Brighton woman's Craigslist puppy posting goes awry

There are 20 comments on the Aug 3, 2010, Fox 31 KDVR story titled Brighton woman's Craigslist puppy posting goes awry. In it, Fox 31 KDVR reports that:

BRIGHTON, Colo. - Kathryn Gold posted an ad on Craigslist for her 11-week-old shih tzu 'Kahlua' that she could no longer take care of.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 31 KDVR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hello

Aurora, CO

#1 Aug 3, 2010
You dont take checks from strangers!
DUH

Broomfield, CO

#2 Aug 3, 2010
It's her own fault for being stupid enough to take a check from a complete stranger. I don't feel bad for her at all.
Wha

Aurora, CO

#3 Aug 3, 2010
Dumbas s never take a check on Craigslist! Cash or Money Order ONLY!
John C

Greeley, CO

#4 Aug 3, 2010
In God we trust all others pay CASH The buyer can be charged with fraud as she knew the check was bad.
YUPE2Be

Denver, CO

#5 Aug 3, 2010
In God we trust....... All others pay CASH!!!
the_punnisher

Greeley, CO

#6 Aug 3, 2010
The BBB is often as much a scam artist as the ones you find on Craigslist!

Read their history; they are the " old boys network " that businesses PAY for a good rating! If a business doesn't pay into the shakedown boy's kitty, the BBB will dis the company...
On the same level, once you have paid their shakedown boys, the BBB will say and do anything to keep that AAA rating for a member, including creating a phony investigation of the complaint.

The have a lock on the market in CA, you have to go through the BBB before you can file a complaint with the AG office in that state!

That was the situation when I was dealing with an unscrupulous dealer in So Cal....

My bank had to get involved with the stop payment on my credit card....The DELAY caused by the BBB " investigation " nearly allowed the purchase and defective item to go through...

When it comes to working with Craigslist, always deal in cash. Furthermore, you take a chance on the item being defective, that is why the prices should be low and the item treted as AS-IS, just like it was at the flea market....
Liz_L

Aurora, CO

#7 Aug 3, 2010
I'm not saying the seller was dumb but nieve. She seems mis-educated on the ways to avoid Craigslist fraud-ers. The buyer has some nerve to make it okay for her to have written a BAD check. THAT ALONE IS FRAUD so she should get in trouble and have to pay for it. These are the people that are going to ruin the entire website for others.
electronic guy

Greeley, CO

#8 Aug 3, 2010
punnisher you nailed it...The BBB is just as corrupt as every other "do good" organization. If you don't sign up and pay them, then they're not interested in you. The longer you pay, the better your rating...

The other picture here is the stupid lady that "could no longer take care of", that she loved soooo much, but was willing to give it to a stranger, for the small price of $150. I know that if I had to get rid of my dogs, I'd sacrifice making money to get them a good home. Serves her rite, greedy....
I just hope the dogs with a good family that won't "sell" it off when times get tough

Denver, CO

#9 Aug 3, 2010
This woman isn't stupid, or greedy if you don't charge a rehoming fee dogs could end up in a puppy mill!! She has a contract with the lady and a paper trail. I think the woman who stole the dog should be arrested. This is considered "Theft by deception" it is a misdemeanor crime and the woman should be stopped!!
CRS States 18-4-401.
Theft .
Statute text
(1) A person commits theft when he knowingly obtains or exercises control over anything of value of another without authorization, or by threat or deception, and:
(a) Intends to deprive the other person permanently of the use or benefit of the thing of value; or
(b) Knowingly uses, conceals, or abandons the thing of value in such manner as to deprive the other person permanently of its use or benefit; or
(c) Uses, conceals, or abandons the thing of value intending that such use, concealment, or abandonment will deprive the other person permanently of its use and benefit; or
(d) Demands any consideration to which he is not legally entitled as a condition of restoring the thing of value to the other person.
(1.5) For the purposes of this section, a thing of value is that of "another" if anyone other than the defendant has a possessory or proprietary interest therein

It is a class 2 misdemeanor if the value of the thing involved is less than five hundred dollars;
Kathryn

Denver, CO

#11 Aug 3, 2010
Thank you for all of your posts...you are all way TOO KIND!! I was duped and am a dummy for being so trusting...guess there are just a bunch BAD people out there.:) My purpose was to inform people of the scam and warn others to keep Jeni AWAAY...not my ignorance of accepting a bad check...lol. I will be pursuing an arrest for this woman, I agree she needs to be stopped. As for the money, we are not worried....but for all of you who commented about taking a check....Colorado law states that we can recover 3 times the amount of the bad check(now who's dumb?!) As for our puppy Kahlua, I pray she is in a good home and will be loved and well taken care of, maybe the owners will contact me to let me know she is in good hands.
OOOO YEAH

Denver, CO

#12 Aug 3, 2010
More info about Jeni scammer!!! Please get her!!

Council settles claim.
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/09/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

The Denver City Council on Monday settled for $10,000 a claim filed on behalf of a woman who contended two police officers threw her against a wall, handcuffed her and threatened to jail her.
The settlement will go to the woman, Jeni Beyer, and her law firm.
A claim filed with the city on Beyer's behalf said the officers were dispatched to an apartment building on East Dartmouth Avenue about 11 p.m. on Feb. 28, 2009, on a welfare check.
It contends that Beyer came out to talk to the officers and told them she wanted to call 911 to make sure they were actual officers. The claim said the officers responded by coming into the apartment and manhandling her by throwing her against a wall and handcuffing her. They charged her with violation of duty to aid, which the city attorney later dismissed.
nicegirl

United States

#13 Aug 3, 2010
Thank god these person is not Mexican....

because here every one balmes illegals for everything....
5th grader

Fort Collins, CO

#14 Aug 4, 2010
Kathryn wrote:
Thank you for all of your posts...you are all way TOO KIND!! I was duped and am a dummy for being so trusting...guess there are just a bunch BAD people out there.:) My purpose was to inform people of the scam and warn others to keep Jeni AWAAY...not my ignorance of accepting a bad check...lol. I will be pursuing an arrest for this woman, I agree she needs to be stopped. As for the money, we are not worried....but for all of you who commented about taking a check....Colorado law states that we can recover 3 times the amount of the bad check(now who's dumb?!) As for our puppy Kahlua, I pray she is in a good home and will be loved and well taken care of, maybe the owners will contact me to let me know she is in good hands.
Don't be so naive. You won't get a dime from this person unless they pay you off. You will have to sue in small claims, get a judgement, then try to figure out where she hides her assets. Then, after a year, you may collect if she's not in jail. All in the name of taking a check. If she has no money, what are you going to do? If she sold the dog, then where is the money she got? I'm sorry you were taken adavantage of, but if you are going to play in the street you need to watch out for the cars. Assume people are out to get you when online and quit this "trust" stuff before you get hurt or killed.
Dr Ruth

Englewood, CO

#15 Aug 4, 2010
One cannot trust anybody on Craigs List
lmb

Denver, CO

#16 Aug 4, 2010
What about the welfare of this poor, little puppy? While it's too bad Kathryn was ripped off of her $150.00, I'm more worried about where the puppy ended up. Three homes in a couple of days? Why bring an animal into your life if you can't take care of it?
Kate

Platteville, CO

#19 Aug 4, 2010
I would never have accepted a check! Cash only!
C I F

Denver, CO

#20 Aug 4, 2010
CASH IN FIST!! where have you been!
EDD

Rochester, NY

#21 Aug 4, 2010
LOL, seriously?!??! Who in their right mind would take a check?
Deeanna

London, UK

#22 Aug 4, 2010
Wow! She didn't exactly go about rehoming her puppy very well - her first priority should have been checking out Jeni and her home to make sure she was genuine and would be a good owner of her puppy. It sounds like she just cares about the $150!

Deeanna

http://www.pups-seeking-homes.com
http://www.pups-seeking-homes.com/blog
Richard

Reston, VA

#23 Aug 4, 2010
She may have been scammed out of the $150, but she's got something even better: a bad check.

That check contains valuable information like the person's bank account number and the Routing number, etc. She could clean out that woman's account (whenever funds are deposited) and really do some serious havoc if she wants to, with that information. She could sell it to identity thieves, set up an electronic withdrawl, or any number of other things to make the scammer woman really regret writing that bad check.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brighton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 min The_Box 20,009
Local Denver Street Gang Gets Exposure! (Mar '10) 6 hr lil dub 270
The horrible murder of Brandy Duvall. (Aug '11) 11 hr _123_luv 43
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 12 hr tbird19482 17,448
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 18 hr The_Box 3,248
You rule the planet. How do you save the human... (Dec '12) 19 hr Kawalski 1,322
~:Any Word:~ (Sep '13) Mon Red_Forman 107
More from around the web

Brighton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]