College student sentenced in triple-f...

College student sentenced in triple-fatality crash

There are 90 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from May 16, 2007, titled College student sentenced in triple-fatality crash. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A judge sentenced a college student to 12 years in prison for a crash that killed three people, rejecting a request that he remain free and spend time speaking to youths about the dangers of drunken driving.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
dumb judge

Indianapolis, IN

#1 May 16, 2007
This is EXACTLY the kind of person high school students would listen to. He was valedictorian, starting quarterback, good looking. Teens think they are invincible. You put someone who also appears invincible in front of them to speak, and they'll listen. This judge is an absolute idiot.
Safety

Indianapolis, IN

#2 May 16, 2007
dumb judge wrote:
This is EXACTLY the kind of person high school students would listen to. He was valedictorian, starting quarterback, good looking. Teens think they are invincible. You put someone who also appears invincible in front of them to speak, and they'll listen. This judge is an absolute idiot.
Oh please. You think the guy should have gotten a plea deal where he serves no time? If anything, seeing this guy get off with no time would reinforce the idea to teens that they are invincible.
Noblesville Realtor

Indianapolis, IN

#3 May 16, 2007
dumb judge wrote:
I agree witht the judge. Maybe the teens will listen to him AFTER he gets out of prison and can tell them what life is like behind bars instead of belly-up to them.
Jesse

New Palestine, IN

#4 May 16, 2007
dumb judge wrote:
Since you know so much, you should have been a judge.

You might also have different feelings about the sentence if it was someone who you loved very much.

He'll have to do 6 years on a 12 year sentence, and could possibly have that modified to a reduced sentence.

Sounds like he got off VERY easy to me, for someone who killed three people that is!
Ho Bag

Fishers, IN

#5 May 16, 2007
dumb judge, you're the dumb one. They should take him out of prison once a week to make those speaches in his orange jump suit and ankle chains then take him back for the next 12 years. Then maybe the kids would listen.
Rob

Plainfield, IN

#6 May 16, 2007
Kids don't listen. This sends a clear message to others out there. With good behavior, he will still be very young when he gets out and can continue his education (if he doesn't finish on the tax payer's dime in jail!) and get his life back. Until then, he has plenty of time to think about the lives he took because he was drunk.
Intelligent judge

Indianapolis, IN

#7 May 16, 2007
Are you insane? The guy gets drunk and kills 3 people, and he should travel around to high schools speaking about the dangers of alcohol? This is what should happen about 12 years from now. Let me tell; teenagers do not listen to ANYONE at these events. That is the point of being a teenager.

For the time being, he must face the music. The guy was drinking beer last weekend?? Pretty soon he is going to be drinking something else in prison.

I say that will teach him a lot more than his desperate plea to get out of jail.
Francine

Indianapolis, IN

#8 May 16, 2007
When we catch Osama, we can let him go free to talk to other islamic militants about the dangers of blowing people up.
Mel

Carmel, IN

#9 May 16, 2007
I agree. He deserves jail time. He made the decision to drive in his condition and he needs to deal with the consiquences.
real talk

Indianapolis, IN

#10 May 16, 2007
Ho Bag wrote:
dumb judge, you're the dumb one. They should take him out of prison once a week to make those speaches in his orange jump suit and ankle chains then take him back for the next 12 years. Then maybe the kids would listen.
I was also thinking something along these lines.
why

Greenville, IL

#11 May 16, 2007
Yes, this sentence does send a very clear message to our young adults. It shows our youth that there are consequences for their choices.

While I agree with the judge in this sentence, there is also value in taking this young man out to communities to give speeches about the consequences of drugs and alcohol. Parade him around in handcuffs, shackles and his prison clothing. Have armed guards with him. I think that would give a very loud and clear message.
Tired

Dyer, IN

#14 May 16, 2007
dumb judge wrote:
He KILLED three people!!! He got what he deserves. Drink and driving is way out of hand. The Judge is right!
liDs

United States

#15 May 16, 2007
wow he ruined his life.. thats to bad.

valedictorian.. doing coke and mary jane.. nice combo.. sheesh.. ppl needs to get brains
liDs

United States

#16 May 16, 2007
18 Wheeler wrote:
<quoted text>
B.S. He'd just be out doing a little more alcohol, a little more coke, a little more weed, whatever. I don't care if he is good looking. He's a dumb punk. He's a killer. They're always sorry when they're caught. More teen, young, and other drivers should be doing more time. Just putting your makeup on while driving should cost you a year in the slammer.
exactly.. ppl need to use what god gave them. a freakin brain.. well i guess some people were born without one apperantly
hummm

Indianapolis, IN

#17 May 16, 2007
dumb judge wrote:
Why would they listen to him? He didn't even listen to himself. Let's see...had an accident while impaired that killed 3 people and is still drinking and smoking pot.
Finally a just result

Indianapolis, IN

#18 May 16, 2007
Kudos to a judge finally doing what is right. It sounds like this kid, although once promising, has failed to learn any lessons. Let's just hope his short prison sentence makes an impact.
Hoosier in Yankeeland

United States

#19 May 16, 2007
Congratulations, Your Honor. As I've said all too often, the sight of an infant making a red skid mark on the pavement when their family car was struck head-on by a speeding drunk driver's car, left me with fear and loathing of ALL drunk drivers. I hope the full 12 years is served.
Bubba

Camarillo, CA

#20 May 16, 2007
Hello sweet cheeks!
The rest of the story

Indianapolis, IN

#21 May 16, 2007
While the article is very accurate, it doesn't mention that Dane Standish only went into rehab as damage control AFTER his attorney learned there were pictures posted on myspace.com showing Dane partying hard and taking shots (while still underage) less than a year after he had just killed three people.

As the trial judge noted, Dane has still failed to show ANY remorse for his killing these people. His only remorse was that he now has to pay for his illegal actions.
Justice for the Millers

Indianapolis, IN

#22 May 16, 2007
The two people Dane killed (the Millers) were two of the most beautiful people around. They were killed while driving to church Sunday morning.

Dane refused to admit he was driving (even though witnesses said he was), blamed the dead kid and then the injured party, and put the Miller children a year of his denials before DNA evidence finally proved Dane did it.

Twelve year six for good behavior) is not enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) 1 min CorruptionKiller 35
News Three arrested on armed robbery charges (Mar '08) Jul 14 Amy schwanke 17
Kentland Music Selection (Sep '12) Jul 2 Musikologist 11
check this out! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Delmy Donahoe 1
What happened? (Jul '11) Jul '11 CT Harris 2
News The nominations for the mayor's job are (Apr '11) Apr '11 Martin Brook 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Indiana (D... (Oct '10) Mar '11 Prowhite 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Brook Mortgages