Broadview Heights Residents Upset Ove...

Broadview Heights Residents Upset Over Oil Well Drilling

There are 18 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Aug 22, 2009, titled Broadview Heights Residents Upset Over Oil Well Drilling. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

Residents in Broadview Heights are up in arms over some unwanted neighbors--more oil wells in the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

Concerned Resident

Cleveland, AR

#1 Aug 23, 2009
What about unbiased reporting? How safe, Very. THey have a lot of insurance. THere is no evidence of anythingin the air that would cause a sore throat. How about a little reporter research on exactly how many wells are in Cuyahoga Co and how many safety events have been reported, I know of only one and that was reported due to poor operations. Cutter Oil has one of the best records and are very conscientious because their family owns AND operates the wells, they will do everything possible to be safe and protect their investment. How much tax money goes to the local school,- so much per barrel- check it out. Maybe over the past 10 years if we had been spending oil cost dollars (wages, steel supplies, cement, limestone etc.) in Ohio instead of sending them to the Middle East and Venezuela we would not be in the depression/recession we are in. Read " Drill Here Drill Now" by Newt Gingrich = Get informed then report please. How ABOUT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORY.
The Voice of Reason

Lehigh Acres, FL

#2 Aug 23, 2009
There are several incorrect facts in this story:
Ms Fowler and her husband do not own the entire wooded area she speaks of; the woods that she enjoys belong to her neighbors. She should not presume to have control over what her neighbors do on their own property with their own trees. The well is more than 100 feet from her house, well beyond minimum state regulations.
The Fowlers chose to purchase a property without mineral rights. That was their decision and they are misplacing the blame for their choice on the oil company and their neighbors.
As a resident of Broadview Heights, Ms. Fowler fails to recognize how much the oil and gas wells on city property have benefited her in terms of the hundreds of thousands of dollars that the City has gained for their schools and other local projects.
Mike in Ohio

Warren, OH

#3 Aug 23, 2009
drill baby drill..........

“One Sarcastic Dog.”

Since: Jul 09

Juvenalian Satire

#4 Aug 23, 2009
yes the rigs are noisy and run 24/7 but after that its all gone. all that would remain is the pumphead and tanks. they are small and quiet.
Charles Russell

Findlay, OH

#5 Aug 24, 2009
The residents of Broadview Heights are very fortunate to be sitting on a large deposit of natural gas and oil. Many communities would love to be in that position where the city leaders would be able to increase city revenues to help with schools, parks, and senior care by receiving revenues from oil and gas royalties. The energy footprint of an oil or gas well takes the smallest amount of space of any energy source today. If you are fortunate to be involved with any of the good operators that drill in Cuyahoga County under Housebill 278 you should be thankful. The people that complain about the small distruption in their lives should consider what their sacrifice is versus the young men and women in our armed forces who are in combat in the Middle East protecting America's interests there and keeping the world's energy supplies opened.
Stop the Propaganda

Columbus, OH

#6 Aug 24, 2009
This is terrible reporting and without a doubt completely one sided. An oil and gas well has the smallest environmental footprint of any energy source --- and produces DECADES of clean DOMESTIC energy supplies. The average well diameter is about the size of a soccer ball, and the final foot print of the physical well is about the size of an average dining room.
To date there has been over 273,000 wells drilled in Ohio. Drilling has also been going on in developed areas (residential neighborhoods, churches, schools, businesses, et al) since the late 1800s. For those that have a hard time with math, this means almost 145 years prior to HB 278.
I live in a residential neighborhood where there is an oil and gas well that has been producing for over 25 years. While I don’t receive any royalties, I’m proud that our community is producing some of our own energy. I continue to be amazed that these very same people objecting to local energy development use the very energy source that is supplied and produced by hundreds of communities throughout the state. 7 out of every 10 homes use natural gas ---- and natural gas can only come from a well. I strongly recommend that these individuals be BANNED from the ability to use all petroleum resources (natural gas, crude oil ----- and the thousands of products refined from these raw materials). They won’t of course ------ because they think energy comes from a hole in the wall ----- and milk comes from a grocery store! Good grief ---- these folks need a reality check!
This propaganda has got to stop, and reporters need to hold themselves accountable for their content instead of going after headlines filled with scare tactics to capture viewers! Communities should stand PROUD that they are doing something to reduce our dependence on foreign energy instead of just talking about it. Good for the citizens of Broadview Heights --- except the Fowler’s, perhaps they should go live in a cave without any energy!
informed person

Ravenna, OH

#7 Aug 25, 2009
Those wells aren't just drilled wherever the driller wants to drill. The property owners (the city, fellow neihbors, or whoever owns the land) agree to the wells being drilled on thier - I repeat their property. House bill 278 does not force any landowner to have a well drilled on anyones property. Evidently all those complaining about the drilling suffer from what's known as (I can see the land behind my house so I own it) WRONG. Complain to the land owners in your area if you want the drilling stopped. Cash is usually offered to land owners(7-8%) of the wells profit to put a well on their property(nice sum of cash). Those that are in on the profits sit back silently and let those that are not complain.
truth

Cleveland, OH

#8 Aug 26, 2009
If the oil company want to drill wells in your backyard within 100 feet, and you do not get anything since you do not have mineral rights, will you agree with this?

