Seniors feel safer when they carry gun

Seniors feel safer when they carry gun

There are 749 comments on the Cleveland.com story from Jun 19, 2007, titled Seniors feel safer when they carry gun. In it, Cleveland.com reports that:

“I personally don't think that criminals target senior citizens, but I do think senior citizens are better targets -- for obvious reasons”

Categories: Breaking News Even at 69 years old, Russ Geis has enough vitality to bike through Stark County's remote nature trails. via Cleveland.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cleveland.com.

First Prev
of 38
Next Last
K Sylvia

Niantic, CT

#1 Jun 22, 2007
I can understand the "feeling" from carrying but the senior citizen , or anyone for that matter, who is carrying stands a snowballs chance in Hell of drawing and using his weapon before the shooter, who has his out and pulling the trigger. So whats the good of carrying ??
Randy

Wilmington, NC

#2 Jun 22, 2007
Good for them...
At least the Senior Citizen gives him/ herself a chance to be that snowball. Watch the news and seniors are being beaten on camera, no one stopped to help them either. Maybe a criminal looking for a soft target gets an education that a gun makes us all equal.(Samuel Colt’s words to that effect)

“It's all in the reflexes.”

Since: Jun 07

Good ol' USA

#3 Jun 22, 2007
K Sylvia wrote:
I can understand the "feeling" from carrying but the senior citizen , or anyone for that matter, who is carrying stands a snowballs chance in Hell of drawing and using his weapon before the shooter, who has his out and pulling the trigger. So whats the good of carrying ??
K... can you give us your training and experience that gives you this particular expertise in knowing how and when a draw against a draw works? Please give details other than watching hollywood entertainment.

Are you familar with the basic training mantra, "action vs. reaction"? If so, please explain what it means. If not, then why are you commenting on an area that shows ignorance on your part?

Last question, I promise (for now, anyway):

Are you smarter than the millions of citizens who currently hold CCW permits?
Alan

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Jun 22, 2007
I think every law-abiding person should carry a pistol while biking in remote areas. I do. Bicyclists are sitting ducks for idiots out there, and even more so for the four-legged ones, such as stray dogs. Plus, if you have a gun, you may also come to someone else aid.

GunShowOnTheNet

“Shall NOT be infringed.”

Since: Dec 06

Phoenix, AZ.

#5 Jun 23, 2007
"The right of self-defence never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals."

- President James Monroe, Nov. 16, 1818 message to the U.S. House and Senate.[Journal of the Senate of the United States of America, November 17th, 1818.]

"Also, the conditions and circumstances of the period require a finding that while the stated purpose of the right to arms was to secure a well-regulated militia, the right to self-defense was assumed by the Framers."

- John Marshall, U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice.[As quoted in Nunn v. State, 1 Ga. 243, 251 (1846); State v. Dawson, 272 N.C. 535, 159 S.E.2d 1, 9 (1968).]
http://gunshowonthenet.com/AfterTheFact/Right...
http://gunshowonthenet.com/AfterTheFact/NunnV...

"The defence of one’s self, justly called the primary law of nature, is not, nor can it be abrogated by any regulation of municipal law. This principle of defence is not confined merely to the person; it
extends to the liberty and the property of a man: it is not confined merely to his own person; it extends to the persons of all those, to whom he bears a peculiar relation -- of his wife, of his parent, of his child, of his master, of his servant: nay, it extends to the person
of every one, who is in danger; perhaps, to the liberty of every one, whose liberty is unjustly and forcibly ttacked. It becomes humanity as well as justice."

- James Wilson,'Of the Natural Rights of Individuals', 1790-1792 (Signed the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, Congressman, Delegate to
the Constitutional Convention and Supreme Court Justice).
http://gunshowonthenet.com/2ALEGAL/OftheNatur...
http://gunshowonthenet.com/2ALaw/LawsofNature...

“Uatu”

Baltimore, MD

#6 Jun 23, 2007
Define senior citizen. I f my grandmother/grandfather were alive, I would buy them both a handgun; wait, they owned shotguns! People kill people, not guns!

“Tu ne cede malis”

Lots of different places

#7 Jun 23, 2007
K Sylvia wrote:
As Jack Burton remarked above, if you don't know the realities of what you are talking about, then you should ask.

I'll go one step further and say that there are limitless scenarios as to what could happen with any particular instance of being accosted by a criminal with a gun.

Just because s/he has a bead on you, it doesn't even begin to mean that:
–– The gun is loaded
–– That the criminal has the willingness to actually shoot you
–– That they =even know= how to use said firearm
–– That they can't be talked out of their act
–– That they can't tricked out of the firearm
–– Etc., etc., etc.

Ergo, you proffered situation is at best static.
Greg

Cleveland, OH

#8 Aug 30, 2007
Jack Burton wrote:
<quoted text>

Are you smarter than the millions of citizens who currently hold CCW permits?
Millions of citizens drink and drive, too. And in the process kill fewer people than guns do.

“It's all in the reflexes.”

