DCFS bars admission of wards to Riveredge Hospital

Full story: Chicago Tribune

In response to a newspaper investigation, the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services has halted the admission of its wards to Riveredge Hospital in Forest Park .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Amber Powell

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

My stepson attended this Riveredge Hospital in Feb 2008 and was severly mistreated. When I had him transfered out of there he was very edemic from being over-medicated and covered in bruises cuts, and scratches from fights. He also expressed to us that the staff would allow the other patients to beat him up when he didn't do what he was told. A woman who had been visiting her son prior to my coming to visit my son told me that the staff had been restraining my son with excessive force and slamming him down on the ground when he tried to stop them. I filed complaints afterwards but to no surprise I have not yet recieved any respone to them.
Word to the wise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2008

Judged:

The one hospital that's worse than Riveredge is Hartgrove. Sure, they moved to a nice new facility, but they have the most incompetent staff of any hospital I've encountered. I don't know that the supervision issues are as severe as Riveredge, but Hartgrove routinely misdiagnoses/overdiagnoses kids. Please don't send your kids there, even in times of crisis!
mike johnson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2008

I worked at RiverEdge 2, years ago when some of the incidents happened and I can say that the units being understaffed add to some of this mess. Hartgrove does not pay their MHW, much so they get the least experienced workers, I interview their in 2006.
Just Me

South Boston, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2011

Sounds like things have changed, I'm really sorry to hear that. I was a patient in '85-'86 and I received excellent care. I was 14 at the time and even then would have said it was the best place for me.
riveredge should be close

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

Just Me wrote:
Sounds like things have changed, I'm really sorry to hear that. I was a patient in '85-'86 and I received excellent care. I was 14 at the time and even then would have said it was the best place for me.
Your an idiot!!!!!!! People are over medicated,killed and even abused F**** your 1985 experience

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

i wouldn't have the heart to send a terrorist their much less children and teenagers.!

For all you people that say this is a good hospital you need to kill yourself. Your are AssH$$$$ on the internet, your are kidding to yourself and are disrespecting the countless victims effected by this butcher hospital!

Joliet, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

close the shithole down!!!!!!
A Nightmare

Lincolnwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

This place is disgusting. There's piss in the bathrooms that patients are expected to use. Staff knows this because they have to open the bathroom for you since patients aren't allowed to. Where's the cleaning crew then? This is a health hazard.

The food is cold and the trays are dirty. Yet they expect you to eat their junk or you won't get out. This is a hospital. I expect a clean environment. This place is filthy. What's more the food is not healthy at all. They allow you to go to the cafeteria to eat pasta, pizza, cheese fries, and fried chicken. You cannot service yourself at the salad bar without the assistance of a MHA because the staff is, ostensibly, concerned about sanitation. This is a joke--look at this place it is filthy! My socks were black after going down to the basement to this cafeteria. This is a power trip and a means to disrespect and demean patients. The majority of patients can very well handle themselves at a salad bar and if they cannot it is a result of these damaging medications they overmedicate everyone on.

Patients are overmedicated, drooling, and can't walk because they are too stiff from antipsychotics.

The medical director does not care about the needs of patients and will not return phone calls. She will give you haldol when you are supposedly agitated even if she told you haldol can make you more agitated. There is no logic in this whatsoever.

The majority of the MHA's do not know what they are doing. They will go off on tangents and talk about inappropriate topics for no clear reason with patients. One of the MHA's threw something at me. Completely unprofessional behavior. Some of the MHA's are well-intentioned apparently as are some of the other staff, but the majority are either incompetent and have no idea how to serve the needs of the patients.

You apparently have to strip your bed upon discharge. Given the amount you are paying per day at this place (over a thousand dollars)--this is ridiculous. Patients should be served--not be maids! We should not be doing YOUR work to make YOUR life easier.

This place strikes me as a money machine. The lack of professionalism, the incompetence, the filth, the staff, is completely unacceptable. For some unforeseeable reason, this place yet exists. Given a recent death and rapes at this "hospital" I cannot imagine how anyone can find sanctuary at this institution.

I have been at several psychiatric hospitals, this is by far the worst. I had a serious haldol-induced reaction that was brushed off by the MHA's and nurse as an anxiety attack and that I should simply calm down. Two hours later did I finally receive cogentin after being in severe pain and fear for my life. This is not how things should work.

The social worker and psychiatrist both incompetent. The whole point of the 3 family sessions was to perpetuate abuse.

I am truly sickened by this place
adreinne N Gus sotelo

Ottawa, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

My 13 abd 15 year old just went there yesterday..... Should we go bring them home? Is the hospital that way now? Pls respond pudgey24@gmail.com
live

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Get your kids out!
steven g

Elk Grove Village, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Yes as a parent of a daughter of a daughter who just was released from there i will NEVER let her back their! Doctors never returned calls. I would rather take a chance on her harming herself at home then puttimg up with the crap that went on there
I HOPE JUSTICE IS DONE

Franklin Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

steven g wrote:
Yes as a parent of a daughter of a daughter who just was released from there i will NEVER let her back their! Doctors never returned calls. I would rather take a chance on her harming herself at home then puttimg up with the crap that went on there
WE SHOULD ALL GET IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST RIVEREDGE HOSPITAL FOR MISTREATMENT OF MINORS AND OVER-MEDICATING OUR CHILDREN WITH HALDOL WHICH MAKE THEM HAVE EPS SYMPTOMS WHEN THEY SHOULD INSTEAD BE RECEIVING ANTI-DEPRESSANTS FOR THE DEPRESSION THEY SHOULD BE GETTING TREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE. FURTHERMORE, OUR CHILDREN DO NOT BELONG IN A PRISON-TYPE OF HOSPITAL DESERVE TREATMENT NOT ABUSE.
I MADE A EMAIL JUST FOR THIS CAUSE IT IS berryblue2222(at)yahoo (dot) com. I HOPE JUSTICE IS DONE ONCE AND FOR ALL FOR OUR CHILDREN SAKE.
Nicki A

Lemont, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2012

I HOPE JUSTICE IS DONE wrote:
<quoted text>
WE SHOULD ALL GET IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST RIVEREDGE HOSPITAL FOR MISTREATMENT OF MINORS AND OVER-MEDICATING OUR CHILDREN WITH HALDOL WHICH MAKE THEM HAVE EPS SYMPTOMS WHEN THEY SHOULD INSTEAD BE RECEIVING ANTI-DEPRESSANTS FOR THE DEPRESSION THEY SHOULD BE GETTING TREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE. FURTHERMORE, OUR CHILDREN DO NOT BELONG IN A PRISON-TYPE OF HOSPITAL DESERVE TREATMENT NOT ABUSE.
I MADE A EMAIL JUST FOR THIS CAUSE IT IS berryblue2222(at)yahoo (dot) com. I HOPE JUSTICE IS DONE ONCE AND FOR ALL FOR OUR CHILDREN SAKE.
My daughter is currently in there. I went there today to take my daughter out of there. I was told that could not happen. They have there own laws. Not even the cops can go there. I voluntarily placed her there and now I can't take her elsewhere. The place is a joke! They played bingo during school time today!! What's fuckin joke! My daughter is being bullied at school and she sent a text to a friend saying she wanted to die and the cops showed up at my door with a ambulance and took her away to be accessed . What can I do? Help???
Tracey

Oak Lawn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2012

OMG!My Son Has A appointment With Them Tomorrow For An Assessment.He Gonna Have Partial HospitalizationI,m Glad That He Dont Have Two Stay There.
Former Patient

La Grange, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

I stayed in this hospital for a week back in 2003. I didn't meet with the doctor until the last day, although all the while he was releasing info to my parents ( I was 19). The only reason he let me out was because I told him if he didn't I would sue. They allowed a patient who fondled me to be around me and other patients who threatened my life. When I was sick I asked to see a doctor, I never saw one. There was a patient I had a close bond with (obviously not physical) and they would separate us. I didn't go in voluntarily nor had I attempted suicide. I had thoughts about it. I told my doctor if you aren't crazy going in you are crazy coming out. This place should be closed, they don't treat you like you are even human.
Former MHA

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Unfortunately. I have to concur with the above statements about Riveredge: some of the staff are inadequately trained and poorly supervised. The doctors are inattentive to the patients and the nursing staff. The nurses spend hours trying to contact some of the doctors for orders. If the doctor is not responsive to a nurse that is caring for his/her patient- please don't expect them to communicate with family members of a patient. Forget about it!! The programming for the kids/adolescents/adults sucks. There is nothing meaningful (Zilch) that you can take away from there inpatient treatment program. They fail to teach any social/life/coping skills or strategies. Riveredge just medicates the client into a state of numbness. Yes. The hospital is unkempt and often wreaks of urine, because they have a small Polish Family crew of about five (5) house keepers that do the bare minimum to keep the palce clean. Okay. They may change the toilet paper, but they do a lousy job at cleaning and santitizing. They also act as the engineering or building maintnenace staff: they plunge toilets and make minor repairs---they suck.
Shel

Darien, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

All this negative info is true.  My son has been there 2days because it's the only place that had a bed for a 18 year old. It's awful.  I have spent all day trying to get him transferred.  No one should be in a place like this.
maria saucedo

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

my nephew is in their for only 2 days his crying saying he wanta to come home and that the kids are mean their his only 9 and they hit him i cant take him out what can i due we cant take him out in one day they drew blood from him 9 times stupid hospital what can we due
kat

Crystal Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

A Nightmare wrote:
This place is disgusting. There's piss in the bathrooms that patients are expected to use. Staff knows this because they have to open the bathroom for you since patients aren't allowed to. Where's the cleaning crew then? This is a health hazard.
The food is cold and the trays are dirty. Yet they expect you to eat their junk or you won't get out. This is a hospital. I expect a clean environment. This place is filthy. What's more the food is not healthy at all. They allow you to go to the cafeteria to eat pasta, pizza, cheese fries, and fried chicken. You cannot service yourself at the salad bar without the assistance of a MHA because the staff is, ostensibly, concerned about sanitation. This is a joke--look at this place it is filthy! My socks were black after going down to the basement to this cafeteria. This is a power trip and a means to disrespect and demean patients. The majority of patients can very well handle themselves at a salad bar and if they cannot it is a result of these damaging medications they overmedicate everyone on.
Patients are overmedicated, drooling, and can't walk because they are too stiff from antipsychotics.
The medical director does not care about the needs of patients and will not return phone calls. She will give you haldol when you are supposedly agitated even if she told you haldol can make you more agitated. There is no logic in this whatsoever.
The majority of the MHA's do not know what they are doing. They will go off on tangents and talk about inappropriate topics for no clear reason with patients. One of the MHA's threw something at me. Completely unprofessional behavior. Some of the MHA's are well-intentioned apparently as are some of the other staff, but the majority are either incompetent and have no idea how to serve the needs of the patients.
You apparently have to strip your bed upon discharge. Given the amount you are paying per day at this place (over a thousand dollars)--this is ridiculous. Patients should be served--not be maids! We should not be doing YOUR work to make YOUR life easier.
This place strikes me as a money machine. The lack of professionalism, the incompetence, the filth, the staff, is completely unacceptable. For some unforeseeable reason, this place yet exists. Given a recent death and rapes at this "hospital" I cannot imagine how anyone can find sanctuary at this institution.
I have been at several psychiatric hospitals, this is by far the worst. I had a serious haldol-induced reaction that was brushed off by the MHA's and nurse as an anxiety attack and that I should simply calm down. Two hours later did I finally receive cogentin after being in severe pain and fear for my life. This is not how things should work.
The social worker and psychiatrist both incompetent. The whole point of the 3 family sessions was to perpetuate abuse.
I am truly sickened by this place
Where do you recommend?
unknown

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

i was in there for two weeks and it wasn't as what all these people say it is. The staff was very nice and listened to everything i said when i felt sad or needed someone to talk to. The bathrooms are clean. There's cameras in the big group room so if something happened to your child they can check the camera. on the weekends is was fun. It's a good place for me and now i'm a better person.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Broadview Discussions

Search the Broadview Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 13 min Frick-N-Frack 47,064
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 2 hr jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,535
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 2 hr Be kuel 505
Ex-Bellwood official accused of stealing $500K ... (Aug '12) 2 hr lol 7
When does McScambell go to jail? 2 hr lol 1
What Bellwood Mayor thinks of McScambell (Oct '13) 3 hr lol 5
Tiger in River Grove (Aug '08) 4 hr diana 17
•••
•••
•••
Broadview Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Broadview Jobs