It is absolutely no!!! Stop the drilling! It is easy to say somthing without being hurt.
joe

Youngstown, OH

#9 Aug 26, 2009
the well is not on her property why should she control what someone else does with their property
Property rights

Craigsville, VA

#10 Aug 26, 2009
truth wrote:
If the oil company want to drill wells in your backyard within 100 feet, and you do not get anything since you do not have mineral rights, will you agree with this?
It is absolutely no!!! Stop the drilling! It is easy to say somthing without being hurt.
Of course they might not agree with it but they signed a contract giving up those rights when they bought their property. I am glad we still live in a place where property rights are respected. People have the right to their property.

I think the reporters should do a better job with this story instead of just reporting the one side of the issue. Someone needs to check with all the landowners in broadview heights who are already a part of well units to see what they think about this issue.
informed person

AOL

#11 Aug 26, 2009
The mayor is correct when it comes to drilling wells on private property-house bill 278 lets the property owner decide the use of his/her land. When it comes to negotiations the mayor failed to inform the reporter that the negotiations were just for city property being drilled on(private property owners negotiate their own requirements) so now we understand the city voted to have these wells drilled on city property. Elected officials in your city voted to have these wells drilled. Find out who they are and get rid of them.
Concerned Resident

Broadview Heights, OH

#12 Aug 31, 2009
Still waiting for the news channels to do the rest of the story, how about the other side of the story, huh, did you forget that from journalism school or checking sources for accuracy?? Where is you editor??
outside observer

Cleveland, OH

#13 Aug 30, 2011
Do those of you who are defending the drilling have one in your back yard? Do you live within 100 feet of one? Would you want one in your backyard? The concerns of the residents are legitimate and should not be so easily dismissed.
Carol Chattin Grant

Crawfordville, FL

#14 Sep 7, 2011
Years ago, I moved from Broadview Heights to seek my fortunes or misfortunes. I lived my entire childhood in BH and graduated in 1960 from Brecksville High School (before the school was moved to Mill Road and changed its name to BBHHS. Before I was born, my father dug an artesian well and it was at the rear of the house. I can remember that the water there was always the coldest. But there was always a thin coast of oil floating on top of the water. After we brushed away the oil, us kids drank the water. Mom and Dad didn't see anything wrong with this.

Now I'm reading about oil wells in BH. Where are they? What section of town? Our property has been on the market for years, but since the ecomomic breakdown, our property still exists unsold.

b
Charles Russell

Findlay, OH

#15 Sep 7, 2011
outside observer wrote:
Do those of you who are defending the drilling have one in your back yard? Do you live within 100 feet of one? Would you want one in your backyard? The concerns of the residents are legitimate and should not be so easily dismissed.
Why yes, yes I do own an oil well ON my property.
Charles Russell

Findlay, OH

#16 Sep 7, 2011
Why yes, yes I do own an oil well ON my property.
john vranic

Levittown, NY

#17 Sep 27, 2011
Npthing but greed. take your oil wells and shove it.
outside observer

Cleveland, OH

#18 Oct 28, 2011
On 110/28/11, there was a major leak in an oil well that was fracked just 2 weeks ago. People in the Oakwood section smelled these gases and reported it to the fire dept. The oil company had to close the well for repairs. The fire dept. said it was just hours away from exploding. The same oil company just recently completed another repair on a different well. So much for the argument that these wells are safe. These wells are in the back yards of homeowners who never saw this coming. Property values will be affected by this not to mention the health hazards. To those greedy people who think they're going to get rich on Texas Tea, I hope you fail. To those politicians who endorse these doings.....please reconsider. There is more to life than the almighty dollar...what kind of state do we live in? Where do our values lie?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broadview Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homeowners in Brecksville hope to sell land for... Dec '16 kwc 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 21
Why I hate the police (Dec '10) Nov '16 Ohio 2
News Fight against housing complex continues Nov '16 Akron1415 1
Shooting investigation Nov '16 CleveColumbus 1
Dry ice? (Jun '16) Jun '16 mobile99 1
Sprint service in Broadview Heights? (Jan '15) Jan '15 Josh 1

Broadview Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance