Broken Arrow Police Conduct 'Ghost Op...

Broken Arrow Police Conduct 'Ghost Operations' In Work Zones

There are 44 comments on the News on 6 Tulsa story from Apr 23, 2010, titled Broken Arrow Police Conduct 'Ghost Operations' In Work Zones. In it, News on 6 Tulsa reports that:

This week has been "Work Zone Awareness Week." A week, that the Oklahoma Department of Transportation put emphasis on the importance of driving safely through construction work zones across Oklahoma.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News on 6 Tulsa.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Another Known Fact

Tulsa, OK

#1 Apr 23, 2010
So, easily able to be fought in court seeing that the officer actually pulling the vehicle over did not use his/her radar and cannot positively confirm the speed that the person was going (unless they catch them speeding also). So really it is quite a waste if anyone has a brain. If I were one that got the ticket I would ask to see the radar that I was caught with and if it wasnt the officers that pulled me over I would fight it since he is going off of what someone else says, as well there could be any type of "mix up" with other cars on the road.
snoozelwind

Tucson, AZ

#2 Apr 23, 2010
Where are the police on Riverside and 51st in Tulsa the speed limit is 25 and people are going 45!!!!
Cheetah

Olive Branch, MS

#3 Apr 23, 2010
snoozelwind wrote:
Where are the police on Riverside and 51st in Tulsa the speed limit is 25 and people are going 45!!!!
Didn't you get the memo? Tulsa no longer has police...

now where did I put my stapler...
Tulsain

Tulsa, OK

#4 Apr 23, 2010
Another Known Fact wrote:
So, easily able to be fought in court seeing that the officer actually pulling the vehicle over did not use his/her radar and cannot positively confirm the speed that the person was going (unless they catch them speeding also). So really it is quite a waste if anyone has a brain. If I were one that got the ticket I would ask to see the radar that I was caught with and if it wasnt the officers that pulled me over I would fight it since he is going off of what someone else says, as well there could be any type of "mix up" with other cars on the road.
I hope you are one of the ones that get caught and end up paying your lawyer thousands of dollars and court cost along with the $500 fine. You have no respect for the worker that is out there risking his life to make our road fit for driving on. Lets just hope that you don't hit one of those workers while you are speeding through the work zone.
Supporter

Tulsa, OK

#5 Apr 23, 2010
Another Known Fact wrote:
So, easily able to be fought in court seeing that the officer actually pulling the vehicle over did not use his/her radar and cannot positively confirm the speed that the person was going (unless they catch them speeding also). So really it is quite a waste if anyone has a brain. If I were one that got the ticket I would ask to see the radar that I was caught with and if it wasnt the officers that pulled me over I would fight it since he is going off of what someone else says, as well there could be any type of "mix up" with other cars on the road.
There is no right assigned to you, the driver, that says you are entitled to see the officers radar. They do not have to show you anything. Sounds like you better do a little more research before your "easy" day in court. Also the officer that tracked you on radar can be used as a witness to the citation given by another officer. I should have not even said anything, and let you think you had it all worked out.
Bart

Victoria, TX

#6 Apr 23, 2010
I'm all for keeping construction workers safe. I'm also just cynical and jaded enough to see that this is a great revenue generating machine for BA, the county, and the state and there is no way they are going to let that one get by.
whywhywhy

Tulsa, OK

#7 Apr 23, 2010
I SUPPORT THE SUPPORTER!!!!!! Do research before you type on a blog.
lawdogg

Broken Arrow, OK

#8 Apr 23, 2010
Supporter-

you are wrong once again, Infact you do have the right to see that Radar. You also have the right to ask when the radar gun was last calibrated due to the fact they are to do that every day and we all know that does not happen. If anyone were to recive that ticket these are the facts you would need to fight it youdo not need a lawyer
Jimbo

Tahlequah, OK

#9 Apr 23, 2010
its simply a good way for the citizens to have NO TRUST for the police department once again because if they really wanted to detere speeding anywhere, they would simply have greater presence in those areas. NOT, trying to hide and catch people in the act! that's not a very good approach to building trust by trying to be covert on the public. save that for meth labs! and they wonder why the general public has a huge mistrust for police officers?? mainly because they're managed by idiots!

Since: Feb 10

United States

#10 Apr 23, 2010
Another Known Fact wrote:
So, easily able to be fought in court seeing that the officer actually pulling the vehicle over did not use his/her radar and cannot positively confirm the speed that the person was going (unless they catch them speeding also). So really it is quite a waste if anyone has a brain. If I were one that got the ticket I would ask to see the radar that I was caught with and if it wasnt the officers that pulled me over I would fight it since he is going off of what someone else says, as well there could be any type of "mix up" with other cars on the road.
If you would have read the whole story you would have seen the plain clothed officers have radar (in the largest paragraph about midway down), if they did not it would not be legal. If you were a law abiding citizen you would not be speeding in a work zone or any where else anyway. But, to each his own. If you get caught, just keep your tears to yourself and pay the fine.
MUSKOGEE READER

United States

#11 Apr 23, 2010
This is a great idea. Why don't you do this for the school zones too. As a matter of fact why can't we pass a law that if you get caught driving to fast or other violations in a school zone that these monies go directly to that cities police departments to help with the budget. I bet a lot of the speeders would think twice about rushing through our school zones.
nunyerbisness

United States

#15 Apr 23, 2010
Hey Fact.. . just do the right thing and slow down.
marka2k

Tulsa, OK

#16 Apr 23, 2010
Not taking sides, but if you read the comment properly he is stating that he would ask the officer that is pulling him over not the plain clothes officer with the radar gun.
gaitorbait wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would have read the whole story you would have seen the plain clothed officers have radar (in the largest paragraph about midway down), if they did not it would not be legal. If you were a law abiding citizen you would not be speeding in a work zone or any where else anyway. But, to each his own. If you get caught, just keep your tears to yourself and pay the fine.
Nonsense

Broken Arrow, OK

#17 Apr 23, 2010
John Spratt wrote:
Understand the need to protect the workers, but why the undercover angle? Just park a cruiser at the site, that is enough to get people to slow down. Just seems a bit underhanded to me. Buford T. Justice type of law enforcement.
Riddle me this. Where are you going to park a cruiser in a workzone that has been reduced down to 2 lanes for travel and everything else is torn up or blocked off with cones, etc? That does not make sense. You cannot detect drivers driving too fast in a construction zone unless You are in the construction zone.
Nonsense

Broken Arrow, OK

#18 Apr 23, 2010
lawdogg wrote:
Supporter-
you are wrong once again, Infact you do have the right to see that Radar. You also have the right to ask when the radar gun was last calibrated due to the fact they are to do that every day and we all know that does not happen. If anyone were to recive that ticket these are the facts you would need to fight it youdo not need a lawyer
You are wrong. You can ask for anything you want, but the officer does not have to hold roadside court with you. He/she does not have to show you the radar, does not have to tell you when the radar was last calibrated or show you his logs. That is all subject to being subpoenaed into court. You or your lawyer can officially question the officer in regard to those subjects in court, but the officer does not have to discuss all the legal ins and outs with you on the spot. My suggestion for you would be to simply exercise your right to refuse to sign the citation in dispute. Granted, this is a refusal to be released on your own recognizance and the officer will then arrest you and take you to jail for a speeding ticket, but you can request to go to jail rather than be released. Try it out and let us know how that works for you.
BAPD Sucks

Owasso, OK

#19 Apr 23, 2010
Underhanded is right.

If they really want to curtail speeding, they would not hide in plain clothes. They would park a squad car at the entry to the construction zone. EVERYONE knows that tactic works.

Typical BAPD BS! They are overrun with PD adolescence. Go GO GO is all they know. They don't care what the situation is. all they want to do is generate revenue. Period!

Without a bunch of legal advise and saying you can do this or that......the chances of a ticket given by a different officer than the one that clocked you holding up is court is roughly 1% for an educated offender.
Observant in Tulsa

Tulsa, OK

#20 Apr 23, 2010
so let me get this straight - 2 police officers per assigned workzone to bring public awareness of workzone safety. it does not sound like an efficient nor cost effective method - unless the actual purpose is to generate revenue. factor in that one officer is in disguise and the method further errodes the public's goodwill towards the police department and city government.
Dee

Sapulpa, OK

#21 Apr 23, 2010
BA police are committing fraud.

How can you argue someone over the speed limit in a construction zone is endangering road workers when there are no road workers?

BAPD is placing revenue collection first, and actually endangering the road workers they are claiming to be protecting by sending the message that construction zones might be phoney.
Nonsense

Broken Arrow, OK

#22 Apr 23, 2010
How dare you hold me accountable for my own actions! You should tell me when you are going to be watching me to make sure I follow the law and keep me from endangering people. The signs, cones, barrels, warning lights and workers will not keep me in check, but a police car will. Why is that? Because I fear getting a ticket for my wrongful actions. But don't you dare do that when I can't see you. That's unfair! As if it a game. Be ashamed of Your actions.

Try beating them at their own game, obey the law and don't give them an opportunity to give you a ticket and "generate revenue". That will show them!
Tulsain

Tulsa, OK

#23 Apr 23, 2010
Why does it take the presence of a police man or his vehicle to get people to slow down in a work zone. Isn't it enough that these workers are putting their lives on the line so that you can have a nice trip.
If people want to speed through a work zone, lets put a stop to all road way construction, that way they can speed to their hearts content and not endanger anyone's lives beside their own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broken Arrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cousins having sexual relations Sat Hellafide9999 2
Isabel Celis Fri guest 1
Review: Access Pain Solutions (Nov '13) Feb 14 kjd 30
News Man in critical condition after wife shoots him (Dec '08) Feb 13 Daughter of Darrell 101
News Oklahoma Teachers To Go To Capitol For Pay Rais... Feb 12 scott 2
Water Bills in Bixby! Feb 9 Dan Huber 1
News Warrants Issued In Oklahoma Steroid Bust (Apr '09) Feb 8 Diansand 132

Broken Arrow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Broken Arrow Mortgages