Infant Found Unresponsive At Daycare Facility -- Courant.com

Investigators are trying to determine why a three-month old baby boy was found unresponsive at a day care facility in the Broad Brook section of town Monday morning, police said. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#1 Oct 9, 2007
Cracks me up that on WFSB this morning the provider's neighbor, while laughing, said that accidents will happen. I am sure she would like to believe it was an accident but it is too soon to tell. The child is in critical condition with 'trauma'. When will women learn it is not worth it to have an 'illegal' daycare. I don't understand why someone would. Are there not certain protections for providers when they are licensed? Is there some reason she did not want the state involved in her 'business?'. I will be waiting to see where this goes...as I pray for the infant and his family.
local

Woodstock, CT

#2 Oct 9, 2007
Don't LICENSED providers have to be CPR certified?
Rebecca

Windsor Locks, CT

#3 Oct 9, 2007
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the infant and friends of the family.
EW Ties

South Windsor, CT

#4 Oct 9, 2007
Monitor wrote:
Cracks me up that on WFSB this morning the provider's neighbor, while laughing, said that accidents will happen. I am sure she would like to believe it was an accident but it is too soon to tell. The child is in critical condition with 'trauma'. When will women learn it is not worth it to have an 'illegal' daycare. I don't understand why someone would. Are there not certain protections for providers when they are licensed? Is there some reason she did not want the state involved in her 'business?'. I will be waiting to see where this goes...as I pray for the infant and his family.
I do not know this women however, I am familiar with why many women chose to do this in home care without liceses. It is actually cheaper for the parent who puts their child in their care. It is tax free to the p[erson who is receiving it and they can still be on welfare or whatever. I've seen it before. It doesn't sound like the actual babysitter did anything to this baby. I'm thinking one of the kids. maybe they dropped the baby etc. It was a school day off. She may have been watching a few kids for only the day. It's so sad when an innocent baby is harmed. I think they will end up ruling this an accident. Not that she won't be charged anyway.
city pity

Hartford, CT

#5 Oct 9, 2007
The neighbor on todays WFSB was smiling the whole time she provided non-information about this case. What an idiot. I'm saddened by this news.....there will be a lot of explaining to do here....let's hope the baby is okay - the provider and parents won't be.
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#6 Oct 9, 2007
local wrote:
Don't LICENSED providers have to be CPR certified?
Yes....but she was NOT licensed.
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#7 Oct 9, 2007
Perhaps having to be CPR certified is one of the advantages of licensing. She got away with it for ten years. Parents are responsible for providing quality...licensed daycare. Even then there are no guarantees for safety but at least there is some oversite.
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#8 Oct 9, 2007
EW Ties wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know this women however, I am familiar with why many women chose to do this in home care without liceses. It is actually cheaper for the parent who puts their child in their care. It is tax free to the p[erson who is receiving it and they can still be on welfare or whatever. I've seen it before. It doesn't sound like the actual babysitter did anything to this baby. I'm thinking one of the kids. maybe they dropped the baby etc. It was a school day off. She may have been watching a few kids for only the day. It's so sad when an innocent baby is harmed. I think they will end up ruling this an accident. Not that she won't be charged anyway.
1) It is NOT cheaper for the parent as the provider sets the rate.

2) It is NOT legal to run a daycare with a license (I believe if you are caring for more than 5 kids)

3) Tax free childcare? What does that mean?

4) The fact that she has been running a daycare
for more than 10 years, and the fact that
Monday was a school day off...would indicate
that she had MORE kids than usual.

5) The police have determined by whatever evidence
is currently available...that this is
suspicious.
wrtaylor

Palo Alto, CA

#9 Oct 9, 2007
Based on the information I've gathered from this story, it's unclear to me whether this infant was on the verge of succumbing to SIDS and there was no one on hand that had the training to revive him or if this was a blantant case of neglect and foul play on the part of the provider?
EW Ties

