tennwife

United States

#41 Dec 24, 2012
I was there last week and was extremely happy with my visit. I was extremely ill. About 2 months ago I got a severe spider bite, it was nasty, on my upper arm about 4 inches from the armpit. The thing had a nasty center, eating my flesh black, and then a red circle bigger than a dinner plate coming around my arm including the armpit, flaming red, hot and skin peeling off like a sunburn. This was the first of Nov....I went to urgent care in piney flats, they lanced it, sent me home with antibodics and lortabs. Everything seemed OK then the lymph nodes under my armpit got swollen, hard like marbles and full of infection let over from the spider bite. My blood pressure and heart ratethe roof trying to fight of this devil spider bite/infection. Dr James Luna of the Bristol ER treated me. I am extremely satisfied with the care of I got from all the staff. He lanced up under my arm pit, more antibodics and loratabs and I was out of there. A week later I feel good.
like woah

Johnson City, TN

#42 Feb 2, 2013
I went in with extreme facial pain, and weakness in the left side of my body, and face..I had to spell the name of my disorder (Trigeminal Neuralgia) for the triage nurse. I was having such a bad attack about a month before I was scheduled to have brain surgery at Duke University. The PA told me I was having a migraine.(I knew I wasn't due to having dealt with the same issue for almost two years) It just happened to be on a weekend, and I was instructed to go to the ER by my Neurologist..Bristol Happened to be the closest..The pt clerk checked me in quickly and wheeled me to the middle of the waiting room where I sat until they called my name, then they didn't come get me... they made me get out of the wheel chair and walk to them.. at this point I wasn't sure if I was getting ready to have a seizure, or a stroke, or if it was just a bad TN attack...and then treated me like a common criminal and kept asked me about drug use, and insinuated that I drank alcohol, telling me that my medicines could make me feel like I had a hang over.. NEWS FLASH MELISSA HARTWELL... NOT EVERYONE DRINKS!!!.. only after I showed them my papers from my Neurosurgeon from Duke with my surgery date on it did they take my seriously and treat me for my condition. Also my 5 year old nephew went out there throwing up horribly and crying, and they sat and waited for almost an hour until my sister gave up and took him to Abingdon.. well.. right upon arrival at Abingdon they found that he had an en strangulated hernia and they had to transport him to JCMC for emergency surgery.(THANKS BRMC ER) MSHA is a fabulous alternative, they have always been so compassionate, and educated anytime any of my family or I have been there...After my surgery.. I contracted spinal meningitis, and so instead of going to BRMC (because I knew better) I went to JCMC, and they had a wheel chair waiting at the door for me, and had Duke University on the phone in triage to see what course of action they needed to take since I was a nuero patient of theirs ..they were awesome!! I will never again put my health in BRMC ER hands. They obviously do not care about their patients. Its a shame really.
erz

United States

#43 Feb 3, 2013
I really think they dont care too. If they did they would be smiling and not have that dreadful look on their face. They need to get a life
Joey

Bristol, VA

#44 Feb 3, 2013
The moral of that place is down. A lot of it deals with management.

Since: Aug 12

Bristol, VA

#45 Feb 3, 2013
its pretty bad when your sister in law was in a managment position in the er and she is so fed up she took a several dollar pay cut and stepped down
Well

Charlotte, NC

#46 Feb 4, 2013
Now they have hired Sherry Shephard. A MSHA reject. That will kill moral for sure. That ball busting bitch reminds me of Beula Ballbricker from the old Porky's movies.

I pulled clinicals as JCMC when she was there. I have never in my life been spoken to so condescendingly!!!!! She treated everyone around her as if they were beneath her. She called for them by wiggling her finger like you would call for a dog or small child and snapped her fingers at people to get their attention.

She was RUDE to say the least. Her bitch attitude will carry over in the Bristol ER, I'm sure.

She also took over as president of the local ENA and came to 1 meeting and barked orders on how things would be from then on....then never showed back up for another meeting I'm told.

Good luck Bristol ER with that one!!!!
erz

Los Angeles, CA

#47 Feb 5, 2013
@newfam4~ not sure who ur sister-in-law is but the last two n management at ER got fired from their positions. They did not step down. Director Kay Garrett & Nurse Manager Stacy Burke were both fired. hehehe They both got what they ask for by the way they treated ppl.
Well

Charlotte, NC

#48 Feb 5, 2013
newfam4 wrote:
its pretty bad when your sister in law was in a managment position in the er and she is so fed up she took a several dollar pay cut and stepped down
This is the story she told you, but the truth is that she was told to take another job or be fired completely. It wasn't her choice, I assure you.
glad

Candler, NC

#49 Feb 5, 2013
Your feeling better angie.

Bristol, VA

#50 Feb 5, 2013
actually i seen the papers myself and none of the ladies you mentioned is her... so if you know her then get the name straight...mind you i am talking about the er dept with registration
erz

United States

#51 Feb 5, 2013
@newfam4 if u r taalking about er reg I know who ur talking about.Tall girl wit blonde shoulder length hair i am glad to c see her step down cause a nice person can not have these jos.. You got to be a back staabbing b*ch and liar..

Bristol, VA

#52 Feb 6, 2013
nice yes backstabbing bitch n liar nope
erz

Los Angeles, CA

#53 Feb 6, 2013
In the staff meeting Beula Ballbrecker and Clara Ballbrecker pretty much told everyone if u didnt want to be there to leave. Thats a good name for them b*tches
TraumaDoc

Bristol, VA

#54 Feb 12, 2013
I would love to see all of you try to run a hospital or emergency department. Obviously 95% of you don't know the first thing about hospital administration, nursing, or healthcare policy for that matter. Take a step in an ER nurse's shoes for a 12+ hour shift and see how well you handle it.
NonTraumaDoc

Rock Hill, SC

#55 Feb 20, 2013
TraumaDoc wrote:
I would love to see all of you try to run a hospital or emergency department. Obviously 95% of you don't know the first thing about hospital administration, nursing, or healthcare policy for that matter. Take a step in an ER nurse's shoes for a 12+ hour shift and see how well you handle it.
Beulah Ballbricker quit on Clara Ballbricker ....just like she has done every other job she had. Hilarious. Apparently she couldn't handle a shift in the ER either.
nursing

AOL

#56 Feb 22, 2013
I understand how everyone is upset with the er, if you worked there you would understand, we have so many patients that come in with things that can be treated by your primary care provider that it takes up time for people who are emergencies. The nurses have to wait on the doctors!We have so many drug seekers that it has congested our er's.Wellmont is trying to make the er a better place but I think it will take time.I know several people that work in the er, and I know that they work hard! Maybe everyone that is fussing should look into getting a job in this field, I think you would feel differently about it!
nonsense

Johnson City, TN

#57 Feb 22, 2013
nursing wrote:
I understand how everyone is upset with the er, if you worked there you would understand, we have so many patients that come in with things that can be treated by your primary care provider that it takes up time for people who are emergencies. The nurses have to wait on the doctors!We have so many drug seekers that it has congested our er's.Wellmont is trying to make the er a better place but I think it will take time.I know several people that work in the er, and I know that they work hard! Maybe everyone that is fussing should look into getting a job in this field, I think you would feel differently about it!
I happen to know someone who went into that ER with leg pain, they gave him the famous BRMC ER drug speech. Two days later he was back, but this time he was dead. He had a pulmonary embolism that traveled from that same leg to his lungs. His death could have been prevented if they had just taken the time to investigate instead of assuming he just wanted pain pills.
ToTraumaDocs

Bristol, VA

#58 Feb 22, 2013
To everyone out there most of us responding are trauma nurses that are working there or has worked there. We know how things are in that place. So don't assume we are patients or don't know whats going on. Depends on who you are is how you are treated as far as the "point" system. One good thing about the ER is Kay Garrett and Stacy Burke got fired from their positions. They both were very incompendent for the postions they had. Clara Ballbrecker will get that place straightened out. lol
She has already got rid of her cohort. hehehe
That woman is crazy anyway cause I have worked with her. hahahahah I know how she is.
tammyhite

Bristol, VA

#59 Feb 28, 2013
TraumaDoc wrote:
and you can say they do hahaha the one in kingsport tn killed my sister and my brother in law did-int do a dam thing about it .so you cant tell me they know what there doing because that don't.
Angie

Johnson City, TN

#60 Mar 3, 2013
Hey Trauma Doc, compassion is a component that healthcare professional should have, and it isn't something that is learned from nursing school, healthcare administration, or policy... maybe that should be considered before people go into a field where compassion should be a top priority. My mother worked in a local Emergency department for 20+ years, now is a director over another local medical company where she actually writes policies, and manages nurses... so I was raised around nurses, and healthcare since the day I was born... I have never saw nurses any more "burnt out" than they are working in the Bristol ER. My mother was there with me the day the BRMC ER acted so unprofessional.. so its not only my "ignorance of of the field" that saw how this hospitals behavior. Its actually common knowledge in this town. She tried to explain, as I was in so much pain, how nurses see people over and over and become numb to peoples pain, and emotions.. I get it.. I listen to people bitch all day long.. I'm going into social work.. but you know what.. they should not be working there if they can not give the patients, each and every one the first class care, respect, and kindness that they deserve regardless of what their chief complaint is, and regardless of how important the staff may feel it is. It is important to the patient at that time.. it is their life, and they are coming to you for help.. Its the job you chose to go into, it is in the scope of your practice, and if you don't love your patients and want to help them ...find something else to do.. because quite honestly I wouldn't want a doctor who thinks that so many people are incapable of education as you stated to everyone in your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bristol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the new shoneys (Oct '13) 27 min joclo 40
Oh yeah (Jun '14) 30 min Check your heart 4,063
Men suck! 4 hr Unclear 9
Jimconrad blankenbecler 6 hr observer 1
adult viewing booths 23 hr John q 2
Dan r Tue Tru Dat 22
plasma donating make some money (Aug '12) Tue Ashie 45
Bristol Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web