Dangers of cell phones

Dangers of cell phones

There are 23 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jun 22, 2007, titled Dangers of cell phones. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Michael Rosen, chief executive officer of Akron-based Highway Safety and Technology Corp., thinks cell phones are a danger for drivers and a leading cause of many accidents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
paul

Plano, IL

#1 Jun 22, 2007
I think it is a great idea and it can't be implimented too soon.
Matt

Hudson, OH

#2 Jun 22, 2007
Driving while talking on a cell is no more dangerous than eating, putting on make up or changing a CD & is one more way for a city to make money through fines... Is Mr. Rosen going to build a peanut butter & jelly sandwich detector ??
Locke

Avon Lake, OH

#3 Jun 22, 2007
Another example of people trying to tell you how to live your life. Now they can do it and make a profit as well!

If a cell phone user causes an accident, they should be subjected to stiffer penalties for driving distracted. How does Mr Rosen's technology discriminate a passenger using a cell phone instead of a driver. Is the photo the determining factor?

People freaked out when it was revealed that the government monitored suspicious international calls, but don't seem to mind the daily intrusions in our lives that are for "our own good".
Earl

Rockmart, GA

#4 Jun 22, 2007
No cell phone use in autos would also relieve crowded Highways. All those users would be home on the phone.
Steve D

United States

#7 Jun 22, 2007
We needed this law in place this morning. Some IDIOT was in the left lane of traffic this morning on Route 8 North, doing about 45-50mph, stacking up traffic behind him, weaving......I get up next to him and he's jawing on a cell phone!!!!!!!!!

This is more of a hazard than drunk drivers if you have a problem multi-tasking like that. I say hang it up!!!
Margaret

United States

#9 Jun 22, 2007
"Driving while talking on a cell is no more dangerous than eating, putting on make up or changing a CD"

People shouldn't be doing those things while driving either. I absolutely detest being even close to a driver who is gabbing away on a cell phone. They seem to have no idea how bad their driving becomes - weaving around, slowing down or speeding up. It's ridiculous. People can wait until they get home or to work to make phone calls. Driving and cell phone use IS dangerous. These cell phone addicts are a danger to all of us on the road.
Paul Dunn

United States

#10 Jun 22, 2007
"But does it have the ability to differentiate between hand-held and hands-free"

What's the difference? I don't care if they're holding it in their hand or not. They are distracted while driving.
Vince B

Hamilton, OH

#11 Jun 22, 2007
This is just another way for Government (and a greedy tech company) to extract more money from a taxed out public. The so called study they cite has a number of flaws including the fact that the driving records of those studied were not taken in to account. Bad drivers are more likely to have an accident whether they are on the phone or not! Any juristiction anywhere that allows a private company to monitor traffic an issue citations should have their local citizenry up in arms and ready to change every elected offical and buracrat untill reason is restored.
Trading freedom for safety may seem resonable to some until they run out of freedom and still aren't safe. History has shown it over and over, Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia happen one law at a time.
jarrod

Flatwoods, KY

#12 Jun 22, 2007
Who is supporting this technology Motorola (Bluetooth)? What about On-Star?
Dawn

Warren, OH

#13 Jun 22, 2007
Matt wrote:
Driving while talking on a cell is no more dangerous than eating, putting on make up or changing a CD & is one more way for a city to make money through fines... Is Mr. Rosen going to build a peanut butter & jelly sandwich detector ??
This is just another way for those in power to tell us what to do and to make money while they do it.

A hands free phone is no more distraction than talking to someone sitting right beside you. Maybe less, you don't turn your head to look at the person on the phone like you do the person sitting beside you while you are driveing. All your attention is on the road. I do agree that hand held phones are a distraction because both hands aren't on the wheel.

Those snooty people that are paying to much attention to what is going on in someone elses car instead of their own driveing should asked the person behind them how bad they drive.
Peggy

United States

#14 Jun 22, 2007
I never realized how many really important people are out there that they have to be in constant communication with every person they know. If you can't go to the store without having to talk to someone, you are a pathetic little creature. Here's the latest; you people always on cell phones, you're not that interesting.
LilOne

Hyattsville, MD

#15 Jun 25, 2007
Paul Dunn wrote:
"But does it have the ability to differentiate between hand-held and hands-free"
What's the difference? I don't care if they're holding it in their hand or not. They are distracted while driving.
They're no more distracted talking on a hands-free phone than they would be singing along with the radio or having a conversation with someone in the passenger seat. Let's be practical here...people can talk and drive at the same time. That's what using a hands-free device is.

I think this is simply a revenue-generating ploy that is preying on the fact that cell phone use is a visible, often annoying, occurence. Like someone else said....it's no more distracting than other things drivers do...eating or changing radio stations, for example. If we're going to 'crack down' on one distraction, we should crack down on all of them, and not single out today's biggest "hot button."
LilOne

Hyattsville, MD

#16 Jun 25, 2007
Dawn wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree that hand held phones are a distraction because both hands aren't on the wheel.
I spend a lot of time on the road...and most people you see don't have both hands on the wheel anyway. One hand is out the window, or on the gear shift (Seriously.....how can people driving a standard have both hands on the wheel at all times)...or messing with the radio...
Cell phones haven't started the 'driving with one hand' trend. I'd need a better argument to agree that hand-helds are more distracting than hands-free.

“Work hard and it is yours”

Since: Jun 07

Akron, Ohio

#17 Jun 25, 2007
Matt wrote:
I agree to a certain extent but I have witnessed 2 accidents right in front of my face where the person who was talkin on the phone was also TEXTING while driving. That is A LOT different than eating or putting on makeup or changing a CD. I have a cell phone and just bought a car with the bluetooth technology so I dont have to hold a phone or dial a phone with my hands. It's 100 times safer and just like talking to someone in the car with you.

There are a pretty people out there and texting while driving is as stupid as you can get. SO I do think they should ban it is it isnt handsfree.
Money Hungry Piggz

Cleveland, OH

#18 Jun 25, 2007
Sure, there are many dangers on the road. If a police officer see someone weaving in and out of traffic, driving way too slow ... pull them over.

But these fascist SOBs need to stop with the automated monitoring. No cell phones No radios. Not too fast. Not too slow. Don't drink. Dont smoke. Click it or ticket. Never make a mistake. Perhaps instead of liberating other countries, we should focus on our own.

When will Iraq get smoking bans, click it or ticket, and photo cams. They well not know true Democracy until then.
bob smith

Hamilton, OH

#19 Jun 26, 2007
good luck with this stupid idea.

Since: Mar 07

United States

#20 Jun 26, 2007
For some time, I've thought that Ohio should adopt a hands free law, in regard to cell phone use while drivin'. Other states have successfully shown a reduction in accidents that can be attributed to cell phone use, by enactin' such a law.

We don't need to make a law that bans it's use, but one that changes how we use them.

Since: May 07

United States

#21 Jun 30, 2007
---------does anybody know how to ship those ' Fred Marten car guys ' to bangooon --or someplace ??
c-19
OLIVIA

AOL

#22 Jun 30, 2007
I DRIVE JUST FINE AND I TALK ON THE PHONE AND DRINK COFFEE AT THE SAME TIME I DRIVE WITH MY KNEES WHEN I HAVE TO
Osama bin humpin el camel

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Jul 14, 2007
Yes they are dangerous, must be heat, over hear they blow up all the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brook Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Waiting Feb 8 Queen215 1
News One Dead After Road Rage Incident (Dec '09) Dec '15 I loved my brother 507
Review: Patient First - John Kavlich MD (May '09) Dec '15 JustMe 60
Does Anyone know JENNIFER M. Leffew? Dec '15 LOOKING 1
News Continue reading "Crazy Mullets salon finds bad... (Nov '08) Dec '15 Big Johnson 11
News Parma | Controversial Halloween display back up Oct '15 Lilly 1
News Suspected drunken driver caught traveling 100 m... Sep '15 Sammio 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brook Park Mortgages