Posting Names And Negative Comments o...

Posting Names And Negative Comments on the Internet

Posted in the Bristol Forum

The Truth

Bristol, VA

#1 Mar 2, 2011
I recently read and saw on the news that if you post something bad about a person on the internet, anywhere, facebook, this site, etc. that you can be sued and prosecuted for slander by that person!
You can also find out who did it if you have someone that can trace your IP address. Wow, people better watch out what they post on the internet!!!!! You know what they always say, be careful what you put in writing!!!It can come back to BITE you!!!
The Real Truth

United States

#2 Mar 2, 2011
The truth will stand when nothing else will and if it is the truth it is not considered slander.
another different opinion

Johnson City, TN

#3 Mar 2, 2011
The Truth wrote:
I recently read and saw on the news that if you post something bad about a person on the internet, anywhere, facebook, this site, etc. that you can be sued and prosecuted for slander by that person!
You can also find out who did it if you have someone that can trace your IP address. Wow, people better watch out what they post on the internet!!!!! You know what they always say, be careful what you put in writing!!!It can come back to BITE you!!!
try listening to the entire story. it's liable not slander. dont post peoples names on the internet and you should be fine.
Liable

Bristol, VA

#4 Mar 2, 2011
Which means you are legally responsible: You are liable for the damage caused by your action. The truth is the truth though. You gotta prove damage was done as the result of your actions or words.

Bristol, TN

#5 Mar 3, 2011
You all are wrong. It is LIBEL not LIABLE
Libel
Libel is defined as defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.[13] The law of libel originated in the 17th century in England. With the growth of publication came the growth of libel and development of the tort of libel.

Liable comes from liability
Legal liability is the legal bound obligation to pay debts.[1]
In law a person is said to be legally liable when they are financially and legally responsible for something. Legal liability concerns both civil law and criminal law. See Strict liability. Under English law, with the passing of the Theft Act 1978, it is an offense to evade a liability dishonestly. Payment of damages usually resolved the liability. Vicarious liability arises under the common law doctrine of agency – respondeat superior – the responsibility of the superior for the acts of their subordinate.
In commercial law, limited liability is a form of business ownership in which business owners are legally responsible for no more than the amount that they have contributed to a venture. If for example, a business goes bankrupt an owner with limited liability will not lose unrelated assets such as a personal residence (assuming they do not give personal guarantees). This is the standard model for larger businesses, in which a shareholder will only lose the amount invested (in the form of stock value decreasing). For an explanation see business entity.
Manufacturer's liability is a legal concept in most countries that reflects the fact that producers have a responsibility not to sell a defective product. See product liability.
LIBEL

Bristol, VA

#6 Mar 3, 2011
li·bel

Law .
a.
defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.
b.
the act or crime of publishing it.
c.
a formal written declaration or statement, as one containing the allegations of a plaintiff or the grounds of a charge.
anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.
–verb (used with object)
to publish a libel against.
to misrepresent damagingly.
to institute suit against by a libel, as in an admiralty court.

—Can be confused:  1. defamation, liable, libel, slander (see usage note at liable); 2. defame, libel, slander; 3. liable, libel ; 4. libel, slander.
LIBEL

Bristol, VA

#7 Mar 3, 2011
So if you see # 4 above you have to misrepresent damaging someone. So, unless you are lieing/misrepresenting someone you are free to speak the truth.
Sleepy

Bristol, VA

#8 Mar 3, 2011
That would be libel, not slander. Slander is when you say something thay is defaming and false. Libel is when you write something that is defaming and false.
The Truth wrote:
Mellow

Bristol, VA

#9 Mar 3, 2011
If you have a few minutes, try reading the Paducah Topix. The Topix forum here is very mild compared to that one - and they very freely mention full names. :-)
Question

Bristol, VA

#11 Mar 3, 2011
Can anything be done to an adult going around spreading lies on a minor? Vicious lies of this minor doing things that they are not doing, like destruction of property, break in, etc.
Name Calling

Bristol, VA

#12 Mar 3, 2011
So...if someone is calling someone a bitch, slut, whore, and using their name, what can happen..How do you prove or not prove these statements are true or false?

Or, if someone owns a business and another business is spreading lies and gossip about that business, what can be done???

Can you answer that "Reply" or "Libel", and are you a lawyer?
Freedom

Bristol, VA

#14 Mar 3, 2011
Freedom of Speech Baby, Freedom of Speech!!!
name calling

Bristol, VA

#15 Mar 3, 2011
Good so I can call that person a bitch & slut!!! good I will!
Also, my husband call call that other wrecker company exactly what they are too!!!
Laughing

Bristol, VT

#16 Mar 5, 2011
Why don't you hillbillies get some education and learn to spell?
another different opinion

Johnson City, TN

#17 Mar 5, 2011
Laughing wrote:
Why don't you hillbillies get some education and learn to spell?
why don't you go play with yourself?
Laughing

Bristol, VT

#18 Mar 5, 2011
If I'm talking to you, that's just like "playing with myself", dontcha think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bristol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 1 hr Perfect male species 14,962
$9 Toy Watch for kid electronic watch on iluxsh... 2 hr Ding 1
Another Place to Drop a Hello ... 3 hr Eternal truth 1,535
Kristin, Mandy & Keith 4 hr Betrayed 10
The confederate flag situation is Race-bait! 22 hr Frankly 3
Which 2 council members voted against Doug Flee... Tue Cronyism must stop 2
Donating Plasma rocks! Jul 27 sereen 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bristol Mortgages