South Windsor, CT

#10 Oct 9, 2007
Monitor wrote:
<quoted text>
1) It is NOT cheaper for the parent as the provider sets the rate.
2) It is NOT legal to run a daycare with a license (I believe if you are caring for more than 5 kids)
3) Tax free childcare? What does that mean?
4) The fact that she has been running a daycare
for more than 10 years, and the fact that
Monday was a school day off...would indicate
that she had MORE kids than usual.
5) The police have determined by whatever evidence
is currently available...that this is
suspicious.
1) It is less expensive putting a child in the care of an unlicensed caregiver than a licensed one.
2)I agree it is not legal (people break the law all the time)
3) Tax free means making the money under the table so you do not pay into income tax.(thus the break for the parents)
4) I appologize I did not read she has been doing this for 10 years. I had seen an interview last night, an elderly neighbor who said she does not advertise daycare, people just know she loves kids and will babysit them.
5)Suspicious could also mean accident. dropped on the head etc.
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#11 Oct 9, 2007
wrtaylor wrote:
Based on the information I've gathered from this story, it's unclear to me whether this infant was on the verge of succumbing to SIDS and there was no one on hand that had the training to revive him or if this was a blantant case of neglect and foul play on the part of the provider?
SIDS scenario quite possible. If that is the case she would be negligent because as an 'unlicensed' provider...she did not have to meet the requirements and standards that may have saved his life. Agree?
Early Childhood Adv

Hartford, CT

#12 Oct 9, 2007
You wanted to be a parent(s) well i suggest you stay home with your children. Afterall, this is (not this case) the thanks we providers get anyway..so...stay home!
CT Resident

South Windsor, CT

#13 Oct 9, 2007
Early Childhood Adv wrote:
You wanted to be a parent(s) well i suggest you stay home with your children. Afterall, this is (not this case) the thanks we providers get anyway..so...stay home!
If your a provider, what are you doing on the computer now? Shouldn't you be watching some children?
just my opinion

East Hartford, CT

#14 Oct 9, 2007
Early Childhood Adv wrote:
What?
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#15 Oct 9, 2007
EW Ties wrote:
<quoted text>
1) It is less expensive putting a child in the care of an unlicensed caregiver than a licensed one.
2)I agree it is not legal (people break the law all the time)
3) Tax free means making the money under the table so you do not pay into income tax.(thus the break for the parents)
4) I appologize I did not read she has been doing this for 10 years. I had seen an interview last night, an elderly neighbor who said she does not advertise daycare, people just know she loves kids and will babysit them.
5)Suspicious could also mean accident. dropped on the head etc.
Since I indicated that it is not cheaper because the provider sets the rate, perhaps you can be more clear instead of just saying it IS cheaper.

I understand the definition of tax free but I don't see how that pertains to paying for daycare. In fact, folks who pay childcare expenses are given a tax credit. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The definition of suspicion is questionable.
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#16 Oct 9, 2007
Gotta grab brunch...be right back. lol
ros

Oakville, CT

#17 Oct 9, 2007
Monitor wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I indicated that it is not cheaper because the provider sets the rate, perhaps you can be more clear instead of just saying it IS cheaper.
I understand the definition of tax free but I don't see how that pertains to paying for daycare. In fact, folks who pay childcare expenses are given a tax credit. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The definition of suspicion is questionable.
Who cares about the price of daycare or tax credits. The story is sad enough.
Monitor

Hartford, CT

#18 Oct 9, 2007
ros wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares about the price of daycare or tax credits. The story is sad enough.
It's called dialogue. IF this case had gone to court we would have been reading all about the price of daycare. Get over yourself.
ros

Oakville, CT

#19 Oct 9, 2007
Monitor wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called dialogue. IF this case had gone to court we would have been reading all about the price of daycare. Get over yourself.
no need for the nasty response :(
ros

Oakville, CT

#20 Oct 9, 2007
Monitor wrote:
<quoted text>
no need for the nasty response :(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broad Brook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Travel Deals scam now in CT (Jun '11) Dec 10 Todd7777 77
Joe Schweitzer hit by car (Dec '08) Dec 5 jeff 17
Two Enfield Cops Disciplined for Roles in Boat ... Dec 3 melissa 4
South Windsor Police: Former Resident Kidnapped... (Sep '10) Dec 2 private 48
Small Business Saturday: Corporate Catch Phrase... Nov 30 ZariaandBellas 1
bradley airport terminal delta Nov 26 Larry 1
Did your propane company over charge you in 2013 (May '13) Nov '14 Dak 3
Broad Brook Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web