Justice For Couple Killed in Hinckley...

Justice For Couple Killed in Hinckley Accident

There are 12 comments on the WOIO story from Mar 9, 2009, titled Justice For Couple Killed in Hinckley Accident. In it, WOIO reports that:

A Medina County man set to be tried in an accident that killed two Strongville teens has pleaded no contest.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOIO.

POH Reader

Erie, PA

#1 Apr 27, 2009
I just heard that Andrei Zaharie only got 10 years for taking Marco DaDante's and Samantha Archer's young and innocent lives. I am so dumb-founded! What is wrong with our justice system? Their lives were worth alot more than any time he could ever serve. He pretty much got a slap on the wrist. It's just really unbelievable, I mean a drug dealer, rapist or a thief gets more time than that, even people that are abusive to their pets get more time! Is the judge or the Police Dept. friends with Mr. Zaharie's family or something, because it looks that way to alot of people. It's pretty crappy when young and innocent human lives are taken by someone who drove carelessly at 99mph on a 45mph road, and the law could care-a-less about the lives that were lost, and the families that this guy destroyed. May God have mercy on those souls that obviously don't care about human life, especially so young. I wonder if the decision would've been different if it were one of their children that was killed?!

My heart goes out to Marco's and Samantha's familes and loved ones. My thoughts and prayers are always with them and Marco and Samantha. May Marco and Samantha rest in peace forever. May God be with them all.
friend

Warren, OH

#2 Apr 27, 2009
POH Reader wrote:
I just heard that Andrei Zaharie only got 10 years for taking Marco DaDante's and Samantha Archer's young and innocent lives. I am so dumb-founded! What is wrong with our justice system? Their lives were worth alot more than any time he could ever serve. He pretty much got a slap on the wrist. It's just really unbelievable, I mean a drug dealer, rapist or a thief gets more time than that, even people that are abusive to their pets get more time! Is the judge or the Police Dept. friends with Mr. Zaharie's family or something, because it looks that way to alot of people. It's pretty crappy when young and innocent human lives are taken by someone who drove carelessly at 99mph on a 45mph road, and the law could care-a-less about the lives that were lost, and the families that this guy destroyed. May God have mercy on those souls that obviously don't care about human life, especially so young. I wonder if the decision would've been different if it were one of their children that was killed?!
My heart goes out to Marco's and Samantha's familes and loved ones. My thoughts and prayers are always with them and Marco and Samantha. May Marco and Samantha rest in peace forever. May God be with them all.
We are friends of the family and he actually received the maximum sentence that the judge could impose. It is not enough, but the judge could have had him serve each of his five year sentences concurrently instead of consecutively. He did give him the maximum he was legally allowed to.
Forgiveness

Kelleys Island, OH

#3 Apr 27, 2009
Andrei Zaharie is a great person. He made a mistake. The same mistake (speeding) that lots of young people and adults make. It doesn't always end as tragically as this, but what if? What if it was your 21 year old son joy riding and veered a foot to the left? Did he mean to kill those poor kids? Did he mean to hurt his friends? No!!! If he serves 1, 10, or 100 years it will never change the past. You're comparing a kid that made a juvenile mistake to drug dealers and rapists. Andre is nothing like those people. Our prayers are with the families and friends of Marco & Samantha....also with the friends and family of Andre Zaharie.
Jdjr912

Stow, OH

#4 Apr 28, 2009
Ohh he is a good person...well then lets let him out...we did not realize he was a good person. GOOD PEOPLE DONT KILL OTHER PEOPLE...he had been in trouble for speeding before and yet he still drove like a fool

I say sentance him to life and make every driver's ED class review this case.

Poor little deadbeat...damn I wish I know he was a good person...i would not have been so hard on him.
Heartwrenching story

Warren, OH

#5 Apr 28, 2009
In response to the post saying he should have received more time..Murderers have received shorter sentences than this kid. Do I think he deserved the maximum sentence..of course. Mistakes are learned with time but this is not a mistake that most people have to deal with. Young people speed.. true but going 99 mph in a 45.. COME ON! Justice has been served and forgiveness is something that can only be given from the victim's family and friends.
Hinckley Mom

Aurora, OH

#6 Apr 30, 2009
What he did was was careless and showed he had no respect for his life nor another innnocent persons life. I agree that he got off easy in comparison to the lifelong of hurt that the two families were sentenced with. There was no excuse in the world nor any apology for driving 99 mph on that side road. Why is it that the idiots never get hurt in these type of crashes???? It makes me sick every time I drive down that road.
alright

Tempe, AZ

#7 May 2, 2009
oh, please.
andrie was not a bad person.
what he did, yes it shows he was careless.
However he did not do it intentionally.
DO NOT compare him to murderers and rapeists.
he truly was a good person.
I have known him since I was born.
Everyone speeds.
Today, some minors are driving without even having their license or permit.
Why aren't people concerened about that?
Say what ever you want, however I know Andrei is truly sorry and he dose not deserve longer than 10 years.
POH Reader

Erie, PA

#8 May 4, 2009
Yes, people do drive faster than their supposed to for the most part. And, I agree that they should have this tragedy shown as part of the Drivers' Ed Class as well. I hope and pray that people will learn from this so that no other other young and innocent victims lose their precious lives. I'm sorry, but Andrei Zaharie does deserve more time than 10 years! Is that all a young human life is worth?! Come on..., it was careless decision to go 99mph that day. When you're speeding like that, especially on a road like that, there's always that chance you could lose control. Hell, you could lose control doing the speed limit. But, he obviously didn't care if anyone else was on the road, so to me that's kinda pre-meditated. When you're driving at that high of speed INTENTIONALLY, you're asking for trouble, and he obviously didn't care. Maybe Andrei Zaharie is a nice person, but that doesn't have anything to do with his ignorance. I'm sure he is sorry..., he has to spend 10 years in prison now. Gee, sorry for that. He took two young and beautiful people's lives. Their families have to go through life without their children now because of what he did. It's a parent's worse nightmare and Andrei Zaharie caused it. No parent should lose their child, especially so young and in such a tragic way. It makes me sick to just think about it. Andrei Zaharie has ruined both Marco's and Samantha's families' lives. I'm very sad for them, I could only imagine what they are going through.

I know Mr. Zaharie got the maximum sentence he could get in this case, and I'm glad he got the maximum, but I think the maximum sentence should've been higher. At least he's still alive and his family doens't have to mourn everday. And, I really hate to say this, but I want to know too..., how do two innocent, young people die, but yet the guy who was driving so fast and reckless survives such a horrific crash? I just don't understand that at all!

I think parents really need to drill it into their childrens' heads about the consequences that could and would happen if they drive reckless and speed. I know I've drilled it into my son's head when this happened, and I'm going to keep drilling it into his head, so that when he's old enough to drive, he'll obey the roadway laws, and value his and other people's lives.
She was my sister

Louisville, KY

#9 Oct 12, 2013
alright wrote:
oh, please.
andrie was not a bad person.
what he did, yes it shows he was careless.
However he did not do it intentionally.
DO NOT compare him to murderers and rapeists.
he truly was a good person.
I have known him since I was born.
Everyone speeds.
Today, some minors are driving without even having their license or permit.
Why aren't people concerened about that?
Say what ever you want, however I know Andrei is truly sorry and he dose not deserve longer than 10 years.
It's years later and I don't know if you'll ever see this, but I was looking back at posts and have something to say. Samantha was my sister, and please take note that is past tense because she is gone now. I was 15 when the accident happened and I lost the person I looked up to and my best friend who would have always been there for me. You may know Andrei and say he is sorry but in between the time of the accident to the time of the day he was sentenced, he never once tried to say sorry to either mine or the Dadante family. You can also say he made a juvenile mistake by speeding, but he was going 99 in a 45. In my opinion, that is past juvenile and becomes reckless and careless. There is also the fact he almost hit a motorcycles only so many miles before he hit my sisters car. They gave him the maximum sentence because that was his warning to slow down, but ignored that warning and kept with his careless speed. Always know your facts before getting into a debate with only the back up of him being "nice." Back to past tense. Samantha WAS my sister. She is gone now. Andrei only has just over 5 more years to serve his sentence and then will be released to his family. They will be able to see him every day, laugh with him, grow up with him, and see him live his life. He will get out at the age of 32, maybe 33 and he is still young. I want every day of my life to be able to have all that with my sister. I want to not have to see my parents in the worst pain every single July for the rest of my life, but I do. His "juvenile" mistake changed, almost destroyed, my family.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#10 Oct 16, 2013
Good thing he did not run into and kill Trayvon Martin
Oregon dad

Portland, OR

#11 Apr 7, 2014
I am sorry for your loss I have recently lost my son to a car accident 11/14/2013 he was 26 he was also Andrei Zaharie friend from Oregon they went to school together. So not only what Andrei did cost you your sister he now has lost a best friend and will never get to see again. I know you think this is karma or justice. I feel the same pain as your parents having lost my son I know what this road we have to walk feels like and its not good. Prayers to you and your family

Since: Jul 16

Olmsted Falls, OH

#12 Jul 20, 2016
Ok you say Andrei is a good person and didn't mean to kill two lives but he lost his license previously for speeding and was caught with drugs prior to this incident so if he didn't learn his lesson then how will he ever. I get having this with him for the rest of his
Life and probably not being able to get a good job but he should have thought about that. He was 21! Not some 16 year old kid not knowing better. He has a lot of learning to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broadview Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Friend? Mar 19 WestVee 1
News AkronTheft offensesPierre... (Jun '08) Mar 4 Proud daughter 13
News George family to run Tangier again (Dec '07) Jan '17 Dannawally 157
News Homeowners in Brecksville hope to sell land for... Dec '16 kwc 1
the music thread (Mar '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 21
Why I hate the police (Dec '10) Nov '16 Ohio 2
News Fight against housing complex continues Nov '16 Akron1415 1

Broadview Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance