College student sentenced in triple-fatality crash

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

A judge sentenced a college student to 12 years in prison for a crash that killed three people, rejecting a request that he remain free and spend time speaking to youths about the dangers of drunken driving.
Comments
81 - 90 of 90 Comments Last updated Dec 8, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Kelly

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

I'm glad he got what he deserves in that County, but here in Marion County he would not have gotten that stiff of sentance. Because they make plea deals for every person because we have soooo many criminals in our system.

If we had the ability to house each and every person that deserves it, we would each know a criminal and probably two or three. It's time we as a Country take some responsibility and talk to those we know that break the law and commit crimes.

Only we can make changes, Ol Bart, Mitch the Man, and Bush Can't help our State, We must help our selfves. Talk to your friends, co-workers, relatives, and neighbors. Don't wait do it now.
The rest of the story

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2007

tmiller wrote:
Words alone cannot describe how I feel regarding this sentencing. Our family lost two members during this incident because a young, selfish individual made some terrible decisions on a saturday night. To make things worse, our judicial system allowed this individual to arrange a plea agreement which in no way, reflects our families loss. Although we grieve the loss of Larry and Mim, we must also be thankful for how they touched and blessed our lives.
Didn't realize there was a plea bargain involved... Did I just miss it, or are these two references the first to be public?
Dot

Greencastle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2007

I miss Mim and Larry so much that words cannot explain. We Know that they would forgive Dane but expect him to pay the price for his choice that night. There are grandchildren that miss there grandparents both taken that morning. the sentence is what is needed to teach our youth that these choices bring consequences.
Only 12 Years

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2007

Can someone familiar with this case explain why the prosecutor agreed to a plea deal? What is the max he could have gotten without it?

It seemed like they had a solid case against him. I would hate to imagine what he would have got if hadn't been revealed that he had been drinking and doing drugs after he killed the 3 people. This kid hasn't learned a damned thing. I guess life is cheap in Newton County.
Legally Speaking

Decatur, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2007

It has nothing to do with a particular county. It has to do with the state statutes. These were class 3 felonies punishable by up to 8 years per count. The judge is to start at the mid point baring any aggravating or mitigating circumstances. This isn't a local problem. It is a state problem. If the judge would have given more, it would have just been over turned in a higher court. It looks like the state had a sound case, but by going to trial it would have just cost more money and would have probably resulted in the same out come. For the people that donít like the out come they need to lobby for stiffer penalties through the legislature. The court did exactly what it should have.
no name

Lititz, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

london wrote:
I hope that day never comes but if it did....It's not my place to judge someone on a bad decision that results in an accident. Oh, and one of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver...and I forgive him,,,,if he did it on purpose...that's a different issue but when it's an accident (even caused by a bad decision)I don't feel it is anyones right to pass judgement...
Jesus said: "why do you notice the stick in my eye and not the log in your own"
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but even though Dane has been forgiven by some of the victims' family members (if not all), he still needs to take responsibility for his actions. This could have been an accident, but they were a result of his choices. He chose to drink, he chose to do drugs, and he chose to drive. Which equals the situation he is in now. They were actions. Romans 13 talks about the authorities God placed here on earth. Verse 4 says, "But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." We all have been and still are wrongdoers. And one day we will all be facing the final Judge, God, on Judgement Day, where we will be held accountable for every wrong (and right) action we made in our life time. I haven't given up on Dane's future.
Only 12 Years

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2007

london wrote:
I hope that day never comes but if it did....It's not my place to judge someone on a bad decision that results in an accident. Oh, and one of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver...and I forgive him,,,,if he did it on purpose...that's a different issue but when it's an accident (even caused by a bad decision)I don't feel it is anyones right to pass judgement...
Jesus said: "why do you notice the stick in my eye and not the log in your own"
<quoted text>
Bottom line is this kid is a threat to society based on his lifestyle. No, he didn't set out to kill the Millers and his friend, but that's what he did through his own negligence. It could have just as easily been someone elses' family members he got that morning or on a different occassion (I'm guessing that this wasn't the first time he drove impaired or would have been the only time if this hadn't happened). I'm guessing that most people wouldn't have been as forgiving as this family appears to be.

He needs to pay the price set forth in the criminal justice system. Dane can be grateful that Indiana's vehicular manslaughter laws apparently are pretty weak. I don't get any satisfaction over him having to spend this time in prison, but it is necessary given what transpired.
steel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2007

Ho Bag wrote:
dumb judge, you're the dumb one. They should take him out of prison once a week to make those speaches in his orange jump suit and ankle chains then take him back for the next 12 years. Then maybe the kids would listen.
I like the idea of the orange jump suit, make sure the teens see the easy access panel in the rear.
steel

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2007

I like the idea of the orange jump suit, make sure the teens see the easy access panel in the rear.
genes friend

Huntsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2012

He only served three years for this he is a cocky peace of shit Mrs miller was my teacher in head start I miss gene every day that passes but its a lot harder when I pass were the deaths took place every day to and from home.. so dane if u ever read this I have something for u because u and ur family think u did kno wrong so for ur sake u better hope we never cross paths....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Brook Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Brook Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brook People Search