Good ol' USA

#9 Aug 30, 2007
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
Millions of citizens drink and drive, too. And in the process kill fewer people than guns do.
And...?

Indiana

#10 Aug 31, 2007
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
But are those deaths caused by CCW holders?
Answer: No.
Last I heard, fatalities due to car accidents far outnumbered fatalities having anything to do with firearm misuse. The deaths due to car accidents just don't get as much publicity.

Indiana

#11 Aug 31, 2007
For that matter, I don't believe I have ever once heard of a firearm willfully and intentionally killing a human being.

“Erudite Gun Enthusiast”

Weston, FL

#12 Sep 1, 2007
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely, incontrovertibly, unarguably WRONG.

Just look at the Center for Disease Control's stats.
Eugene

Hagerstown, MD

#13 Sep 1, 2007
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
That,right there, is the most idiotic statement I have ever heard. Why didn't you do a little research on facts before you made that post? MORON!!

“The past defines the future”

Since: Jul 07

Beijing, China

#14 Sep 1, 2007
K Sylvia wrote:
Your statement above is filled with presumptions.
It presumes:
–– that all bad guys/gals will have firearms
–– that all bad guys/gals will have firearms drawn
–– that all bad guys/gals will shoot first
–– that one or the other party will have to shoot
None of the above is true in most cases.
In most cases, merely hinting that a firearm is present, or just evincing that it is immediately available, is sufficient to send the bad guy/gal packing in search of less dangerous prey.

And then, there is that aspect of the 'just surrender' mentality that you propose. If you're a woman, do you 'just lay there and be assaulted'–– possibly to be murdered in the end?

Or, do you take matters firmly in hand and refuse to become a victim?

Is it your contention that an elderly woman with a gun in her hand and standing over her attacker, is morally –INFERIOR– to a women who's been raped and strangled with her pantyhose?

GunShowOnTheNet

Phoenix, AZ.

#15 Sep 1, 2007
Greg wrote:
<quoted text>
The leading cause of death in America is abortion. After that it is Heart disease. Deaths by gun aren't even in the top ten.

However, "every thirteen seconds an American firearm owner uses a firarm in defense against a criminal". That is an FBI statistic and is entered on Congressional record.
http://www.gunclock.org/

Indiana

#16 Sep 1, 2007
GunShowOnTheNet wrote:
<quoted text>
The leading cause of death in America is abortion. After that it is Heart disease. Deaths by gun aren't even in the top ten.
However, "every thirteen seconds an American firearm owner uses a firarm in defense against a criminal". That is an FBI statistic and is entered on Congressional record.
http://www.gunclock.org/
HEY! Who told you that you could submit factual evidence? Can't you see the liberals are wanting to debate this issue on imaginary grounds?

GunShowOnTheNet

Phoenix, AZ.

#17 Sep 2, 2007
The Bald Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
HEY! Who told you that you could submit factual evidence? Can't you see the liberals are wanting to debate this issue on imaginary grounds?
I'm sorry, I know that I broke the first rule of LIE-berality. Perhaps they'll slap me hand and let me go like they do all of the other rule-breakers?

Indiana

#18 Sep 2, 2007
GunShowOnTheNet wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, I know that I broke the first rule of LIE-berality. Perhaps they'll slap me hand and let me go like they do all of the other rule-breakers?
Unfortunately, I think they only use the slap-on-the-wrist penalties for the violent offenders who actually victimize a person (rapists, murderers, etc.) As for other offenses (such as you living in reality instead of believing whatever the liberals tell you,) the penalties could be much, much worse.
Of course, that is just speculation. I haven't quite figured out how the liberal mind works just yet (or if it does at all, for that matter.)

GunShowOnTheNet

Phoenix, AZ.

#19 Sep 2, 2007
The Bald Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, I think they only use the slap-on-the-wrist penalties for the violent offenders who actually victimize a person (rapists, murderers, etc.) As for other offenses (such as you living in reality instead of believing whatever the liberals tell you,) the penalties could be much, much worse.
Of course, that is just speculation. I haven't quite figured out how the liberal mind works just yet (or if it does at all, for that matter.)
Somehow I have the idea that you are right on the money on that one. So, it is more than "just speculation" imho. ;)

“Erudite Gun Enthusiast”

Weston, FL

#20 Sep 2, 2007
30 days in "the cooler"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 38
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broadview Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuyahoga Amateur Radio Society (WB8N) (Aug '14) Sep '17 Zamwell III 5
WB8N, Thomas Wayne, VIOLENT ham radio operator. (Apr '15) Sep '17 Zamwell III 8
News Woman Charged After Puppy Dies in Hot Sun (Jul '11) Aug '17 I Love Dogs 5
Friend needed! Aug '17 WestVee 1
News Kidnapping of teenager was a hoax (Apr '06) Jul '17 Ghost Atmore 14
the music thread (Mar '12) Jul '17 Musikologist 22
News GOP bill would let churches endorse political c... Jul '17 Retribution 54

Broadview Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance