Hope still remains for malls discount apparel store

Aug 22, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Charleston Daily Mail

There's hope some of the Steve & Barry's stores in West Virginia will remain open.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jan 23, 2012
Johnny B

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

Judged:

I work for the company and unfortunately all WV stores are closing. this hurts, especially considering collective our WV stores receive upwards of $250,000 annually in clothing vouchers---which is no small sum considering our merchandise is $8.98 or less.
1 post removed
Mindy C

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2008

What store, Steve & Barrys? How come they are closing, that is sad. Noticed your in Bridgeport, I am in Fairmont
Johnny B

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

Judged:

Mindy
Hey mindy,
yeah Steve & Barry's is closing....ALL 6 of it's WV stores.:( the reason? We kept our prices low to stay in tune with the economy but because we kept cost of the merchandise so low it was just too hard to make the business profitable at all locations. 106 stores (the least profitable) are soon to be gone.

I see you're from PA, now in Fairmont. School? Welcome to the area...post again soon :)
Kara

Staunton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Bring. Them back. We need help in Huntington9!
1 post removed

Since: Oct 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

Yep. We need a good source of cheap clothing, and there's also thousands of children in China who need a job.
1 post removed
Really

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Will someone pick up a news paper. They have been completely out of business for a year. They are not coming back.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

-Mountain MaMa- wrote:
But you will pay over a hundred dollars for Nike shoes made by Vietnames kids. Nike manufactors all shoes there now.
Agreed. We don't need cheaper clothing, food, etc...anyway. It wouldn't be an issue if our politicians would do something to bring jobs to the area and better the economy. Then, people could afford to buy decent things.
Beavis

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

Really wrote:
Will someone pick up a news paper. They have been completely out of business for a year. They are not coming back.
You're right, I picked up a paper today and it did not have any new stories about Steve & Berry's. I did see, however, that the Peanuts were up to their usual shenanigans.
Waiting for Internet

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

sempron wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. We don't need cheaper clothing, food, etc...anyway. It wouldn't be an issue if our politicians would do something to bring jobs to the area and better the economy. Then, people could afford to buy decent things.
hee hee. Run away with me. lol.

Seriously, I couldn't have said it better myself. Most of the people I know seem to be CONSTANTLY consuming...just buy, buy, buy and it's 99% JUNK!! Clothing, shoes, cheap plastic jewelry, on and on...and it's made by CHILD SLAVES.

And if I want to get along with people...I just have to smile and say, "very pretty"...but inside, I'm disgusted. And the next step is you see people just like the ones I've described...five years down the road...on tv's "Hoarders" and all the crap that the children made,(while being denied human rights and education) is being piled into trucks and hauled to the landfills. And so many of these same women are the first to act incredibly sentimental about cute kids on youtube, etc.

Doesn't it make more sense to pay a little more for clothes that will last a few years? I admit, I've bought a couple of hoodies at Steve & Barry's. The zipper on one broke after the first use, and both pilled and faded so badly after the second wash that they are only fit to paint the house with.

I sew a few of my own clothes...stuff lasts for EVER. Women don't want to operate a sewing machine...it isn't "liberated". Well, help liberate those victimized children. Stop mindlessly piling up crap.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Judged:

Waiting for Internet wrote:
<quoted text>
hee hee. Run away with me. lol.
Seriously, I couldn't have said it better myself. Most of the people I know seem to be CONSTANTLY consuming...just buy, buy, buy and it's 99% JUNK!! Clothing, shoes, cheap plastic jewelry, on and on...and it's made by CHILD SLAVES.
And if I want to get along with people...I just have to smile and say, "very pretty"...but inside, I'm disgusted. And the next step is you see people just like the ones I've described...five years down the road...on tv's "Hoarders" and all the crap that the children made,(while being denied human rights and education) is being piled into trucks and hauled to the landfills. And so many of these same women are the first to act incredibly sentimental about cute kids on youtube, etc.
Doesn't it make more sense to pay a little more for clothes that will last a few years? I admit, I've bought a couple of hoodies at Steve & Barry's. The zipper on one broke after the first use, and both pilled and faded so badly after the second wash that they are only fit to paint the house with.
I sew a few of my own clothes...stuff lasts for EVER. Women don't want to operate a sewing machine...it isn't "liberated". Well, help liberate those victimized children. Stop mindlessly piling up crap.
I once knew a contractor who stated that he couldn't afford to buy cheap tools. Said he wasn't "rich" lol! I did laugh at the time, but now I know exactly what he meant. We really aren't saving much (if anything) by purchasing all this garbage. We are KILLING ourselves with this overseas crap and countries like China, Indonesia, Pakistan, etc. are laughing all the way to the bank.:(

Oh...and where do u wanna go? ;D
Waiting for Internet

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

sempron wrote:
<quoted text>
I once knew a contractor who stated that he couldn't afford to buy cheap tools. Said he wasn't "rich" lol! I did laugh at the time, but now I know exactly what he meant. We really aren't saving much (if anything) by purchasing all this garbage. We are KILLING ourselves with this overseas crap and countries like China, Indonesia, Pakistan, etc. are laughing all the way to the bank.:(
Oh...and where do u wanna go? ;D
Somewhere we can run the joint right. lol. All of our people will be well-fed and happy, and employed. Oh, and free Bubble-Up, too! ;)

I like that quote. I saw a sign on a plumber's van once that said, "Pay more but pay once!" I loved that.:)
1 post removed
Really

Clarksburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Beavis wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, I picked up a paper today and it did not have any new stories about Steve & Berry's. I did see, however, that the Peanuts were up to their usual shenanigans.
Your right I looked up and peanuts were up to their same old tricks. I was only pointing out that if people would spend 1 minute looking for information. Threads like this would die when it was time. And all this hope about Steve and Barry's moving back would be lost. Then people could get back to buying there cheap cloths at WalMart like it's meant to be.

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Steve and Barry's was nice. Better than the overpriced place that is in there now.
Hidy-Ho

Huntington, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2012

what's there now? Isn't it a Hallmark store?

Smirk .. ;-)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2012

Heh, no.. some sports gear store that is over-priced. I can't remember the name.

I rarely go to the mall.

Smirk .. ;-)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2012

The GCM was a lot cooler when it had fountains, ducks, a huge bird-cage, and actually an atmosphere people would want to hang out in.

Now it's just another generic mall.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Bridgeport Forum right now

Search the Bridgeport Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 8 min fitness-guru 54,057
Local Employment 15 min cry babies 5
Easy chicks 2 3 hr Skanktown 52
E Cigarettes poison 3 hr ChromiuMan 14
stealy beating (Dec '13) 17 hr Fishhook 46
How do you think the mountaineers are going to ... 17 hr Fishhook 5
Alex- why ya' do me like this? 23 hr casual observer 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bridgeport Jobs

•••