Charges dropped against Tinley Park woman who left child in car

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 13, 2008, titled Charges dropped against Tinley Park woman who left child in car. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

While a Tinley Park woman celebrated, the Crestwood police chief said he was disappointed that prosecutors Thursday dropped charges of child endangerment and obstruction of justice against her for leaving her ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Terry

Argenteuil, France

#1 Mar 14, 2008
It is INSANITY that the police wouldn't let this go. The law has a very good purpose, but to suggest that a toddler who is asleep in her car seat for 5 or 10 minutes unattended AT NIGHT (no less) is endangerment is going beyond the realm of reason, and of recognizing the realities of life. When did the state believe it became a better parent? This is not a case of abuse, of neglect, or even of stupidity - this was sensible thinking.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Alarmed

Pointe-claire, Canada

#2 Mar 14, 2008
It makes me really upset when the police lose all common sense like in this case. With all the real crime in Chicago the officers in this case should start doing their jobs not being part of the problem. Just imagine all the real perps that walked past them as they were trying to frame a loving mom. Wow!
Confused

Kerrville, TX

#3 Mar 14, 2008
Hate to play the race card here, but if this woman was black, charges would have been filed.
Old School

United States

#4 Mar 14, 2008
you all need to get a life, Its time to use some common sense I know there are some strange people in this world but .
Archie

United States

#5 Mar 14, 2008
The police constantly abuse their power, often relying unreliable sources such as "community service" officers who are little more that drone-iish, uneducated and unsophisticated high school grads. Most of these folks are bullies when it comes to dealing with the public.
Jane

Elmwood Park, IL

#6 Mar 14, 2008
First of all, I am glad the charges were dropped. What a waste of money to go forward. However, this is still not all of the story. I read another version that said she refused to even give the police the name of the child. This was after she called her husband and he told her not to say another word til he got there.(Haven't read anywhere, is this guy a lawyer?) It was her behavior that lead to the arrest. The police's view is that the child could have been kidnapped. And sure, it's easy now to say 'Oh that's ridiculous.' But if it turned out differently, everyone would be tsk, tsk-ing and shaking their heads saying 'What a shame the police didn't do something.'
Chris Parsons OBE

UK

#7 Mar 14, 2008
This decision must be extremely difficult to accept for police officers that were acting in the best interest of the safety and well being of this child.
Even more difficult when one considers that any owner of a dog would no doubt be prosecuted for leaving it in a locked car.
charlie

Parkersburg, WV

#8 Mar 14, 2008
Confused wrote:
Hate to play the race card here, but if this woman was black, charges would have been filed.
Can't you read? She was charged!!! And leave your stupid racial comments out of here, at least this baby's father showed up in court...
XDEM

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#9 Mar 14, 2008
If the car had been taken with the child inside, would she have told the police not to risk their lives finding her? What a moron she is. I hope she learned her lesson.
XDEM

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#10 Mar 14, 2008
Alarmed wrote:
It makes me really upset when the police lose all common sense like in this case. With all the real crime in Chicago the officers in this case should start doing their jobs not being part of the problem. Just imagine all the real perps that walked past them as they were trying to frame a loving mom. Wow!
You are so right. They should have waited untill the car and child were stolen and then recovered the body. I am sure that would have been the better solution.
john

Davenport, FL

#11 Mar 14, 2008
Probably the same officer who hancuffed a 72 year old woman a few years ago for putting a quarter in it for some one elses car....what a hero...what a man ...what a brain..also the same for his superiors for defending such idiotic behavior
daly

Washington, DC

#12 Mar 14, 2008
We should commend the police...at least they didnt
taser and/or beat her like they did that poor polish
bartender.
donna

Breckenridge, CO

#13 Mar 14, 2008
Of course she refused to cooperate she had a sleeping toddler in the car ten feet from her. Cops are idiots. They no longer protect and serve now they intimidate and try to control.
Dawn

Tampa, FL

#14 Mar 14, 2008
How was the child supposed to be kidnapped from a locked car with the alarm set? And why did she have any reason to give the name of the child? What possible relevance could that have to leaving her "unattended"?
Dawn

Tampa, FL

#15 Mar 14, 2008
XDEM wrote:
If the car had been taken with the child inside, would she have told the police not to risk their lives finding her? What a moron she is. I hope she learned her lesson.
The car was locked and the alarm was on - how do you figure this car would be stolen?
mom of 4

United States

#16 Mar 14, 2008
I do agree that leaving the child unattended in the car wasn't the best decision. I also think the police should have questioned her and gave her a warning, but the whole charges scenario was a bit overdramatic. If it were me, I would have dropped off the older girls, stayed in the car with my 2 year old and zoomed in for the pics. 5-10 minutes is a long time.
Lauren

Fullerton, CA

#17 Mar 14, 2008
You don't leave a sleeping baby in the car unattended, period. If someone hits your parked car or manages to break in and steal it (and this can be done in a few minutes if you're 70 feet away and distracted), you don't get a second chance. Your baby is in danger or dead, because you were irresponsible and tried to multi-task with too many kids. She seems like a sad little moron.
Lauren

Fullerton, CA

#18 Mar 14, 2008
wow they bleeped out mo-ron!
Dave

Boise, ID

#19 Mar 14, 2008
We have allowed ourselves to live in a policed state. This is a little difference from a police state, but not much. When I see a cop, I am afraid, because they have too much power for their general education level. Its a big problem.
rmoore080

United States

#20 Mar 14, 2008
What a circus! What we have here are not police officers - they're yahoos with an agenda. I guess it must have been a slow day, and the when you get a female police officer confronting a 'soccer-mom', claws are going to come out. The police sergeant should have put a stop to this, but SINCE HE WAS DATING THE FIRST OFFICER, he put his professionalism aside.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeview Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Edward Moody (Mar '14) 5 min was there 13
Looking for District 228 parents 37 min George 6
HUGE shakeup in District #228 39 min Timmy 8
Another misconduct law suit for BIPD 50 min 2337isb 13
" I'm authorized to park illegally by Mike Corn... 1 hr Fact 14
News Jury Sides with Sheriff's Cops in Lawsuit over ... 2 hr OF RES 2
vfw 5 hr trumbull 4
More from around the web

Bridgeview People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE