Unions Upset Over Bridgeton Municipal...

Unions Upset Over Bridgeton Municipal Center Contract

There are 9 comments on the Fox2Now story from Oct 21, 2009, titled Unions Upset Over Bridgeton Municipal Center Contract. In it, Fox2Now reports that:

The Bridgeton, Missouri, mayor cast the tie-breaking vote Wednesday night to award a controversial contract for the electrical work at the new Bridgeton Government Center being built on Natural Bridge Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox2Now.

Charlie Bean

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 22, 2009
Cheaper isn't always better. Statistics show that when you use union contractors, the job gets done right, gets done on schedule, and doesn't have to be done a second or third time. Wake up America! Unions built this country.
Citizen 6510

United States

#2 Oct 22, 2009
Wake up Charlie Bean! The article clearly states that the lower bid was by a union contractor. They should go with the cheaper bid, rather than use the extra money charged for kickbacks.
Stacy

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Oct 22, 2009
Both are not "union" shops in the traditional sense. Bell is a part of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Worker which is affiliated with/recognized by the AFL-CIO. Crown claims to be "union" because it belongs to the IEC, however it is not recognized by the AFL-CIO. It is open shop while IBEW is quite selective about who gets in. I know quite a few people who had to take math courses at the community colleges just to qualify to become an apprentice for IBEW, and I know quite a few who were denied by IBEW because they did not have a strong enough academic background.
citizen

Saint Louis, MO

#5 Oct 22, 2009
Stacy wrote:
Both are not "union" shops in the traditional sense. Bell is a part of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Worker which is affiliated with/recognized by the AFL-CIO. Crown claims to be "union" because it belongs to the IEC, however it is not recognized by the AFL-CIO. It is open shop while IBEW is quite selective about who gets in. I know quite a few people who had to take math courses at the community colleges just to qualify to become an apprentice for IBEW, and I know quite a few who were denied by IBEW because they did not have a strong enough academic background.
Blind Stacy-Wow, your first remark makes no sense. Both are not "union" shops?? WTF? OMG! Wake up people!!!!!!!!!!Get your facts in order instead of speculating and guessing. Come on, really! Dont bother posting something if you dont KNOW what you are talking about.
Kyle Hunter

United States

#6 Oct 22, 2009
What kind of past problems qualify as not that serious, and is the Mayor getting even with one of the many groups that supported the Lambert expansion?
Bridgeton Resident

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Oct 24, 2009
First, Crown is a member of a US-DOL approved union, the CIU (Congress of Independent Unions), which has no affiliation with the IEC. They are not a member of the AFL-CIO, which is their point. The IEC is a contractor's association, not a union. Second, Stacey, the IBEW is selective, like whether or not your Dad, Uncle, Brother, Grandpa, can get you in. Grades have nothing to do with it. The IEC's apprenticeship program includes a math class to help apprentices be refreshed with the necessary math to be an electrician.
Third, and most important. This is a Prevailing wage job, so ALL employees are paid the same on the project, that being equal, the taxpayers of Bridgeton shouldn't have to be pay an extra $80,000 just so labor bosses get their share.
mary

Florissant, MO

#8 Oct 25, 2009
I think the unions would do better if they worried more for there members. I was a union worker local 655 until 6-27-2009 when I was let go with about 14 others. The union knew several months in advance that we were loosing our jobs to non union workers and didn't even inform us much less fight for our jobs.That was money for union dues down the drain.
Stacy

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Nov 7, 2009
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Blind Stacy-Wow, your first remark makes no sense. Both are not "union" shops??****? OMG! Wake up people!!!!!!!!!!Get your facts in order instead of speculating and guessing. Come on, really! Dont bother posting something if you dont KNOW what you are talking about.
You might want to actually read the entire remark, I said in the traditional sense. Traditionally unions are a part of the AFL-CIO.
Stacy

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Nov 7, 2009
Bridgeton Resident wrote:
First, Crown is a member of a US-DOL approved union, the CIU (Congress of Independent Unions), which has no affiliation with the IEC. They are not a member of the AFL-CIO, which is their point. The IEC is a contractor's association, not a union. Second, Stacey, the IBEW is selective, like whether or not your Dad, Uncle, Brother, Grandpa, can get you in. Grades have nothing to do with it. The IEC's apprenticeship program includes a math class to help apprentices be refreshed with the necessary math to be an electrician.
Third, and most important. This is a Prevailing wage job, so ALL employees are paid the same on the project, that being equal, the taxpayers of Bridgeton shouldn't have to be pay an extra $80,000 just so labor bosses get their share.
Well here are the links to Crown's website and IEC (which Crown belongs to as stated on the website, but their membership with the CIU is not mentioned, funny). See how "union" and "pro-worker" this "union" shop really is...Also, as I stated before I know those who have been accepted and rejected from IBEW. The old "boys" club at IBEW doesn't exist anymore, amazingly they have actually changed with the times. Regardless of your "connections" if you don't have the academics, you aren't getting in.

http://www.crownelectrical.com/index.php
www.ieci.org - check out the government affairs section, very interesting
For your reading pleasure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
and then it is winter 22 hr Marcus Welby 3
Hillary's $145M Kickback Sun Enter Username 5
Quote Of The Week (Mar '15) Oct 21 Marcus Welby 232
so-cial-ism (Feb '16) Oct 21 Enter Username 52
Prop P Scam alert Oct 21 Marcus Welby 22
Do the black people that work at mcdonalds, spi... (Jul '10) Oct 21 roxaneskeet 45
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) Oct 21 hmmmm 2,062

Bridgeton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bridgeton Mortgages