Amtrak Train Strikes, Kills Man Tryin...

Amtrak Train Strikes, Kills Man Trying To Cross Tracks

There are 16 comments on the NBC 10 Philadelphia story from Mar 11, 2008, titled Amtrak Train Strikes, Kills Man Trying To Cross Tracks. In it, NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that:

An Amtrak train has struck and killed a man outside Philadelphia. The accident happened around 6:30 p.m. Monday in Bristol Township, Bucks County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 10 Philadelphia.

NJ-Hostile

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Mar 11, 2008
So I guess he was drunk. Hmmm. No drinking and walking near train tracks or use extreme caution. This was a death that could of been prevented. It's a shame how some people are so careless. You only get one chance at life. Use your best judgement and choose wisely.
Angry Amtrak rider

New York, NY

#2 Mar 11, 2008
Amtrak is lying. We were on the train directly after that train and we we supposed to arrive in philly @ 7 pm and didn't get here until 10 pm. Some hour!!!
HowD

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Mar 11, 2008
I still can't figure out how someone can get hit by a train. It's not like it sneaks up on you.
ticked

Winterthur, DE

#4 Mar 11, 2008
that's a dame shame
Mandy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#6 Mar 11, 2008
I was on the train that struck the man. This was a tragic accident. My heart goes out to the family and the man driving the train.
Mandy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#7 Mar 11, 2008
And to the angry writer I was to arive at my destination at 8:00 and did not get there until almost one. You should just be thankful you got to your destination. Stop being so selfish. Someone that night didn't get to get home!!!
mandy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#9 Mar 11, 2008
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Tragic, yes. I wouldn't call it an "accident." Its not like the train ran a red light or the engineer didn't check his mirrors and changed tracks suddenly without signalling. For whatever reason, this guy decided to cross the tracks. Oh well.
No, I don't believe it was an accident on the the victims part. I don't think
the whole story is not posted, but that is not in part to say. However it is a tragic accident to the driver and the family of the gentelman.
Jones on Septa

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Mar 11, 2008
AMTRAK IS LYING. I got on the 6:30 Septa train at Trenton, and no Amtrak trains were leaving until about 9:15pm. Our Septa train didnt move until 9:45PM !..
And do I care about the person hit by the train? No. Thats why they tell you when you are 5 years old DONT CROSS THE TRACKS...
Dorian

Staten Island, NY

#11 Mar 11, 2008
I was on the train -- in fact in the front car and heard and saw more than I care to remember. The trains were indeed delayed for more than a couple hours -- at least in the southern direction. It seems a few trains were moving in the other direction within an hour or so. I took the train they offered back to New York when they said they weren't sure if or when things would be moving again.
Train Engineer

Kansas City, MO

#12 Mar 11, 2008
HowD wrote:
I still can't figure out how someone can get hit by a train. It's not like it sneaks up on you.
You live in Phoenixville. Go stand by the tracks and see how quickly you hear a train before you see it. Those trains local to you are moving at a slower speed than Amtrak. An Amtraks trains are quieter for reduced noise for passengers.
Gotta love it

Bensalem, PA

#13 Mar 11, 2008
Jones on Septa wrote:
AMTRAK IS LYING. I got on the 6:30 Septa train at Trenton, and no Amtrak trains were leaving until about 9:15pm. Our Septa train didnt move until 9:45PM !..
And do I care about the person hit by the train? No. Thats why they tell you when you are 5 years old DONT CROSS THE TRACKS...
Not everybody can be as smart as you are. I hope that when something happens to you or someone you care about that you are treated with the same caring attitude.
That train stop is confusing and dangerous especially to a new rider. There is a platform to get on and off going SB but if you get back on the same train going NB you get off into an open area right next to the tracks and you have to walk down steps to the road below and go under a bridge (nothing like the platform on the other side). The Acela train that comes through that hit the man is a high speed express that does not stop there and runs on a different track from Septa which you dont hear coming till its right on top of you.
I really feel for the driver who simply went to work and had their worst nightmare come true. I hope they get the support you need to keep driving.
michelle

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Mar 11, 2008
I was on the train going northbound after the accident and saw the body on the tracks. The cops were there but they were on the street and there was no cover on the body. The conductor didn't even seem phased and there was no mention of it. How could they let more trains pass right next to the victim? It was traumatizing. I hope no children saw it. My prayers to out to the poor man.
Rick

Wilmington, DE

#15 Mar 11, 2008
michelle wrote:
I was on the train going northbound after the accident and saw the body on the tracks. The cops were there but they were on the street and there was no cover on the body. The conductor didn't even seem phased and there was no mention of it. How could they let more trains pass right next to the victim? It was traumatizing. I hope no children saw it. My prayers to out to the poor man.
C'mon...Kids aren't traumatized anymore with all the gruesome games being played and the violence on television/news reports these days. Hardly a day goes by you can't see blood spurting and mangled bodies and screaming on the evening news. And hey, the guy was already a corpse, so what difference did it make if trains passed right next to him? I mean, people want to see that stuff because they're curious about death. I'm sure everyone was struggling to get a good look at the dead guy; that's just what people do.
Son

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Mar 12, 2008
Mandy, I appreciate you thinking of the man driving the train. My father was the engineer on that train and is devasted by the accident.
My heart goes out to the family of the man who was killed.
Son

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Mar 12, 2008
devastated rather than "devasted"
Dennis

Springfield, VA

#18 Mar 12, 2008
I was on the Northbound train immediately after they opened to northbound traffic. We were stopped right at one hour. That is as Amtrak reported (but of course, it was the best case delay - technically accurate and obviously in their favor). We were stopped only about a quarter mile from the scene. The body was lying on the gravel between the 3rd and 4th set of rails (the northbound train was on the 4th set). The body was covered by a tarp/sheet showing obvious blood stains. Police and emergency personnel were standing on the tracks and still searching up and down the tracks (with flashlights by that time). I did not that on that section of track there did not appear to be any fence between the road. I found that pretty amazing. We were stopped across from a playground so I can imagine how many kids cross that same section of track.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bristol Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joey Sighting Sep 17 Voice of Reason a... 4
Adios Sep 13 Very Concerned Re... 2
Penndel Police Sep 12 SNL 3
Why did Sue & Jim Anderson cheat Penndel out of... (Mar '16) Aug '16 Penndel Resident 31
Sicko (May '15) Aug '16 Penndel Resident 14
Hillary clinton IRS investigation Jul '16 Norman VN 1
where is some places to go with a friend when y... (Jun '08) Jul '16 Xbox 180

Bristol Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bristol Mortgages