please e-mail it to me: michael.hiday@gmail.com

I had a run-in with this dealership and if I file a report, I would like everyone's name and the vehicles they bought and go from there. I'm in the works of getting an attorney involved.

Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brook Park Discussions

Search the Brook Park Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 54 min Old Guy 30,160
Call about suspicious car led Westlake police t... Aug 3 Conrad 1
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
Debate: Health Care - Parma, OH (Oct '13) Jul 28 Yeshabel Villotca... 2
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill ... 231
Donald and Terry Johnson (Jan '14) Jul 20 Old classmate and... 15
Revamped Brook Park Home Days haven't drawn or ... Jul 20 tim 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Brook Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brook Park People Search