Four Ways The Solar Boom Has Rattled Utilities

There are 20 comments on the Forbes.com story from Sep 23, 2013, titled Four Ways The Solar Boom Has Rattled Utilities. In it, Forbes.com reports that:

The U.S. boom in solar installations has disrupted revenue, workflow, and forecasting at large utilities, according to utility consultants, partners and affiliates who gathered this morning in Chicago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Forbes.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Sep 24, 2013
""The cost of solar power has declined from $5 or $6 per watt in 2008 to $2, Jones said, and some experts forecast it will drop to as low as 30 or 40 cents per watt by the time the tax credit expires.

“This is no longer sort of the bleeding edge technology or niche market,” Klein said.“This is considered big business now and it’s continuing to grow.”"

To survive utilities will have to get into the storage business. With TW of storage nationwide one could actually transition to a transportation that is largely based on electric instead of some fuel based model. One model called V2G or Voltage to grid, would have distributed power generation on homes and businesses with battery storage. The distributed batteries could also act as excess power storage devices and also as extra capacity when grid surges, sags occur.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#2 Sep 24, 2013
should the utilities have to get into the storage business. Solar should be required to provide the same reliability as any other source, and bear the cost of doing so. Otherwise, it is another case of theft by solar mandate.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#3 Sep 24, 2013
Dang... Why should the utilities...
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#4 Sep 24, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
should the utilities have to get into the storage business. Solar should be required to provide the same reliability as any other source, and bear the cost of doing so. Otherwise, it is another case of theft by solar mandate.
That's what V2G is dumbass. How's that LFTR wet dream of yours coming along? DO NOTHING Kiteman, yeah they should, we should, YOU should lead, follow or get the hell out of the way. Dang!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#5 Sep 24, 2013
The LFTR program is moving long nicely, thank you, propelled by businesses that understand that both renewables AND Natural Gas is a flash in the pan. No government subsidy here, unlike the massive subsidies that the unreliables need to make any money.

Thanks for asking.:P
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#6 Sep 25, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
The LFTR program is moving long nicely, thank you, propelled by businesses that understand that both renewables AND Natural Gas is a flash in the pan. No government subsidy here, unlike the massive subsidies that the unreliables need to make any money.
Thanks for asking.:P
Another lie Kiteman. The NRC is not considering the technology nor will it allow it to be used without review, lots of review, decades of review. The flash in the pan is YOUR flaccid wet dream. You're standing in the freeway Kiteman dance or get run over.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#7 Sep 25, 2013
Think what you will. You are not omniscient.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#8 Sep 25, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Think what you will. You are not omniscient.
Pontificate what YOU will, you are not sentient. You have made it clear the utilities are YOUR masters and you are but a shill for the institutionalized "good". Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#9 Sep 26, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>Pontificate what YOU will, you are not sentient. You have made it clear the utilities are YOUR masters and you are but a shill for the institutionalized "good". Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.
Interesting. A jump to assumed subservience. Suggests you know the position well. What fossil fuel company owns you? After all, as RFK Jr. pointed out, all wind and solar projects are really natural gas projects.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#10 Sep 26, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> Interesting. A jump to assumed subservience. Suggests you know the position well. What fossil fuel company owns you? After all, as RFK Jr. pointed out, all wind and solar projects are really natural gas projects.
The only natural gas here is you cackler.... cackle, thief, cackle, thief....QED

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#11 Sep 27, 2013
So now you say you are a natural gas?
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#12 Sep 27, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
So now you say you are a natural gas?
You can't remember the last lie you told huh, cackler? Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.
masterblaster

Austin, TX

#13 Sep 27, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
The LFTR program is moving long nicely,:P
Sure it is......ROTFLMAO !!!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#14 Sep 29, 2013
masterblaster wrote:
<quoted text>Sure it is......ROTFLMAO !!!
Ignorance is bliss, and you got a LOT of bliss.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#15 Sep 29, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>You can't remember the last lie you told huh, cackler? Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.
I do lead, you fail to see the path I lead on. That is ok, you are immaterial.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#16 Sep 30, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> I do lead, you fail to see the path I lead on. That is ok, you are immaterial.
Leading with B.S. is not leading at all. You would have to DO something to make it "material". NOTHING you have pontificated about has come true, will come true or will be of any consequence. You're worthless Kiteman, Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#17 Sep 30, 2013
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>Leading with B.S. is not leading at all. You would have to DO something to make it "material". NOTHING you have pontificated about has come true, will come true or will be of any consequence. You're worthless Kiteman, Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way.
Your ability to prognosticate is unimpressive.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#18 Sep 30, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
<quoted text> Your ability to prognosticate is unimpressive.
Your ability to say or DO anything relevant is that which would be expected from a entitled Commie A-hole. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. What is it that YOU have DONE to take responsibility for YOUR energy usage?

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#19 Oct 1, 2013
Wow, a total fail on your name calling.
Asked, answered, move on.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#20 Oct 1, 2013
KitemanSA wrote:
Wow, a total fail on your name calling.
Asked, answered, move on.
Liar. Asked repeatedly, NEVER answered, YOU move on commie a-hole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bridgeport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Inside Jann Wenner's Top-Secret Rock and Roll H... Apr 30 Kelly DJ 4
Louis sgroi (Apr '12) Apr 29 Nai 5
News ES-M teacher accused of abusing boy (Jan '06) Apr 21 Mike 9
scum bag of canastota/chittenango dead Apr 20 utica you 3
tuscarora road Apr 19 Dana222 1
Tenants Bolivar landing apartments Apr 14 utica citizen 4
Nail salon Mar '15 Sugar 1
More from around the web

Bridgeport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]