Glade Spring Police Department receives two Humvees

Sep 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TriCities.com

The killer tornadoes that ripped through the region in April 2011 were the main impetus for the small department requesting the Humvees from military surplus, police Chief Matthew Mullins said.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Oct 2, 2012
neighbor

Greeneville, TN

#2 Sep 13, 2012
Great Job Chief Mullins. No one else in the town of Glade Spring seems to give a crap about our small little town. This is awesome. We have hummers! Thanks for all you do Chief!
Toby

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Sep 13, 2012
I don't know about both of them, but one is going to make an excellent float for the parade, or a vehicle for the clowns to jump out of when the circus comes to town. :D
fonda morehead

Glade Spring, VA

#4 Sep 13, 2012
Damascus PD got their 'hummers' in the DPD office a few years ago.
idk

Glade Spring, VA

#5 Sep 14, 2012
Why do we need hummers? First of all do we have any cop to drive them.
Curious

Abingdon, VA

#6 Sep 14, 2012
With the price of fuel and for what it will cost to outfit them for "Police work" not sure I see the value. Would like to see something from the Police Department about their intended use.

I could maybe see some winter time use if the weather got bad enough. If they were free though who cares right more power to them.
bubba

Johnson City, TN

#7 Sep 14, 2012
Put snow plows on them and in the winter when they patrol they could plow parking lots and driveways make some gas money
MEME

Bristol, TN

#8 Sep 18, 2012
Not being rude but scroll to top and click the link under the topic,the article is there :)
smdh

Glade Spring, VA

#9 Sep 19, 2012
Just a perfect example of goverment's wasting the tax payers money. Humvees indeed.
neighbor

Greeneville, TN

#10 Sep 19, 2012
smdh shows a perfect example of a judgemental idiot. It was donated you blow hard. Used in Iraq and brought back here and donated to towns for their use and then going to be issued back to other towns. Can't you just say..Good.. If we have a need for them - at least Glade has one. Geesh.
lol

Johnson City, TN

#11 Sep 19, 2012
Cool, what a great way NOT to waste taxpayers money by having these otherwise useless Goverment vehicles available for civilian use other than rusting in some Military graveyard! Even if it's never even used for anything more than the parade it's a local reminder of the sacrifices made by our Service Men and Women as well as an asset to the GPD. So smdh and all you other negitive-nellies need to lighten up and be thankful, if you would I promise that your heads and hearts won't explode!!!
still wasteful

Jonesborough, TN

#12 Oct 2, 2012
So Glade Spring is going to pay to maintain and upgrade those vehicles so that they'll have something handy when the next tornado doesn't hit? When was the last time Glade Spring was destroyed, and what happened to the reinforced axle buggy they bought when that happened?

If the military doesn't need that thing to fight in one of the six wars we have going on, then it was a waste for us taxpayers to buy it from AM General in the first place.

The vehicle would probably be a little bit more useful as a county asset than a city one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bristol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh yeah 16 min cheryl crow kid rock 1,200
Ryan Clark 26 min not a redneck 5
attractive ppl 3 hr curious the curioser 8
bristol goin 2 fail big time 17 hr omg 16
Holly Salyers Wed mr ed 1
Olivia Caridi - WCYB Wed Abingdon Voter 9
Van Pelt Elementary Wed Czech 1
•••
•••
•••