Summit man held in lieu of $2 million...

Summit man held in lieu of $2 million bail in wife's shooting d...

There are 22 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 15, 2008, titled Summit man held in lieu of $2 million bail in wife's shooting d.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A Summit man accused of fatally shooting his wife was ordered held in lieu of $2 million bail Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anne Snudden Detroit MI

Wixom, MI

#1 Jan 15, 2008
He was "mad at her---she wouldn't leave me alone."
That is classic domestic violence abuser talk. Blame the victim for the assault. She wouldn't leave him alone, so he shot her four times. It was her fault.
The police chief said it was a terrible tragedy, but it was more than that, it was a crime.
The death of Elizabeth Rodriguez isn't simply a tragedy that just happened, like falling out of a window, or tripping and bumping your head, or being injured or killed by a natural disaster.
Ms. Rodriguez' death was due to a violent and abusive act, an abuse of power, an assault, that was committed by a person who is a criminal just as much as a murderer who kills people at random.
Her death didn't just happen, and she didn't cause it.
But it is a tragedy.
It is a continuing tragedy called domestic violence, which kills at least three women each and every day in the United States, and causes many serious but frequently unreported physical and emotional injuries, with resulting high costs to the larger society. Domestic violence affects every age group, ethnicity, and economic class.
It is time that we as a society pay attention to this continuing human rights tragedy, call it what it is, address its causes, and do what we can to prevent it. We must provide assistance to women who need protection and safe shelter, and who need to rebuild their shattered lives.
We need to teach our children that each person deserves respect, and in turn, must respect others, male or female, large or small. Bullying of any kind is not acceptable, and will not be tolerated. We need to teach them that domestic violence is bullying pure and simple; an abuse of power within a relationship that is supposed to be loving, kind, and supportive.
We also must insist on consequences to those individuals who abuse their partners. We need to give abusers the message, at the first occurrence, that abuse is not acceptable, and will result in criminal charges and appropriate punishment. Only by interceding in this societal problem, as a society, will we bring justice to domestic violence victims and survivors, and bring these tragedies to a halt.
Please inform your readers that help is available at the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE(7233).
Anne Snudden
Serenity Services
Detroit, MI
Michelle

Chicago, IL

#3 Jan 15, 2008
First and FOREMOST, this was not a "classic domestic violence" situation, this was a man who was married to his wife for 33 years and have 3 beautiful, grown daughters who are supporting him right now because they know as family members that this was not the person who he was. No one knows including immediate family what happened in that house, and all that the media is reporting are the worst bits and pieces of his conversation with the police. As a friend of the family, there was no history of domestic violence. And as for "myself" - how ignorant are you to automatically assume that they are immigrants. This is family who is well respected and loved in the community. For people who do not know this family to post on this website such things is vile, especially when the daughters read this. Perhaps you should think about that before you post such things.

“live life to the fullest”

Since: Jan 08

Winfield, IL.

#8 Jan 16, 2008
DEM wrote:
<quoted text>
You are kidding right? When did the "United" States of America
become "MY" country as you say??
YOU are the one who is ruining this
country, by being the bigot you are. This family is suffering and you have the audacity to post such racist comments when you know absolutely nothing of them. If you HAVE AN ISSUE with Daley, then MOVE!!! Hey moran, here's an idea, place this type of posting on the City's site, or maybe the mayor's office and leave these girls alone to grieve their loss in PEACE!
Thank you Dem! This was a well loved and respected family. They worked hard and always gave back to the community. My children went to school with the Rodrigez girls, and I also knew Liz and Mike. It's such a horrible tragedy. All my love and Prayers are with them.

Winfield, IL.

#9 Jan 16, 2008
Michelle wrote:
First and FOREMOST, this was not a "classic domestic violence" situation, this was a man who was married to his wife for 33 years and have 3 beautiful, grown daughters who are supporting him right now because they know as family members that this was not the person who he was. No one knows including immediate family what happened in that house, and all that the media is reporting are the worst bits and pieces of his conversation with the police. As a friend of the family, there was no history of domestic violence. And as for "myself" - how ignorant are you to automatically assume that they are immigrants. This is family who is well respected and loved in the community. For people who do not know this family to post on this website such things is vile, especially when the daughters read this. Perhaps you should think about that before you post such things.
I agree; Mike was a good father and husband. This is not his character. I have known the family for years and have never known him to be anything but kind and respectful. I don't think Liz would have been with him for 33 years, if it were an abusive relationship. Her spirit was too strong.

As a domestic abuse survivor, I know what a strain that puts on kids. Mike and Liz raised three beautiful daughters together; they are successful, loving and caring people that were very close to their Mom and Dad.

This is nothing more than an isolated tragic event. We do not know what caused it, but we all need to be there for the girls and believe in their support of their father.
DEM

Chicago, IL

#10 Jan 16, 2008
pixiedragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Dem! This was a well loved and respected family. They worked hard and always gave back to the community. My children went to school with the Rodrigez girls, and I also knew Liz and Mike. It's such a horrible tragedy. All my love and Prayers are with them.
It was my pleasure, I also know them,my daughter is a good friend of theirs and A has been at my house numerous times. I'm just fed up reading the garbage that people from across the city and country right in this type of forum when they have
no clue what is going on. To see these girls have to defend themselves and their family during this time of grief is the most sickening thing I've ever witnessed!

Winfield, IL.

#12 Jan 16, 2008
DEM wrote:
<quoted text>
It was my pleasure, I also know them,my daughter is a good friend of theirs and A has been at my house numerous times. I'm just fed up reading the garbage that people from across the city and country right in this type of forum when they have
no clue what is going on. To see these girls have to defend themselves and their family during this time of grief is the most sickening thing I've ever witnessed!
These people just say stupid things that have nothing to do with this. I just hope the girls over look them and know that they are loved and these other people can kiss their ass. I have gone on several band trips with Liz and Mike and even roomed next to them when we went to Nashville. They were always a loving fun couple to be around.
MsC

Chicago, IL

#18 Jan 17, 2008
I just wanted to say how sorry I am for what has happened to you three girls and your families. I didn't know your parents very well or for very long, but the times I had been with them, I found them to be kind, friendly people. I pray that God gives all of you extra strength during this time of grief. Please ignore all the crap that's been posted here. Know that you have friends and family to lean on now, and I'm one of them. Remember that your mom will always be with you in spirit and she will continue to watch over you always. Love to you all.
baby girl

Carrollton, TX

#24 Jan 18, 2008
lockportgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
they should lock u up for just being a LOSER!
I agree!
baby girl

Carrollton, TX

#25 Jan 18, 2008
Dan-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you against illegal immigration?
yes actaully I am.
lockportgirl

United States

#27 Jan 18, 2008
Billy Ray wrote:
I stop in Summit everyday on my way home to take a leak on Archer Avenue.
nice name-- LOSER!

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#29 Jan 18, 2008
baby girl wrote:
<quoted text>
yes actaully I am.
That's great, and you're Mexican...You are a rare find. Why aren't there more like you out there protesting this illegal issue?
lockportgirl

United States

#30 Jan 18, 2008
Billy Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to go on a diet and get your teeth fixed.
well, u need to go the doc and get all the verruca removed. maybe that is why u have to stop to take a leak instead of holding until u get to your hubcap u call home!
baby girl

Carrollton, TX

#31 Jan 18, 2008
Dan-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great, and you're Mexican...You are a rare find. Why aren't there more like you out there protesting this illegal issue?
Well I'm not protesting this, I just think that if they have lived in the U.S for awhile they should have gotten their citizenship, learned English, and learned their rights

Chicago

#32 Jan 18, 2008
baby girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I'm not protesting this, I just think that if they have lived in the U.S for awhile they should have gotten their citizenship, learned English, and learned their rights
Why not? I don't see why latino people in general are not offended by illegals. If I'm latino and had to wait years to get in this country and once in had to follow the laws set forth then I would be really upset that the person next door to me broke the law and took the fast illegal way in. But I do not see this anger from latinos. Based on your comments above you state that " they should have gotten their citizenship" if they lived here for awhile, well what if they jumped the border? Do you think that it's O.K for illegals to break the law then ask for a pass because they didn't get caught for a few years? And illegals do not have any rights in this country except a right to a deportation hearing and the right to be treated humanely.(No cruel & Unusual punishment)
DEM

Chicago, IL

#33 Jan 18, 2008
Dan-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not? I don't see why latino people in general are not offended by illegals. If I'm latino and had to wait years to get in this country and once in had to follow the laws set forth then I would be really upset that the person next door to me broke the law and took the fast illegal way in. But I do not see this anger from latinos. Based on your comments above you state that " they should have gotten their citizenship" if they lived here for awhile, well what if they jumped the border? Do you think that it's O.K for illegals to break the law then ask for a pass because they didn't get caught for a few years? And illegals do not have any rights in this country except a right to a deportation hearing and the right to be treated humanely.(No cruel & Unusual punishment)
OMG!!! This is not an illegal issue, this family is as AMERICAN as you and I are. The only difference between you and I is I'm not a racist that just assumes things because of someones name. LEAVE THIS FAMILY ALONE
baby girl

Carrollton, TX

#34 Jan 18, 2008
Why would I be offended? Thats their problem. I didnt earn my citizenship, I was born here. And I'm not referring to a few years I know to become a citizen you have to prove you have been living here for like 20-30 years, pass the constitution or government test have a clean background no felonies. Your right illegals dont have rights but its not just Mexicans coming to the U.S. Just cuz they border the U.S. everyone thinks they are the only Immigrants here. Thats wrong! Look at all the other races that are Immigrants. I'm tired of hearing people tell Mexicans to go back to their country, I'm Mexican and this is my country and what? I was born and raised here, I was granted scholarships, grants, loans, I received my education here so I have as much rights as any White person living in the U.S.

Chicago

#35 Jan 18, 2008
This is exactly what I mean....Well put it this way. If someone on my block got away with a crime and then I committed the same crime and was arrested, I'd be upset. I use the term illegals with means all illegals from everywhere, not just Mexico. The funny thing you're not getting is why people are saying negative things to mexicans, it's because you are on the side of illegals. By saying and doing nothing people are grouping even good latinos in the same basket. It's sad but all the American people see is 100,000's of latinos waving mexican flags and shouting give us amnesty. The truth is that a very small percentage of those at the marches are illegal, so to me that means that latinos are backing the illegals. And this is how alot people see it. Illegals are criminals, just the same as robbers and they should be treated the same, not given amnesty or anything else.
baby girl

Carrollton, TX

#36 Jan 18, 2008
DEM wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG!!! This is not an illegal issue, this family is as AMERICAN as you and I are. The only difference between you and I is I'm not a racist that just assumes things because of someones name. LEAVE THIS FAMILY ALONE
I'm Sorry I know the Rodriguez family, I live in Summit, we're not saying they are immigrants we are off the subject about this tragic loss. I just had to comment about people posting racist comments on here. Its a website where people talk and chat what else would you expect and how is posting comments on a headline or story offending the family?
DEM

Chicago, IL

#37 Jan 18, 2008
baby girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm Sorry I know the Rodriguez family, I live in Summit, we're not saying they are immigrants we are off the subject about this tragic loss. I just had to comment about people posting racist comments on here. Its a website where people talk and chat what else would you expect and how is posting comments on a headline or story offending the family?
Because the family is seeing and hearing all this that is online. Why do you think their daughter during her time of grief has had to come on these pages to tell all of those who spew the racist remarks and speak of abuse that they know nothing. If you TRULY knew the family then you would know that!

True there are websites for "chatting"...called chat rooms USE ONE and not on the tragic story here!

Chicago

#39 Jan 20, 2008
DEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in any one of my posts did I say anything negative about this family in the article? Me and another poster are talking about illegal immigration so why are just jumping in and calling me a racist? I'm against illegal immigration....If that makes me a racist, whatever..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A cowardly excuse for a man 2 hr Bob 51
Joe Gatrell's vaunted slate 5 hr Be a grown up 2
Snow removal, 2014 (Feb '14) 5 hr Seriously 228
Illinois State Legislators Want Something For N... 6 hr Withhold Payment 9
Brothel in our community 10 hr Jake 5
Chicago Rdige Trustee 13 hr The Skirt 24
recount going for Hillary in wisconsin 14 hr Marky Mark 7

Bridgeview Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance